Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 62  All

Author Topic: [D&D 4e] Chapter 1: Rescue at Rivenroar  (Read 129230 times)

WinterSpartan

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
Re: [D&D 4e] Chapter 1: Rescue at Rivenroar
« Reply #250 on: July 03, 2013, 05:33:29 pm »

[Is there anyone besides us 6 in the room?]

[Oh, also, there's a pair of guards present.]

Troyas stiffens angrily, as the guards put their hands on their swords. "You DARE threaten me? I don't care how 'helpful' you think you were, you didn't save the city yourself. Your group wasn't the only one who killed an ogre last night, and as I recall the goliath there finished it off anyway while you were unconscious on the ground." He looks at the rest of the party. "If any of the rest of you have more sense, and think you're worthy of this mission - and the supplies, money, and so on that the city could provide - please speak up now. It'd be better if YOU, Beleren Sorkin, say nothing at all."

It's decently apparent to everyone, but Veonis realizes that Councilor Troyas is not a man who takes kindly to being bullied. A more diplomatic approach might work a good bit better.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 03, 2013, 06:33:30 pm »

Hroksull alternated uneasy looks between Beleren and Troyas. Beleren had a sort of ferocity that Hroksull admired. It reminded him of some of the loudest warriors back home--the ones who brought back many boastful tales of conquests. Yet, Troyas was not cowed by Beleren's bravado. There was something to this human-elf. He held himself well, though he did not look like much of a warrior to Hroksull.

At hearing a reference to himself, Hroksull straightened his shoulders. He was pleased with the recognition of his fight last night, but that pleasure was marred by the realization that the human-elf used it to insult someone else.

"I could not fight that ogre by myself. That is something the elders can do. I am but a pebble. This Beleren fell while fighting the ogre. He has much bravery. If he did not trouble the ogre, then I might also be on the ground."

He shrugged his large shoulders. "I know I will go out to fight hobgoblins. Your bartender was good to me. I hope all humans in this town are good too."

((Hroksull lends his support for whomever would like to take the lead next. He only speaks his side of the story with a weary resignation that he will have to leave this town and find the hobgoblins without the town's help.))

Assisting Diplomacy 1d20-1 : 15 - 1, total 14
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 03, 2013, 06:33:59 pm »

Yay, +2 to the lead Diplomacy skill check, I do believe.
A man has no signature

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 03, 2013, 08:05:01 pm »

"By my reckoning, this group worthy of the mission given.  Likely one or the other of us would fail alone, but I've seen us work together instinctively when the attack first landed.  And that was just providence that we were all in the same room at the same time.  Now that we realize our potential as a group, by the power of Erathis, we WILL rescue Kartenix and the others.  We hope to do this with your blessing and aid, that would certainly ease our burden."

[I'm not sure what this Diplomacy check is all about, but I'll just roll a d20, and somebody can tell me what modifiers affect it]
Rolled 1d20 : 15, total 15

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 03, 2013, 08:19:53 pm »

Bel is quite taken aback by this, kinda left speechless so he lets it slide.

WinterSpartan

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: July 03, 2013, 11:47:40 pm »

[I'm not sure what this Diplomacy check is all about, but I'll just roll a d20, and somebody can tell me what modifiers affect it]

[You had a total of +4 to the roll - +1 from your Diplomacy skill on the character sheet, +1 from having Veonis around (he gives you all a +1 bonus to Diplomacy, Insight, and Initiative), and +2 from Hroskull's previous roll. So total result of 19.]

Eoffram nods slowly. "Well said, priest. I do believe the gods may be watching out for you - mentioning divine favor was not intended to be an insult." He sighs deeply. "None of us want this to be as bad as the last time the Red Hand attacked. I've only heard stories of it from my great-grandparents, may they rest in peace, but it was enough that I don't take this lightly. I think we all agree that there is a serious threat here."

After a brief pause, he turns to Veonis and Merik. "What of you, bard? Or you, warrior? Have either of you anything to add?"

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 04, 2013, 01:02:43 am »

((Hroksull's participating. Yay! Where's my gold star?))
A man has no signature

Gveoniz

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 04, 2013, 02:11:53 am »

"It is my pleasure to help the city." Veonis says "It would also be a great help if extra capital can be provided." Veonis do not need or care that much about rewards, but others may do, or at least replenish some supply.

Diplomacy
Rolled 1d20+11 : 20 + 11, total 31

Gveoniz

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 04, 2013, 02:16:41 am »

[Wow that roll is impressive, but I have add the cooperation bonus yet. +4 from Hroksull plus Derath? ]

WinterSpartan

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 04, 2013, 08:27:38 am »

[Wow that roll is impressive, but I have add the cooperation bonus yet. +4 from Hroksull plus Derath? ]

[Well, not quite - you aren't cooperating here so much as making your own roll. I realize that's a bit confusing, sorry. Pretty irrelevant in this case.]

Veonis launches into an impassioned plea for cooperation and assistance, which leaves all who hear it inspired and a little stunned by the sheer eloquence. After a brief moment of reverent awe, Troyas clears his throat. "Well. After that, I don't think there's much I can say, other than - thank you for being willing to help us." He begins rummaging through his desk, and pulls out a small pouch of money and some papers, which he proffers to Veonis. "The council's willing to offer 400 gold pieces for the safe return of the seven captured citizens, or proof of their demise, and an additional 200 gold for the recovery of the artifacts from the Hall of Great Valor. In case you need additional equipment or supplies for your mission, I'm offering you 25% of that up-front; there's 150 gold in this pouch. Full details on the captives and the artifacts are on these papers. I will also inform the guards in the town square that you are to be allowed to interrogate the hobgoblin there - just don't kill him before his trial. Now... is there anything else I can do for you all?"

