Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 55  All

Author Topic: Mafia XXXIV: The Game of Thrones Mafia! (Day 2!!)  (Read 119465 times)

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XXXIV: The Game of Thrones Mafia! Day one start!!
« Reply #200 on: October 31, 2013, 04:03:07 am »

I just keep finding Walrus' posts scummy. See his last one:

Walrus I never have a lot of serious content early on.  I keep posting to help the game move forward, and ask questions for the same reason, but I didn't have any feeling strong enough to vote on until Eevee's post.  Notice, I didn't vote for you or yuma, I simply made some mild observations.  You both responded with long posts and votes against me.

But mild observations are the scummiest kind!

lol thanks chairs for taking the time to call me out even under such adversity. When you get proper Internet I'll expect you to be posting at volumes upward of 1 Gbit/s!
So you obviously saw chairs' accusation, but don't deem it necessary to react to it in any other way than a snarky comment?

This recent interaction between EFHW and yuma doesn't make me feel any worse about my current vote. It seems like yuma makes well-reasoned arguments drawing from evidence. I worry a bit that maybe he's pushing it a little too hard, like why is he digging so deep for this? But it still seems more towny than not to me. And also, although I wasn't playing, I followed Dynasty Warriors, and I too was dazzled by the efficacy of town. So I'm willing to listen to any analogies that involve that.
This is mostly buddying yuma. I mean, "well-reasoned arguments drawing from evidence"? The case on EFHW is more like a weakly-reasoned argument drawing from speculation. Which is fine, it's D1, there's not much evidence around anyway. But then why do you make it sound like yuma was the paragon of reason?

Finding Robz a bit townier lately, with more frequent, more Robzy posts.

I told you I would fall behind in the post count! I wonder how it would look if you tallied total word count?

Surely Voltaire has cultivated a meta of usefulness. But I agree with Eevee; I haven't perceived exactly the kind of zim-zam-boom! usefulness that I expected from you this game. That's sort of what I was driving at earlier. Maybe that was just a problem with my expectation though...obviously you are being an active player now to say the least.
So, you agree with Eevee, with little additional content except buddying Voltaire. I mean, what IS your read on Voltaire now?

I can't help but vote: Walrus now. That's L-1.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 31, 2013, 08:30:31 am »

Vote Count 1.4:

Robz888(1) Voltaire
WalrusMcFishSr (4): Chairs, Eevee, Mail-mi, Faust
Eevee (1): EFHW
EFHW (2): Yuma, Walrus
Not Voting (1): Robz888

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch.

Day 1 ends November 4 at 8:00 p.m.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 31, 2013, 08:46:51 am »

Robz, I know you reject the idea that you haven't been pro-town with your contributions.. but honestly, that and thinking your wagon will dissipate on it's own are the only thoughts of yours I've caught this far. Well, you don't like the Walrus-lynch, because you think he was just as "pleasing the crowdy" (for the lack of a better term) in MC (I disagree with that, but it's reasonable, I haven't gone back to pull examples). What are your reads? What actions of yours prove your towniness and make you worth keeping?

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 31, 2013, 09:02:31 am »

In a stretch of boredom I actually went ahead and read the first 20 posts of Walrus in MC. He was definitely very jokey like he was here (I've never agreed with finding smileys or humor scummy, I recall that being at least a part of someone's reason for voting for him here though), but I don't see any of the hesitation he is showing here. Just votes with reasons provided, no asking for permissions of validations. I'm happy with my Walrus-vote.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 31, 2013, 10:19:04 am »

what is causing this read (even if it is lite)?

Honestly, I can't call it more than a "gut" read right now. Your play is different. The Robz thing was interesting, and on a scale of 0 to 78 with 78 being obvscum I've decided it was a 41c now. You seem to be more passive about your primary case than you usually are. You don't seem to be as dominating of a leading voice as I'm expecting. I think we can all agree why this read is "lite" at best.

And while I am asking a question, what conclusion did you come to in regard to Walrus/EFHW? You said you were deciding which was scummier and which you wanted to join. But you are still on Robz yes? Is that where you want to be?

