Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 30  All

Author Topic: f.ds Nomic 1 (Thread 3): liopoil's turn  (Read 68736 times)

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
Re: f.ds Nomic 1 (Thread 3): EFHW's turn
« Reply #475 on: April 02, 2014, 08:02:19 pm »

If your unit is a Soldier with level 1 Skill, then other players' unit cannot move into any of the 8 boxes around you.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: April 02, 2014, 08:08:27 pm »

Vote: Yes on proposal 360, however...

I couldn't simplify to just classes or just attributes because the classes don't mean anything without attributes, and only units with classes can have attributes!

Final Proposal #360:
Units represent people.  Each unit can have one class and any number of attributes.  Attributes and classes are defined by rules, and should be capitalized.

Classes.  A unit can be placed without a class, or assigned to a class at the time of placement.  Each class has unique abilities.  Assigning a unit to a class costs 1 IP and can be done at any point in the player's turn by posting in bold Assign Unit at ## to X class.  Units can change class, but they lose all their attributes.  Units of different classes are identical when all attributes are at level 0.

This rule defines the classes Farmer and Soldier.  Their special abilities could be reflected in attributes such as skill, productivity, tools, etc.  Farmers are represented on the map by a block "F" in the player's color.  Soldiers are represented on the map by a block "S" in the player's color.

Attributes.   Attributes give units new abilities or increase existing abilities.  Some attributes affect all units the same way, others give abilities specialized to the unit's class.  A unit needs to belong to a class in order to be assigned attributes.  All attributes start at level 0.  Abilities at each level depend on the attribute.  To raise an attribute up a level costs N$25 and 1 IP and can be ordered at any point in the player's turn by posting in bold Unit at ##: Raise X [attribute] to level Y [the next level].  Pay N$25.  Raised attributes take effect immediately, so they can be raised and used in the same turn, including the turn they are placed.  However, any given attribute can only be raised one level per turn per unit. 

This rule defines the attribute Speed (abbreviation Sp.).  Units at level 0 Speed move one space a turn.  All units at level 1 Speed can move 2 spaces per turn, at level 2, 3 spaces per turn, and so forth.  This attribute is currently the same for all classes.

This rule also defines the attribute Skill (abbreviation Sk.).  For Skill, the abilities associated with each level depend on the class of the unit.  Other players' units cannot move into proximity with Soldiers at level 1 skill.  Units that are already adjacent at the time of the attribute raise are not affected until they wish to move to a new square.  Farmers at Skill level 1 get double proximity points. 

Attributes are represented on the map under the unit symbol by small print abbreviations followed by the relevant level.  For example, Sp 1, Sk 2.

1. Does speed influence how many moves you make in a turn, or how many moves per IP?
2. Why would I ever want to be a soldier?
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: April 02, 2014, 08:17:51 pm »

I was just noticing the conflict about unit movement.  I misunderstood how movement works - I thought it was 1 per turn.  But I see now it is 1 per IP.  The earlier rule should take precedence, since it has a lower number.  Is it still possible to make the revision now so that it is consistent?  I would need to make Speed refer to each move, not each turn.

mail-mi you would want a soldier to restrict other players' ability to move around the board.  I should also note that level 1 skill Soldiers can still move into other players' adjacent squares and restrict their movement that way (the other unit can only move away from the soldier).  When we have more than one unit, soldiers would also be useful for guarding other units or territories.

Can I take advantage of this rule, assuming it passes, in this turn?

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: April 02, 2014, 08:23:26 pm »

Can I take advantage of this rule, assuming it passes, in this turn?

Ok, I found the rule saying I can.  But it is not a mandatory action, so someone else could end the turn before I have a chance?  Is that correct?

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: April 02, 2014, 09:53:51 pm »

@people who don't know why to be a soldier: it can currently already be very useful to restrict other people access to treasure chests.

@EFHW: To your question "Is it still possible to make the revision now so that it is consistent?" No, final proposal is final proposal. Someone else has to amend your rule in a future turn if we want to change it.
You are correct in your last post. I feel a bit bad now ending your turn if you didn't knew the rules, but I'm going to do it anyway: if you realized the vote had already passed, you should just have tried to use your own rule. If that wasn't allowed, we would have said something.

