Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #186: An Impish Challenge  (Read 3654 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #186: An Impish Challenge
« on: May 04, 2023, 10:51:48 am »
+3

WDC #186: An Impish Challenge

Imp is one of my favorite cards!

Therefore, for this contest,
  • design a card-shaped thing that can gains Imps 
OR
  • design a card-shaped thing that, like Imp, cares about whether some Action card is already in play

If you choose the gainer, you can either make something that gains just Imps or something that gains arbitrary spirits. With the second one, the most straight-forward thing has already been done with Conclave, but perhaps there's some design space still open? Note that your card doesn't have to play the card for which it looks at copies...

Any kind of Sideways like Projects, Events, or even Ways are fair game.

Restriction: avoid mechanics that were newly introduced in Allies or Plunder. Everything up to and including Menagerie is okay.

BryGuy

• Explorer
  • Respect: +173
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #186: An Impish Challenge
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2023, 11:42:30 am »
+1

Foreigner • $5 • Action
You may trash an Action card from your hand. If you have any copies of it in play, gain two non-Victory cards each costing up to $1 more than it; otherwise, gain an Action card costing as much as it or less and a Silver.
:) Thanks you Gubump for the recommended text. This cares about what is in play. Either you get the less likely collision for a better reward; or you get a small deck upgrade.

previous:
Foreigner • $5 • Action
Choose one: trash an Action card with a copy in play to gain two non-victory cards costing up to $1 more; or trash an Action card with no copy in play to gain a Silver and an Action costing up to the cost of the trashed card.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 07:25:44 pm by BryGuy »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1683
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2023, 11:53:09 am »
+2

Foreigner • $5 • Action
Choose one: trash an Action card with a copy in play to gain two non-victory cards costing up to $1 more; or trash an Action card with no copy in play to gain a Silver and an Action costing up to the cost of the trashed card.
:) Both choices care about what is in play. The first seeks a collision and provides a better reward for this less likely occurrence. The second choice offers the opportunity to improve their deck.

You forgot to specify where to trash from; I assume from hand?

Also, is it intended that it counts cards other players have in play?

Lastly, this lacks accountability; what if I play a Foreigner via Herald and have no Actions in hand to trash?

My recommended wording:
You may trash an Action card from your hand. If you have any copies of it in play, gain two non-Victory cards each costing up to $1 more than it; otherwise, gain an Action card costing as much as it or less and a Silver.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 11:56:51 am by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Chappy77

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2023, 01:14:38 pm »

Most similar to Way of the Pig, it is essentially a cantrip, but you discard a card from play after drawing, which makes the conditional +1 Action easier to activate. It also allows you to play treasures in your action phase since that seems to be all the rage nowadays.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1434
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2023, 01:45:00 pm »

Most similar to Way of the Pig, it is essentially a cantrip, but you discard a card from play after drawing, which makes the conditional +1 Action easier to activate. It also allows you to play treasures in your action phase since that seems to be all the rage nowadays.
I don’t see how this could go infinite but there is definitely some loop potential if you can redraw and replay already played cards.

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2023, 01:49:45 pm »

This can go infinite with itself. With exactly 2 copies of it you can play 1, discard it, then play the other, infinitely. Obviously becomes a bigger problem with stuff like Training around.
I think the idea is cool but should restrict itself (and also durations so you don’t have any invisible next turn effects) 
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

Chappy77

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2023, 01:57:08 pm »

This can go infinite with itself. With exactly 2 copies of it you can play 1, discard it, then play the other, infinitely. Obviously becomes a bigger problem with stuff like Training around.
I think the idea is cool but should restrict itself (and also durations so you don’t have any invisible next turn effects)

I was trying to avoid these, which is why I had the draw come before the discard.  I obviously didn't think hard enough about it.  I'll keep thinking up ways to make it work.  I thought about the discarded card getting set aside, but then this really isn't much different than a cantrip which can play treasures, which I don't find interesting enough.  So maybe it just doesn't work.  Idk.   I'll keep thinking.

Edit: if it said "you may play and action or trasure card from your hand that you don't have a copy of in play, that wasn't played in the Way of the Imp, that might work? But it get's really wordy.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 01:58:37 pm by Chappy77 »

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5159
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2023, 02:15:11 pm »
+5

Carnival - $3

+1 Buy
You may play one copy of each card you already have a copy of in play from your hand.

FAQ:
- the cutoff is the moment you buy the card, so it is not allowed to e.g. use Carnival to play a Throne Room putting a Smithy in play and then play another Smithy from your hand.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2023, 03:37:02 pm »

Troubadour
Action
$5

+1 Action

Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. Put any Action cards that you do not have a copy of in play into your hand. Either discard the rest or put them back in any order.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2023, 05:37:21 pm »

In addition to what other people have already pointed out, this also causes issues by being able to discard Durations that still have their effects on future turns.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: willowhelmiam
  • Respect: +183
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2023, 11:35:58 pm »
+2

Impress
$0 Event
Trash a non-duration Action card you played this turn that's still in play, to gain an Imp.

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +481
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2023, 04:22:54 am »
+2

Not sure if this card is elegant, will work with it more later

But heres a different sort of scrap: It's probably harder to get off then scrap, but it should synergies well with  imp and Conclave: since it trashes non duration cards you have in play, you could deliberately trash some cards to enable Imps abilities better. Or you could play an imp, draw into Analyst, and use analyst to trash the imp if your desperate.

Unless you have Ruins in the game, or ways to play coppers or silver, its not a good traditional trasher.

