Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 55  All

Author Topic: Mafia XXXIV: The Game of Thrones Mafia! (Day 2!!)  (Read 118538 times)

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XXXIV: The Game of Thrones Mafia! (Day 2!!)
« Reply #825 on: November 12, 2013, 03:16:04 pm »

I also think everyone must be ignoring my second re-read post.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: November 12, 2013, 03:16:17 pm »

By Eevee's case, I mean that on day 1 :

You voted against faust for his theory talk, which you saw as possibly rolefishing. You then unvoted when you realized he had the same plan in another game, but still expressed suspicion on faust. Yuma called you out on that, and you revoted for faust.

This is very scummy in that it seems you care way too much about what town thinks of you. The way Eevee said it, you're trying to please the crowd, which I agreed/agree with. He also pointed out that you had posts where you were asking for approval for votes : this is the mail-mi thing you're referring to.

He then had this post, which I'm including because you omitted it last time you adressed this :

In a stretch of boredom I actually went ahead and read the first 20 posts of Walrus in MC. He was definitely very jokey like he was here (I've never agreed with finding smileys or humor scummy, I recall that being at least a part of someone's reason for voting for him here though), but I don't see any of the hesitation he is showing here. Just votes with reasons provided, no asking for permissions of validations. I'm happy with my Walrus-vote.

Now his case is :
1) You are trying to please the crowd
2) This is not how you've played as town

This is, I think, a pretty strong case. Not amazing, but strong.

Now what I mean when I say you've changed your attitude is not only that you posted less. It's that you posted less content, and when you did you were very careful not to do these things. You might see this as "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario, and that's fair, but what I'm saying is that the fact that you've stopped doing these things Eevee was talking about does not mean his case in invalid.

On day 2, the only thing you've done is continuing your scum read on Voltaire and calling EFHW/Me town vs town. Oh, and asking for Eevee to clarify his case, then suspecting him for not doing so (this is fair).

I feel like we have had a really good day1.

I think we've had the sort of D1 that will lead to a great D2 but high odds for a crappy lynch D1.

This was the quote that stuck out most in my mind from the conclusion of D1. I'll go back and reread more carefully later after work, but I'm gonna vote: Voltaire initially as well.

Once she turned out JK, you went all "I told you so"

No counterclaim. See I thought she seemed towny.
Alright, I'm back with a serious post before boring work.

So the last thing I really mentioned is that I found EFHW vs. teproc to be town vs. town. Apparently I was half right about that at least.

I don't think this case is foolproof in any way. I just think you're one of the most likely to be scum, partly by POE, partly because of Eevee's case, partly because you've been lurking and tunneling on Voltaire day 2, while staying safely out of the EFHW discussion (you didnd't vote for her, but you didn't defend here either, which is a nice place for scum to be).

PPE : 4 unread replies
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: November 12, 2013, 03:17:50 pm »

Teproc makes the sense! Teproc makes the sense.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: November 12, 2013, 03:20:41 pm »

Ok, seriously, would scum be THAT obvious about buddying me ? This is the 4th time now, after he's been called out for doing that specifically. Sure, he might do this precisely to get me to this conclusion, but it' hasn't been working so far on most of you, so I don't think that's it.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: November 12, 2013, 03:24:07 pm »

Theoretical mail-mi teams, btw:

Eevee: possible but unlikely. Eevee defends mail-mi in a roundabout way at times, but also would be trying to get me lynched for not suspecting his partner...that would be convoluted but possible, I suppose.

yuma: Totally possible. Don't think there's been any interaction.

Walrus: Unlikely, mail-mi was all over Walrus, right? On the L-1 wagon? *checks* Yes, he was.

So that's two unlikely and one plausible. I'm still fine not voting for mail-mi today.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: November 12, 2013, 03:26:27 pm »

I don't see much of a reason not to do this at this point, since EFHW is he only person not voting for either Voltaire or Walrus (yuma isn't either, but I think his position is clear). vote: Walrus

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: November 12, 2013, 03:27:02 pm »

Timeline:

Voltaire states some (controversial to some) town reads, which people agree is the last thing mafia wants to do
Voltaire identifies the three likeliest candidates to contain the two mafia
All those candidates make big cases on Voltaire and attack his reasoning

I just can't see this as anything but me correctly pigeonholing mafia from where I'm sitting. Because if I'm mistaken town, why go after me like this?

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: November 12, 2013, 03:27:28 pm »

In case it wasn't clear : this is L-1, don't hammer without announcing intent and everything.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: November 12, 2013, 03:28:34 pm »

We definitely need to give EFHW time to re-read Walrus and for me to ask any questions she might have of me, if she still wants to vote me. Same for Walrus, actually.

