Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 188  All

Author Topic: RMM16: Dice Mafia (Town wins!)  (Read 545765 times)

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
RMM16: Dice Mafia (Town wins!)
« on: May 23, 2014, 09:53:25 am »

Dice Mafia

Player List

1. ashersky: Vanilla Townie - lynched Day 4
2. chairs: Town Manipulator - lynched Day 3
3. yuma/2.71828.....: Town Thief - lynched Day 2
4. mail-mi/Archetype: Mafia Tactician - lynched Day 6
5. BoxOfDog: Vanilla Townie - killed Night 1
6. Voltaire: Mafia Roleblocker - lynched Day 1
7. faust: Town Universal Backup - killed Night 4
8. XerxesPraelor: Town Mentalist Advisor - killed Night 2
9. Witherweaver: Town 3-Shot Saboteur - killed Night 5
10. Beyond Awesome: Town Arms Inspector
11. Ichimaru Gin: Town Priest - killed Night 3
12. liopoil: Mafia Noble Brigand - lynched Day 5
13. Hydrad: Town Tinkerer
14. pingpongsam: Town Swindler

co-mod: EFHW

Day 1
Day 2
Day 3
Day 4
Day 5

f.ds Mafia Ruleset (changes in red)

The Golden Rule:

Please remember that this is a game and your main objective is to have fun!  Be considerate of each other, don’t get personal, and enjoy the game.

Please read The Civility Pledge before signing up for this game.  If you have not /pledged there, you cannot play here.

Excessive personal attacks or uncivil behavior may be dealt with by modifiers or modkills.

General Gameplay and Etiquette:

1. You may not quote private Moderator-supplied information (either real or fabricated) of any kind.  Paraphrasing (for role claims, etc.) is acceptable.
2. Personal communication outside of the forum postings is NOT ALLOWED unless your Role PM specifically allows it.
3. All mod communication after the initial role PMs is to be conducted in your Personal/Mafia QT. If you have a role with a Night action, your choices are due by the posted deadline (generally 48 hours from Night start during the first few Nights; later Nights may have shorter deadlines).  If we do not receive your choice by the posted deadline you will forfeit your actions.  In case of multiple submissions, the last valid one before the deadline will be used.  Generally, one team member may submit the Night Actions for all team members.
4. Roles with Night actions will not be able to submit an action on Night 0 (i.e. during the confirmation stage), unless your Role PM specifically allows it.
5. Any player with a Night action may instead submit “No Action" to let the Mods know that you do not want to perform your expected action that Night phase, unless your Action is compulsory.
6. As a general rule you should aim for one post every 24 hours, minimum, to keep the game moving.

Voting, Deadlines, and Player Death:

1. A simple majority (rounded up) of all living members must agree on one person for a lynch to occur prior to deadline. If no player has been lynched by the deadline, no lynch occurs.
2. Once you have reached a simple majority no further unvoting will change someone’s fate.  Further votes will also be ignored.
3. Once a player is lynched the game enters twilight until I post a death scene; all players including the one who was lynched may continue to post during twilight.
4. Please submit votes as: Vote: PlayerName.  Votes will NOT be counted if they are not bold or do not follow this syntax!  Obvious abbreviations or nicknames will be counted so long as they are unambiguous.
5. Please submit vote revocations as either Unvote: PlayerName or Unvote. Unvotes are not necessary before changing votes.
6. You may Vote: No Lynch - a simple majority of these vote types are required to send the game to Night phase without a lynch. If no lynch occurs, the Mafia must attempt a kill on the following night.
7. Once you are killed (either via lynch or night kill) you may no longer post in the game or in shared Quicktopics, except for twilight.  This means that you do not even get a “Bah” post.  The dead in this game are silent, but will be invited to the Spectator Quicktopic.
8. Do not edit or delete posts.  We don't want some players having more information than others.  If you want to clarify posts, feel free to double post.
9. Deadlines: This game will have 10-day Days and 48-hour Nights.

Miscellaneous/Mechanics:

1. Bold, blue text is reserved for the Mod.  No invisible/small text is allowed, nor is cryptography.
2. If you have an issue/problem with the game, please inform the Mods privately.  Do not post issues/complaints in the game thread. This includes question about rules etc. These will only be addressed if asked in your Personal or Mafia QT. If I deem it appropriate, I will make an in-thread announcement to clarify.
3. The Mods may make mistakes - please point out any mistakes gently.  Mistakes will be corrected where possible, but sometimes mistakes are made that cannot be reversed.  These will stand as final to be commiserated over after the game. All mod vote counts are by definition correct. A lynch will either go through or not go through based entirely on the last mod vote count and votes since. We will of course strive for accuracy. If you spot an error, please point it out. I will acknowledge the error in the post in question and also post a new vote count.
4. Please bold all requests to the Mods so that they don’t get missed.
5. Prods of missing players will be issued automatically on request after 24 hours of no activity.  A prodded player has 48 hours to respond or risks replacement.  A player who has been prodded 3 times is subject to replacement without further notice.
6. Rule violations will be dealt with according to their severity, up to and including a Modkill and/or further penalties to the team of the player in question.
7. If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 48-hour period please post a notice to that effect in the thread.  Treat this game as a commitment.  Be considerate – don’t leave us hanging.

