Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #187: The Law Falls Silent  (Read 3636 times)

Ethan

• Bishop
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #187: The Law Falls Silent
« on: May 13, 2023, 10:57:21 pm »
+5

The challenge is:
Design an Attack card that is neither a handsize attack, junker, trasher, deck-order attack nor Doom.
In short, design a new attack method. Official cards that would qualify include Enchantress, Bridge Troll, Gatekeeper, Warlord, and Frigate. I count -1 Card token as handsize attack. As for Frigate, it's an edge example. I count it as something like Action-worsening attack, so OK.
I am a newbie judge. I will use the usual criteria like balance, fun, et al. And I appreciate it if the attack method is novel and eye-catching.
Feel free to ask question about qualification of design and anything. This idea gains help from Timinou.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2023, 01:42:32 am by Ethan »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #187: The Law Falls Silent
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2023, 11:16:59 pm »

Did you intend to allow for trashers (e.g. Knights) the other kind of basic attack?

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2023, 11:35:26 pm »
+5

Quiet Village
Action/Duration/Attack - $5
+1 Card, +2 Actions
At the start of your next turn, +1 Card and +1 Action. Until then, other players are capped at 2 Actions (Actions, not Action Cards)

Rules clarification: So for example, if you got hit with a Quiet Village, and play a Bustling Village, you have 2 Actions left afterwards (instead of 3). You spend an Action before playing an Action card so playing a single standard village still works normally, but your 2nd one will just be a cantrip (you have to alternate it with terminals).

czzzz

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2023, 11:49:01 pm »
+2

Ethan

• Bishop
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2023, 01:39:24 am »

Did you intend to allow for trashers (e.g. Knights) the other kind of basic attack?
I would like to ban it. I will edit the thread.

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2023, 11:14:45 am »
+3

Port Embezzler - $5
Action - Duration
Either now or at the start of your next turn, +2 cards and +1 Buy.

Until your next turn, each other player must exchange the first card they gain on their turn for a cheaper card. If they can't, exchange it for a Curse.

Half a Wharf that messes with the cards other people gain. I limited it to effecting non-Victory cards to prevent it from blocking Provinces, but I may have nerfed it too much with that. Feedback is appreciated.

Edit: Changed it to effect the first card gained regardless of type. The exchange for Curse caveat is for when there is no cheaper card to exchange for. At that point, if the Curse pile is empty, the originally gained card is kept. This means just buying a Province won't work, but as long as you have an extra buy you can grab a Copper (which is exchanged for a Curse) and still get that Province. This allows it to still have an impact late game. Provides +Buys on itself, so they will always be in the game. It may become a tad centralizing if it is the only source of Buys, but that can't be helped.

Old Version
Port Embezzler - $5
Action - Duration
Either now or at the start of your next turn, +2 cards and +1 Buy.

Until your next turn, the first time each other player gains a non-Victory card costing $1 or more on their turn, they must exchange it for a cheaper card.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 06:46:51 pm by Xen3k »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2023, 02:48:19 pm »
+1

Quiet Village
Action/Duration/Attack - $5
+1 Card, +2 Actions
At the start of your next turn, +1 Card and +1 Action. Until then, other players are capped at 2 Actions (Actions, not Action Cards)

Rules clarification: So for example, if you got hit with a Quiet Village, and play a Bustling Village, you have 2 Actions left afterwards (instead of 3). You spend an Action before playing an Action card so playing a single standard village still works normally, but your 2nd one will just be a cantrip (you have to alternate it with terminals).
Looks a bit too strong compared to other cards in the Lost City family like Longship.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2023, 10:52:55 pm »
+2

All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2023, 05:34:45 am »
+1

Loan Shark
cost $5 - Action - Attack - Duration
At the start of your next turn, choose one: +3 Actions; +3 Cards; +$3; or +3 Buys.
Until then, when your opponent gets +2 or more Actions, they take <1>; this effect is not cumulative.

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2023, 07:19:19 am »

Nice card but feels a bit too close to highway man in effect, with the +2 cards

Try changed the +2 cards to something else? Maybe +2 actions, or +1 card +1 action.
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2023, 12:39:00 pm »
+3

Gossip
Action - Attack - Liaison
$5

+1Buy
$2

Discard up to 2 cards for +1 Favor each

Each other player spends a Favor

*A nice topic. It does get you thinking about new aspects of Dominion to explore.

- Following feedback I have changed it from discarding any number of cards for 1 favor each to discarding up to 2 cards for 1 favor each.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 02:11:25 pm by xyz123 »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2023, 01:50:11 pm »
+2

Seems pretty crazy with Island Folk and League of Bankers.

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2023, 02:11:58 pm »
+1

Seems pretty crazy with Island Folk and League of Bankers.

Thanks. I have put a limit that up to 2 cards can be discarded for 1 favor each.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2023, 06:02:11 pm »
+3

Ransom is a Gold gainer that digs for an opponent's Action card and holds it hostage outside their deck until they gain a VP card. Sort of like a trashing Attack, except players can rescue their cards if they want by greening. Multiple Ransomed cards can all be rescued with the same VP card gain.

This should be a bit more painful than my previous one-turn any card version (and making it gain Golds makes players less likely to want a bunch of them). Once the ransom is paid, the kidnapped cards go back to the top of the victim's deck where they usually will immediately draw them for next turn. It's not a Duration anymore, since the set-aside cards should provide enough tracking. Players just keep them there until they get a VP card (which they'll likely be keen to pay attention to).

