Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 57  All

Author Topic: M66: Paris Mafia (Game Over, Town Wins)  (Read 132395 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
Re: M66: Paris Mafia (Day 1)
« Reply #275 on: August 21, 2015, 07:37:34 pm »

well, maybe silverspawn

nope, sorry.

QuickSync

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 21, 2015, 07:40:00 pm »

It is not trivial to come up with fake reasons for voting and feel sincere however.

How it's not trivial? Just think of a reason why town would vote that way, then make sure it's not inconsistent with your previous actions, and that's it.

I think the point they are trying to make is that its way harder to come up with legit reasons for a vote as scum as opposed to Town. Take Scott Howard Rule Of Odd Posts for example.

You can safely assume that no one here knows what that is (well, maybe silverspawn ?). So, what is it ?

The basic idea behind it is that Scum psychologically have difficulty giving a read on their scumbuddies that seems genuine. This necessitates that they, since knowing who town are, also have a hard time psychologically coming up with believable read for Town being Scum.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 21, 2015, 07:42:29 pm »

Not all scum.  Different people play a lot differently, and some people as scum get mad in a situation like this.  Town does too, but as I said, I think it looked more like frustrated scum, not frustrated town.

Why?

I don't quite know how to explain why I think it's frustrated scum and not frustrated town.  It's more of a gut read.  It might be because of how scum will often get mad about votes that don't make sense, but that isn't necessarily it.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #278 on: August 21, 2015, 07:43:08 pm »

Ok... if it is trivial, how is it you think we catch scum ?

Looking at the things you can't fake, like voting or unvoting people.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 21, 2015, 07:44:02 pm »

Ok... if it is trivial, how is it you think we catch scum ?

Looking at the things you can't fake, like voting or unvoting people.

You are aware than explained votes are still votes, right ? How does explaining them make it easier for scum ?
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 21, 2015, 07:44:46 pm »

Awaclus Mime 2015
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #281 on: August 21, 2015, 07:46:44 pm »

You are aware than explained votes are still votes, right ? How does explaining them make it easier for scum ?

Well, it doesn't necessarily make it easier. It is a great chance to say things to manipulate town into seeing the fake town narrative, but scum has other ways of doing that besides explaining their votes.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

QuickSync

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 21, 2015, 07:47:43 pm »

Not all scum.  Different people play a lot differently, and some people as scum get mad in a situation like this.  Town does too, but as I said, I think it looked more like frustrated scum, not frustrated town.

Why?

I don't quite know how to explain why I think it's frustrated scum and not frustrated town.  It's more of a gut read.  It might be because of how scum will often get mad about votes that don't make sense, but that isn't necessarily it.

If all you're going on is gut at this point I can tell you right now its completely wrong.

QuickSync

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 21, 2015, 07:49:06 pm »

Well, it doesn't necessarily make it easier. It is a great chance to say things to manipulate town into seeing the fake town narrative, but scum has other ways of doing that besides explaining their votes.

The problem with your strategy of not explaining votes is that because of the way it works, to have integrity, all you should be doing is voting and unvoting and nothing else.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 21, 2015, 07:50:08 pm »

Why?

If all you're going on is gut at this point I can tell you right now its completely wrong.

Scum is more likely to be mad than town because a mafia dying is worse for the mafia than a townsperson is bad for the town. 
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

QuickSync

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: August 21, 2015, 07:55:47 pm »

Why?

Scum is more likely to be mad than town because a mafia dying is worse for the mafia than a townsperson is bad for the town.

This makes not sense at all. People do not work that way in reality. It is natural to not want to be voted off and it takes a lot of guts for a person as Town to not caring about being voted off. A very small percentage of people actually act out this way in practice. I mean, you are basically saying that the average person only gets upset for getting voted off as Scum and NOT Town. Its a theory that doesn't hold up to scrutiny when looking at the psychological effects of when people are put under pressure and what people as individuals do when that happens.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 21, 2015, 07:57:22 pm »

That theory absolutely does hold up in practice, combine with the fact that scum tends to oevrreact to pressure because they know they're guilty.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 21, 2015, 08:00:12 pm »

I grow weary of this discussion. 

QuickSync

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 21, 2015, 08:03:17 pm »

That theory absolutely does hold up in practice, combine with the fact that scum tends to oevrreact to pressure because they know they're guilty.

But only in part. You cannot be dogmatic about this kind of theory. People DO behave differently on an individual basis. Some people are more reactive than others, this, I am ok saying, is fact.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 21, 2015, 08:09:19 pm »

Obviously.

@WW : It's not the best, but frankly I don't have anything better to say at the moment.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 21, 2015, 08:45:30 pm »

Teproc makes sense. Awalcus is mime, nohing new though.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 21, 2015, 08:52:43 pm »

DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

QuickSync

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 21, 2015, 11:17:28 pm »

Teproc makes sense. Awalcus is mime, nohing new though.

That's a conclusion without providing how you came to it which is just like voting without providing reasons.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 21, 2015, 11:18:47 pm »

Sometimes in life, you just have to close your eyes, pull the trigger, and wince.

Which you don't have to, because Awaclus is mime. :)

QuickSync

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 21, 2015, 11:31:34 pm »

Sometimes in life, you just have to close your eyes, pull the trigger, and wince.

Which you don't have to, because Awaclus is mime. :)

Why? Is this a meta read or something?

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 21, 2015, 11:35:00 pm »

Awaclus is pushing to get lynched for saying poor opinions.

QuickSync

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 22, 2015, 12:20:19 am »

Awaclus is pushing to get lynched for saying poor opinions.

Can you link specific posts where he has done this?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #297 on: August 22, 2015, 03:08:54 am »

The problem with your strategy of not explaining votes is that because of the way it works, to have integrity, all you should be doing is voting and unvoting and nothing else.

Not really. I can also state my reads regarding people I'm not voting, and participate in theory talk.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 22, 2015, 07:44:04 am »

I ought to be able to participate more now that I'm done with College Mafia.

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 22, 2015, 08:01:07 am »

I feel like this day has been dominated by QuickSync and responses to QuickSync.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 57  All

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 16 queries.