Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #188: Make a Wish  (Read 1888 times)

LTaco

• Scout
  • Shuffle iT Username: LTaco
  • Respect: +127
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #188: Make a Wish
« on: May 24, 2023, 02:57:30 pm »
+3

Weekly Design Contest #188: Make a Wish

For this week´s contest, design a card-shaped thing that uses the Wish pile. You may incorporate any official components or mechanics. Your entry may encompass multiple components (split-piles, traveller lines, other non-supply piles etc.).

Choose a compelling theme for your entry that justifies the inclusion of Wishes. Draw inspiration from various sources, such as classical fairy tales, folklore, ancient myths, or even contemporary works.
Your primary focus should be on using Dominion mechanics to support your chosen theme. The mechanics should be intricately woven into the story you are portraying.

The challenge should be exactly that, evoking your chosen theme in only a few concise instructions on a card, so if you choose to submit a set of cards/card-shaped things instead of a single one, this should be represented in more detailed mechanics accompanying your theme.

Keep in mind that Wish is a powerful card that shouldn't just be handed out on a whim. So you might want to limit the amount of Wishes one can receive in a game and/or tie the Wish-gaining to some exotic criteria.

Your submissions will primarily be judged on how well the instructions mirror the theming and on creative use of limitations and challenges in attaining Wishes.

Although plain text entries will be accepted, I encourage you to submit your cards as images with card-art.
In order to judge your submission, I´ll obviously need to know what you theme is based on. So make sure it is possible do discern from the card(s) alone what one might need to google in order to find out. A fitting name should be enough in most cases.

This is my first time hosting a contest, so I hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew with this prompt.
I´m looking forward to seeing your creations.

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #188: Make a Wish
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2023, 04:09:10 pm »
+6

Monkey's Paw | Victory | $5
Worth 1% per Wish you have.
-
When you gain this, take 3 hexes. At the start of your next 3 turns, receive one of those hexes to gain a Wish.

The Monkey's paw is a mythical artifact that grants three wishes -- but each wish is corrupted and it turns out bad for the wisher. Perhaps the wisest thing is to not use the Monkey's paw at all.

The best way I could make this fun and theming is to pair the wishes with hexes. I do note that in the real story it takes your specific wishes and turns them rotten, but I couldn't do that easily in span of card, so instead you just get hexed first. Seems fun. You also get some choice in what hex you get when, so you may be able to make a wiser choice based on your hand. They do hit hardest, hexes are strongest at the beginning of your turn.

There's another fun play, perhaps it is wisest not to use those wishes at all. Then your Monkey Paws could become quite valuable -- there are up to 12 wishes in the deck to get 12VP per MP. But be warned, going a victory strategy means you have tolerate all the hexes that come along (even if all wishes are gone you still get hexed).

Doing the math of some situations for fun.
(2MP, 6 wishes) = 12 VP, 8 junk cards (1.5VP/card), 6 hexes. Spent a "junk" wish and lose 2VP
(3MP, 9 wishes) = 27VP, 12 junk cards (2.25VP/card),  9 hexes. Spent a "junk" wish and lose 3VP
(4MP, 12 wishes) = 48VP, 16 junk cards (3VP/card), 12 hexes. Spent a "junk" wish and lose 4VP
(6MP, 12 wishes) =  72VP, 18 junk cards (4VP/card), 18 hexes. Spent a "junk" wish and lose 6VP
Of course this requires your hoarding of the wishes to be uncontested. Especially tough since the 3 wishes or gained once a turn starting the turn after you play a monkey's paw

I'm open to suggestions. I was considering costing it at $4 since if you spend the wishes it's self junking and that balances decently with the hex at start of turn for a delayed wish -- but I don't like War being able to kill Monkey Paws. I could be convinced though, it's tricky to balance.

Rules clarification 1: you can only receive a hex you have "taken." So if you first take Bad Omens, Delusion, and Envy, next turn you receive Bad Omens, then the turn after that you can only choose to receive Delusion and Envy.

Rules clarification 2: if you have bought multiple Monkey Paws that still have hexes, you treat the hexes piles as separate. So if MP 1 has Delusion and Envy left, and MP2 has Fear left, you can't choose to receive Delusion and Envy, you'd have to get one of those and Fear.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 04:13:49 pm by anordinaryman »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2023, 06:50:25 pm »
+4

Birthday Party
Event - $0
Once per turn: If your deck has exactly 10 cards in it, gain a Wish

Rules clarification: Just the deck, not including the discard pile or your hand or cards in play etc.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 09:13:31 am by NoMoreFun »

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2023, 11:23:27 am »
+11

Wonderland
Action - Victory - $5
+2 Cards
You may reveal and discard three differently named Victory cards to gain a Wish onto your deck.
-----
2VP

*edit Reveal and discard for accountability
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 11:27:07 am by grep »

BryGuy

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +157
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2023, 11:45:31 am »
+1

Forest Hike • $5 • Action
+1 Action
You may discard a Victory card for +2 Cards.
You may play up to two Treasure cards.
If you have exactly eight cards in play, gain a wish, otherwise you may gain a silver.
:) This offers a small path towards gaining a Wish in addition to a path to gain a Wish.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 10:17:44 am by BryGuy »

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2023, 02:24:43 pm »
+7

Hopeful
Trait

When you gain a Hopeful card, you may reveal and discard two differently named Treasures to gain a Wish.

LTaco

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2023, 01:31:05 pm »
+1

End of the Road
3P
Action

Use the following effects if you have more than 6 cards:
in your hand: gain a gold to your hand.
in play: each other player recieves the next hex.
in your draw pile: +3 cards.