Helpful Links:

--Main Wiki Page

--Newbie Guide

--Frequently Asked Questions

--Commonly Used Abbreviations

--Mafia Theory

TO CLARIFY, I AM NOT A MODERATOR OF F.DS IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM.  IN THE CONTEXT OF THIS GAME, I AM MODERATING THAT THE RULES ARE FOLLOWED AND HIDDEN ACTIONS ARE COMPLETED PROPERLY.

GAME-SPECIFIC INFORMATION LISTED IN NEXT POST
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 02:13:32 am by Jimmmmm »

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
Re: Dice Mafia (sign-ups open)
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 09:53:36 am »

Game-Specific Rules
(some changes from RMM9 in red)

Personal QTs
Each of you has been assigned a personal QT that will be used for all private communication with the Mods. These are separate from the shared Mafia QT, and will be unlocked at all times.

All private actions are to be submitted by QT. Please do not PM me; if you do, I will respond by QT if at all. I will be checking the QTs whenever I check the forums, and all players should do the same.

Combat
Each Day the Town will be confronted with a new Monster. In order to fight these Monsters, each player will begin the game with some number of dice in their supply. By default, dice in the game are normal, fair, 12-sided dice.

The Monsters are sent by the Mafia, and as such, Mafia-aligned players will have some level of control over them.

Each Monster will have different rules for how to defeat it, which will include a target that must be reached.

Once per Day, each player may roll any number of dice from their supply, by typing Roll: x in your personal QT, where x is the number of dice you wish to roll. You cannot roll more dice than you have.

If you roll 1 die, you may either play it by typing Play: y in the game thread, where y is the result of the roll, or discard it by doing nothing. Played dice will count towards the target as specified by the particular Monster. Unless stated otherwise by the rules for a particular monster, playing a die contributes an amount equal to the result of the roll. Discarded dice are gone from the game.

If you roll 2 or more dice, you must play one. Failure to do so will have one randomly selected to be played for you.

If you roll 2 or more dice, you may also choose to store a die that you did not play, by posting Store: y in your personal QT. When you store a die, you immediately discard a die from your supply if possible.

Instead of rolling dice from your supply, you may play a stored die, simply by posting Play: y in the game thread, where y is a value of die in your store. If you do so, a die will be discarded from your supply if possible.

There may also be other uses for your stored dice.

Updates of the number of dice in your supply and the values of stored dice will be provided as necessary in your personal QT.

After rolling, if you wish to or must play a die, you must do so as soon as possible. Once you have seen the result, please play the die you wish to play in your very next post. You may not disclose the result of your roll prior to playing the die. Failing to adhere to this may result in the die being discarded, or a random die being played, at my discretion.

It is imperative that you do not, either deliberately or accidentally, play a value that you have not rolled. Doing so accidentally may result in a penalty for yourself and/or your team, at my discretion. Repeated offenses, or any attempt to game the system by attempting to play a value you have not rolled will be dealt with severely.

The only part of the combat process which takes place in the main thread is the playing part. All rolling, storing and discarding takes place in your personal QTs.

The Mods will update the current total score of the played dice after each action which alters the current total. If multiple changes to the total occur between updates, all changes will be listed.

When a player is lynched or the deadline is reached, any players who have rolled 2 or more dice but not played any will have a random die of theirs played. If the Total is then equal to or greater than the Target, the monster is defeated. Either way, any dice that were played are discarded.

Rewards and Threats
When a Monster is defeated, the Town will be rewarded. Failing to defeat a Monster will result in a penalty for the Town.

There is a pool of rewards and a pool of threats available. At the end of the Day, depending on the result of the combat, a reward or threat will be randomly selected. The name of the reward or threat will be announced. Further details may or may not be announced.

Rewards are designed to be good for Town and/or bad for Mafia. Threats are designed to be bad for Town and/or good for Mafia.

Roles
At least one player has a role related to the dice and/or fighting the Monsters. At least one player does not. If you do not have a specific role, do not fear! There is still plenty for you to do. There may or may not be traditional Mafia roles.

Unless stated otherwise, all roles and parts of roles are assigned completely randomly and independently of alignment.

