Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 60  All

Author Topic: Mafia XXXIII: Toy Story Mafia (Game over, Ice Mafia win!)  (Read 140873 times)

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XXXIII: Toy Story Mafia (GAME IS ON DAY 1 START!!)
« Reply #150 on: November 04, 2013, 09:32:27 pm »

Hey all! I hail from the Rocky Mountains - Utah, to be exact. I have little to no mafia experience, so go easy on me. :)

Okay.  vote: NHS
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 04, 2013, 09:34:43 pm »

Hey all! I hail from the Rocky Mountains - Utah, to be exact. I have little to no mafia experience, so go easy on me. :)

yay! another Utahan.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 10:11:58 pm by mail-mi »

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 04, 2013, 09:38:17 pm »

What a way to welcome a new player.  Vote for him right away.  (although at this point your vote for NHS has about as much significance as ashersky's first post voting for yuma--none)
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 04, 2013, 09:38:54 pm »

So ash, is having the doc claim right now, this second better than having a doctor wait until say ~5 days from now? I think waiting a bit is better. 1. we can flesh out if this is actually the best plan 2. we can use whatever knowledge we have from interactions players had with said doctor.

It is the same with IC variations. Mod confirmed from the start is the weakest form. Day2 IC are a bit stronger. The strongest are ones in which the player can claim whenever they want to do so. Which I think is what archetype was alluding to when he said doc shouldn't claim day1, but should wait til day2. But that carries the risk of the doc being killed by 1 mafia faction during the night.

We also need to remember than unless we have mafia hit the same player, mafia hitting each other or a doc save we are going to be dealing with 2 NKs a night for at least the first night and probably the second... we might be losing players very quickly leading to a shorter game.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 04, 2013, 09:39:19 pm »

Why don't you want to vote a 0-poster with me?

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 04, 2013, 09:45:56 pm »

What a way to welcome a new player.  Vote for him right away.  (although at this point your vote for NHS has about as much significance as ashersky's first post voting for yuma--none)

vote: 2.7

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 04, 2013, 09:46:07 pm »

Why don't you want to vote a 0-poster with me?

Pick one.  I'll do it.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 04, 2013, 09:46:35 pm »

(Also, for the new players, my voting pattern up to now has been a textbook example of "RVS.")

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 04, 2013, 09:46:59 pm »

vote: Voltaire

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 04, 2013, 09:47:27 pm »

He hasn't posted yet, right?  Here's our pressure vote candidate.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 04, 2013, 09:50:34 pm »

yay! another Utahan.

Oh how I wish I could edit this to say it correctly... Oh wait... I can.

Vote Count 1.2

Voltaire (1): ashersky
Not Voting (12): 1. Voltaire, Robz888, liopoil, Archetype, sudgy, yuma, Voltgloss, 2.71828....., faust, Gveoniz, Eevee, NHSederholm

With 13 alive it takes 7 to lynch

Day 1 ends Monday November 11 at 8ish FT.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 04, 2013, 09:51:21 pm »

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XXXIII: Toy Story Mafia (Full! Starts Monday!)
« Reply #162 on: November 04, 2013, 09:51:57 pm »

vote: yuma
I don't know, it took you all of 1 hour, 42 minutes, and 22 seconds to vote for four different people.  Seems like you know what you are doing. 
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 04, 2013, 09:53:32 pm »

So, we're in a better spot than normal, given we're hunting a known 4 scum.  As town, we don't care if we hit fire or ice scum, so to me, I'm looking for 4 scummy players on D1.

In future days, if we get scum flips, we can think about who's possible partners, etc. but I really think scumhunting on D1 in this game means finding one of four bad guys, and we don't care about partners.  That's to say, I think seeing interactions between players isn't a way to catch the bad guys.