Your submission is not eligible since it doesn't make use of Wish.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2023, 03:13:03 pm »
+2

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2023, 03:19:20 pm »
+4

Can we pretend that airplanes in the Night sky are like Shooting Stars? I could really use a Wish right now, Wish right now, Wish right now.

A Night-Reaction that can gain and play exactly one Wish per turn but only if you didn't gain any cards beforehand (and playing Wishes during your Night phase usually isn't as helpful). However, if you catch sight of a Shooting Star before Nighttime (via revealing), you can get your Wish early.

No idea on cost, $5 felt like too much, but maybe that's right? You don't really want these in multiples.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2023, 03:38:38 pm »
+1

Looks like a $5 to me. Brilliant non-terminal everything-gainer in the opening that goes well with quick trashing.

czzzz

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2023, 12:57:11 am »
+1

v1

v2

A villager told me there was some kind of spirit in the woods. It grants you a Wish if you Offer something to it!

Take that, 5/2 opening. Now we all get Wishes and trashing faster than you.  :P
Edit: God forbid 3/4 opening has an edge.  :P Jk, thanks for the feedback
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 05:40:43 pm by czzzz »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2023, 04:19:30 am »
+4

^ now anyone with 5/2 basically loses the game before it even starts. Trashing 2 estates to Top deck a wish is such a monumental advantage, it makes fisherman blush

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2023, 04:30:06 am »
+1

It has to cost $2, then it is fine. With this, fix 2/5 would also not be that much better than 3/4.

sumrex

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: sumrex84
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2023, 10:49:10 am »
+1

End of the Road 2P
Action- Treasure
+2 Cards
Once this turn, when you play a treasure or night card: you may reveal your hand, then use the following effects, depending on how many unique cards are in it:
0: Gain a Action costing up to 5
1-3: Gain a Gold
4-6: Gain 2 Cards costing up to 4
7: Gain a Wish

This brings a lot of interesting choices, of course the best effects are the hardest to get. You can use it as a action or treasure, so you arent really dependign that much on village support. Let me know whaat you think, i think this concept is pretty hard to balance.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 06:49:23 am by sumrex »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2023, 02:50:54 pm »

This is too good. Figurine compensates for the disadvantages of being a TreasureLab by converting dead Actions into Pouches.
This offers flexibility and is always at least a nonterminal Workshop which is better than Figurine‘s extra.

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +476
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2023, 11:09:15 pm »
+5

A famous fable about those who got greedy and killed the goose for the Gold inside. Maybe you'll be different, but maybe you'll slaughter the Goose yourself in the hopes of getting something greater.
they/them

sumrex

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: sumrex84
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2023, 06:49:10 am »

This is too good. Figurine compensates for the disadvantages of being a TreasureLab by converting dead Actions into Pouches.
This offers flexibility and is always at least a nonterminal Workshop which is better than Figurine‘s extra.

You are right, thanks. I changed it up quite a bit, even tho it might be a bit too weak now. But we will see.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2023, 09:19:29 am »
+6

Fairy Godmother - $3

Gain one Wish per other player in the game.

At the end of your next turn, each other player may return a non-Duration card you have in play to the supply.
She can grant useful boons... just make sure to be back before midnight!

Scales with player count because a) I didn't want only one opponent to get to choose and b) you're going to need more help if you have more evil stepsisters!
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2023, 11:43:59 am »
+1

Can we pretend that airplanes in the Night sky are like Shooting Stars? I could really use a Wish right now, Wish right now, Wish right now.

A Night-Reaction that can gain and play exactly one Wish per turn but only if you didn't gain any cards beforehand (and playing Wishes during your Night phase usually isn't as helpful). However, if you catch sight of a Shooting Star before Nighttime (via revealing), you can get your Wish early.

No idea on cost, $5 felt like too much, but maybe that's right? You don't really want these in multiples.

I think $4 is a better cost than $5 for this, as it is strongest in the opening, and a $5 cost would give 5/2 openings a huge advantage. This is very strong in the early game but usually becomes a dead card later in the absence of "reveal" triggers.

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: willowhelmiam
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2023, 11:55:45 am »
+1

Shooting Star
$4 Event
Gain 2 Wishes. Each other player may discard 2 cards to gain a Wish.

LTaco

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2023, 05:30:41 pm »

24 Hour Warning

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2023, 11:13:36 pm »
+3

Bottom text

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2023, 01:29:26 am »
+3

Shooting Star
$4 Event
Gain 2 Wishes. Each other player may discard 2 cards to gain a Wish.
This is most certainly too good. Even if the other players didn't need to discard, you still have a net gain of a $6 card for $4. And if you buy this multiple times, or have a discard attack, it becomes completely ridiculous.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 01:30:58 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2023, 12:31:20 pm »
+4

My Submission:

Lucky Dragon • $6 • Action
+6 Cards
Discard 4 cards. Return this to the Supply. If you did, gain a Wish.

My submission is Lucky Dragon. A strong terminal draw/sift, it turns into a Wish after you play it. You can use the Wish to get your Dragon back, or turn it into something else (e.g. a Gold or a Duchy). This creates the slight possibility of getting the card back faster, either because the Wish hits a shuffle (although this being a terminal draw card, that's fairly unlikely), or if you can topdeck it.

It also creates various on-gain interactions (e.g. Sheepdog, Labyrinth, etc.) with Academy being particularly strong (turning it from a terminal card to, in effect, a village). There is also the potential to create a chain if you have 2 copies of LD, the ability to play them non-terminally, and a way to topdeck cards--you play 1 LD, gain the Wish onto your deck, play the other LD (drawing, among other things, the Wish) and putting the next Wish onto your deck, then repeat the process. But given the rarity of the other 2 elements, it's pretty difficult to pull that off.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2023, 04:37:10 pm »
+7

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.