I came to the conclusion this morning that I want to stay on Robz. I think I would only switch to EFHW (of the current candidates), but I don't want to right now. Walrus, I realized, was seeming scummy in RMM9 for exactly this sort of behavior, and he was town. If I remember right, there was some of it in M31 too, and he was town. EFHW on the other hand really only has the high post count going for her. Everything else simply doesn't read town to me.

I'll happily explore other options, but midway through D1, I like my vote on Robz.

Speaking of other candidates...

The wagon on Robz.. hmmh. First of all, I don't like the attitude of "not having to do anything to make it disappear". But, would Robz be so bold as mafia? I can't say he is a townread for me, but I'd expect mafia to be less controversial in their wording of the critique for the wagon. Just playing more pro-town would have been an easier path for Robz, for sure.

Am I the only one who finds this suspicious (manufactured b/c Eevee knows Robz well)?  I know Voltaire agreed w/me that Robz would indeed say that as scum.

Yes, and I still agree with you. Yuma (CAUTION: Crazy assumptions to follow), EFHW is saying that Eevee is defending Robz for towncred, because he knows  Robz will flip town. While the rest of us, not knowing Robz's alignment, can easily see the play that Eevee says is town as scum.

Or I could go with my gut. Walrus/yuma scumteam.

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 31, 2013, 10:23:57 am »

Walrus I never have a lot of serious content early on.  I keep posting to help the game move forward, and ask questions for the same reason, but I didn't have any feeling strong enough to vote on until Eevee's post.  Notice, I didn't vote for you or yuma, I simply made some mild observations.  You both responded with long posts and votes against me.

But mild observations are the scummiest kind!

Ok then.  That helps me understand your reaction, and yuma's too.  I didn't realize that's how comments like that were perceived.  I guess you thought I was insidiously trying to sneak something in that would affect people w/o calling attention to myself? 

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 31, 2013, 10:27:18 am »

Voltaire - what do you make of them voting me one after the other?

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 31, 2013, 10:31:22 am »

Oh boy, my first real wagon!

No faust, I didn't deem it necessary to respond beyond that. I thought it was a rather superficial reason which is rather open to personal opinion. There is nothing inherently wrong about wagon building, especially when the game needed a kick in the ass at that point. When I joke I'm "snarky", when I don't I'm "different", apparently.

"Paragon of reason"? I found in that exchange that yuma was leaning more on rationale and research, while EFHW's responses seemed more like emotional reactions that didn't hold up to what yuma was asserting. Do you disagree with this? I even went so far as to qualify my trust. Call it "buddying" if you want, but that sounds like more spin to me.

More accusations of "buddying"? I'd call it "expressing a town read". Is that frowned upon now? Here's my stance: I found Voltaire less than towny at the beginning of the game; now I'm feeling more towny about him, certainly not a great D1 lynch, but not as towny as he could be.

Eevee, can you be more specific about the "hesitation" or permission-seeking you're talking about? Still that one time I asked about mail-mi? Or is there something else you're looking at?

I would just ask that you announce intent to hammer before you do anything rash, because spoiler alert: I'm not scum.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 31, 2013, 10:34:54 am »

Voltaire - what do you make of them voting me one after the other?

Yuma'd be totally willing. I could see him instructing Walrus to do so*. Who would ever suspect scum leading the wagon!*

*I am not pursuing this team seriously right now.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 31, 2013, 10:38:23 am »

"Paragon of reason"? I found in that exchange that yuma was leaning more on rationale and research, while EFHW's responses seemed more like emotional reactions that didn't hold up to what yuma was asserting. Do you disagree with this? I even went so far as to qualify my trust. Call it "buddying" if you want, but that sounds like more spin to me.

This exactly:

vote: faust

I'll add in some other thought when I get a chance, right now I am in the middle of updating the stats.

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: October 31, 2013, 11:19:46 am »

Now that I understand why I seemed scummy, I would like to officially apologize and request another chance!

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 31, 2013, 11:20:51 am »

Now that I understand why I seemed scummy, I would like to officially apologize and request another chance!

