Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #191: Awesome Alliteration Affair  (Read 2088 times)

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #191: Awesome Alliteration Affair
« on: June 24, 2023, 12:36:37 pm »
+4

Any challenge is unique, but this time we do something that's maybe more strange than other contests we've seen. All we care about today is words, or more specifically letters. After all, these are the fundamental building blocks of every Dominion card.

Are you ready for your challenge?

As your task, I set the following: Any design submitted to this contest must have its name and card text start with the same letter. Also, your submission should synergize with an official card that starts with the same letter.

Acceptance of your entry is conditional on naming the official card your entry synergizes with. All entries should use standard Dominion language. Any bending of words in order to make your initial letters fit together will be frowned upon.

Assessment of cards will start on July 01, 2023, 12:30:00 pm. All submissions need to be ready by then.

Annotations:
  • a card that starts with a vanilla effect like "+2 Cards" is considered to start with the first proper letter, in this case C.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2023, 12:42:48 pm by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

BryGuy

• Explorer
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #191: Awesome Alliteration Affair
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2023, 05:20:44 pm »

Stock Keep • $3 • Action
Set aside a card from the Exile mat. All players reveal a hand card. If your card costs more, discard the set aside card and +1 Action; otherwise Exile it and +1 Card.
Set-up: Include Stockpile in the Kingdom.
Interesting challenge. :)

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +494
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2023, 06:42:12 pm »

Intended to combo with Black Market, giving you a coin for each of those unique things you purchased while there. Kind of the Woodcutter equivalent to City Quarter?
Specifically mentions Actions instead of Treasures, as getting a bunch of coin off Copper and Silver or Loots isn't what I'm aiming for here.

Another retraction. I'm trying my best ok
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 11:43:03 pm by Augie279 »
they/them

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: willowhelmiam
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2023, 11:46:00 pm »
+3

Shrimp Farm
$7 Project
Silvers give you +2 Cards instead of +$2.

Silver Synergizes. So does Silver Mine.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1445
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2023, 04:01:54 am »
+3

Intended to combo with Black Market, giving you a coin for each of those unique things you purchased while there. Kind of the Woodcutter equivalent to City Quarter?
Specifically mentions Actions instead of Treasures, as getting a bunch of coin off Copper and Silver or Loots isn't what I'm aiming for here.
Looks pretty weak and swingy. Normally you can payload cards last but here you need more terminal space to play this before you draw. And if you get unlucky and draw it last it is just a Ruined Market.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2023, 09:14:31 am »
+6

Audience
Action - $6
+5 Actions
Afterwards, pay up to 6 Actions. Gain a card onto your deck costing up to $1 per Action paid.

(Synergises with Abundance which benefits from Action gains and may create a deck with more Actions than you need making a +5 Actions card less silly

Inspired by Artificer, Acting Troupe, Artisan, Armory and Altar. I misread the brief but I like the card as it sits and the Abundance interaction is strong).
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 05:50:31 pm by NoMoreFun »

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2023, 12:26:23 am »
+2

Collector
- Action Duration
Choose one: +1 Action, +1 Buy, +, and you may trash a card from your hand; Or: At the start of your next turn, +2 Cards and +1 Buy.

Notes: Synergies with City Quarter. I envision the first option as foraging for items, and the second option as saving up for a larger purchase.

grep

• Explorer
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2023, 11:28:52 am »
+2

Dromedary
$4 - Action
Draw until you have 6 cards in hand. If you have drawn 3 or more cards, +1 Action

A faster version of Caravan, but only works if hungry.

Works best with Dungeon, Diplomat, Dame Molly (and any other hand reducing nonterminals)

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2023, 11:39:14 am »
+1

Collector
Action - Reaction ($5)

+3 Cards
Look through your discard pile. You may play a Treasure from it or from your hand.

When you gain a Treasure, you may play this from your hand.

This is a really hard contest!

