Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Author Topic: New Player!  (Read 40643 times)

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
Re: New Player!
« Reply #125 on: January 10, 2014, 07:37:11 pm »
+1

What would I have if I had the whole thing?  Underlings and Peasants and Aristocrats right?
Yeah, if you got both of those, then you've got all of Intrigue.

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
  • Respect: +23
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 10, 2014, 07:48:07 pm »

What would I have if I had the whole thing?  Underlings and Peasants and Aristocrats right?
Yeah, if you got both of those, then you've got all of Intrigue.

I got em both!

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2014, 05:37:15 am »

Base and Intrigue is a great combination; it's what the person who introduced me to the game had, and kept our group going for a long time.  Whenever I've since played Base only it's felt very limited, but that never happened for Base and Intrigue.

Doubling the number of cards available does a lot to stop Kingdoms being dominated by the same few powerful cards.  You start to get variations on themes too, which teaches you about subtle differences between cards: Village and Shanty Town can look quite similar at first, but turn out to play rather differently, and deciding which is more useful in any given situation is an extra level of strategic depth.

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2014, 03:43:40 pm »

Base and Intrigue is a great combination; it's what the person who introduced me to the game had, and kept our group going for a long time.  Whenever I've since played Base only it's felt very limited, but that never happened for Base and Intrigue.

Doubling the number of cards available does a lot to stop Kingdoms being dominated by the same few powerful cards.  You start to get variations on themes too, which teaches you about subtle differences between cards: Village and Shanty Town can look quite similar at first, but turn out to play rather differently, and deciding which is more useful in any given situation is an extra level of strategic depth.

Yeah I've realized there's a lot more strategy with intrigue and base. However there are some cards I gotta learn. Or I should just read up on the different Intrigue combos. That would probably help

manthos88

• Bishop
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2014, 07:42:23 pm »
+3

Yeah I've realized there's a lot more strategy with intrigue and base. However there are some cards I gotta learn. Or I should just read up on the different Intrigue combos. That would probably help

Please, do yourself the favor and don't read anything about combos and such. It takes away part of the fun of discovering the game by yourself. Try out the cards by yourself first, then, if you really feel like you want to look up for something more complex and "professional", then go check it out. And i need to warn you about one thing: Most strategies on this site refer about games being played in a 2-player game. When 3 or more players are in the game, things can be totally different.

There is also the danger that you may not be able to pull off a strategy that you read, because you will not have the experience to do it in the right way.

You may also not want to be more aknowledged than your friends are about this game, unless you want to be a teacher or something :P. It's more fun for all the players to have the same level of knowledge about a game. That is only my opinion, of course. You can do whatever you want.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 07:46:51 pm by manthos88 »
Just give me a mega-turn engine and take my soul...

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 11, 2014, 09:39:37 pm »
+2

Only most?
Im wounded Mr Footnote! Wounded!

That's MISTER Mr Footnote to you!

I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4453
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2014, 09:54:47 pm »
+2

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 11, 2014, 10:56:48 pm »

Hahaha that made me laugh.

Thanks for all the advice!  I'll be sure to just play the game and learn that way.  I think that's a better way to learn the combos too. 

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 11, 2014, 11:09:30 pm »

You may also not want to be more aknowledged than your friends are about this game, unless you want to be a teacher or something :P. It's more fun for all the players to have the same level of knowledge about a game. That is only my opinion, of course. You can do whatever you want.

Yeah, but it is really fun to pull of a little NV/bridge combo on your friends when they aren't expecting it.

Thanks for all the advice!  I'll be sure to just play the game and learn that way.  I think that's a better way to learn the combos too.

I disagree (to some extent).  Playing a lot with friends is the most fun way to learn, but combos like NV/bridge are not necessarily obvious, and while it might be fun to stumble into it, I dont think that there is any problem at all learning about it by reading about it.  In fact, I would strongly recommend reading through all of the "combos of the day" on that are on the blog.  (NV/Bridge is #27)
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

manthos88

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 12, 2014, 07:34:14 am »
+1

Yeah, but it is really fun to pull of a little NV/bridge combo on your friends when they aren't expecting it.