Granted! You should vote for faust! That would make you seem less scummy....

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 31, 2013, 11:31:44 am »

What? Voting for me makes one seem less scummy? Well, if that's the case, vote: faust!
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 31, 2013, 11:41:23 am »

I'm going to go with chairs. Vote: chairs

He has what I like to call "lack of presence." Meaning I don't recall him saying anytihng weighty. I checked his posts, they are very few, and there's nothing there.

Also, he suffers the POE. I don't want to lynch yuma. I don't find Voltaire scummy yet, or Eevee. I don't see anything to the cases on faust or Walrus. Walrus is just like he was in M31, and faust is actually more active, and well just different i tone, I think than his scum performance in M31.

Mail-mi, well I will always be up for lynching mail-mi, but he hasn't really done anything egregious here. And I said before I think the people who voted for me early are probably townie.

EFHW would be an okay lynch.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 31, 2013, 11:57:34 am »

What? Voting for me makes one seem less scummy? Well, if that's the case, vote: faust!

Hey look a self-vote!!! vote: faust again!

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 31, 2013, 11:58:58 am »

What are the other reasons, yuma?

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 31, 2013, 11:59:59 am »

what is causing this read (even if it is lite)?

Honestly, I can't call it more than a "gut" read right now. Your play is different. The Robz thing was interesting, and on a scale of 0 to 78 with 78 being obvscum I've decided it was a 41c now. You seem to be more passive about your primary case than you usually are. You don't seem to be as dominating of a leading voice as I'm expecting. I think we can all agree why this read is "lite" at best.

I am being passive about my cases that usual. I am not nearly as sure about any cases that I have been a part of thus far compared to some previous games. I am just not seeing anything that strikes me as gold. At least not yet...

PPE: I am about to get to them, took a quick break after stat crunching

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 31, 2013, 12:15:24 pm »

So my other reason behind my faust vote was that I remember him twice saying something about me that basically reflected a scummy read or a scummy vibe... but then later when he posted a reads list I was null and shouldn't be lynched... I think this coincided with people coming out and saying that I wasn't a good lynch option. So my basic thought is that I wonder if faust was trying to move a mislynch in my direction (pointing out things, with a spin like Walrus said, that I had done to get me lynched, but once he saw it wasn't viable, turned it around and ended up with a nuller, town read on me...

Here are the quotes...

Hi all!

Beside the Bulletproof issue, what else can we learn from last game?

1. Don't claim VT randomly. This is bad.

2. Don't derphammer. It is sometimes a fine and useful tool for town, but really, hitting the cop wasn't very ideal last time and I don't expect it to be here.

3. Don't autolynch the derphammer if there is one. Actually analyze whether or not the move--hopefully that move won't come about--was scum or town performing it.

4. Don't lurk

As for the Bulletproof issue. I think if the BP is going to claim, claiming day2 is better than claiming day1. Day2 and beyond is where ICs start to become more powerful and there is always the chance that mafia will shoot the bulletproof townie tonight. I am not convinced that the bulletproof townie should claim at all--I'll leave that up to them--but if they ultimately decide to do so, I would suggest doing it Day2.

And with that, perhaps we can talk about something other than this hypothetical that only has a 1/3 chance of existing in the first place.

I don't like this post. First yuma states some pretty obvious "lessons" from the last game, then does weigh in a little on the BP issue, which is okay in content, but doesn't really lead us anywhere, and ultimately suggests talking about "something else" - but doesn't give any proposal what we should talk about instead. The whole post is a little empty.

Vote: yuma

first post... accuses me of having an empty post (remember this was my first post of the game). It isn't empty. I have already discussed this, but I talk about what I think is pertinent information necessary to make sure we don't screw this up. Because town is certainly capable of screwing things up of late... And he completely ignored my next post (and the next post in the thread) which jumps straight into scum hunting.

So he is trying to spin this post as me not contributing, when I obviously am...

More spin, not about me specifically, but more spin:

Remember, robz cares about his scum games, less so about his town games. Especially true day 1!

More lies!

