Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 30  All

Author Topic: f.ds Nomic 1 (Thread 3): liopoil's turn  (Read 68786 times)

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
    • View Profile
Re: f.ds Nomic 1 (Thread 3): Grujah's turn
« Reply #275 on: March 04, 2014, 02:07:29 am »

Sorry, but Vote: No on rule 354.  I feel like this won't really add much to the game, and I don't see how it could.  I would rather work on the existing mechanics than add new ones I don't see a benefit to.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 04, 2014, 10:10:36 am »

Vote: No on rule 354

Rule does not pass, 8/12 no's.

I declare it to be florrat's turn.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 04, 2014, 10:26:53 am »

Updating in progress!

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
Re: f.ds Nomic 1 (Thread 3): florrat's turn
« Reply #278 on: March 04, 2014, 10:35:36 am »

Grujah was charged for his unit and the tracking spreadsheet updated. I believe those were the only changes needed.

Now that I'm not creeping on these forums 24/7, I'm going to use my next rule to create officers/some sort of titles for people to keep track of each thing so we don't accidentally lose track.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 04, 2014, 10:38:29 am »

Oh, mail-mi and EFHW both have colors! I took that part out of the rules as stated.

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 04, 2014, 12:59:19 pm »

My current proposal is
Quote from: draft rule
Once per turn, the current player may spend 1 IP to spawn a treasure chest in any empty location. He does this by posting Treasure chest at ## where ## is the name of the tile where the treasure chest is spawned. This tile cannot be entered by any unit until the end of the turn.

When any unit enters a location with a treasure chest, the owner of that unit rolls 1d200. The result is added to that player's amount of Nomic dollars.
Remarks:
-A location is empty if it does not contain a unit, a treasure chest, or any future object. Should this be clarified?
-Initially I wanted to penalize spawning a treasure chest close to you (specifically: I wanted to make it only possible to spawn a treasure chest in a location which is furthest from any unit). I think that is not necessary, since you're not allowed to pick up the treasure you spawned that turn.
-I think this already creates nontrivial decisions when combined with the Proximity rule. If you want to use the proximity rule every turn, then you can't spawn the TC too far away, but if you spawn it too close, someone else might grab it (perhaps when giving up the proximity points). If you put it in a location where you need exactly 4 moves to grab it, others might block you. There can be kingmaking: maybe player A cannot grab a specific treasure chest, but might decide who can pick it up (by blocking the other player), and people can bride others with small amounts of Nomic dollars to block or not block.

Ideas, thought and comments are welcome!

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 04, 2014, 01:40:50 pm »

So why would someone spawn a treasure chest?  I guess because he gets a deal from someone else (i.e. someone says "I'll pay you N$100 to spawn a treasure chest next to me" or whatever)?  That seems okay.

I think it would be much more interesting if the amount of money in the treasure chest were determined (and announced) when the chest is spawned, not when it's opened.  Then I have to decide, do I go for the far away one that's worth more, or the closer one that's worth less, etc.  And then you don't end up traveling across the board only to find out that chest was worth N$3.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 04, 2014, 01:49:22 pm »

I think just randomly spawning chests every turn or something would be better.  I would just always spawn one on me and get money for it.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 04, 2014, 01:58:30 pm »

I don't care strongly about the specifics but I like the concept, so I'm likely a yes vote no matter what.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 04, 2014, 03:06:01 pm »

Now that I'm not creeping on these forums 24/7, I'm going to use my next rule to create officers/some sort of titles for people to keep track of each thing so we don't accidentally lose track.

I agree with this. We should have official elected paid positions.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: March 04, 2014, 03:07:12 pm »

Named after Dominion cards, for example, one updating the map is the Cartographer :P

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 04, 2014, 03:09:57 pm »

I think just randomly spawning chests every turn or something would be better.  I would just always spawn one on me and get money for it.

You can't do that, since it can't be opened the turn that you play it.

One issue with florrat's proposal: assuming everyone spawns in treasure chest per turn. That will mean that on average N$100 will be entering the system every turn. If this is the case, there should be a similar amount leaving the system every turn. I think one way to make the game really boring is for everyone to have plenty of money.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 04, 2014, 03:23:40 pm »

HEAVY taxing for the rich people!