I would compare this D1 to Mean Girls D1, actually.  You had three scum there who were amazing and brilliant, but didn't even know who their partners were.  I would say scumhunt as you would there, with that knowledge.

another thing to remember is that scum is hunting for scum themselves. So just because someone is actively trying to find scum doesn't make them town. Scum isn't even trying for a mislynch here, they really want to hit mafia... They get some credit for it and eliminate the NK threat at the same time. I have been scum twice in multiball and that is the main goal scum have to find the other players. A mislynch is ok, but hitting other scum is far more superior.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 04, 2013, 09:55:52 pm »

1)  It reduces the lynch pool.  Each town player is looking for 4/12 bad guys today.  Already nice odds.  Each town player that isn't the doctor gets to instead look at 4/11 players, which is better.  The doctor gains nothing and is still looking at 4/12, but the overall chances have gone up.
2)  If we have multiple doctor claims, we catch scum.
3)  There is WIFOM for the night kill, no matter what scum!liopoil says.  It is impossible for either team to know if the other will shoot the doc.  They cancel each others' kills.  I'd give good odds that the Doctor lives, and possibly saves someone else.
4)  The doctor is a weak PR here.  Doctors are weak anyway, and no difference here.  Let's go worst case: VT lynch today.  We go into N1 with 2 kills, each of which have 10 possible kill targets.  The doctor needs to choose 1/11 to protect.  He has two chances to protect, though.  I don't know how to include the odd possibility of both scum teams and doctor all targeting the same person and resulting in a death.  No matter what, the doctor can only stop one kill anyway.
1) no it doesn't. We can't lynch the doctor even if he doesn't claim. Worst that happens is that someone mistakenly suspects the doctor.
2) sure, but scum get to choose if they claim or not. If claiming is a bad choice for them, they won't do it.
3) oh sure, there's a bit of a guessing game (WIFOM is the wrong term here I think). And yes, good odds the doctor lives. However, they are worse odd than if he doesn't claim. There is absolutely no way that claiming increases the chance that the doctor lives.
4) doctor is weak, yes. I'd totally be willing to increase the chance that the doctor dies slightly if there was something for town to gain by doing that.

...So I think we agree that the doctor claiming only slightly increases the chance that a weak PR dies. Where we disagree is if town has something to gain by the doctor claiming. I don't think they do.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 04, 2013, 10:29:41 pm »

I'm here.  I haven't read other than to confirm that we're not at some ridiculously fast L-1.  We're not?  Good.

Vote: Robz

He's an OK-to-good player as town, but a phenomenal player as scum.  Lacking any further information, that makes him my lynch choice.  Love ya, Robz.

Now to read what people are saying.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XXXIII: Toy Story Mafia (Full! Starts Monday!)
« Reply #166 on: November 04, 2013, 10:31:28 pm »

Also, no plan.  Except someone needs to draw both NKs so that there are no NKs.  So, I do have a plan.

What town PR is most likely to get NKed?  Maybe they can claim, force wifom, and either not die from two kills or not die because both teams dodge them?

Oh, 8 freaking VTs?  Yeesh.

Doctor can claim, force both teams to decide who shoots him, either both or neither.  Lives forever?

Homework:  Is "ash who hasn't carefully reviewed the setup pregame" generally town!ash, or generally scum!ash?

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 04, 2013, 10:39:35 pm »

Generally scum!ash, I think? He had plans in Clue (town), HP (town), and something else - a blitz? - as town. This is since my return. Unfortunately I don't think I've seen scum!ash since my return.

Also vote: e. e, I always cast my first vote of the game for someone I haven't played with before. See: RVS.

I think I like the doctor!claim plan, for yuma's reasons and belief in the power of ICs.

Also this is gonna be my only post tonight, you'll get more of me tomorrow morning.

