Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Plunder  (Read 10762 times)

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
Dominion: Plunder
« on: August 28, 2022, 06:21:56 pm »
+16

https://www.riograndegames.com/games/dominion-plunder/

Across the sea, they have so much stuff. And it’s so much better than your stuff. Finer craftsmanship. Better quality materials. Shinier. They have crowns, tiaras, and diadems – and that’s just the hats. It’s time to get some of that stuff. You want an easy life, and you’re prepared to work hard for it. So you’ve rounded up some old salty dogs, plus a sourpuss and a bitter goldfish. And set sail. The sea is a harsh mistress, but a good cook, at least if you like everything really salty. There are red skies tonight, so they’ll be making a batch of Sailor’s Delight, which you understand to have tuna fish in it. And soon you’ll be attacking merchant ships and taking their treasure. But the real treasure is the happy memories you’ll be making.

This is the 15th expansion to Dominion. It has 500 cards, with 40 new Kingdom cards. It has lots of Treasures and Durations, with cards that give you Loot, and Traits that modify piles. Events return.

When will it come out? Wait I can link you a post by Donald X., from the TGG discord: https://discord.com/channels/609163450077151233/1001235513635782777/1012989961357758584

"New expansion now expected in November, to be announced in September.

I "finish" the expansion whenever; it's completely random, based on when I started and how much I focused on it. It's not actually done because it can keep changing until it's sent to the printer, so it does. RGG doesn't so much wait to put them out; they pick some convenient date in the future. October is especially appealing because that's when Spiel happens, the big gaming convention in Essen, Germany. So it's very common for expansions to come out in... November. They're planned for October and then get delayed. We put in the work to get this one done early and it's still looking like November. Allies was especially delayed, we thought it would come out last year.

For sure it was obvious that we had Allies and the 2E's this year; should the new expansion therefore wait? RGG decided no, and tried to get it to come out in October."

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Plunder
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2022, 07:57:09 pm »
+6

Reports have come in that fans are already encamped around game stores, waiting for their turn to draw this into their hands to reveal and play it for a victory point
My opponent has more loot than me

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2022, 08:41:03 pm »

I'm excited about these Traits! I wonder how they will be different from Adventures tokens? Also, another expansion named after a card from a previous expansion, with lots of existing cards in the flavor text no less.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2022, 09:41:08 am »
+1

I'll never say no to more Dominion, and sounds like will be the BIGGEST expansion we've seen so far--40 Kingdom cards! Along with Allies and the 2Es, that's almost 100 brand new Kingdom cards in one year.

I'm guessing Traits will modify piles universally for all players vs. Adventures tokens only modifying the pile for each player. Not sure if they'll be things like Obelisk or Young Witch with Setup instructions where cards from this randomly chosen pile have an additional passive ability for this game, or if they'll turn on and off at different times throughout the game (perhaps through Events or other cards).

We already have Spoils and Horses, so Loot will probably be something different than just another pile of one-shots (and they probably won't be tokens either). My prediction is they'll be unique non-Supply cards like Prizes that can only be gained through other cards. Not sure if they'll be singletons like Prizes or have their own piles like Spirits (perhaps there's different Loot cards that rotate in and out for each game).

With Kingdom cards and randomizers taking up 440-446 cards and Events likely taking up another 14-20, that leaves 30 to 40ish cards for Traits and Loot.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2022, 11:26:30 am »
+1

I'm not convinced that Loot is actually its own card type. I could imagine something like Loot is an extra kingdom supply pile that you can only gain from by playing certain cards. That would fit the flavor text.

I would also love it if Loot was a variant on the Black Market deck, but that's less likely.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2022, 12:41:08 pm »
+2

I'll never say no to more Dominion, and sounds like will be the BIGGEST expansion we've seen so far--40 Kingdom cards! Along with Allies and the 2Es, that's almost 100 brand new Kingdom cards in one year.

I'm guessing Traits will modify piles universally for all players vs. Adventures tokens only modifying the pile for each player. Not sure if they'll be things like Obelisk or Young Witch with Setup instructions where cards from this randomly chosen pile have an additional passive ability for this game, or if they'll turn on and off at different times throughout the game (perhaps through Events or other cards).

We already have Spoils and Horses, so Loot will probably be something different than just another pile of one-shots (and they probably won't be tokens either). My prediction is they'll be unique non-Supply cards like Prizes that can only be gained through other cards. Not sure if they'll be singletons like Prizes or have their own piles like Spirits (perhaps there's different Loot cards that rotate in and out for each game).

With Kingdom cards and randomizers taking up 440-446 cards and Events likely taking up another 14-20, that leaves 30 to 40ish cards for Traits and Loot.