No lies! The following quote is from the mafia QT of M31:

Quote from: Robz888
My challenge is probably going to be finding a blanace. I CANT be too active on Day 1, because basically I just never am. I am way more active on Day 1s when I am scum, because I'm tryin to orchestrate things. As town, I just ignore the game until it gets interesting. So I will probably try to do that again here. Also, I am INCRDIBLY busy for the next few days. But I'm rarely a Day 1 target--I think yuma established that I should basically never ever be killed on Day 1.

Vote: Robz

I am less likely to put in a lot of work on Day 1 as town, yes this is true. I don't care less about winning, as Eevee implied. Furthermore, I'm doing stuff, and usually do some stuff anyway, I just worry that I have a scumtell of being around a lot on Day 1 when scum.

And it seems I am remembering wrong.... hmmm.

So faust's next post is his reads post... #3
5. Yuma - it's just hard for me to read him. But he seems to be a driving force, so I don't want him lynched D1.

which I thought was after the one I am about to post next.

vote: EFHW

Here is what I am seeing.... she is taking a somewhat similar stance to what theorel took in the last game. (not a perfect comparison, but I think comparable enough) Starting here...

Well, this is pretty interesting.  It's so early I have no read on Robz.  Everything he has I could him doing as either alignment.  So I don't feel like lynching him, or defending him.  Assuming he would flip town, since that is most likely, what would we have learned about the people voting him?  I'm on phone right now, so I'll try to look at that when I'm on a computer.

middle ground stance, stating that robz isn't scummy or townie, but instead more interested in people on the wagon... (same as theorel about sudgy last game)

last game theorel jumped on nkirbit for voting for sudgy. In this game EFHW is instead jumping on eevee for defending robz...

The wagon on Robz.. hmmh. First of all, I don't like the attitude of "not having to do anything to make it disappear". But, would Robz be so bold as mafia? I can't say he is a townread for me, but I'd expect mafia to be less controversial in their wording of the critique for the wagon. Just playing more pro-town would have been an easier path for Robz, for sure.

This doesn't make sense coming from Eevee who has played with Robz countless times and knows he would absolutely say that as scum or town.  He could be protecting a scumbuddy or looking for towncred vote: Eevee.

Right now I am deliberating between posting this and holding off to see where it goes. Because right now I anticipate that if the wagon on Robz stays at ~ L-1 for a while EFHW will starting defending Robz more and more (assuming of course that Robz is town, something I am actually thinking more and more likely... again another reason to move my vote just because a derphammer is always a possibility...) in the same way that theorel over time expressed a town read on sudgy after starting null on him... and also pressing more on eevee. So is seeing if that case builds worth giving town my read right now. I think it is generally always better to tell town what a fellow townie is thinking than to hold back ideas so I'll go with it.

This EFHW case seems a little constructed. It's basically this: "EHFW is acting like theorel did in that other game, only not exactly. I think she will do this and that in the future, and that would be scummy."

So EFHW has done something which weakly remsembles theorel's behaviour in M32, and you vote for her for something that she hasn't even done yet. In order for this to not look suspicious, you say "it's always better to tell town what you are thinking" which sounds reasonable but is actually false (see the whole secret case stuff in M31). It seems the reason you posted this now is more that you fear that this whole case is going to fall apart if EFHW doesn't do what you expect her to.

So my thought process was that faust made posts (I'll go back and number them real quick for clarity...) #1 and #4 before he made his reads post #3. And once he saw some discussion about me and not lynching me (Eevee and Robz and voltaire had this conversation) he backed off his mislynch attempt and went elsewhere... but it appears I have the timeline wrong so that narrative doesn't make sense anymore.

I do think he continues to spin in post #4... saying that my post is "constructed" and based off something EFHW will do in the future. That isn't what the case is. The case is about what she has already done and my talking about the future is in regard to see if she will do something to solidify that read (and my concern that talking about it will prevent her from doing that). And the part about M32... was created by scum so is complete bunk...

So the question is: does my idea of faust spinning overcome my mistake in the timeline...