Not that you did anything wrong, Teproc, but just in case someone wants to switch wagons. Stating the obvious and all that.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: November 12, 2013, 03:32:26 pm »

Ok, seriously, would scum be THAT obvious about buddying me ? This is the 4th time now, after he's been called out for doing that specifically. Sure, he might do this precisely to get me to this conclusion, but it' hasn't been working so far on most of you, so I don't think that's it.

In all seriousness, this is what I mean when I say if Teproc is scum, he seems to be hurting his own wincon, so I don't want to lynch him. Because he's taking the words right out of my mouth, thinking like me, etc. So assuming I am not the worst town player in the universe (and I do not think that I am), we seem to be working towards the same goal. This is why I am a-ok assuming Teproc as town for now.

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: November 12, 2013, 03:35:10 pm »

I am not behind a Walrus lynch today.  I read Teproc's post I just don't think there is anything there.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: November 12, 2013, 03:36:33 pm »

I am not behind a Walrus lynch today.  I read Teproc's post I just don't think there is anything there.

Eevee or yuma?

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: November 12, 2013, 03:52:12 pm »

I'm also starting to lean away from the Voltaire lynch.  He has done some scummy things, especially Day 1, but this level of high energy would be very hard for scum to maintain.  We still have 28 hours, let's not rush into anything.

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: November 12, 2013, 03:54:26 pm »

But Voltaire, can you say again why you thought Robz was so scummy?  Your sticking like glue to him was definitely one of the scummier things about Day 1.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: November 12, 2013, 03:59:07 pm »

I was interrupted during my read of walrus... so I'll start continuing that and then catch up on the posts that have come in... actually reverse that order.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #840 on: November 12, 2013, 04:00:49 pm »

Yuma, your most recent post in reply to Teproc basically says you started with a scum read on me, so you find me scummy. Is there actually anything I can reply to there, or is your case just confirmation bias?

I hope it isn't confirmation bias. I really do. I try to eliminate that as much as I can. but it is there and I have to try and deal with it. So I am sure there might be something you can say, but I honestly have no idea what it would be for me to start thinking you are more likely to be town...

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: November 12, 2013, 04:06:26 pm »

I would like to rule out Teproc as a lynch for today, b/c, as Voltaire pointed out more than once, he has done several pro-town things that would be against the scum wincon.  But he has recently made two scummy votes - the one on me and now a weak case and vote on Walrus.  I'm really having trouble understanding Teproc's vote on Walrus.  I know I looked scummy, but I don't think he does.

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: November 12, 2013, 04:08:34 pm »

and Teproc put Walrus at L-1 unnecessarily, in derphammer territory.  If yuma's stated intent to vote works for the Voltaire vote, why not do the same with this vote on Walrus?

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: November 12, 2013, 04:08:56 pm »

But Voltaire, can you say again why you thought Robz was so scummy?  Your sticking like glue to him was definitely one of the scummier things about Day 1.

So a couple ways to answer this:

1. Obviously it looks terrible in retrospect. And I agree it was terrible, and mea culpa, and all that. I don't think I really said this in-thread because saying it isn't terribly helpful.
2. I found the case on Robz to be better than the other cases presented. So there was a wagon on Walrus, which I still find compelling (obviously) and found good at the time (you'll note I also resisted it, I maintain there is nothing scummy about shifting reads). There was a wagon on chairs, which I think I liked at the time (god I just re-read the thread...it looked good on a re-read, actually) but then chairs did the /out and I fundamentally didn't feel comfortable lynching someone for playing from their phone, which is all a chairs lynch would have been. (Obviously there's Teproc's play today but I'm talking about D1 here). So then there was a case on you, which I also liked at the time. Yuma's reasons, and all that, which I enjoy how yuma is now pretending were terrible and disowning and trying to distance himself from...seriously! I myself was one of the wagons...I think that's all of them. Other than faust himself, who I helped quickhammer.
3. So that's everyone else. Why Robz? Because in a game with few reads, a Robz vote is not a bad place to be was my thinking. And because I found "I don't have to do anything and my wagon will go away" to be a manifestly easy statement for scum or town to make, and I really didn't see Robz playing, and my overarching D1 philosophy is that scum will tend to be in the lurkers (not necessarily literally the lurkiest) and I found all of this to be present in Robz to some degree. And I never got concerned about who was voting with me, so I kept staying.
4. I also thought his "I refuse to claim" likely to be a scum gambit.

So that's a lot of words. Short version: it was clearly bad now, at the time I thought it fine, looking back it wasn't my finest moment.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: November 12, 2013, 04:09:15 pm »

Ok...

42 posts. obviously on the lower end of things. So lurking is an issue, but not so egregiously more so than mail-mi or eevee or chairs before teproc subbed in.

