Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 55  All

Author Topic: Mafia XXXIV: The Game of Thrones Mafia! (Day 2!!)  (Read 119489 times)

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XXXIV: The Game of Thrones Mafia! (Day 2!!)
« Reply #550 on: November 07, 2013, 01:45:27 pm »

I feel like we have had a really good day1.

I think we've had the sort of D1 that will lead to a great D2 but high odds for a crappy lynch D1.

This was the quote that stuck out most in my mind from the conclusion of D1. I'll go back and reread more carefully later after work, but I'm gonna vote: Voltaire initially as well.

Reasons yet?

Also: vote: EFHW btw. Had mafia-esque certainty in my town-ness, bad gut feeling from early D1, tried to get me lynched for contradictions (which usually come from town). yuma's case on her from D1. Seems to test the waters for a mail-mi lynch (knowing it probably won't happen). I feel pretty good here. All pending claims of course.

I re-read the entire thread. Robz was just found too scummy collectively for killing him to make any sense. Scum was clearly PR-hunting. So any argument predicated on "but X lived to D2!" is bad today, I am now certain.

So. Claiming. Here's where I'm at.

A tracker with a guilty result (tracked someone who targeted Robz) and a cop with a guilty result should both claim immediately. Because that has not happened, I assume we do not have any PRs with guilty results. We do know that if there is a BPT, their 1-shot remains.

Let's look at each setup (please point out mistakes). "Lynch pool" is from the point of view of a VT:

A (Jailkeeper, BPT, roleblocker): jailkeeper can semi-clear someone. BPT can live forever if they get to L-1 and have to claim. Scum will know perfect setup info. They'll kill the JK, but everyone who is not the JK will have a lynch pool of 4 players instead of 6 today (the BPT will claim at L-1 if needed). If this is the setup, I could go either way on if the JK should claim off the bat.
1 (Jailkeeper): JK can semi-clear someone. JK has a chance to save themselves if they jail the mafia making the kill. Lynch pool drops from 6 to 5. I don't think the JK should claim here.
B (Cop): Since we're assuming they don't have a guilty result, they can clear a townie as long as they didn't investigate Robz (and they might have, lots of people found him scummy). If they investigated Robz, don't claim. If they investigated a townie, claim and clear the townie. For those who are not the cleared townie or cop, the lynch pool drops from 6 to 4. Cop should definitely claim (if not Robz).
2 (Cop, Doctor, Roleblocker): Same cop considerations as above. Doctor doesn't claim (unless they have to at L-1). Lynch pool drops to 4 or 3 (if the cop didn't investigate the Doctor) as long as no Robz investigation. Cop should definitely claim (if not Robz).
C (Doctor, Tracker): Tracker can claim and we can play "follow the tracker" until the doctor dies. Lynch pool is 4. Tracker should claim but not their result (unless on scum).
3 (BPT, Tracker): Tracker can claim. Lynch pool is 4. Tracker should claim but not their result (unless on scum).

So, since our PRs don't know if they have a counterpart...I guess I would support claims from Tracker / "Cop with cleared townie" the most, followed by wishy-washy on the JK, and the doctor should never claim*, nor should the BPT* or "Cop with a Robz"*. *unless at L-1 of course.

Obviously all PRs should claim at L-1. Mafia will be caught in a fakeclaim if they make one today, but not tomorrow.

A soft deadline is going to be huge for us today. Real deadline is November 13 at 8:00 p.m. Soft deadline at noon November 12? Or do we want more than 1.5 real-life days?

I could be missing stuff. Please point out errors.

Everyone should say if they are ok with the soft deadline in their next post, and if not, when they would prefer it to be.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: November 07, 2013, 01:47:24 pm »

fine with that soft deadline.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: November 07, 2013, 01:48:27 pm »

What about later Nov. 11? I'll at home then , and not at noon.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: November 07, 2013, 01:50:32 pm »

New soft deadline 8 PM November 11. That's 48 hours before the real deadline.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: November 07, 2013, 01:51:56 pm »

New soft deadline 8 PM November 11. That's 48 hours before the real deadline.
Me gusta.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: November 07, 2013, 01:58:14 pm »

I'm unlikely to be awake that late, but I'll try (and be online a couple of hours before at least).

