Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #199: Composition in Blue  (Read 2055 times)

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #199: Composition in Blue
« on: September 19, 2023, 12:12:44 pm »
+3

The objective is to design a split pile - of any format - where at least one of the cards in it is a Reaction. With fewer available copies of the Reaction(s), perhaps this could be an interesting challenge...

Add in whatever other mechanics you like. I will judge based on how interesting the pile will be to play long term.

The contest will close at Tuesday 26th September 04:00pm forum time.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #199: Composition in Blue
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2023, 06:31:56 pm »

Hungry Foal
- Action
+1 Action
Choose one: You may trash a card costing from your hand for +1 Card. Or trash this for +3 Cards.

Timid Steed
- Action Reaction
+3 Cards
----
At the start of your turn, you may discard a Treasure to play this from your hand.

Notes: 5 Hungry Foals on top of 5 Timid Steeds. I like that, thematically, you can trash Hungry Foal for the effect of two Horses.

Timid Steed (submitted to a prior contest) can be a Smithy or, at the start of your turn, a Stables. Because you need to meet the Stables discarding condition at the start of your turn, it's harder to chain them at the start of your turn than it would be to play a similar number of Stables (consider a deck with other cards with +Cards besides Timid Steed). It makes up for that in the versatility of being playable as Smithy too.

Hungry Foal can trash your starting Coppers, but with Timid Steed benefiting from them, how many will you want to keep?

BryGuy

• Explorer
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2023, 10:10:18 am »

Fish
Action - Reaction
In 2 or 3 player games, this pile starts with three copies; otherwise this starts with four copies of Red Fish, Green Fish, Small Fish, and More Fish. Shuffle before play.

Red Fish
$3 Action - Reaction - Fish
+1 Card
+$1
+1 Buy
+1 Villager

Return this to the bottom of the Fish pile.
-
When anyone plays a Fish, you may discard this to gain two Fish.

Green Fish
+2 Cards
+1 Villager

-

Small Fish
+$2
+1 Buy
+2 Villagers

-

More Fish
+1 Card
+1 Villager

Trash a card from your Hand to gain a Fish.
-
So i had two ideas and this idea seamed more fun than the Reaction to gain a Loot, apparently there is not one yet. Red Fish is like Market. Green fish is like Laboratory. Small Fish is like Festival. Originally these flipped a Fish token and either you return them or you gain a Fish. Maybe as Reactions they are more interesting? :)

2023021: updated reaction to two Fish and changed cost to coin.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2023, 11:14:41 pm by BryGuy »

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2023, 10:53:20 am »
+5

Wagon - $3
Action

+1 Card
+1 Action
Discard a card. If it was a Reaction or an Attack, +$3.
This turn during Cleanup, do not discard your hand.
Surveyor - $4
Action/Reaction

This turn, when you discard one or more cards, +$1 and +1 Card.
-
When the game would end on another player's turn, you may set this aside from your hand. If you did, the game continues until the end of your next turn.

This is a 5/5 split pile. I had the idea for the Reaction for the last contest, where it did not quite fit. Here it seems perfect!

Note: Surveyor's on-play works because you discard all at once rather than sequentially. So, if you play Scholar, it only triggers once, but if you play two Wagons, it triggers twice.

Surveyor remains set aside until the game really ends, at which point it is returned to your deck.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2023, 12:50:49 pm by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2023, 11:35:29 am »

Super interesting concept, but doesn't Surveyer have loop potential? The way it's worded, if I finish the game and you react with Surveyor, can't I reveal surveyor at the end of your extra turn?

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2023, 11:39:53 am »
+1

I think the idea is that Surveyor stays set aside, so you can only react with one 5 times maximum per game (Faust probably used “set aside” instead of “trash” to avoid possible infinite games with stuff that can gain from the trash).
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2023, 12:58:17 pm »

I didn't mean infinite loops, just the fact that you can react to surveyor turns with your own surveyor

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +493
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2023, 07:55:08 pm »

The objective is to design a split pile - of any format - where at least one of the cards in it is a Reaction. With fewer available copies of the Reaction(s), perhaps this could be an interesting challenge...

Add in whatever other mechanics you like. I will judge based on how interesting the pile will be to play long term.

I have a card idea which is basically a added kingdom card that has the setup that it adds a reaction card to each supply pile in the kingdom, does that fit this contests criteria?
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2023, 09:25:47 pm »
+1

Sir Craftsman
cost $5 - Action - Attack - Knight - Reaction
Each other player reveals the top 2 cards of their deck, trashes one of them costing from $3 to $6, and discards the rest. If a Knight is trashed by this, trash this.
---
When one of your card is trashed, you may discard this from your hand, to gain a card costing up to $5.