For reference I am going to count all the posts here that have some sort of jokiness to them (as it appears that this was something brought up about him) one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine... this is starting to get taxing. I think it would be easier to count the posts that he didn't joke in. So I'll leave that as it is and say that this argument was bad and mail-mi and I think eevee? were bad for making it.

So walrus' non-jokey stuff:

Starts with a vote on faust early for some theory stuff.

I call him out when he then unvotes and says his suspicion is still there. He then revotes.

I have said above that I found this townie... and I have to say I still do. It just doens't look like a move that scum would make.

very early on in the game he starts giving out reads coming from my experiences in my first game, this wasnt' something I did as scum and it is something hard to do as scum. Yes, walrus has had 1.5 games already as town to get his feet wet and there could be a vet whispering in his ear in the pregame, but it is still hard to pull of. He votes Robz here.

He responds to queries throughout and has queries of his own.

He then sheeps my vote on EFHW and in this post wonders if anyone would be up for a mail-mi lynch. He gets flack for this later. But how is this any different than say this question?

OK, well then. Anybody else just want to lynch yuma today?

He is then back on the Robz wagon, again to a L-1 vote. I see why he did this. It does make me raise my eyebrows a bit as I thought robz was more likely to be town there and it has been confirmed, but isnt' a big deal to me. and moved to a chairs lynch. I think it is very much worth noting that walrus never went for the faust wagon. I think newbie scum moves to the faust wagon at its height and gets on it. Walrus does the opposite here... he stays away from it. Well... maybe not. When I was newbie scum I tried to stay away from the day1 lynches and didn't get close to anyone at L-1. But walrus obviously isn't doing this as he had done it with Robz... So I think town points go to walrus for staying away from the faust wagon. although at the end (after faust's post that garnished most of our attention) he does say he is willing to vote and hammer him. So maybe that negates the town read from it

He has posted little day2. Votes on voltaire and eevee and again avoids the coming lynch of EFHW... a scum trend maybe? Ordoes scum jump on it and push it through to make sure he or a partner isn't lynched. I still lean toward walrus being town in this scenario...

So, honestly I still think walrus is town.

I would put voltaire as my prefered lynched, followed by eevee and then walrus.

I do wonder if we should start considering mail-mi and teproc more fully. EFHW how do you feel about these two?

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: November 12, 2013, 04:10:37 pm »

and Teproc put Walrus at L-1 unnecessarily, in derphammer territory.  If yuma's stated intent to vote works for the Voltaire vote, why not do the same with this vote on Walrus?

Because they're different players?

What don't you like about the Walrus case? I find it reasonable. I mean scum is playing well here, whoever they are, so I don't think we're going to find any super-slam-dunk cases.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: November 12, 2013, 04:10:49 pm »

Fine, I'll unvote. Unless mail-mi suddenly becomes a viable lynch, consider my vote to be on Walrus though.

I understand why you're not convinced EFHW. I'm mostly coming at this from a POE perspective, so I'm aware that the case against Walrus isn't incredibly strong. I'm pushing it because I believe Voltaire would be a mislynch.

Speaking of pushing on Walrus, I took a look at his voting record :
- #62/70/86 : The whole vote/unvote/vote thing with faust
- #109 : Votes Robz (3) for poor contributions and posting only when called out on lurking
- #144 : Votes EFHW (2), explicitely sheeping yuma. He goes on to explain better, stating that EFHW's posts have no content and doesn't like that she's accusing him. He also points to a EFHW/mail-mi scumteam
- #297 : Votes Robz again (L-1). Doesn't like Robz daring people to vote for him and finds Robz's vote on chairs "interesting"
- #329 : Votes chairs (3), for empty posts and calls his "lynch mafia not scum" a platitude (it was about voting for faust rather than Robz)
- #473 : Votes Voltaire (L-1) : Finds him uncharacteristically unhelpful

Day 2

- #516 : Votes Voltaire (2), for reasons I don't entirely understand (beside the day 1 thing) :

I think we've had the sort of D1 that will lead to a great D2 but high odds for a crappy lynch D1.

This was the quote that stuck out most in my mind from the conclusion of D1. I'll go back and reread more carefully later after work, but I'm gonna vote: Voltaire initially as well.

- #748 : Votes Eevee (2). No reasoning given, so I guess he was sheeping EFHW (now IC) ?
- #809 : Votes Voltaire (L-1) : No reasoning, so presumably the same reasons as before + yuma's case ?

That's three L-1 votes, two of them on Voltaire. The first one I find quite weak, the second one I can see a little more.
Mostly, there's a lot of sheeping there.