I disagree (to some extent).  Playing a lot with friends is the most fun way to learn, but combos like NV/bridge are not necessarily obvious, and while it might be fun to stumble into it, I dont think that there is any problem at all learning about it by reading about it.  In fact, I would strongly recommend reading through all of the "combos of the day" on that are on the blog.  (NV/Bridge is #27)

Yes, combos like this are not obvious. But, getting into the procedure of checking them out means that you want to move to the next level. When you are new to the game, seeing these articles may create some confusion in the way you see things in Dominion generally, because most of these articles take for granted things that new players are not even aware of.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4389
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #135 on: January 12, 2014, 07:58:25 am »
+1

I would say you probably want to play a bit first to get a feel for things, and then move on to studying more. But if you don't have much of a feel for how games play out, you're just jumping too far ahead, and specific articles like combos won't do just tons of good anyway.

manthos88

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 12, 2014, 07:18:38 pm »

I would say you probably want to play a bit first to get a feel for things, and then move on to studying more. But if you don't have much of a feel for how games play out, you're just jumping too far ahead, and specific articles like combos won't do just tons of good anyway.

Not only that. The new player may get some wrong messages. For example, combos encourage you to play with some specific kingdom cards, while, at most, ignoring the presence of other cards. But this is not the right play. In fact, it's rarely the right play, because there may be some kingdom cards that can enchance the efficiency of your combo and if you don't see that while your opponent does, it will mean that you will lose the game.

In the Native Village/Bridge example given above, this combo is certainly enchanced by the presence of Workshop/Ironworks/Armory. This is not specified in the article, that says "buy nothing but Native Villages and Bridges". So the new player may ignore the presence of such cards, which is obviously not the right play.

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 12, 2014, 08:24:08 pm »
+1

Yeah I've played a few games against the AI and in figuring things out but I don't think it would hurt a lot to just keep an open mind while I read and obviously take your advice and just take the article with a grain of salt and try not to get too stuck on what it's saying. I definitely think that would help

manthos88

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 13, 2014, 04:06:10 am »

Yeah I've played a few games against the AI and in figuring things out but I don't think it would hurt a lot to just keep an open mind while I read and obviously take your advice and just take the article with a grain of salt and try not to get too stuck on what it's saying. I definitely think that would help

Yeah, that's good. If you can do that, it's definitely good.

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 13, 2014, 06:35:10 am »

Yeah, that's good. If you can do that, it's definitely good.

Yeah now to just find the Intrigue articles lol

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 13, 2014, 04:09:30 pm »

If playing a random kingdom set and you get Prosperity as a few of the cards, do people always play with Colony and Platinum?  Or is it more rare to see those types of games?  Is there a preference among the general community?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10725
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 13, 2014, 04:19:08 pm »

If playing a random kingdom set and you get Prosperity as a few of the cards, do people always play with Colony and Platinum?  Or is it more rare to see those types of games?  Is there a preference among the general community?

The suggested rule in the rulebook is that you are more likely to use Platinum and Colony the more Prosperity cards are in your game. If 4 of the cards are from Prosperity, you have a 40% chance to use Platinum/Colony. Pro games on Goko use this rule.

When creating Kingdoms, I've lately just been including them whenever I play with Prosperity, because if I'm playing with Prosperity it means I'm using half or all Prosperity cards. But that's just me.

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 13, 2014, 04:20:08 pm »

The suggested rule in the rulebook is that you are more likely to use Platinum and Colony the more Prosperity cards are in your game. If 4 of the cards are from Prosperity, you have a 40% chance to use Platinum/Colony. Pro games on Goko use this rule.

When creating Kingdoms, I've lately just been including them whenever I play with Prosperity, because if I'm playing with Prosperity it means I'm using half or all Prosperity cards. But that's just me.