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 04, 2013, 10:47:30 pm »

My take on a D1 doctor claim:

I don't have enough experience to say how this has played out in this or that game, but my gut reaction is that this hurts the doctor himself more than helping.  It might help him survive N1, but in a large game it seems to me that N2, 3, or 4 might be more important than N1, and giving that information away early seems to make you more vulnerable in future nights.  True, worst case scenario tells me that only about 77% (10/13) of us will survive N1.  However, if you claim doctor, Ice and fire both decide doctor or other.  This leaves you 50% chance of survival as doctor, only surviving in the case of doctor/doctor or other/other.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 04, 2013, 10:49:46 pm »

I believe a doctor claim right away is awesome sauce, and is officially the D1 ashersky plan.

Why?  Glad you asked...

1)  It reduces the lynch pool.  Each town player is looking for 4/12 bad guys today.  Already nice odds.  Each town player that isn't the doctor gets to instead look at 4/11 players, which is better.  The doctor gains nothing and is still looking at 4/12, but the overall chances have gone up.
2)  If we have multiple doctor claims, we catch scum.
3)  There is WIFOM for the night kill, no matter what scum!liopoil says.  It is impossible for either team to know if the other will shoot the doc.  They cancel each others' kills.  I'd give good odds that the Doctor lives, and possibly saves someone else.
4)  The doctor is a weak PR here.  Doctors are weak anyway, and no difference here.  Let's go worst case: VT lynch today.  We go into N1 with 2 kills, each of which have 10 possible kill targets.  The doctor needs to choose 1/11 to protect.  He has two chances to protect, though.  I don't know how to include the odd possibility of both scum teams and doctor all targeting the same person and resulting in a death.  No matter what, the doctor can only stop one kill anyway.

So, I think the doctor claiming works well.

Hmm.

1)  If the Doctor is run up to L-1, he will claim.  He won't get lynched.  And we have the benefit of his almost-wagon to help us decide where the lynch SHOULD fall.

2)  Yes.  But that's not going to happen Day 1.  Scum won't counterclaim Doctor unless they can win the game by doing so.  I.e., in the late game where, if town mislynches, they lose.  Otherwise, they're just trading 1 scumplayer for the Doctor - and in a game where there are two small scumteams (like here), that's a losing proposition for scum.

3)  I agree with this point.  ash, do you think the Doctor has a better chance of living through the night if he claims?  Note, however, that this WIFOM falls apart mid-game once one scumteam is eradicated; the Doctor will die immediately after that happens. 

4)  Unless I am misreading the rules, the doctor's protection does NOT transmute a mafia crosskill into a death.  I.e., if the doctor and both mafia teams all target the same player, that player does NOT die at night.  Separate point: the doctor is more useful later in the game when he has a higher chance of successfully blocking a kill (because there are fewer targets for him to choose from).

So I am not convinced that the best plan is for the doctor to claim right away.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 04, 2013, 10:52:36 pm »

Though, here's a caveat I just thought of:  if scum are trying to shoot opposing scum, the claimed doctor is the last person they want to target early on.  Because he is the LEAST likely to actually be opposing scum.

So I can see a claimed doctor surviving all the up until one scumteam is wiped out.  At that point, though, they are marked for death.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 04, 2013, 10:56:32 pm »

(Also, for the new players, my voting pattern up to now has been a textbook example of "RVS.")

ash, why did you post this?

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 04, 2013, 11:06:48 pm »

ash, why did you post this?

Because of these two posts, one of which was before my explanation, and one which was after:

vote: yuma
I don't know, it took you all of 1 hour, 42 minutes, and 22 seconds to vote for four different people.  Seems like you know what you are doing.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 04, 2013, 11:07:23 pm »

Though, here's a caveat I just thought of:  if scum are trying to shoot opposing scum, the claimed doctor is the last person they want to target early on.  Because he is the LEAST likely to actually be opposing scum.

So I can see a claimed doctor surviving all the up until one scumteam is wiped out.  At that point, though, they are marked for death.

Great point that I missed.  Definitely helps narrow scum's kill pool at night if they are shooting for the other team.  (Hint: they should be.)

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 04, 2013, 11:07:52 pm »

yay! another Utahan.

Oh how I wish I could edit this to say it correctly... Oh wait... I can.

It's not Utahese?

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 60  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.