Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 87  All

Author Topic: RMM54: Hunger Games Mafia - Game Over!  (Read 211916 times)

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: Swowl
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
Re: RMM54: Hunger Games Mafia - Day 2
« Reply #1500 on: April 01, 2020, 10:50:31 pm »

Vote Count 2.6:

scolapasta (4): faust, ADK, WCD, Cayvie
Ashersky (3): EFHW, scolapasta, Shraeye
faust (2): MiX, LaLight

Not Voting (5): Glooble, E!, Jimmm, Ashersky, Lekkit

With 14 alive, takes 8 players to lynch.
Deadline for Day 2 is April 2nd at 9:12pm Forum Time. That is less than 24 hours from now!
Jesus how did i fuck that up
real good. That’s how
Town:  14 wins, 14 losses (1 MVP)
Skum: 7 wins, 7 losses (1 MVP)
3-Party: 4 wins, 1 loss

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: April 01, 2020, 10:59:35 pm »

Jimmmm will go ash over faust

I'll probably regret asking this, but why do you think that?

Just the read I get based on interactions so far.  You mentioned your possible bias (unconscious or otherwise), and I appreciate that you are congnizant of it (we all have them).  I think if it comes down to it, you'd lean that way.

I don't know that you think either of us are particularly likely to be scum, but if you needed to rank the two of us, I just think you'd rank me higher on that scale.

I guess it is possible that you use that feeling to vote scola, given that is faust's preferred choice today, over voting me, all things considered.

They were just my guesses.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: April 02, 2020, 02:24:27 am »

what's the thinking behind your theory? why wouldn't scum!shraeye do that?

As town, you're trying to find scum, so if you have a hunch (in this particular case, a misguided one) there's little reason not to go with it. As scum, not so much, any non your team is a good kill. So why not target someone more experienced? i.e. I'd want to keep the inexperienced person around longer, especially if they're in my neighborhood and maybe I can take advantage of that inexperience*.

* Especially since by targeting your neighbor, you create distrust and lose this potential opportunity

Of course with two factions, there's a chance you're both scum against each other, but even then, there's an argument to be made that keeping the inexperienced person alive is preferred.

i guess it's going to turn out that my typed up explanation is shorter and simpler than my phone posted one earlier.

i just get the constant nagging sense (especially here) that scolapasta is trying to say the "right thing", whatever that may be. as opposed to just being honest. and yeah, maybe this is due to never having played with him before, and it turns out that this is just what he sounds like. but combined with his voting record, it's a more concrete reason to vote someone than ash just being generally, well, ash.

also lalight is really confident on his ash townread, and i've decided to pay a lot of attention to what people say about their district mates this game.
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: April 02, 2020, 03:05:44 am »

As mentioned in my post about scola, I re-read cayvie. Immediately I noticed her post count and remembered that she's probably the Towniest person in the game, so the whole thing may just be an exercise in futility.

However I do find some of her reasons for voting a little suspcious.

You will when we're done, because ash has promised to explain.
And when we're done revealing everybody's draft number, I'll explain how that leads to actual scumhunting instead of just "now ash knows which items aren't used" or some other bizarrely specific, clairvoyance-dependent, unhelpful information

yeah you know what?

vote: Ashersky

the bandages were available in round 2. i think he's searching for the doctor.

Even if ash is scum, this is not what he was doing. Sure, a Doctor can save day come late game, but it is really not a role that scum is particularly worried about, especially in a game this big

vote: scolapasta

[...debate about item names...]

And now back to the debate!

When you've quoted faust, you've left out a key part of what he said:"As a more contrete (maybe) counter to shraeye"

I don't think faust was claiming that all 13 objects he guessed where correct (even if her were scum, how would he be able to confirm 13?), just that, as Jimmmmm captures above, it is possible to have a guess based on item name. i.e. that knowing someone's item can give you some idea of their role.

And my "not buying it" is that it feels like you are deliberately taking faust out of that context, in order to create chaos and suspicion.

to me, in the context of his other posts, this post reads as full of relief that he gets to weigh in on the correct (sorry Ash) side of an argument with gusto. it's stressful pretending to scumhunt! what a blessing to see a townie being logically wrong and to be able to argue against him!

