Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Simple Rules Questions  (Read 66188 times)

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
Re: Simple Rules Questions
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2016, 11:07:25 am »

Two questions:
1) What happens if I play BoM or Overlord as encampment?
2) What happens if I play Procession on encampment?
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2016, 11:26:03 am »
+3

Two questions:

1) Exactly the same thing as if you play a regular Encampment... you get +2 cards, +2 actions, then you may reveal a Gold or Plunder from your hand. If you do, nothing else happens, BoM-as-Encampment will be cleaned up like normal and become a BoM again when discarded. If you do not, then you will set it aside (where it immediately becomes a BoM again), and still return it (the BoM) to the supply (onto the BoM pile).

2) If you didn't reveal a Gold or Plunder either of the 2 times you played it, then it will get set aside and thus fail to trash due to lose-track. You'll still get an action card costing more, because that's not dependent upon trashing.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2016, 11:42:49 am »

Two questions:

1) Exactly the same thing as if you play a regular Encampment... you get +2 cards, +2 actions, then you may reveal a Gold or Plunder from your hand. If you do, nothing else happens, BoM-as-Encampment will be cleaned up like normal and become a BoM again when discarded. If you do not, then you will set it aside (where it immediately becomes a BoM again), and still return it (the BoM) to the supply (onto the BoM pile).

2) If you didn't reveal a Gold or Plunder either of the 2 times you played it, then it will get set aside and thus fail to trash due to lose-track. You'll still get an action card costing more, because that's not dependent upon trashing.
Okay, that's what I thought, just wanted to make sure.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2016, 12:00:34 pm »

Two questions:

I don't think BoM gets returned to the Supply. When it's set aside it stops being an Encampment and thus stops returning itself to the Supply. It just stays set aside.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10719
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2016, 12:03:19 pm »
+1

Two questions:

I don't think BoM gets returned to the Supply. When it's set aside it stops being an Encampment and thus stops returning itself to the Supply. It just stays set aside.

No, it gets returned. Just because it stops being Encampment, it doesn't stop instructions from resolving. If you Procession a Band of Misfits as a Fishing Village, you still get the + 2Actions and +$2 at the start of your next turn. It doesn't stop happening just because the "Fishing Village" turned back into a Band of Misfits.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1161
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2016, 12:19:05 pm »

Two questions:

I thought you needed to reveal the Gold/Plunder on the first play to prevent the set-aside clause.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2016, 12:32:03 pm »
+1

Two questions:

I thought you needed to reveal the Gold/Plunder on the first play to prevent the set-aside clause.

You need to reveal on both plays. If you don't reveal on either of them, it sets itself aside.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2016, 12:33:57 pm »
+1

Two questions:

No, it gets returned. Just because it stops being Encampment, it doesn't stop instructions from resolving. If you Procession a Band of Misfits as a Fishing Village, you still get the + 2Actions and +$2 at the start of your next turn. It doesn't stop happening just because the "Fishing Village" turned back into a Band of Misfits.

Right, the "return this to the supply" instruction was already given. That instruction still needs to be followed. Interestingly, if it said "return this to the Encampment pile; it would cause weirder issues.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2016, 01:20:50 pm »
+2

Two questions:

Right, the "return this to the supply" instruction was already given. That instruction still needs to be followed. Interestingly, if it said "return this to the Encampment pile; it would cause weirder issues.

For a while during development, Encampment didn't get set aside, but rather was returned to the Supply immediately. This meant that Band of Misfits or Overlord did get put back on top of the Encampment/Plunder pile. I was glad when that changed.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2016, 03:11:38 pm »
+1

Two questions:

For a while during development, Encampment didn't get set aside, but rather was returned to the Supply immediately. This meant that Band of Misfits or Overlord did get put back on top of the Encampment/Plunder pile. I was glad when that changed.

I assume the main reason it waits though is to allow you to buy a Plunder that turn?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2016, 03:24:41 pm »

I assume the main reason it waits though is to allow you to buy a Plunder that turn?

I think so. I'm not sure what Donald's primary motivation was, but making it easier to reach Plunder was definitely a key issue, and making it so you couldn't buy back an Encampment you played that turn was also nice.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25650
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2016, 03:41:23 pm »
+4

The main reasons were to help you track your actions, and get rid of the Band of Misfits issue.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2016, 07:06:21 pm »

If you get an Encampment from the Black Market, then when you play it and fail to reveal a Gold or Plunder you'd still set it aside, right? Then what? There's no pile to return it to but it's not in play so does it still get discarded during clean-up?