So: Vote passes, 6-0 (only a simple majority is required, and we have 11 players right now)

I declare it to be Jimmmmm's turn.

This new rule is not completely clear though:
-Is "proximity" a well-defined term as the 8 squares adjacent to you? (I think that's fine, although the better term would be "directly adjacent or diagonally adjacent")

-Does the movement restriction of this rule because of low speed work, or is it overruled by rule 335? (I think rule 335 takes precedence, so currently your speed does nothing, you can always move 4 times a turn)

-Does the soldier ability work? (I'm not sure here. It might be overruled by rule 335, but rule 335 says "A player may not attempt to move a Unit to an invalid tile", so are the tiles next to a soldier "invalid tiles"? I think it depends on your interpretation)

-I think we need a new precedence rule. Probably either a rule that new rules take precedence over old rules (as others have been promoting) or saying that rules which disallow things take precedence over rules which allow things (which I think is a natural way to do stuff)

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: April 02, 2014, 09:54:28 pm »

Ooh my turn! I have some catching up to do first.

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: April 02, 2014, 11:47:28 pm »

I didn't realize.  The last vote that passed needed 7.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: April 03, 2014, 01:04:24 am »

I don't think movement is messed up.  It doesn't work as intended, but it still works.  Now, you can't spend two IPs to move a unit twice (with a unit with speed of 0).  With speed 1, you can move a unit twice with two IPs.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: April 03, 2014, 02:18:18 am »

I couldn't simplify to just classes or just attributes because the classes don't mean anything without attributes, and only units with classes can have attributes!

Final Proposal #360:
Units represent people.  Each unit can have one class and any number of attributes.  Attributes and classes are defined by rules, and should be capitalized.

Classes.  A unit can be placed without a class, or assigned to a class at the time of placement.  Each class has unique abilities.  Assigning a unit to a class costs 1 IP and can be done at any point in the player's turn by posting in bold Assign Unit at ## to X class.  Units can change class, but they lose all their attributes.  Units of different classes are identical when all attributes are at level 0.

This rule defines the classes Farmer and Soldier.  Their special abilities could be reflected in attributes such as skill, productivity, tools, etc.  Farmers are represented on the map by a block "F" in the player's color.  Soldiers are represented on the map by a block "S" in the player's color.

Attributes.   Attributes give units new abilities or increase existing abilities.  Some attributes affect all units the same way, others give abilities specialized to the unit's class.  A unit needs to belong to a class in order to be assigned attributes.  All attributes start at level 0.  Abilities at each level depend on the attribute.  To raise an attribute up a level costs N$25 and 1 IP and can be ordered at any point in the player's turn by posting in bold Unit at ##: Raise X [attribute] to level Y [the next level].  Pay N$25.  Raised attributes take effect immediately, so they can be raised and used in the same turn, including the turn they are placed.  However, any given attribute can only be raised one level per turn per unit. 

This rule defines the attribute Speed (abbreviation Sp.).  Units at level 0 Speed move one space a turn.  All units at level 1 Speed can move 2 spaces per turn, at level 2, 3 spaces per turn, and so forth.  This attribute is currently the same for all classes.

This rule also defines the attribute Skill (abbreviation Sk.).  For Skill, the abilities associated with each level depend on the class of the unit.  Other players' units cannot move into proximity with Soldiers at level 1 skill.  Units that are already adjacent at the time of the attribute raise are not affected until they wish to move to a new square.  Farmers at Skill level 1 get double proximity points. 

Attributes are represented on the map under the unit symbol by small print abbreviations followed by the relevant level.  For example, Sp 1, Sk 2.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
Re: f.ds Nomic 1 (Thread 3): Jimmmmm's turn
« Reply #484 on: April 03, 2014, 02:18:38 am »

Oops! Didn't mean to post that. Either way, everything is updated.

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: April 03, 2014, 01:18:38 pm »

Now, you can't spend two IPs to move a unit twice (with a unit with speed of 0).
I'm not sure whether that is correct. Rule 335 says you're allowed to do that, but rule 360 says your not allowed. Rule 335 takes precedence...

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: April 05, 2014, 01:21:42 am »

Bump of the bump...you got anything, Jimmmmm?