Update: v2 (using fausts suggestions)

Analyst
$4   -   Action

+1 Action
You may trash a Non-Duration card you have in play. Choose a different thing per $2 it costs (round down): Gain an imp; Gain 2 horse; Gain a card costing up to $1 less then it; +2 Coffers.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 05:33:48 am by fika monster »
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2023, 05:04:24 am »
+1

Not sure if this card is elegant, will work with it more later

But heres a different sort of scrap: It's probably harder to get off then scrap, but it should synergies well with  imp and Conclave: since it trashes non duration cards you have in play, you could deliberately trash some cards to enable Imps abilities better. Or you could play an imp, draw into Analyst, and use analyst to trash the imp if your desperate.

Unless you have Ruins in the game, or ways to play coppers or silver, its not a good traditional trasher.

Analyst
$4   -   Action

+1 Action
You may trash a Non-Duration card you have in play. Choose a different thing per $2 it costs (round down): Gain an imp; Gain an horse; Gain a card costing  $1 less then it; +2 Coffers; +2 Cards
This looks fun, but some suggestions:
- I think 4 options are sufficient here. The only way to trigger all five would be by trashing a Colony, and Colonies don't end up in play. Which one to cut? Probably the +2 Cards, as Analyst already gives multiple ways to add draw to your deck.
- The Horse gaining option is much weaker than the rest. Obviously Horse combos with Imps, but it's still not amazing and I think you could get away with upping this to 2 Horses.
- on the downgrade option, I think it should say "up to $1 less". The funnest Analyst combo is Peddler, but you'd be pretty sad if there were no $7 costs in the game.

Ethan

• Bishop
  • Respect: +192
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2023, 09:15:02 am »

Analyst
$4   -   Action

+1 Action
You may trash a Non-Duration card you have in play. Choose a different thing per $2 it costs (round down): Gain an imp; Gain 2 horse; Gain a card costing up to $1 less then it; +2 Coffers.
Small typo: “less than”

Chappy77

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2023, 11:08:36 am »

Hopefully fixed version. A lot of words to do a relatively simple thing, but I think it works better now

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2023, 12:40:09 pm »

Hopefully fixed version. A lot of words to do a relatively simple thing, but I think it works better now

Some rules still are not clear to me, in particular related to throning.

Say I play Throne Room on X and play X as WotI first and regularly second. Can a subsequent WotI then discard X?

Also I think this still goes infinite with Band of Misfits.

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +485
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2023, 01:15:56 pm »
+1

A conditional Bazaar similar to Harbor Village. Maybe not that exciting, but does every card need to be?

<Better wording below.>
« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 07:56:30 pm by Augie279 »
they/them

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2023, 01:30:18 pm »
+3

A conditional Bazaar similar to Harbor Village. Maybe not that exciting, but does every card need to be?

Does it check the uniqueness before or after resolving the next played card? That matters for things like Sauna/Avanto.

My recommended wording is either "..if it's the only copy you have in play, you first get +" or "After the next time..." depending on your intent (I'd further recommend the first for simplicity's sake).
« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 01:31:41 pm by Gubump »

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1792
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2023, 03:08:31 pm »
+2

Does it check the uniqueness before or after resolving the next played card? That matters for things like Sauna/Avanto.

My recommended wording is either "..if it's the only copy you have in play, you first get +" or "After the next time..." depending on your intent (I'd further recommend the first for simplicity's sake).

I think it also needs "this turn."

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1792
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2023, 05:32:12 pm »
+2

Destitute Village

Action
+1 Action and +1 Buy.
+1 Action for each differently-named Action you have in play, including this.

Notes: I think this card can cost $2 because it's generally bad to have it in your deck until you have a few differently-named actions, some of which are terminal. As with any non-drawing source of +Actions, it can also be bad to get too many of them. Knowing when to pick up the first one will be important.

Like Plunder's Swamp Shacks, it really likes being paired with Actions with +1 Card, +1 Action. However, unlike Swamp Shacks, you're going to have to pick up a variety of those actions to realize its potential. Fun prompt this week!

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2023, 05:44:53 pm »
+11

Seems like most people have gone the "Impish" route instead of full Imp, so let's try this one. Fiend is my attempt at a fixed Cultist (and one that's hopefully more interesting). You don't get the snowballing problems from chaining, and the Imps actually don't mind Ruins so much.

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +485
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2023, 07:56:01 pm »
+3

Before. Probably should make that syntax change.

I think it also needs "this turn."

Right. Yeah. That is something I need to add. New wording time.

they/them

Ethan

• Bishop
  • Respect: +192
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2023, 03:41:33 am »
+7

Pursuivant
Action
-
+1 Action
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal an Action. Discard the other cards. If you have a copy of the Action in play, put it into your hand. Otherwise, play it.
A mix of Imp, Herald, Sea Chart and Golem. No chain effect like Herald.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 01:24:29 am by Ethan »

grep

• Explorer
  • Respect: +457
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2023, 11:24:10 pm »
+2

Impeach
Event - $4

Exile a card from your hand to gain an Imp.

Sorry, could not resist a pun

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1679
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2023, 12:55:51 am »

Scrap Artist
$5 - Action
Trash a card from your hand. Choose one for each $2 in its cost (rounded up, choices must be different): +2 Cards; +3 Actions; +$2 and +2 Buys; Gain an Imp; or Gain a Gold. If it cost less than $2, gain a card costing up to $4.

A super Scrap.

EDIT: Whoops. Been a couple days since I read the other submissions and I just noticed Analyst. Cancel this entry. I'll think of something else.
EDIT: My submission is here "Impaler": https://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21724.msg902954#msg902954
« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 01:32:56 am by LibraryAdventurer »
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 21 queries.