Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Author Topic: New Player!  (Read 40290 times)

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
  • Respect: +23
    • View Profile
Re: New Player!
« Reply #100 on: January 10, 2014, 03:12:46 pm »

It's sometimes possible to buy all of the Provinces in one turn.

Blasphemy!  Prove it, sir!

There are many possibilities. The simplest would be a card in the first expansion, Intrigue, called "Bridge". Bridge gives you an extra buy, a coin, and it reduces the cost of all cards by 1. So, if you manage to play 7 Bridges in a turn, then all Provinces will cost just $1; and you will have 8 buys.

That's crazy!  I definitely gotta try that expansion out.

Take a couple minutes and look at this.  :)

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=6855.msg197272#msg197272

Edit:  Most of that would be unFamiliar to you as they are mostly expansion cards.  But there is a simpler way.  In Intrigue there is a card called Bridge which gives +$1 and +1 Buy and makes all cards cost $1 less but not less than 0.  Playing 7 Bridges by drawing your deck and Throne Room can be easily done and isn't too complicated.

I have no words...I don't understand the abbreviations but I can see the recap at the end of the amount of coin and buys he had and what he could buy with it all.  I just...have no words for how epic that is lol.

The things you can do with certain cards is unreal.  Oh, you are going to have fun...

I'm having fun just reading all this, lol.  I assume these plays are totally random depending on what cards get picked for the kingdom cards?  But yeah still ridiculous lol.  I'll have to get Intrigue just for Bridge lol.

Yeah the game really explodes in terms of what you can do once you start picking up expansions. With the base set only, you could buy all Provinces in one turn, but only if you were either playing solitaire,  or playing an opponent who was letting you do it. For example, if you just bought lots of Festivals, Libraries, Council Rooms, Golds, and Villages; it wouldn't be all that hard to draw most or all of your deck in one turn, and have over $64 to spend and 8 buys. But it wouldn't even happen in a normal game of base set only.

Yeah I think you'd have a hard time with just the base set.  I've been close to getting two provinces in one turn but haven't gotten it yet.  Not enough buy, and only like a few coins off from the right amount.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 10, 2014, 03:13:47 pm »
+7

This is quite possibly the best thread this forum has had in a while.  You can expect some conflicting advice, but that's part of Dominion... the same advice is not always applicable to all situations.

• Don't take most things Ozle says seriously.

Is he like, the forum troll or something?

Ozle is... more like the "class clown" than a troll.  Trolls intend to infuriate.  Ozle intends only to be silly, which is infinitely more interesting and useful than trolling.

That said, when Ozle writes something that seems to have no jokes in it at any point... you know shit just got real.

The ones that don't appear to have any jokes in them...... They are the ones with the really subtle jokes...

Someone has to make  the attempt at light relief to water down the über nerds at times! Plus at times the conversations on here are so high level that it can make some readers feel stupid, I give them the output of 'well at least I'm smarter than Ozle'

When I need that output I go and read the BGG forums
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +576
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 10, 2014, 03:15:18 pm »
+2

So, when are we explaining all the Possession edge cases? ;)
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 10, 2014, 03:15:45 pm »

This is quite possibly the best thread this forum has had in a while.  You can expect some conflicting advice, but that's part of Dominion... the same advice is not always applicable to all situations.

Ozle is... more like the "class clown" than a troll.  Trolls intend to infuriate.  Ozle intends only to be silly, which is infinitely more interesting and useful than trolling.

That said, when Ozle writes something that seems to have no jokes in it at any point... you know shit just got real.

The ones that don't appear to have any jokes in them...... They are the ones with the really subtle jokes...

Someone has to make  the attempt at light relief to water down the über nerds at times! Plus at times the conversations on here are so high level that it can make some readers feel stupid, I give them the output of 'well at least I'm smarter than Ozle'

Haha well thanks for that then Ozle!

EDIT: Possession edge cases?  Also, my friend doesn't believe that emptying the supply in 4 turns is legit, lol.  Can anyone give me anything to prove that its true?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2014, 03:19:07 pm »

EDIT: Possession edge cases?  Also, my friend doesn't believe that emptying the supply in 4 turns is legit, lol.  Can anyone give me anything to prove that its true?

Just tell him to work through CC's solution by hand.  I haven't done so, but I'm inclined to believe it.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2014, 03:20:23 pm »

Possession is a card from the Alchemy expansion, and it's the card that causes the most rules questions as well as being an exception to almost all rules.

When the 4-turn thing was first posted, my wife and I went through step by step and actually played out the solution given. We found a minor mistake, which I reported, and the author updated/corrected it. I didn't do it again since then, but I'm sure there's other people that have carefully gone through it.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2014, 03:21:16 pm »

Just tell him to work through CC's solution by hand.  I haven't done so, but I'm inclined to believe it.

I am too.  My friend is going through the cards one by one and reading their descriptions haha.

What 4 turn thing?  Sorry for not knowing all these terms :)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 10, 2014, 03:23:36 pm »

I am too.  My friend is going through the cards one by one and reading their descriptions haha.