Previous version:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 02:34:44 pm by 4est »

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +476
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2023, 06:20:23 pm »
+4

An inverse Mine attack. One of the rare few cases where "Gain a Gold to your hand" might be worse than just +$3, since other players will probably downgrade it to Silver.
Potion cost to avoid steamrolls if someone manages to draw it turn 3.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 06:23:22 pm by Augie279 »
they/them

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2023, 07:29:07 pm »
+2

Ransom takes one of your opponent's cards hostage for a turn and you get paid if they try to use or gain copies of it. To clarify: the +2 Coffers is supposed to be either/or per player, not cumulative. If you Ransom Copper, and they play 4 Coppers, you get +2 Coffers not +8. Feedback appreciated, I know this likely needs tweaking. This was a tough one to come up with something! Cool prompt idea though.

I'm not sure I'd really call this an Attack? It doesn't really hurt your opponents that much more than Monkey does (although I suppose it can prevent you from being able to draw and subsequently use one specific card in their deck, but that can be a good thing if it hits a Copper or Victory card).

That aside, you have a typo: Its types list "Action" a 2nd time instead of "Attack."
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2023, 07:59:13 pm »
+1

Clarification question about how Ransom works with 3+ players: If Bob has a Copper set aside and Alice has a Silver set aside, and they each play a copy of their respective set aside cards, do you get +4 Coffers? Or do you just get +2 Coffers if any player plays a copy of their set aside card, no matter how many players do so? I have a wording suggestion for if it's the latter case (and I may be able to come up with one for the stacking case, too). I get from your comment with the card that if Alice plays two Silvers, you only get +2 Coffers, but the "per player" part of your comment makes it sound like you can get more Coffers if more players play their respective cards.

(And ftr, if it does stack with player count, I don't think cards should scale this severely with player count.)

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2023, 09:02:12 pm »
+2

All good feedback here, thanks Gubump, yeah there's definitely some inspiration here from Jester, and I felt letting it scale by player would be okay, but agreed that for Coffers it's likely a bit too strong. Definitely want to rethink how to make this feel more like an Attack--I see the comparison to Monkey. Okay, revisions coming soon, stay tuned.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2023, 08:26:50 am »
+8

Tollgate - $3
Treasure/Duration/Attack

Now and at the start of your next turn, gain a Horse.
Until then, during each other player's cleanup phase, they choose two cards they would discard from play that turn to remain in play.

This is inspired by Journey; the cards chosen stay in play for another turn. This can be good for your opponents (if it causes Coppers to miss the shuffle), but the better their deck gets, the more it will hurt.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2023, 01:36:53 pm »
+3

While this is similar to Exiling Attacks, it is different enough to be novel and interesting. But it is also pretty centralizing (if you don’t contest the pile and the opponent play it consistently, 10 cards stay in nirvana) and as the vanilla net effects are those of Caravan, just more delayed, this has to be nerfed somehow.
I would make I terminal. As non-terminal, easy-gainable $3, you want the entire pile even if the attack did not exist.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 01:37:54 pm by segura »

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2023, 02:03:09 pm »
+2

Crooked Jeweler
- Action Duration Attack
Until your next turn, the first time each other player plays a Silver or Gold, they set it aside and, at the start of Clean-up, exchange it for Copper or Silver, respectively.
At start of your next turn, +3 Cards and you may exchange a Treasure from your hand for a Treasure costing up to more than it.

Notes: Inspired by Corsair. The attack might be oppressive as an opener (as turning a Silver into a Copper hurts more than trashing it per Corsair), which is why it is designed such that it costs $6. The theme is that the Jeweler steals the fancy jewels for their own benefit.

FAQ: For the attack part, they still get the benefit of the played Treasure. If they play a Silver and then a Gold, the attack only applies to the Silver. For the duration effect, note that the exchanged-for Treasure is put into your discard pile.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2023, 08:49:57 pm »
+2

This is an improved version of a card I submitted to a weekly design contest a few months (?) ago.
(Does this count as a junking attack?)

Buttinski
$4 - Action - Duration - Attack
You may trash a card from your hand.
Now and at the start of next turn: +$1.
Until your next turn, the first time each other player trashes a card costing $2 or less on their turn, they discard the trashed card.

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2023, 10:26:23 pm »
+1

Arquebusiers
Action - Attack - Duration - $5
+1 Action
+$3
At start of your next turn, take the -$1 token.
-
While this is in play, other players cannot play Attack cards from their hands.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2023, 04:03:39 am »
+1

While this is similar to Exiling Attacks, it is different enough to be novel and interesting. But it is also pretty centralizing (if you don’t contest the pile and the opponent play it consistently, 10 cards stay in nirvana) and as the vanilla net effects are those of Caravan, just more delayed, this has to be nerfed somehow.
I would make I terminal. As non-terminal, easy-gainable $3, you want the entire pile even if the attack did not exist.
I feel like it's not quite so strong. In the early game, the attack is actually a benefit more often than not (or doesn't do anything, if you aren't shuffling). If an opponent goes hard for these, that can be counteracted quite easily by getting more Coppers as fodder to remain in play. It forces you to adapt how you build your deck, but I don't think it's too centralizing.

If it were terminal, the vanilla effect would be weaker than Sleigh, and that's a $2 that has other stuff going on as well. The comparison to Caravan is interesting, and maybe I'll up the price to $4, though I think the Horse gaining is significantly weaker than start-of-turn draw.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2023, 05:28:52 am »
+2

Arquebusiers
Action - Attack - Duration - $5
+1 Action
+$3
At start of your next turn, take the -$1 token.
-
While this is in play, other players cannot play Attack cards from their hands.

"While in play" is outdated, but moreover, it was never used on Attacks in the first place. The reason is that it would not be possible to defend against this with Moat/Lighthouse etc., since the attacking bit is not an on-play effect.

I am more generally not sold on this effect, seems like most of the time the person who manages to play this consistently first just wins when there are any other Attacks worth playing on the board.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.