This argument doesn't really make any sense to me. There has been plenty of debate this game; why was this post picked out as scummy? "In the context of his other posts" is a vague but clever-sounding justification. His recent posts from here were some discussion about claiming, and some reads on WCD, shraeye, ash and others. I suppose you could make the argument that it's convenient to find find someone scummy (he had just voted for ash) and also disagree with them about something, but really people will argue ad infinitum simply because they believe someone is wrong.

vote: e
Going for bow and arrow (almost certainly a vig) would be a great move as scum.

For anyone who knows anything about the flavor at all, the bow and arrow were obviously one of the most valuable items, and once we found out our role went with our item, we knew it would be Katniss.

I think it would be a too choice, or at least a consideration, for everyone in the top half of the draft.

yeah me too! that's why e's explanation of "i took it to keep it out of the hands of scum" rings false to me. you don't bid on the bow and arrow because you're taking one for the team; you do it because it's probably awesome and you wanna be katniss! pew pew!

"You don't bid on the bow and arrow because you're taking one for the team". Uh, yes you do. Sure this is a big RMM and people want to have fun and have cool roles, but it's also a team game. I think a lot of people here, once a game has started, will choose to do the pro-team move over the fun move. I'm not sure Vig is all that fun of a role anyway; even if you have a full Vig, a lot of players will choose to not shoot more often than shoot.

For the record (I probably should have mentioned this earlier), before taking the Bow and Arrow, e did mention he would probably take it, both for denying scum and because it was cool.

...huh, I was going to ask WCD why Lekkit over raptor--my gut said that Lekkit was townier, between the two--and then I reread them.

I think if I was going to choose between those two, I would also vote Lekkit. Sure, raptor's said some scummy-sounding things (in particular that line of not wanting to look scummy) but at least raptor's shared opinions on things other than the setup.

It took until his most recent post for Lekkit to share an opinion about another player in this thread. I'm not exaggerating.

vote: Lekkit

This post seems fine, although...

A mistake. She did not think Lekkit and raptor were scummy at the time, she thought they were lurking. Replace the relevant sentence of mine above with

"Lekkit and raptor are lurking, I'll vote Lekkit"

Later on she seems to accuse WCD of doing basically the same as she did (and in fact was basically agreeing with WCD when she did so).
Now obviously there's more to her case on WCD than this: she points out that she started the raptor wagon while WCD was the L-1 position. But basically her case on WCD is that she preferred Lekkit over mail-mi and MiX over raptor, as well as some "weird vibes". Never mind that we don't know the alignments of Lekkit or MiX and that there's a strong possibility that mail-mi and raptor don't have any more teammates.

If we are playing multi-ball, basing cases around interactions with the other scum seems likely to be something scum would go for.

MailMi and Mix are both L-4

Ash, Glooble, Cayvie, Jim, EFHW, And Scola, I believe that you guys should probably start consolidating votes now.

sounds like an invitation to me!

vote: raptor

for srs im getting such bad vibes off this guy; he lurks his way thru the majority of day 1 and then comes around at the end to try to take a leadership role in the lynch.

I don't know about this one. Sure, protocol might indicate that the more active players are the ones who get to tell people what to do, but is breaking this particularly scummy? The last thing she said about them specifically was that he said some scummy things (referencing what I assume was that joke about jumping off a bridge), but at least he has contributed. Not exactly bad vibes.

(Obviously raptor was in fact scum, but that's not necessarily relevant.)

[...district partners analysis...]

vote: mail-mi

so uh this theory is not lookin' too bad right now.

vote: shraeye

i wanna know why you could promise that #1 in the draft order (apparently WCD) wouldn't be the nightkill target.

Granted this was early in the Day so there wasn't that much behind the vote, but "this theory was correct in one case so it must be correct in another case" seems hardly a case in itself (and yes this is very different from the item guessing debate). What it does do is continue cayvie's narrative of her being a strong Townie who is catching all the Mafia.

got around to rereading scolapasta, and basically everything i said about Didds applies to pasta too. Right down to the "mail-mi or MiX? I vote MiX"

I should be around for some part of tonight. Leaning to Mix over Mail-mi (between those two).

most damning may be this post

Right now:

Preferred lynches: raptor, wcd, scolapasta, e, lalight, mail-mi
Neutral-ish: lekkit, jimmm, glooble, Ash, adk
Would rather not lynch: mix, faust, shraeye, EFHW
Will not lynch: cayvie

PPE, of course, the fact that 2 people I distrust are voting for lalight makes me less suspicious of him

So... my list is almost opposite of yours!