EDIT: 11th Knight card for Knights pile from Dark Ages.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 03:58:58 am by majiponi »

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2023, 12:42:46 am »

I didn't mean infinite loops, just the fact that you can react to surveyor turns with your own surveyor
Yes, that is intended behavior.

Aquila

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2023, 03:29:05 am »
+1

I have a card idea which is basically a added kingdom card that has the setup that it adds a reaction card to each supply pile in the kingdom, does that fit this contests criteria?
I guess the brief can be read as 'any format' including official cards, so I will allow it.

Sir Craftsman
cost $5 - Action - Attack - Knight - Reaction
Each other player reveals the top 2 cards of their deck, trashes one of them costing from $3 to $6, and discards the rest. If a Knight is trashed by this, trash this.
---
When one of your card is trashed, you may discard this from your hand, to gain a card costing up to $5.
This is an 11th card added to the Knights pile? I'll allow it too.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2023, 09:53:46 am »
+1

And you're sure that's a good idea? One extra turn (or one by each player) after the game ends is fun, but a lot of them? If the game ends, often the Province pile is already empty, and sometimes other piles are partially empty, so having a bunch of extra turn may just mean chasing estates or something

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1455
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2023, 02:57:50 pm »
+6

Here are the Critters, a rotating split pile featuring a colorful assortment of woodland creatures.

Raccoon is a Moat that can also give +$1 if there's Copper in the trash, at the cost of junking yourself (those greedy trash bandits can't resist digging through the garbage). As the first card in the split pile, this one rotates the pile, but only when you line it up with a Silver.

Stag is borrowed from another rotating split pile I designed, a VP card that rewards getting all four of them. They're skittish though and rotate the pile whenever you gain one, making it tricky to collect the whole herd of them.

Fox is Duration trasher and draw to X, very sly. On play it can be like a Lab that trashes, pretty nice, but it can't increase handsize beyond 5. Be careful on the duration turn, the trash is mandatory.

Wolf is a Night - Attack that can gain stuff you haven't gained yet, while making opponents discard a card they have duplicates of.

There are some light interactions within the pile: Fox can combat Wolf's handsize attack and will gladly eat the Coppers Raccoon nabs. Stag and Wolf push the pile's variety theme, and Raccoon's Reaction doesn't mind drawing a Wolf. 
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 02:51:19 pm by 4est »

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +538
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2023, 07:33:38 pm »
+4

Some feedback:

Wolf -- This could lock people out of their turns by forcing them to discard down to 1 or 2 cards. All other Dominion attacks avoid that possibility, and for good reason. Maybe add a "then draw up to 3 cards" or something. But overall this card is super strong.

I don't think there's a compelling reason for the main rotate to be on the reaction. It slows down the ability to rotate which is tough. And Raccoon doesn't really help you line those up -- you still have to buy a silver and you can't even play it because once it's in play you can't do the reaction. So, to make it easier, Raccoon could react from in-play (when you play a silver, you may discard this from play to rotate the Critters), that way you at least get the +2 cards to increase the chance of lining them up. You may consider having Stag's reaction on the other critters.

Fox is just ridiculously strong. Which is less of a problem since there's only 4 copies, but still. It seems strong.

It doesn't seem like any of the cards really combo enough for a split pile. The only thing is Raccoon gains from trash, and Fox is a trasher. The main potential I'm seeing is Gaining (both Raccoon and Wolf gain). So maybe Fox could be a reaction to play itself "when you gain a Treasure." Just trying to think of a way to make them feel like one pile a little more. This could allow you to simplify Raccoon to the typical "you may rotate the Critters" if you want.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2023, 05:17:34 am »
+1

And you're sure that's a good idea? One extra turn (or one by each player) after the game ends is fun, but a lot of them? If the game ends, often the Province pile is already empty, and sometimes other piles are partially empty, so having a bunch of extra turn may just mean chasing estates or something
Well, if the stars align, you'd get 5 extra turns from this (or absolute fringe case 5*(n-1), where n is the number of players), and that's in total, not each. I don't think that's excessive. The card is in a split pile so this doesn't go overboard.

I think it would be too swingy if only one person got to use Surveyor, so you have to be able to trigger them in response to Surveyor turns. Ultimately I don't think it's a big deal, if there is no longer a way to win, then you don't have to play it out, and if there is, then it's still interesting.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1455
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2023, 01:28:37 pm »
+1

Some feedback:

Wolf -- This could lock people out of their turns by forcing them to discard down to 1 or 2 cards. All other Dominion attacks avoid that possibility, and for good reason. Maybe add a "then draw up to 3 cards" or something. But overall this card is super strong.