It works well with most Gold gainers but is designed to pair especially nicely with Courtier. The dual typing makes Courtier better and its reaction can allow it to both be played freely and grab a recently gained Gold. In the absence of Treasure gainers it can still have use playing Kingdom Treasures in the Action phase. Probably also a decent money card, but not better than Gear.
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

Chappy77

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2023, 01:27:10 pm »
+3

It synergizes with (and mirrors) Count.  Discard cards with Count? You have draw to 7.  Topdeck a card with Count? You can trash junk from the top of your deck, or pull a strong action or treasure into your hand. 

It ends up being a weak Library, a weak Cartographer, or a weak Legionary.  The flexibility is what (hopefully) makes it still worth $5.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2023, 11:02:50 pm »
+1

Calendar
$3 - Action
+2 Cards.
Discard two cards.
Choose one: +1 Action; or at the start of your buy phase, +$1 and put up to two cards from your discard pile on top of your deck.
Synergizes with Crystal Ball which is a card that's both fun and a little weak. If Crystall Ball isn't on the board, you can always seed your next hand, or choose what gets revealed by a knight or bandit type attack.

PS: I think "C" is the easiest letter to use for this contest.

<Conundrum>
Technically, this works for the contest because faust only required it start with the same letter, but the "CH" of "choose one" does not alliterate with Conundrum or Count.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 11:08:28 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1455
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2023, 12:52:35 am »
+3

Band of Misfits meets Black Market. You get a new 4 cards to choose from after each turn you play it. What play will you write?

Synergizes with uh Plaza, Patrician, Poacher, Port, etc.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2023, 09:28:46 am »
+8

Combos vith Count!

Zoyarox

• Steward
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2023, 05:44:36 pm »
+3

Vampire Village
$5 – Action - Duration - Attack - Doom

+2 Villagers
At the start of your next turn, +1 Card.

Until then, the first time another player gains a card during their turn, they receive the next Hex.

Vile voices verified Vampire Village's various versatile vacationing ventures, vindicating volatile volunteer volumes.

This card has undergone a solid amount of playtesting and this current version has found its happy-place among the testers.

Naturally, a Vampire Village needs a functioning workforce and succeeds in this regard by putting enslaved peasants, like Smithies, to work. Ideally, Vampires fly out to bring these, ehm, "volunteering villagers" back to their home, to sustain their immortal lifestyle.

On paper, Vampire Village could be considered a more versatile and attacking Ghost Town, although the attack part and the +1 Card at the start of the next turn actually drew more inspiration from Swamp Hag and Haunted Forest's theme of one getting lost – and eventually ending up in a Village full of Vampires by accident.

At first the attack might seem strong, especially with multiple copies in play, regardless of player count. Also, for better or worse, unlike Cursers, this card's attack isn't limited to the amount of Curses in the supply.

In actual gameplay, this cards pricing and abilities seem to perfectly hit a sweetspot, boosting the next turn with flexible actions and another card, or enabling more Actions this turn, potentially leaving one dry with more cards next turn.

Regarding the attack part, for one, this card deals out Hexes during your turn, which (usually) only Cursed Village does, and it only punishes the first gained card. More notably though, cards can be gained outside one's Buy phase, too. This creates scenarios where – depending on the phase the active player is in – gaining Hexes doesn't impose a more serious penalty, not even when receiving multiple Hexes (e.g. Fear, Haunting, Poverty, Delusion, and Envious), and leads to the occasional consideration about whether to e.g. remodel something and risk butchering your hand or upcoming Buy phase.

sumrex

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: sumrex84
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2023, 11:02:55 am »

Transformation
Action P
The first time you would gain a card this turn, except by buying it, you may trash it.
The next time you trash either a action, treasure or victory card this turn, do the following.
Action: +5$
Treasure: You may discard a action from your hand for +3VP
Victory: +3 Villagers

This turn, if you gain a card not costing 0: +1 buy

Of course interacts with transmute. It gives always the benefit that transmute does not give and interacts with the fact that transmute gains cards. If you already have excess transmutes when trashing a treasure, just discard it for vp. The terminal nature isnt really a problem anymore because its a village that also gives villagers. The potion isnt that big of a deal because this costs potion too and you want both. And of course you dont need to waste buys for transmutes because you will have A LOT of them.
Feedback is appreciated!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 04:58:00 am by sumrex »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2023, 02:09:53 pm »
+2

I think that card technically starts with an A for Action

SignError

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: SignError
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2023, 03:27:33 pm »

It probably doesn’t need the +2 Actions, since it has a way of providing Villagers.