Delays
Any Day actions which are submitted via QT may be submitted with a delay. To do so, in the same post as the submission, you may post Delay for x time. For example, Delay for 1 hour. The action will then be considered to have been submitted after the given delay. In order to avoid confusion based on different timezones, do not give a specific time for the action to be submitted, rather the amount of time to delay between the post and the action submission. I will make a small amount of effort to be online at times when I know an action is due to be submitted. Each action submitted during the Day will be resolved completely in the order they were submitted, taking delay into account. In the extremely unlikely event of identical times, the actions which were submitted simultaneously will be resolved in a random order.

Delayed actions may be changed or cancelled at any time prior to the action submission.

Evening
48 hours prior to deadline, the game enters the Evening phase. Unless specifically stated otherwise, no Day actions can be submitted during the Evening. Rolling dice cannot be done during the Evening, however playing and storing dice can.

Impossible Investigations
It is never possible for a Town-aligned player to make any of the following investigations:
  • Rolecopping.
  • Tracking or Watching.
  • Investigating the number of dice in another player’s supply, another player’s stored dice, or what another player has discarded.

Flavour
The flavour in the game is unimportant for actually playing the game. You can safely ignore all italicised text from me.

Alignments
Exactly three players are Mafia-aligned. Everyone else is Town-aligned.

Miscellaneous
"xdy", where x and y are numbers, means "the sum of the results of rolling a normal y-sided die x times". So, for example, 1d6 means a random number from 1 to 6, it does NOT mean a 6-sided die.

If you are unable to immediately play a die when necessary because you have access to your QT but not the game thread, instead play your die in your QT, and I will announce that you have played it as if you played it in the game thread.

Summary
Each Day, the Town works together to fight a Monster. Each player has dice, and, once per Day, may roll any number of their dice, and then play one, which will score a certain amount depending on the Monster. At the end of the Day, if the total score of the played dice is at least a given target, the Town gets a reward. Otherwise, the Town gets a penalty.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 02:53:44 pm by Jimmmmm »

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 09:53:44 am »

MONSTERS

WITCH - When a die is played (besides the first die played for the Day), it only counts if it has opposite parity (odd/even) to the previous die played.

DRAGON - When a die of value n is played, it only counts if a die of value n-1 has previously been played.

OGRE - Only 1s and 2s count.

GOBLIN - Even numbers count as negative.

TROLL - The value of all played dice is squared.

ORC - Only the first instance of each value played counts.

The attacking Monster, as well as the target to beat it, will be announced at the beginning of each Day.

VT PM

flavour

Welcome Player to Dice Mafia. You have no special role.

You are Town-aligned. You win when the Mafia has been eliminated and at least one Town player is alive.

Personal QT: link

Mafia Win Condition

You are Mafia-aligned, along with your partners, Player1 and Player2. Each Night, in addition to any other actions you may have, one of you and your partners may submit your factional kill in your Mafia QT. You win when the Mafia controls half the Town, or nothing can stop this from occurring, and at least one Mafia is alive.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 02:50:12 pm by Jimmmmm »

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 09:57:47 am »

/in

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 06:04:36 pm »

What is "dice" mafia? This is not a regular numeral game?
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 06:44:28 pm »

What is "dice" mafia? This is not a regular numeral game?

RMM16.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 08:08:52 pm »

/confirmin
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 09:03:04 pm »

horray!

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 09:29:56 pm »

PLEASE DON'T START THIS TIL AFTER JUNE 16th PLEASE!
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 04:48:12 am »

What is "dice" mafia?

Mafia... with dice!

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
Re: RMM16 - Dice Mafia (sign-ups open)
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2014, 05:04:51 am »

Confirm.

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 12:58:28 pm »

confiming my /in but please don't start it for a few days at least :)

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 01:03:21 pm »

If you can wait to start this until X-men ends, that would be a good amount of time to leave.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2014, 09:50:36 pm »

/in

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2014, 01:46:54 am »

I'll /in

but someone's going to have to teach me how to roll dice.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2014, 04:40:11 am »

I'll /in

but someone's going to have to teach me how to roll dice.

Full rules for that will be posted well before the game starts.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2014, 12:40:07 pm »

/in assuming the game doesn't start at least until this friday forum time. I'm going to have more time this summer so I'm gonna play a mafia game again. It's been 3 months or something :P. I remember being very intrigued with the first dice game, so I'll play this one.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2014, 06:26:46 pm »

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2014, 10:49:17 pm »

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2014, 05:00:14 pm »

welp I need a new game. /in
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2014, 05:04:46 pm »

That doesn't have anything to do with that being the date of my Eagle Court of Honor, does it?
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2014, 03:06:02 am »

Is this going to start soon? If it's not, I may have to /out.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2014, 05:40:02 am »

I think it's starting on the 17th (that's what I hope, at least).

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2014, 10:49:06 am »

I NEED DIS

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2014, 10:55:51 am »

You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 188  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 19 queries.