What 4 turn thing?  Sorry for not knowing all these terms :)

By "the 4 turn thing" I meant the thing you are talking about; the emptying the supply in 4 turns.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2014, 03:25:21 pm »

I agree with Kirian that "troll" is not a word I would have used to describe Ozle. Although I'm seriously re-thinking that since he just made what I assume is a Three Dead Trolls in a Baggie reference:

If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it.

EDIT: Ah, looks like that itself is a reference to another work. So, nevermind.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 03:58:22 pm by LastFootnote »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 10, 2014, 03:27:05 pm »
+2

Only most?
Im wounded Mr Footnote! Wounded!

That's MISTER Mr Footnote to you!

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 10, 2014, 03:49:22 pm »

Emptying the supply in 4 turns requires perfect shuffle luck. That is, you can't do it every game. The thread shows that it's possible IF you have the right kingdom cards and IF everything goes perfectly. It was a solution to a puzzle.

Do not take it as strategy advice.

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 10, 2014, 03:51:04 pm »

Emptying the supply in 4 turns requires perfect shuffle luck. That is, you can't do it every game. The thread shows that it's possible IF you have the right kingdom cards and IF everything goes perfectly. It was a solution to a puzzle.

I figured as much, lol.  Definitely did not read that thinking it was absolutely 100% possible every time.  That'd just be broken.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 10, 2014, 03:51:24 pm »

To say "you can't do it every game" implies that it can happen from time to time. I don't know if it's ever been calculated, but I'm pretty sure the odds of the shuffling coming up the way you need are so small as to be negligible.

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 10, 2014, 05:56:14 pm »

Since I'll be getting Intrigue soon does anyone have any Intrigue related tips?

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 10, 2014, 06:10:53 pm »
+1

Don't buy Saboteur.*

*Except in extremely rare circumstances which are too complicated to describe simply.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 10, 2014, 06:17:21 pm »

Don't buy Saboteur.*

*Except in extremely rare circumstances which are too complicated to describe simply.

Lol any other tips?

Zappie

• Thief
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 10, 2014, 06:25:34 pm »

make your choices wisely*

*intrigue is choice themed expansion

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 10, 2014, 06:33:06 pm »

So there's no general tips like taking certain cards over others like in the base game?  Or are those just found on the wiki/ card description page on dominionstrategy?

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 10, 2014, 06:37:00 pm »
+1

Check out Qvist's rankings of cards.  It's a community tier list of cards based on this forums collective knowledge.  Obviously everything isn't right but there's a lot of good stuff in there.  They are sorted by card cost.  I've linked Qvist's profile.  The links for the various pages are in his signature. 

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?action=profile;u=477

Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 10, 2014, 06:37:16 pm »
+5

Don't buy Saboteur.*

Lol any other tips?

Don't buy Scout?

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 10, 2014, 06:40:29 pm »

So there's no general tips like taking certain cards over others like in the base game?  Or are those just found on the wiki/ card description page on dominionstrategy?

Really it's that the same general tips apply, for the most part. For instance, the principle of "don't buy villages if you don't expect to frequently have multiple terminals in your hand in one turn that you want to play" applies just as well when the villages are called Shanty Town and Mining Village as it does when they're called Village and Festival.

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 10, 2014, 06:59:18 pm »

Fair enough.  When I used my GoCoins on Intrigue Complete it kept displaying the "waiting" circle and then it'd go back to the store and show it as not purchased, but it shows up in my adventures now and my "My Cards" section.  Did the transaction go through?  It seems it did.  Also, it's not just Intrigue, it's Intrigue "Peasants and Aristocrats" and something else.  Lol why did they do it that way?

Really it's that the same general tips apply, for the most part. For instance, the principle of "don't buy villages if you don't expect to frequently have multiple terminals in your hand in one turn that you want to play" applies just as well when the villages are called Shanty Town and Mining Village as it does when they're called Village and Festival.

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 10, 2014, 07:13:59 pm »

Fair enough.  When I used my GoCoins on Intrigue Complete it kept displaying the "waiting" circle and then it'd go back to the store and show it as not purchased, but it shows up in my adventures now and my "My Cards" section.  Did the transaction go through?  It seems it did.  Also, it's not just Intrigue, it's Intrigue "Peasants and Aristocrats" and something else.  Lol why did they do it that way?
They've split up Intrigue (and all other large expansions) into 2 (or 3) smaller sets. Make sure you have Intrigue completely, and not just half of it.

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 10, 2014, 07:15:09 pm »

They've split up Intrigue (and all other large expansions) into 2 (or 3) smaller sets. Make sure you have Intrigue completely, and not just half of it.

What would I have if I had the whole thing?  Underlings and Peasants and Aristocrats right?

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #124 on: January 10, 2014, 07:22:08 pm »
+2

In general, if you go into a Dominion game with a predetermined mindset like "Silver and Gold is the key to victory", or "Militia is a strong attack", or even "You should buy Provinces to win the game", you will lose terribly when those maxims no longer hold true.  Some cards are better than others more often, but in general getting better at Dominion (and having fun at it!) is recognizing which cards are best in each particular situation.  This is something you can't possibly memorize, just something you learn by playing a bunch.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Page created in 2.502 seconds with 20 queries.