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: November 07, 2013, 02:01:55 pm »

I'm unlikely to be awake that late, but I'll try (and be online a couple of hours before at least).

That should be fine.

tl;dr my claiming post: cop/tracker with guilty result claim immediately. I think cop with a cleared living townie should claim. I think tracker should claim to be a tracker, but not their result. A jailkeeper should make their own decision. A cop who investigated Robz, a doctor, and the bulletproof townie should not claim.

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: November 07, 2013, 02:47:00 pm »

I find it hard to care about soft deadlines, because in my limited experience I've never seen them work. From what I've seen, people like to grandstand about it because it looks pro-town, but then it never actually accomplishes anything. Sure that sounds fine though, I'll believe it when I see it.

I feel like we have had a really good day1.

I think we've had the sort of D1 that will lead to a great D2 but high odds for a crappy lynch D1.

This was the quote that stuck out most in my mind from the conclusion of D1. I'll go back and reread more carefully later after work, but I'm gonna vote: Voltaire initially as well.

Reasons yet?

Well, that quote was just sort of the icing on my Voltaire D1 suspicion cake. I thought you were acting questionably throughout D1, and particularly towards the end. So this was my jumping off point going into D2.

i should take the time to look at my uneasy feelings of walrus in more depth / try to formulate something I could even explain to others.

Yes you should...because mostly what I've seen from you this game is tunneling me and then disappearing for long periods of time. I have to say my suspicion of you is escalating.

Has anybody not yet commented about claiming? It would be good to hear from everybody. It looks like Eevee and mail-mi haven't said much about it, if I haven't missed anything.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: November 07, 2013, 03:36:12 pm »

Has anybody not yet commented about claiming? It would be good to hear from everybody. It looks like Eevee and mail-mi haven't said much about it, if I haven't missed anything.

Leaning pro-claiming: yuma, Voltaire, teproc, EFHW
Leaning anti-claiming: Walrus
No stated opinion: Eevee, mail-mi

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: November 07, 2013, 03:41:11 pm »

What do you mean exactly by a soft deadline ? I think I saw something like that in Mafia XI, the idea is that you lynch however has the most votes on him/her at the time of the soft deadline, right ? So if they claim you have some time to start another wagon ?

I don't know if I'll be up at 8pm forum time, but I'll at least be there around 6pm, so I'm fine with the deadline.

As far as claiming goes : what Voltaire said looks right to me. I will add this though : there's no way for the Jailkeeper to know which setup we're in. Therefore, I suggest he doesn't claim, because if he's the only PR, it's not a great position. We can reconsider if an BPT has to claim at L-1 and we believe him.

And yeah, everyone should give their opinion about claiming before we do anything.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: November 07, 2013, 03:51:15 pm »

What do you mean exactly by a soft deadline ? I think I saw something like that in Mafia XI, the idea is that you lynch however has the most votes on him/her at the time of the soft deadline, right ? So if they claim you have some time to start another wagon ?

That's exactly it. It's super-important here, because if possible we want to keep the BPT/doc/etc. hidden. However, there may be situations where they have to claim - if they're run up to L-1, or if mafia fakeclaims something disprovable based on their claim. Then we can find a new lynch with our reduced lynch pool. Or, if we have a counter-claim, we know we should lynch only one of the two, and we have time to decide which of the claims is more convincing.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: November 07, 2013, 05:07:35 pm »

Leaning pro-claiming: yuma, Voltaire, teproc, EFHW
Leaning anti-claiming: Walrus
No stated opinion: Eevee, mail-mi

Leaning "depends on who you are (cop/tracker w/ a result, BP townie): mail-mi

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: November 07, 2013, 05:08:32 pm »

Why do you think the BP Townie should claim?

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: November 07, 2013, 05:13:30 pm »

So, to sum up my positions on claiming :
- Tracker with a result should claim, but not share the result unless it's on scum
- Cop with a result should claim and share the result
- Jailkeeper should not claim
- BPT should not claim
- Doctor should not claim
- Mafia Goon/Roleblocker should DEFINITELY claim, get this over with :P
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: November 07, 2013, 05:15:09 pm »

IC that won't be killed unless Scum is desperate.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: November 07, 2013, 05:15:44 pm »

What about the fact that we know they have their 1-shot left, and they can just claim at L-1 if they have to?