It either needs the Duration type, or it needs to say “the next time… this turn”

It should also probably have a way to trash cards, in case there is none in the kingdom.  Fortunately trash starts with “T”

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2023, 11:33:05 am »
+1

Buried Chancellor
cost $4 - Treasure - Duration
+1 Buy
+$2
The next time you shuffle your deck, topdeck up to 2 cards from your discard pile.

Chancellor I like.

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2023, 10:18:05 pm »
+1

Basically an Inventor enabler, in a few ways. On its own it's something like a Villa/Worker's village that becomes a Workshop when you take the extra card.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 10:34:21 pm by 4444 »

sumrex

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: sumrex84
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2023, 04:57:26 am »

It probably doesn’t need the +2 Actions, since it has a way of providing Villagers.

It either needs the Duration type, or it needs to say “the next time… this turn”

It should also probably have a way to trash cards, in case there is none in the kingdom.  Fortunately trash starts with “T”

Thanks, I didn't realise keywords counted. I really didn't want it to interact with itself and making it a trasher would make tmute obsolete. So it can activate on itself now, but that is a pretty meh option. And I mean even trail doesn't have a partner in all games, so without anything else it just gives unlimited buys.

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2023, 09:42:33 am »
+2

Tycoon
Action - Duration
$4

Trash a card from your hand. Reveal one card from the top of your deck per $1 the trashed card cost. You may set aside a revealed Action card under this. If you did at the start of your next turn play it twice. Discard the other cards or put them back in any order.

Notes
- Has synergy with a whole host of things, can help Treasure Maps find each other, help set up draw for Torturer, etc.
- I found this quite a difficult challenge. When refining ideas often one letter will change. It does make you think so it is a good theme.
- Unsure if this should cost 5 or if it can get away with being a 4. I am erring towards the latter.

* Updated for a minor wording change. Changed look at to reveal in the second sentance.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 02:11:33 pm by xyz123 »

SignError

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2023, 01:03:04 pm »
+1

Tycoon
Action - Duration
$4

Trash a card from your hand. Look at one card from the top of your deck per $1 the trashed card cost. You may set aside a revealed Action card under this. If you did at the start of your next turn play it twice. Discard the other cards or put them back in any order.

Notes
- Has synergy with a whole host of things, can help Treasure Maps find each other, help set up draw for Torturer, etc.
- I found this quite a difficult challenge. When refining ideas often one letter will change. It does make you think so it is a good theme.
- Unsure if this should cost 5 or if it can get away with being a 4. I am erring towards the latter.

In the second sentence, you probably mean to “reveal” instead of “look at,” because you mention revealed cards in the third sentence.

SignError

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2023, 08:25:54 pm »
+7

Wind Chime
$1 - Treasure

$1
-
When you gain or trash this, +2 Cards, +1 Buy, discard 2 cards, and if it's your Buy phase return to your Action phase.

It’s The Wind’s Gift, but only exactly when you want it.  It combos most with Wine Merchant, because returning from your Buy phase to your Action phase with $2 unspent lets you discard your Wine Merchants, possibly replay them, and still use those $2.  Wind Chime also combos with Watchtower, Wealthy Village, Will-o-'Wisp, and Wayfarer.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2023, 06:56:34 pm »
+1

A bit late, but here is your

24 hour warning
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

LTaco

• Scout
  • Shuffle iT Username: LTaco
  • Respect: +127
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2023, 11:35:01 am »
+8

Pedestal synergizes well with Province; and other expensive cards.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.