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 04, 2014, 03:28:49 pm »

A taxing system could be interesting if we created a pool of communal money which we then voted on how to use.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 04, 2014, 03:31:45 pm »

A taxing system could be interesting if we created a pool of communal money which we then voted on how to use.

I like it.

florrat

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 04, 2014, 05:07:52 pm »

@scott_pilgrim: "Why would you want to spawn a treasure chest?"
A: As said, you can make a deal with others. But perhaps more often, you can put it in a location not reachable by anyone else in one turn. I think this is possible fairly often, except when you're clumped in the middle of the board, and this rule was meant to provide incentives against clumping. For example: you can make a TC in C13 in your turn, and move 2 steps towards it, and no unit on the board will be able to get it. If you want I can add a clause that newly created units cannot pick up treasure chests on their first turn, so that the treasure chest will be guaranteed to be yours (barring rule changes). Maybe that's a good idea, especially if we will be able to place more than 1 unit on the board per player.

@Jimmmmm: yeah, maybe adding N$100 to the system is a bit much, but I want that the starting amounts of money isn't worth that much. For example, under the current rules we can survive for 100 rounds without getting any income, which will take years. So yeah: some new expenses need to be added, but that should be done even without this new income.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 05:19:42 pm by florrat »

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 04, 2014, 10:49:44 pm »

I agree with this. We should have official elected paid positions.

I like the idea too.  If we don't want to deal with elections, we could make them rotating positions.

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 04, 2014, 10:50:20 pm »

I like it.

A good school system, health care, public safety.  Absolutely!

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 04, 2014, 10:52:25 pm »

Not loving the make treasure chest idea.  What if we had some kind of exploration, like in Civilization, where unexplored terrain is obscured by fog, and exploring could uncover treasure chests, and maybe other things, too.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 04, 2014, 11:04:57 pm »

I have a better idea than having money in chests: you could have some sort of commodity in the chests, like food or something, which can either be used or taken somewhere to exchange for money.

florrat

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 05, 2014, 04:25:08 pm »

Create G10

I'm just going to finally propose my draft, since most comments were about things I could not propose this turn anymore, since they weren't in my draft. The only change is that new units cannot pick up treasure chests (and saying that this rule overrules the previous rule, because otherwise my movement restriction wouldn't have any effect)

Final Proposal for Rule 355: Once per turn, the current player may spend 1 IP to spawn a treasure chest in any empty location. He does this by posting Treasure chest at ## where ## is the name of the tile where the treasure chest is spawned. This tile cannot be entered by any unit until the end of the turn. Also, units cannot be created on locations with treasure chests or move to locations with treasure chests on the turn they are created. The previous two sentences overrule any rule allowing for such movement or creation.

When any unit enters a location with a treasure chest, the owner of that unit rolls 1d200. The result is added to that player's amount of Nomic dollars.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 05, 2014, 04:25:52 pm »

Okay, some ideas:

Whenever money is earned or transferred, the receiver owes a certain percentage of tax. They have to send a unit of theirs to a location on the map, the Tax Office to pay what they owe. Maybe interest is charged, or maybe there are penalties for having a certain amount of debt.

This money is used to pay our elected officials (people like the map updater and tax collector etc), and can also be used, after a vote of course, to pay for communal roads, buildings etc to be built. They can only be built by units, so we'd have to use it to pay whoever's willing to spare their units to complete the task, as well as for the materials to do so.

Roads can be a super useful way of getting around; maybe you can purchase or build a bike which lets your unit move twice per IP, but only if on a road.

I'm also thinking that maybe a bigger map is in order.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 05, 2014, 04:27:34 pm »

Vote: No on 355, sorry. I think we can do better than a direct source of money, such as my suggestion for a different commodity that can be exchanged for money.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 05, 2014, 04:33:47 pm »

Vote: Yes on 355

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 05, 2014, 04:42:54 pm »

Vote: Yes on 355
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 30  All

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 16 queries.