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: November 07, 2013, 05:16:45 pm »

So, to sum up my positions on claiming :
- Tracker with a result should claim, but not share the result unless it's on scum
- Cop with a result should claim and share the result
- Jailkeeper should not claim
- BPT should not claim
- Doctor should not claim
- Mafia Goon/Roleblocker should DEFINITELY claim, get this over with :P

I think we're on exactly the same page, except you left out - Cop with a town result on Robz should not claim

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: November 07, 2013, 05:21:12 pm »

Yeah, and I guess it's the same for a Tracker who tracked Robz ? Not entirely sure about that one.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: November 07, 2013, 05:22:51 pm »

What about the fact that we know they have their 1-shot left, and they can just claim at L-1 if they have to?
Because then we're scrambling for another lynch, because, let's face it, we're probably not going to hit the soft deadline (is hit the right word? Reach? Lynch by? IDK >_<)

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: November 07, 2013, 05:23:27 pm »

Yeah, and I guess it's the same for a Tracker who tracked Robz ? Not entirely sure about that one.

They should claim, just not their result, like all tracker situations where scum is not caught, I say.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: November 07, 2013, 05:24:05 pm »

Because then we're scrambling for another lynch, because, let's face it, we're probably not going to hit the soft deadline (is hit the right word? Reach? Lynch by? IDK >_<)

That's why we set a soft deadline 48 hours before the real one.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: November 07, 2013, 05:25:59 pm »

My opinion is still that he should claim. If not today, then def. tomorrow.

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: November 07, 2013, 05:27:25 pm »

I think we should set a soft soft deadline 48 hours before the soft deadline.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: November 07, 2013, 05:28:53 pm »

Also: vote: EFHW btw. Had mafia-esque certainty in my town-ness, bad gut feeling from early D1, tried to get me lynched for contradictions (which usually come from town). yuma's case on her from D1. Seems to test the waters for a mail-mi lynch (knowing it probably won't happen). I feel pretty good here. All pending claims of course.

That's a good idea, to get ahead of it before I vote you.  I don't know what you mean about mafia-esque certainty about your towniness, since I made a case on you and voted for you.  yuma didn't make a case on me - he found similarities from another game and got town on the alert if that similarity might continue.

Why are you so reluctant for a BPT to claim?  Teproc says tracker should claim b/c they might live the night, but the BPT definitely would, so where is the benefit to asking tracker to claim before BPT? 

I also don't like the "wait until at L-1 to claim" plan for the BPT.  That minimizes the time we have to make use of the BPT as IC.  We would have to do that if the tracker claims, but I don't think the tracker should claim until we are sure there is no BPT.  Then Teproc's plan might be worth considering.

vote: Voltaire

10 replies not read yet

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: November 07, 2013, 05:30:03 pm »

My opinion is still that he should claim. If not today, then def. tomorrow.

If we mislynch today, and don't block a kill (probably pretty likely), scum can counter tomorrow for at least a 50% win chance (if we've been finding the BPT scummy, and one of the scum team towny, they'll almost certainly counter trusting they'll be believed) and that's game.

So, reads. Those too.

Strong town reads on:
Teproc - great strong start, is thinking like me, playing pro-town, plus when he was chairs all that stuff points towards town too

Small town reads on:
mail-mi - behaving like normal scummy mail-mi. If he's scum we'll POE him at some point, or he'll have to start playing and show his true colors.

Null reads on:
yuma - still some concerning stuff D1, though he did propose claiming first. Scum yuma did that for towncred in WWTWDP and it came back to bite him. I'd think scum!yuma would have learned his lesson that it's not worth it, and just casually support claiming after someone else floats it
Eevee - wow, I can never remember Eevee. Ever.

Light scum read on:
Walrus - Eevee's case is darn good.

Strong scum read on:
EFHW - see the post where I vote her for why.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 55  All

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 16 queries.