PPE : 8 unread posts.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: November 12, 2013, 04:12:18 pm »

Vote Count 2.yuma

Eevee (1): EFHW
Walrus (3): Mail-mi, Voltaire
Voltaire (2): Eevee, Walrus

Not voting (2): yuma, teproc

I am ready and willing to vote for voltaire, but again wonder about teproc and mail-mi.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: November 12, 2013, 04:15:45 pm »

Walrus did go for the faust wagon. He stated intent to hammer but mail-mi beat him to it.

Oof, that last faust post was a doozy wasn't it? Certainly it dispels some reservations I had about lynching him.

I could hammer or mail-mi could; I don't care.

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: November 12, 2013, 04:17:07 pm »

Thank you Teproc. This is the most coherently I've seen the case on me expressed yet.

By Eevee's case, I mean that on day 1 :

You voted against faust for his theory talk, which you saw as possibly rolefishing. You then unvoted when you realized he had the same plan in another game, but still expressed suspicion on faust. Yuma called you out on that, and you revoted for faust.

This is very scummy in that it seems you care way too much about what town thinks of you. The way Eevee said it, you're trying to please the crowd, which I agreed/agree with.

Well, as I explained, I reflexively took my vote off, then put it back on when I realized I didn't have a better place to put it. I would think that if I were trying to please the crowd and blend in, I wouldn't have revoted, but maybe you disagree.

He also pointed out that you had posts where you were asking for approval for votes : this is the mail-mi thing you're referring to.

Post. I had one post where I did that, so far as I can tell. And even that I think makes it sound worse than it actually was.

He then had this post, which I'm including because you omitted it last time you adressed this :

In a stretch of boredom I actually went ahead and read the first 20 posts of Walrus in MC. He was definitely very jokey like he was here (I've never agreed with finding smileys or humor scummy, I recall that being at least a part of someone's reason for voting for him here though), but I don't see any of the hesitation he is showing here. Just votes with reasons provided, no asking for permissions of validations. I'm happy with my Walrus-vote.

Now his case is :
1) You are trying to please the crowd
2) This is not how you've played as town

This is, I think, a pretty strong case. Not amazing, but strong.

First of all, I think it's a little odd that Eevee went through that effort in a fit of "boredom", just to further a scum read on me. But hey, I'm a new player, so it is understandable he'd want to do some research.

But I think it is a bit silly. This is what, only my third game of Mafia, plus a smattering of other forum games. I'm still establishing a meta, and in particular you wouldn't expect my first game to be indicative of my overall playstyle. And besides, I don't think I've been really acting so differently. Do you think so? Do you even know what acting differently would be for me?

Now what I mean when I say you've changed your attitude is not only that you posted less. It's that you posted less content, and when you did you were very careful not to do these things. You might see this as "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario, and that's fair, but what I'm saying is that the fact that you've stopped doing these things Eevee was talking about does not mean his case in invalid.

Very careful not to do what things exactly? I mean I have posted less, that I freely admit and I do feel bad about. But I don't think you can look at a reduced amount of phone post-y content and conclude that I've been specifically avoiding X or Y.

On day 2, the only thing you've done is continuing your scum read on Voltaire and calling EFHW/Me town vs town. Oh, and asking for Eevee to clarify his case, then suspecting him for not doing so (this is fair).

You're right, my reads have been more focused D2 than D1. I think this is to be expected considering that the body of evidence we have to draw from has grown.

Once she turned out JK, you went all "I told you so"

No counterclaim. See I thought she seemed towny.
Alright, I'm back with a serious post before boring work.

So the last thing I really mentioned is that I found EFHW vs. teproc to be town vs. town. Apparently I was half right about that at least.

Haha, you're right, I was happy about my correct assessment and I was having a bit of fun.

I don't think this case is foolproof in any way. I just think you're one of the most likely to be scum, partly by POE, partly because of Eevee's case, partly because you've been lurking and tunneling on Voltaire day 2, while staying safely out of the EFHW discussion (you didnd't vote for her, but you didn't defend here either, which is a nice place for scum to be).

PPE : 4 unread replies

Well, I don't think that's exactly fair. I didn't vote for her and I said that the discussion struck me as town vs. town. That counts as a defense so far as I'm concerned. Sure it wasn't a rollicking Atticus Finch defense, but did you really expect one? She was still on the nullish side at that point for me. I ascribed some town points to her behavior...that's all, but it's not as if I just sat on the sidelines.

I think it's absolutely something scum!Volt would do. When called out about something, there are a few ways to react. One is to quietly stop doing it. Another is to embrace the behavior, sometimes to the point even of comedic excess. I believe that Voltaire could be pursuing the latter option here.

PPE: 10ish
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 55  All

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 16 queries.