I am not so sure that it does. I think if my timeline had been correct I would feel really good about this narrative, but as it is.... I am not so sure. Spin (as mcmc and I have discussed in the past) is something done I think more by mafia, but certainly as much by town in an effort to get people to attach to the cases and convince themselves and each other that they are correct... (see the opposite of what I am doing here as I doubt this conscious narrative about my doubt is convincing anyone.)

unvote for now.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 31, 2013, 12:17:22 pm »

But who puts in more effort to make sure their Day 1 reads are consistent and logically evolving, scum or town? Scum, of course scum.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 31, 2013, 12:29:37 pm »

I'm going to go with chairs. Vote: chairs

He has what I like to call "lack of presence." Meaning I don't recall him saying anytihng weighty. I checked his posts, they are very few, and there's nothing there.

How do you weigh the fact that he's without internet, and behaved this way in all his other games? (including his epic vig game)

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 31, 2013, 12:46:55 pm »

I don't find Voltaire scummy yet,
Lol.

Also, chairs has no internet and is acting like this all games. Walrus feels different, less jokey like he would be as scum methinks.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 31, 2013, 01:16:50 pm »

But who puts in more effort to make sure their Day 1 reads are consistent and logically evolving, scum or town? Scum, of course scum.

This is a relevent point...

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 31, 2013, 01:33:35 pm »

Well I don't really have a great idea of who is mafia. I think there is at least one player voting for walrus that is mafia--unless walrus is mafia... in which case hopefully he gets lynched, but for now...--so that would be:

Robz888(1) Voltaire
WalrusMcFishSr (3): Chairs, Eevee, Mail-mi
EFHW (1): Walrus
faust (1): faust
chairs (1): Robz888

not voting (1): yuma

chairs, eevee, mail-mi and I am including faust here as well...

my faust case kinda blew up. I don't see anything from mail-mi. I could vote for chairs, but his phone posting does have a point. So that leaves eevee... Is the only reason I am not voting for eevee because the other voter is EFHW? Maybe... but is that bad? No. I think eevee had a valid point about robz and don't see it as scummy...

so maybe there isn't mafia on Walrus? Or maybe Walrus is mafia...?

I am going back to vote: EFHW

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 31, 2013, 01:50:24 pm »

Still happy with my vote.  Kind of like the "walrus/yuma scumteam" statement, though I'd be chuffed to bits if we actually landed on the scumteam D1.

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 31, 2013, 02:02:38 pm »

Well I don't really have a great idea of who is mafia. I think there is at least one player voting for walrus that is mafia--unless walrus is mafia... in which case hopefully he gets lynched, but for now...--so that would be:

Robz888(1) Voltaire
WalrusMcFishSr (3): Chairs, Eevee, Mail-mi
EFHW (1): Walrus
faust (1): faust
chairs (1): Robz888

not voting (1): yuma

chairs, eevee, mail-mi and I am including faust here as well...

my faust case kinda blew up. I don't see anything from mail-mi. I could vote for chairs, but his phone posting does have a point. So that leaves eevee... Is the only reason I am not voting for eevee because the other voter is EFHW? Maybe... but is that bad? No. I think eevee had a valid point about robz and don't see it as scummy...

so maybe there isn't mafia on Walrus? Or maybe Walrus is mafia...?

I am going back to vote: EFHW

I think you can rule out mail-mi and chairs based on lack of information and then say so maybe there is no mafia on Walrus.  It seems like the logical conclusion would be there may or may not be mafia on Walrus, and you don't know.  And even if Eevee's point was genuinely intended, he could still be mafia, too. 

I'm not sure you totally get my point on Eevee.  Yes, his statement was generally logical, and for many people seeing them make a daring comment would lead you to find them towny.  For Robz, that should be a nulltell, though.  He would say that dissipate comment precisely because people would think it was too daring for scum to say.  Therefore, I think we can't draw any conclusion from his comment about his alignment.  Eevee would know this, so Eevee's using that reasoning to find specifically Robz towny is surprising, and makes me think he is looking for a way to disassociate himself from the lynch of a towny, or, less likely, defending a mafia partner. 
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 55  All

Page created in 2.144 seconds with 16 queries.