Preferred lynches: faust, shraeye,, ash, lalight, mail-mi, mix
Neutral-ish: lekkit, glooble, e, adk, raptor
Would rather not lynch:, wcd, EFHW, cayvie, jimmm
Will not lynch: scolapasta

I don't specifically remember what made me put lalight, mail-mi, mix in the first group, so they might be more neutral.

Also interesting to note that my Would rather not lynch is all people I've played codenames with. Hmm....

where he includes mail-mi in the preferred lynches. and yet i believe he votes for and/or makes an argument against every other preferred lynch at some time in day 1, but never a specific one about mail-mi.

290: vote & reasons for shraeye
316: reasons for ash & mentions faust & LL
349: reasons for shraeye & faust
601: vote & reasons for Ashersky
986: vote MiX

yeahhhhhh, he includes mail-mi in his "preferred lynches" but never mentions him again except to say he's voting for someone else instead. thaaat's not a good sign. vote: scolapasta

Again, basing her entire case around interactions with Mafia. I don't think scola's post is damning at all. If they were scum together, then putting mail-mi in his preferred lynch tier was a very deliberate choice. Is the argument that he then forgot that he was going to semi-bus his partner?
Also, his mentioning of faust and LaLight is not terribly substantial. In #316 he simply says "maybe faust or LaLight" but never follows up on it, and in #349 he references shraeye and faust as being his "main accusers" in the context of round claiming.

In summary, I find many of cayvie's cases and reasons to vote for people just don't hold water. Since the flip of two Mafia members, her scumhunting seems to be purely based around interactions with Mafia, which is a great way to mislead and come up with reads if she's a member of a different scum faction. And given that our claimed Vig has said he didn't kill mail-mi, it seems very likely that there is another faction.

Aside from what I've mentioned here, I think cayvie has played an excellent game (as Town or scum) and most people find her Towny, so I'm not expecting to get much agreement here. However in putting this together I've convinced myself that I may very well be onto something.

Vote: cayvie. If, as I expect, this doesn't go anywhere, I'll make sure to spend more time on more likely lynch candidates before deadline.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: April 02, 2020, 03:30:34 am »

whee! hi jimmmmmm

i would definitely agree that some of my votes have not been for the strongest reasons. especially my ash vote, he himself talked me out of that one, basically. i definitely fall victim to pattern recognition bias; i see a potential scum narrative for a behavior and then i decide THAT MUST BE WHAT IS GOING ON. for better or worse, i'm also pretty easy to talk out of that train of thought, i think!

re: scolapasta. i may not have made my case in a very compelling fashion, but i still hold to it. basically, most of scola's posts read to me like someone trying to say the right thing (presumably, to not get pegged as scum). and then his post i quoted reads differently, like someone who's found something he can argue genuinely and passionately without having to worry that he might say the wrong thing--because he's right and the other person is wrong, no matter who scum is. it's an exciting feeling, and one i've definitely experienced before as scum. does that make sense?

and well I bid on the bow and arrow because i wanted to be katniss, so there. didn't get it, obviously. nyah.

i think you're being a little unfair to my partner reads theory! i made it before i knew any alignments, and then 2 scum flips went along with it, surely that's at least a little bit of evidence that it's onto something.

idk what you want me to do regarding basing reads on voting record and known flips. all we have is mafia flips! that's the new info! how is that misleading? i feel like that's the best public info we've got to analyze with. maybe my analysis is bad (it almost certainly is!) but i'm not sure what else i'm supposed to be using.
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: April 02, 2020, 04:10:21 am »

idk what you want me to do regarding basing reads on voting record and known flips. all we have is mafia flips! that's the new info! how is that misleading? i feel like that's the best public info we've got to analyze with. maybe my analysis is bad (it almost certainly is!) but i'm not sure what else i'm supposed to be using.

Partner interactions is one part of scumhunting, but there's also everything else; everything you would use on Days when there are no flipped scum. The evidence seems to me to suggest that there's a good chance that there are no more Mafia, which would render partner interactions useless. Some of us know (or at least have enough information to guess) whether there are any more Mafia, and a separate scum team would do well to have the Town believe that there are.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: April 02, 2020, 04:12:00 am »

Partner interactions is one part of scumhunting, but there's also everything else; everything you would use on Days when there are no flipped scum. The evidence seems to me to suggest that there's a good chance that there are no more Mafia, which would render partner interactions useless. Some of us know (or at least have enough information to guess) whether there are any more Mafia, and a separate scum team would do well to have the Town believe that there are.
What evidence? That Raptor used a singular? Because I can tell you that it doesn't make any sense from a game design perspective.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: April 02, 2020, 04:39:36 am »

What evidence? That Raptor used a singular? Because I can tell you that it doesn't make any sense from a game design perspective.