[Note - I will be camping for the 4th of July weekend, and thus have no internet access from this afternoon until Sunday.]

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 04, 2013, 01:48:33 pm »

((Basically, you declare beforehand if you are assisting or not. I knew my -1 wasn't going to make me a good face man, but I can at least contribute to the conversation. Hroksull just doesn't have the confidence to sway people on his own.

Interestingly enough, that would mean that at 18th level, you can assist in any skill since you'll have +9 to everything. Sooner, if your ability score is above average.))
A man has no signature

WinterSpartan

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 08, 2013, 05:29:43 pm »

[Gentlemen? Anything? Or are you all simply done with the conversation and ready to move on to the hobgoblin?]

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 08, 2013, 05:51:19 pm »

Bel is done. As they exit, he expresses that he is quite displeased that his "dialogue" with Counselor was interrupted so abruptly. Though, he does admit that they did a good job, though, he would have managed to do it anyway..

Before going to investigate the Gobo, Bel wants to visit a library and to try and find any book on goblins and/or ogres, as to prepare himself for the challenges to come.

[i.e. Bel is ready to proceed]

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 08, 2013, 06:25:08 pm »

Hroksull is surprised at the prospect of getting paid to go kill some vermin, but he won't argue. He goes along with the others.
A man has no signature

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 08, 2013, 06:41:05 pm »

"We are paid to rescue the hostages and recover the artifacts. Killing vermin in process is what makes it interesting".

WinterSpartan

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 08, 2013, 09:46:53 pm »

[Any shopping you want to do? Any preparations any of you besides Beleren want to make? 150 gp is not enough for a magic item, but it's enough for most mundane items you could want. You could also simply bank it for later.]

Gveoniz

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 08, 2013, 11:20:07 pm »

"I think we shall leave now, thank you for your help." Veonis says, then go along with others.

Veonis does not have preparation to do.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 08, 2013, 11:42:37 pm »

"Depends on where the hobgoblins came from. If they came from the mountains..." Hroksull glances at the others. "...we'll need climbing gear. Maybe learn more from your prisoner."
A man has no signature

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 09, 2013, 12:31:49 am »

[Frankly, I'm not sure what sort of thing I would need.  A magic item would help my spells/attacks, but I can't afford that, right?

Derath wouldn't want trinkets for trinkets' sake...I feel like he would spend the bare minimum to be effective in his mission.  Perhaps you could enlighten me about the prices of armors?  Derath did after all, almost fall in battle in the tavern.]

[also also, I forgot about that goblin prisoner]

WinterSpartan

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 09, 2013, 07:32:41 am »

[Frankly, I'm not sure what sort of thing I would need.  A magic item would help my spells/attacks, but I can't afford that, right?
[Right - the cheapest magic items are 360 gp, and right now you only have 30 gp each.]

Derath wouldn't want trinkets for trinkets' sake...I feel like he would spend the bare minimum to be effective in his mission.  Perhaps you could enlighten me about the prices of armors?  Derath did after all, almost fall in battle in the tavern.]
[The chainmail Derath is wearing is the best nonmagical armor he can - it's the heaviest thing he has proficiency with. Magic armors are better, but again, price. Doesn't sound like anyone wants or needs to buy anything at the moment.]

Before going to investigate the Gobo, Bel wants to visit a library and to try and find any book on goblins and/or ogres, as to prepare himself for the challenges to come.

[Sent you a PM.]

Shortly thereafter, the group strides into the town square. Just as the councilor said, there's a lone hobgoblin in stocks and shackles standing there, flanked by two bored-looking town guards. His wounds from last night's battle have been bandaged, but the number of rotting tomatoes around (and on) him hints that his treatment, as you might expect, hasn't been completely kind.

As you come to a halt in front of him, he looks up wearily and says, "I ain't saying nothin' unless you people let me go."

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: July 09, 2013, 07:41:53 am »

I tell Derath that I already have climbing gear.

Am I at the cell?

WinterSpartan

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 09, 2013, 07:44:11 am »

Yes, you're with the group in front of the hobgoblin. Your stop was relatively quick.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 09, 2013, 07:56:53 am »

I cast Lighting Breath at an empty space (as not to actually hit anyone).

"Listen now, you squirmy worm. I am not a town official, and I don't need to follow no procedures. There nothing stopping me in spilling your guts right here. So, if you don't fancy being incinerated right now, you better start talking. Start with the basic, where are the hostages taken, how many of you are there, and how do we breach the defenses?"
(Bel was light on questions, as Goblins are quite dumb and might be overwhelmed with his standard procedure :P )

Intimidate?
Rolled 1d20+9 : 5 + 9, total 14

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 09, 2013, 08:12:00 am »

[Dunno if this roll will be enough, but if it doesn't, Bel will seriously consider letting you guys do the talking stuff from now on...]

WinterSpartan

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 09, 2013, 05:32:35 pm »

"You hurt me? Maybe you could, with me chained like this. Maybe not. Youse no warrior - and you don't scare me. I told you, I ain't saying nothin unless you let me go."
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 62  All

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 16 queries.