We already have the precedent of Family of Inventors reducing costs for everyone, so an Adventures-style token that's universal wouldn't be unprecedented. It could lead to some interesting strategies if, like Adventures tokens, they can be moved after being placed. I think that would be more strategically interesting than a set-up instruction. Especially if it requires something like an Event to do, where you'd have to spend money (or some other resource, similar to Favors, but presumably not the same as Favors, since if that was the case, the preview would presumably note that Allies return as well as Events)
They/them

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2022, 12:18:50 pm »
+27

It's a shame that you have to wait until Dominion: Encampment is out of stock until you buy this. Isn't that seriously limiting the market for this? Especially because people who run into financial difficulties are required to return their copies of Encampment. Seems like a rip off to me.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2022, 05:22:01 pm »
+5

It's a shame that you have to wait until Dominion: Encampment is out of stock until you buy this. Isn't that seriously limiting the market for this? Especially because people who run into financial difficulties are required to return their copies of Encampment. Seems like a rip off to me.

It's really not a big deal; just play a Battle Plan.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Willvon

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +168
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2022, 10:55:01 am »
+2

I would love to be able to play a card called “Bitter Goldfish”. That would be hilarious.

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +513
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2022, 11:07:20 am »
+2

Isn't that just Envy?

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2022, 11:57:47 am »

It seems odd to me when these expansions are also named after cards from other sets. 

That said stoked for this.
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2022, 12:01:48 pm »

I'm excited about these Traits! I wonder how they will be different from Adventures tokens? Also, another expansion named after a card from a previous expansion, with lots of existing cards in the flavor text no less.
my guess is that they will modify aspects of cards in the way that family of inventors does, but more like a teacher play where you can probably add Draws/buys/trash/actions/coins/cost reduction etc, based on whether is like Pirate raid for plus action, or merchants plunder for buys etc.
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2022, 12:04:00 pm »

I'm not convinced that Loot is actually its own card type. I could imagine something like Loot is an extra kingdom supply pile that you can only gain from by playing certain cards. That would fit the flavor text.

I would also love it if Loot was a variant on the Black Market deck, but that's less likely.

Like a pile that emulates the actions of the knights, but just the non-trashing actions etc... kind of like a hybrid between spoils and boons.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2022, 12:05:01 pm »
+2

It seems odd to me when these expansions are also named after cards from other sets. 

If it makes you feel better, this has been happening in other languages for years. "Cornucopia" means "horn of plenty", so in some languages those were the same word. Likewise "Venture" and "Adventures".

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2022, 12:05:35 pm »

We already have the precedent of Family of Inventors reducing costs for everyone, so an Adventures-style token that's universal wouldn't be unprecedented. It could lead to some interesting strategies if, like Adventures tokens, they can be moved after being placed. I think that would be more strategically interesting than a set-up instruction. Especially if it requires something like an Event to do, where you'd have to spend money (or some other resource, similar to Favors, but presumably not the same as Favors, since if that was the case, the preview would presumably note that Allies return as well as Events)

yeah there are certain decks/cards that could be really interesting if you add +3 buys to a card for eg.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2022, 12:06:13 pm »

golf clap :P

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2022, 12:08:05 pm »

I would love to be able to play a card called “Bitter Goldfish”. That would be hilarious.

odds are decent one exists in the GPT-3 thread...

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21183.0

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2022, 12:09:47 pm »

If it makes you feel better, this has been happening in other languages for years. "Cornucopia" means "horn of plenty", so in some languages those were the same word. Likewise "Venture" and "Adventures".

Menagerie is the one that comes to mind for me.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2022, 01:11:59 pm »
+4

Horn of Plenty is in Cornucopia though.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

DooWopDJ

• Golem
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2022, 10:29:56 am »
+1

I agree.  I would be curious why create such confusion.

Imrahil3

• Bishop
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2022, 11:43:29 am »
+7

Guys, it’s not confusing.

How often does anyone walk into a room and shout “I love Menagerie” with no context? Does anyone say “Menagerie is my favorite!” with no introduction? Don’t we usually say “Menagerie is my favorite card!” or “Menagerie is my favorite expansion!”

When someone asks “What expansion should I get next?” and someone says “Plunder,” does anyone seriously think the person is suggesting someone go out and individually order a single stack of cards when the OP asked for expansion ideas? When someone says “I used Plunder to win a game the other day,” does it make sense to think they used an entire expansion to win a single game?

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2022, 06:23:05 pm »
+12

Why assume they're talking about Dominion at all? If someone says they like Plunder, they might just be a viking.

BryGuy

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +157
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2022, 10:21:22 am »

I got my Seaside 2nd edition pack a few days before the announcement, which i only heard about from the wiki. I was lamenting the loss of Pirate Ship, although not from my box, and upon hearing this wondered if a version of Pirate Ship would appear.

I also wondered if you would be able to plunder the mats: Coffers, Villagers, Tavern, or Exile.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2022, 01:38:01 pm »
+4

Happy Dominion: Plunder print date. Per a follow-up post from DXV on discord:

Did I say November? November is looking optimistic, as it now has a print date of Nov. 3. Shipping has gotten less delay-riddled but still early December is a good guess.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2022, 07:20:30 pm »

So when are we getting previews?
They/them
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 20 queries.