That's not evidence. I mean the fact that mail-mi died, and e says it wasn't him. As far as I can tell, that means there are three possibilities:

1) There are two killing items (or e is lying and doesn't have a killing item).
2) Some kind of busdriving shenanigans.
3) We have a third party (SK or second scum team).

1 and 2 don't seem all that likely to me, and while a Serial Killer is definitely possible (which still means there is non-Mafia scum to find), I don't know that we can say that it's particularly more likely than a second scum team. Am I missing something?

What doesn't make any sense from a game-design perspective?

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: April 02, 2020, 04:52:39 am »

That's not evidence. I mean the fact that mail-mi died, and e says it wasn't him. As far as I can tell, that means there are three possibilities:

1) There are two killing items (or e is lying and doesn't have a killing item).
2) Some kind of busdriving shenanigans.
3) We have a third party (SK or second scum team).

1 and 2 don't seem all that likely to me, and while a Serial Killer is definitely possible (which still means there is non-Mafia scum to find), I don't know that we can say that it's particularly more likely than a second scum team. Am I missing something?

What doesn't make any sense from a game-design perspective?
That's all fair, but none of it implies that there are no more mafia.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: April 02, 2020, 05:08:39 am »

Sure, but it implies that it's probable there is non-Mafia scum and plausible that the majority of remaining scum are non-Mafia.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: April 02, 2020, 05:27:24 am »

Sure, but it implies that it's probable there is non-Mafia scum and plausible that the majority of remaining scum are non-Mafia.
True, but we have a lot of data to help us find those remaining Mafia, and not a lot to find other scum, so that's what we should focus on. Also, you specifcially said "there's a good chance that there are no more Mafia", are you retracting that statement?

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: April 02, 2020, 06:23:46 am »

True, but we have a lot of data to help us find those remaining Mafia, and not a lot to find other scum, so that's what we should focus on. Also, you specifcially said "there's a good chance that there are no more Mafia", are you retracting that statement?

Eh, after some more thought I realised 2-2 was probably too few scum for a multiball game this size. I think we may have seen 3-2 before, but it's probably not common.

Surely if there's any reasonable chance that there are 0-1 remaining Mafia, we cannot be basing cases purely on interactions (or lack thereof) with Mafia.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: April 02, 2020, 06:33:56 am »

Eh, after some more thought I realised 2-2 was probably too few scum for a multiball game this size. I think we may have seen 3-2 before, but it's probably not common.

Surely if there's any reasonable chance that there are 0-1 remaining Mafia, we cannot be basing cases purely on interactions (or lack thereof) with Mafia.
I think we can, and should.

I mean, sure there could be a third party, and there probably is. But not knowing what kind of third party it is makes it hard to look for them. Especially a Serial Killer is just extremely hard to find. Another scum team might have more incriminating interactions, but since we don't know it exists, we shouldn't base cases on their existence.

Also, completely eliminating a faction reduces the overall number of nightkills, giving us more time to find the other scum.

Third, if there is a SK I think it's reasonable to assume that there are 2 mafia left. I think this is the most likely scenario, since a SK seems to make a lot of sense in this setup, and mail-mi was a sort of SK-y kill.

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #1513 on: April 02, 2020, 06:40:50 am »

Vote: scolapasta

I don’t want to kill ash or faust today, I don’t see a new wagon having time to gain traction. Based on the votes he’s the most likely third mafia.

I agree with Jimmm that there’s a decent chance of 2/2 but faust is right that there’s still a not insignificant chance raptor and mail-mi have a partner out there, and we have a lot more to go on to find that person.

Especially given raptor’s going out of his way to imply he only had one partner. That makes me think it more likely he had more partners.

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: April 02, 2020, 07:59:14 am »

I do think there's a good chance that the mafia kill is delayed via mail-mi's poison.  Maybe they had the option of one or the other (factional or poison).  Or maybe the factional kill was blocked/doc'ed, etc.

Just to say that going by number of kills, knowing a poisoner existed on N1, is not going to be conclusive.