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2016, 07:34:25 pm »
+4

If you get an Encampment from the Black Market, then when you play it and fail to reveal a Gold or Plunder you'd still set it aside, right? Then what? There's no pile to return it to but it's not in play so does it still get discarded during clean-up?
No, it gets set aside and then stays set aside. That doesn't stop it from being "yours" so it would count for e.g. Gardens at game end.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2016, 09:21:38 pm »
+1

No, it gets set aside and then stays set aside. That doesn't stop it from being "yours" so it would count for e.g. Gardens at game end.
Neat! So it would just kind of Island itself away.

schoeggu

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2016, 09:35:43 pm »

Seaway on Gladiator, does the +Buy also apply for the Fortune?
I think yes, but I'm not sure.

Seaway Text:
Gain an Action card costing up to 4.
Move your +1 Buy token to its pile (when you play a card from that pile, you first get +1 Buy).

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2016, 06:45:11 am »

Yes. Same for Pathfinding/Training/Lost Arts (you can put the token on the pile because it is an action pile, as determined by the randomizer), as well as Catapult/Rocks.

schoeggu

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2016, 07:23:37 am »

So I can use Seaway on Small Castle or Opulent Castle (with cost reduction), but not Pathfinding/Training/Lost Arts, as they require an action pile?

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2016, 07:29:45 am »

Two questions:

That's hilarious. I am sad to have seen this gone. :D

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2016, 07:30:10 am »

So I can use Seaway on Small Castle or Opulent Castle (with cost reduction), but not Pathfinding/Training/Lost Arts, as they require an action pile?
Yes. Although good luck playing most of them.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2016, 07:08:37 am »

Here is a rules question on reddit about KC-Archive from /u/Zungryware:

So I have 5 cards left in my deck, empty discard, and I play King's Court on an Archive. This would mean that the first Archive would have 3 cards under it, and would be discarded in 2 turns, the second would have 2 cards under it and be discarded next turn, and the third would have no cards under it and be discarded this turn. If all three are discarded at different turns, how would that work with King's Court? With this situation, do King's Court and Archive get discarded at the same time always?

So people are arguing whether you KC should be discarded after second turn where it ceases to do anything or whether it stays out until the first Archive is done doing Archive stuff. Which one is right?
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2016, 11:04:02 am »
+1

Here is a rules question on reddit about KC-Archive from /u/Zungryware:

So I have 5 cards left in my deck, empty discard, and I play King's Court on an Archive. This would mean that the first Archive would have 3 cards under it, and would be discarded in 2 turns, the second would have 2 cards under it and be discarded next turn, and the third would have no cards under it and be discarded this turn. If all three are discarded at different turns, how would that work with King's Court? With this situation, do King's Court and Archive get discarded at the same time always?

So people are arguing whether you KC should be discarded after second turn where it ceases to do anything or whether it stays out until the first Archive is done doing Archive stuff. Which one is right?

The KC stays as long as the Archive stays. Donald has made a ruling about this here, regarding TR + Outpost.

He calls it a tentative ruling, but as far as I know, it still stands. We got deep into Durations in this thread, where Donald also participated, and the ruling mentioned above was brought up. We concluded that it made the most sense. Donald didn't comment either way on that particular ruling, so it seems that it stands.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2016, 04:41:01 pm »
+4

The KC stays as long as the Archive stays. Donald has made a ruling about this here, regarding TR + Outpost.

He calls it a tentative ruling, but as far as I know, it still stands. We got deep into Durations in this thread, where Donald also participated, and the ruling mentioned above was brought up. We concluded that it made the most sense. Donald didn't comment either way on that particular ruling, so it seems that it stands.
My ruling is that Thrones on Durations stay out until the Duration goes away. This applies even in cases where the Duration doesn't do two more things, e.g. Throne on Gear when you only set aside cards once.

Dominionaer

• Golem
  • Respect: +66
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2016, 05:56:53 am »

My ruling is that Thrones on Durations stay out until the Duration goes away. This applies even in cases where the Duration doesn't do two more things, e.g. Throne on Gear when you only set aside cards once.

Does this change Throne Room -  Tactician?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2016, 11:20:41 am »
+2

Does this change Throne Room -  Tactician?

Yes, it changes how long the Throne Room stays in play when you use it to play Tactician. It doesn't change the fact that you still only get the Duration bonus once.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 11:22:03 am by LastFootnote »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 21 queries.