I don't think there's a compelling reason for the main rotate to be on the reaction. It slows down the ability to rotate which is tough. And Raccoon doesn't really help you line those up -- you still have to buy a silver and you can't even play it because once it's in play you can't do the reaction. So, to make it easier, Raccoon could react from in-play (when you play a silver, you may discard this from play to rotate the Critters), that way you at least get the +2 cards to increase the chance of lining them up. You may consider having Stag's reaction on the other critters.

Fox is just ridiculously strong. Which is less of a problem since there's only 4 copies, but still. It seems strong.

It doesn't seem like any of the cards really combo enough for a split pile. The only thing is Raccoon gains from trash, and Fox is a trasher. The main potential I'm seeing is Gaining (both Raccoon and Wolf gain). So maybe Fox could be a reaction to play itself "when you gain a Treasure." Just trying to think of a way to make them feel like one pile a little more. This could allow you to simplify Raccoon to the typical "you may rotate the Critters" if you want.

Appreciate the feedback here, very helpful. Wolf definitely should have some sort of handsize check, and Raccoon's pile rotation reaction could be easier to proc, good calls. I think Fox is fine since it's hard to get early or get a bunch of them.

I'll make some updates to these when I can.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2023, 10:29:28 am »
+1

Split pile, 5 each, Visionary on top.

Edit: Updated to specify that you discard after shuffling. I liked just the crude parenthesis best.

Also apparently it should be "when" not "whenever"!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2023, 02:35:01 am by silverspawn »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1683
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2023, 02:03:44 pm »
+3

Split pile, 5 each, Visionary on top.

Do you discard Prophet for its Reaction before or after you shuffle?
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2023, 02:28:56 pm »
+1

Dang that's a really good question. Didn't even think about the difference. Will update the card to choose before or after (but not right now)

grep

• Explorer
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2023, 12:16:58 pm »
+3

Halloween theme 5/5 split pile

Sepulcher
Night - Reaction - $3
Trash a card from hand; +1 Villager per card type it has.
-
When you gain a card, you may reveal this to put that card into your hand

Haunted Mill
Action - Looter - $5
+2 Cards
You may gain a Ruins for +3 Cards

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1445
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2023, 02:04:20 pm »
+1

Looks balanced. Haunted Mill provides a net draw of 4 but given that you need one copy of Sepulcher to deal with the Ruins and that the Ruins is itself dead you only net draw 2 which is the effect of Village+Smithy. Relative to Village+Smithy you get an additional Villager (gotta spent one to play Haunted Mill) plus the extra consistency of Villagers.

Aquila

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2023, 04:24:42 pm »
+1

This is the 24 hour mark.

I see that some who said they would enter haven't yet. If anyone would like another day say so, otherwise I will close this time tomorrow.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2023, 11:16:05 pm »
+3

Headhunter
Night - $2
Gain a Horse
Put this anywhere in any non-Victory supply pile
______
When you gain this, gain a card from the same pile (that doesn't come with another)

Employer
Action/Duration/Reaction - $5
At the start of your next turn, +$4 and +1 Buy
_______
When any player gains a second card on their turns, you may play this from your hand

(5 Headhunters on top of 5 employers)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2023, 03:10:05 am by NoMoreFun »

RovingBear

• Scout
  • Respect: +66
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2023, 11:58:04 am »

Explorer
Action - Reaction $3
+2 Actions
Reveal the top card of your deck. If it is a victory card +2 Cards.
_
When any player buys a victory card costing at least $4 you may discard this for +2 Cards.

Fountain of Youth
Victory $4
1VP
_
If this is the first time you gained Fountain of Youth this turn +2 Cards and return to your Action phase.

Zoyarox

• Steward
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2023, 12:58:18 pm »
+1

Quiet Cove
$3 - Night - Duration - Reaction
Set aside a card from your hand face down (on this).
At the start of your next turn, either put it into your hand, or exile it for +1 Card.
-
When another player plays an Attack card, you may first play this from your hand.

Seductress
$5 - Night - Attack - Reaction
+1 Villager
+1 Coffers
If you have another Night card in play, every other player discards a card with the lowest cost in $ from their Exile.
-
When you gain this, play it.

I attempted a full Night (Duration) Reaction split pile.

Start your next hand with one more card with Quiet Cove, perhaps an Action you couldn't play last turn, or exile a junk card, while later preventing Action clashes with Villagers and returning your opponents exiled junk to their deck.

The Night type helps with balancing and Seductress is not gained to your hand, but rather played, to gain the benefits right away even if you're still in your action phase.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2023, 05:40:19 am by Zoyarox »
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 2.53 seconds with 21 queries.