Oh okay, so it's just best to use them because the Prosperity cards make use of them?

manthos88

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 13, 2014, 04:40:57 pm »

Oh okay, so it's just best to use them because the Prosperity cards make use of them?

You can use Platinum and Colony whether you are playing with Prosperity cards or not. There is nothing to stop you from that. The rules don't forbid it. But, it's usually more optimal to use them if some Prosperity cards are included. Because Prosperity cards are generally designed to produce more economy. If you use the Platinum/Colony in a game that doesn't include Prosperity cards, you will see that it's kinda hard to hit $11 for a Colony. You can still use them in a non-Prosperity game, though; it's not bad. Sometimes, you will just want to go for Provinces with a little Colony support.

Also, Shelters and Dark Ages is a similar case.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 04:43:40 pm by manthos88 »

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 13, 2014, 04:42:41 pm »

It's not so much that the Prosperity cards need Colonies or Platinums, but there's a strong synergy - the broad theme of Prosperity is "big and expensive", so if you've got a lot of cards from Prosperity then you're going to need some big money (like Platinum), but once you buy the cards they're really good at helping you get even more money, which will let you buy Colonies. Not that you should always go for Colonies when they're out, but if you see them, you should keep them in mind.

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 13, 2014, 04:43:39 pm »
+1

You can use Platinum and Colony whether you are playing with Prosperity cards or not. There is nothing to stop you from that. The rules don't forbid it. But, it's usually more optimal to use them if some Prosperity cards are included. Because Prosperity cards are generally designed to produce more economy. If you use them in a game that doesn't include Prosperity cards, you will see that it's kinda hard to hit $11 for a Colony. You can still use them in a non-Prosperity game, though; it's not bad. Sometimes, you will just want to go for Provinces with a little Colony support.

Oh okay, I didnt know they could be used whenever.  But I guess the simple way to put it is to use them when playing Prosperity or at least some Prosperity kingdom cards.

manthos88

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 13, 2014, 04:45:04 pm »

You can use Platinum and Colony whether you are playing with Prosperity cards or not. There is nothing to stop you from that. The rules don't forbid it. But, it's usually more optimal to use them if some Prosperity cards are included. Because Prosperity cards are generally designed to produce more economy. If you use them in a game that doesn't include Prosperity cards, you will see that it's kinda hard to hit $11 for a Colony. You can still use them in a non-Prosperity game, though; it's not bad. Sometimes, you will just want to go for Provinces with a little Colony support.

Oh okay, I didnt know they could be used whenever.  But I guess the simple way to put it is to use them when playing Prosperity or at least some Prosperity kingdom cards.

Yep, that's exactly the case.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 04:47:07 pm by manthos88 »

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 13, 2014, 04:46:05 pm »

Yep, that's exavtly the case.

Works for me.  Now if only PlaySpan would take my stupid money :P

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10725
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 13, 2014, 05:07:36 pm »
+1

The funny thing is, even though the suggested algorithm for using Platinum/Colony is as I described, Donald has since revealed that the idea was not necessarily to put them together with Prosperity cards, but simply to see Colony and Platinum about as often as you see Prosperity cards in general. So if you own all the cards, you'd just include Platinum and Colony about 1/8 of the time, regardless of how many Prosperity cards may be in your game.

However, this is one of the few points where I disagree with Donald. From what I can gather, Prosperity was almost exclusively tested using Platinum and Colony, and it shows. I don't think cards like Contraband and Counting House would have made the cut if they were tested mostly in non-Colony games. Likewise, many of the very expensive cards that the set is known for (Expand, Forge, Bank, etc.) are much more worthwhile in a Colony game than a Province game. I have found that pairing Platinum/Colony with more Prosperity cards makes for more enjoyable games. That's just my 2¢.

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 15, 2014, 07:16:49 am »
+7

I caved :P.  I got Prosperity, Hinterlands and Alchemy now to go along with Intrigue.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Page created in 2.104 seconds with 22 queries.