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1515 on: April 02, 2020, 08:12:43 am »

This doesn't follow.  The poison didn't increase the number of kills yet. It's not relevant to looking at why there was a non-mafia kill last night. Why is ash pretending to give advice?

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: WestCoastDidds
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: April 02, 2020, 08:29:18 am »

Vote Count 2.WCD

scolapasta (5): faust, ADK, WCD, Cayvie, Glooble
Ashersky (3): EFHW, scolapasta, Shraeye
faust (2): MiX, LaLight
Cayvie (1): Jimmmmm

Not Voting (3):E!, Ashersky, Lekkit

With 14 alive, takes 8 players to lynch.
Deadline for Day 2 is April 2nd at 9:12pm Forum Time. (About 12 hours from now)
classic Diddsian meddling
I never got to read what Didds said, but whatever she's saying, she's right.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: April 02, 2020, 08:40:03 am »

I agree the schola is seeming towny
Agree with who?

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: April 02, 2020, 08:44:36 am »

Hey Jimmmm, it’s good to see you! That’s some heavy lifting on cayvie. I appreciate the fresh eyes, but I’m not sure she’s getting enough credit for the raptor wagon. Her scumsensor was on point. Does t mean that she can’t be a third party, but I don’t think she’s Mafia after that.

Cayvie, good on you for the essential health care work. I hope you are taking good care, and that we’re providing some interesting distraction for you.

The raptor wagon went from 0 to lynched in 6 hours, so a new wagon isn’t impossible but would require some attentiveness than I think maybe we have today.

I feel like there are some folks playing under the radar right now. I just had to check to see if MiX was in this game. And I know Shraeye is busy, but still. E said he’d be back around, yeah?

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: April 02, 2020, 08:45:48 am »

Jimmmm, can you summarize why you seem to fee unsure on cayvie, but still think it's worth a vote?  Or maybe I'm misinterpreting that you're feeling unsure on cayvie.  What gives?

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: April 02, 2020, 08:45:54 am »

I agree the schola is seeming towny
Agree with who?

Sorry....it was Ash, the post right before mine.

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: April 02, 2020, 08:47:31 am »

I feel like there are some folks playing under the radar right now. I just had to check to see if MiX was in this game. And I know Shraeye is busy, but still. E said he’d be back around, yeah?

Don't pretend you forgot me.

And cayvie driving a Raptor wagon from 0 to 6 WHEN another fairly viable alternative was Raptor's partner...does that change your calculus?

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: April 02, 2020, 09:00:32 am »

Don't pretend you forgot me.

And cayvie driving a Raptor wagon from 0 to 6 WHEN another fairly viable alternative was Raptor's partner...does that change your calculus?

No, no, you weren’t on the forgotten list. I was waiting for you to be unbusy!

So, cayvie would have had to have started the raptor wagon with the idea that it might pull some votes from mail-mi, and that we’d lynch MiX instead? Not that unlikely, I guess, but seems like a stretch.

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: April 02, 2020, 09:22:57 am »

I agree with faust that we should mafia hunt. The odds of there being no more mafia are low, whereas the PoE to find them is high. Unfortunately I haven't finished my VCA, and I doubt I will in time, so my vote will be...uninformed. Sorry in advance, distractions have multiplied and I no longer have 3 hours of my life where the only thing I can do is reread mafia games.

My vote on faust will stay but I do believe he was leading to be not-mafia due to yesterday's votes, when/if I find it I'll vote elsewhere. Don't expect my vote to be locked in!

Oh, and I don't see why cayvie's scum. Forgetting that you did the same thing you're accusing Didds of is a town trait, not a scum one. And those arguments sound about as wrong as town's: right for the wrong reasons.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: April 02, 2020, 09:35:11 am »

This doesn't follow.  The poison didn't increase the number of kills yet. It's not relevant to looking at why there was a non-mafia kill last night. Why is ash pretending to give advice?

What?

I am positing that the poison will increase the number of kills.  That is, that we had one kill on N1 does not preclude multi-ball.

I am not pretending to do anything.  Your post seems entirely too antagonistic, especially as literally no one else had such a negative reaction.

There was just a back-and-forth about the existence of more mafia, multiple scum teams, etc.  Some of those posts took into account that there was only one NK, that the claimed vig claimed not to be responsible, and that the target was mafia.  My reaction when reading was that no one seemed to be taking into account the poisoner role, which is not so common.  It could just have been forgotten, so I was reminding folks.

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 87  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 20 queries.