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: April 05, 2014, 01:26:53 am »

Bump of the bump...you got anything, Jimmmmm?

Sorry, haven't had a lot of time. I know the deadline's coming up and I'll have something in by then.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: April 05, 2014, 07:54:05 am »

Okay, a couple of things I think we should change:

I know it was me who proposed it, but I think the unit upkeep cost should happen once per round, at the end of the round after the last person's turn, rather than after each person's turn. That means we resolve it once, and we're done, rather than having to remember to do it after every single turn. I also think that this money should go into a communal account, ie taxes that we can vote together to use to build things on the map that will help our units get around etc.

I also think that we should require our units to consume food once per round. Say each unit begins with 3 food, and 1 is deducted per round. Maybe if a unit doesn't have any food in its inventory, that unit becomes hungry and is restricted in what actions in can take while hungry - maybe it can only move. Failure to eat again could result in it becoming starving, and finally death, and 2 or even 3 food is required to move up from starving to hungry or hungry to normal.

Thoughts?

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: April 05, 2014, 07:54:41 am »

Also sudgy, if I spawn a treasure chest next to you, will you split it with me 50-50?

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: April 05, 2014, 07:58:03 am »

And heron, Grujah, any offers for a VP exchange?

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: April 05, 2014, 09:47:39 am »

heron's not playing anymore, but his unit stays on the map because we don't have a rule saying anything happens to the units of players who leave the game.

I'm not sure I understand your food proposal - doesn't it accomplish the same thing as unit upkeep?

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: April 05, 2014, 09:51:07 am »

heron's not playing anymore, but his unit stays on the map because we don't have a rule saying anything happens to the units of players who leave the game.

Oh, right.

I'm not sure I understand your food proposal - doesn't it accomplish the same thing as unit upkeep?

Well one thing it does is add to the unit upkeep - you'd now need both money and food in order to have unit. But more important is the fact that it creates something else that we need and will actually need to move our guys around in order to collect, which will be much more interesting than what the map is at the moment - a bunch of units sitting around doing nothing.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: April 05, 2014, 10:24:34 am »

I feel like food and upkeep cost should probably be different rules, so I'll focus on food for now.

Draft Proposal

Immediately following the turn of the last player in the player order, each unit which is able to automatically consumes 1 Food from their inventory.

Any unit which does not have any food in their inventory at this time gains the attribute Hungry.

Any Hungry unit which does not have any food in their inventory at this time is permanently removed from the game.

If a Hungry unit has Food in its inventory, the player who controls it may spend 1 IP and post in bold Feed unit at ##. 1 Food is used up and the unit loses the Hungry attribute.

This is the only command that can be given to a Hungry unit - it can neither move nor perform any other kind of action.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: April 05, 2014, 02:26:25 pm »

I'll exchange, 1 for 1.

And I have much more options that both you and heron, I should be the one asking the question, really XD

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: April 05, 2014, 04:00:53 pm »

This sounds good. Especially if we can tie in rules for Food with the unit class Farmer somehow.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: April 05, 2014, 06:43:00 pm »

Oh, also need to put in that units start with food.

Obviously there's no way to actually gain food at this point, but we have plenty of time to change that.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: April 05, 2014, 07:16:18 pm »

I have to go and I won't be back before my proposal deadline so I'd better just propose it.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: April 05, 2014, 07:28:12 pm »

Proposal 361:

Each unit has an inventory which initially has a capacity of 5 units.
Unless stated otherwise in the rules, each item takes up 1 unit of capacity.

Immediately following the turn of the last player in the player order, each unit which is able to automatically consumes 1 Food from its inventory.
Any unit which does not have any food in its inventory at this time becomes Hungry.
Any Hungry unit which does not have any Food in its inventory at this time is permanently removed from the game.

If a Hungry unit has Food in its inventory, the player who controls it may spend 1 IP and post in bold Feed unit at ##. 1 Food is used up and the unit is no longer Hungry.
This is the only command that can be given to a Hungry unit - it can neither move nor perform any other kind of action.

Whenever a unit is on the map which has never had any Food in its inventory, it immediately gains 2 Food items.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: April 05, 2014, 07:38:24 pm »

Vote: Yes on 361
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 30  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 17 queries.