Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 62  All

Author Topic: [D&D 4e] Chapter 1: Rescue at Rivenroar  (Read 129228 times)

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
Re: [D&D 4e] Chapter 1: Rescue at Rivenroar
« Reply #200 on: June 25, 2013, 12:32:44 am »

"Urgh..." Merik moans before regaining consciousness. 

"Damn that hurt" He thinks to himself, rising on his feet.

Merik swings his sword around, marking the ogre, and moves to T16 to try to catch his breath.

(He'll wield his sword with two hands if that's a free action)
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

WinterSpartan

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 25, 2013, 07:16:48 am »

[It is, so no problem there.]

Still on fire, the hobgoblin jumps down from the wagon and begins to flee. It doesn't look like he'll make it far.

Extra fire damage to hobgoblin:
Rolled 1d8 : 8, total 8

The ogre, now free of its harness, looks around in a bit of a daze. It totters forward (giving Derath a brief opening to strike with his staff) and swings halfheartedly at Hroskull.

Derath's attack of opportunity:
Rolled 1d20+2 : 16 + 2, total 18
Rolled 1d8 : 7, total 7

Ogre's attack:
Rolled 1d20+9 : 3 + 9, total 12
Rolled 2d10-3 : 1, 7 - 3, total 5

WinterSpartan

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 25, 2013, 07:23:26 am »

Before he's gone more than a few steps, in fact, the hobgoblin falls dead.

Derath misses what he knows would have been a killing blow by only a matter of inches. In his defense, he's not really used to fighting with the staff.

[You're all up again. Looks like we're about done with the second combat. Don't forget that you can make a DC 15 Heal check on Beleren as a standard action, if adjacent, to stabilize him; Derath and Veonis have the best chances of success.]

Gveoniz

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 25, 2013, 08:43:22 am »

[What about cooperation? Can Veonis do this together with Derath?]
Veonis steps forwards next to the hurt man. "We have to help him" says Veonis to the priest new to him. However Veonis is not confident with his skill after failing to save someone. "May be you will take the lead, I will assist you."

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 25, 2013, 08:49:13 am »

[ I assume the cart is blown up?]

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 25, 2013, 08:54:20 am »

Hroksull grinned a mad, feral grimace. The ogre kept up with his backpedaling. Suddenly, Hroksull leaned back and propelled himself forward, swinging both weapons at once. "Kord will never show you mercy for your weakness," he growled in Giant.

Battleaxe attack 1d20+6 : 14 + 6, total 20
Battleaxe damage 1d10+1 : 9 + 1, total 10

Hand axe attack 1d20+6 : 9 + 6, total 15
Hand axe damage 1d6+1 : 2 + 1, total 3

Quarry damage 1d6 : 5, total 5

A man has no signature

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 25, 2013, 01:41:27 pm »

[I'll assume that Beleran is the piece next to me]

As his fury subsides, Derath hears the Bard call out to him.  He quickly lays his hands on the dying man. "Grant us the strength to tend his wounds, that he may carry on fighting in your name!"

Heal:
Rolled 1d20+4 : 6 + 4, total 10

Axxle2

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 25, 2013, 05:25:37 pm »

Merik has had a bit of time to regroup and get a handle on the situation. "Damn that ogre" he mutters to himself as he moves in [to N17 via O16] and strikes.

Booming blade:
Rolled 1d20+9 : 18 + 9, total 27

Rolled 1d8+5 : 6 + 5, total 11
I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other.

Axxle2

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 25, 2013, 05:26:57 pm »

[yay it hit!]

WinterSpartan

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 25, 2013, 05:52:04 pm »

[ I assume the cart is blown up?]

[Very much so, yes]

[yay it hit!]

[I kind of hate to break it to you, now that you finally hit - but it was already dead.]

Hroksull's blow brings the ogre down; a truly worthy foe that will provide excellent hunting in the afterlife. As its enormous corpse lands with a crash, a few minutes of silence prevail as Derath and Veonis frantically tend to Beleren's wounds. Then a most welcome sight appears - a small column of weary, soot-covered city guards, obviously drawn by the explosion. They halt and quickly begin to size up the situation.

[What about cooperation? Can Veonis do this together with Derath?]
Veonis steps forwards next to the hurt man. "We have to help him" says Veonis to the priest new to him. However Veonis is not confident with his skill after failing to save someone. "May be you will take the lead, I will assist you."
[I'll assume that Beleran is the piece next to me]

As his fury subsides, Derath hears the Bard call out to him.  He quickly lays his hands on the dying man. "Grant us the strength to tend his wounds, that he may carry on fighting in your name!"

[Yes, you can work together. Derath's roll wasn't good enough to get Beleren back on his feet - but it was good enough to give Veonis +2 to his roll.]

Axxle2

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: June 25, 2013, 06:20:26 pm »

Pardon the language:

Merik takes the time to recover from encounter. Being so close to death made him sober up a bit. He reverts back to his earthsoul.

[Not sure how many healing surges I need to use, I think 2 is enough with the Bard's bonus?]

"Hey, if any of you guards have medical training we could use some help over here."
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 06:23:51 pm by Axxle2 »

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 25, 2013, 06:26:10 pm »

Petition: enemy HP revealed, it might make combat run smoother.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 25, 2013, 06:31:55 pm »

I'm generally in favor of unknown HPs, especially when you don't know what are minions and what are not, but I cannot disagree with Axxle's statement.

If you do decide to reveal HPs, only reveal them for enemies that took damage. That way, minions are still unknown.

But I'm good either way. I can see where a more complex fight means that PCs need to really choose order and specific tactics.
A man has no signature

WinterSpartan

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 25, 2013, 09:57:03 pm »

[I will note that when I put the "bloodied" status on a monster, it means it's lost more than half its hitpoints. That should give you a decent idea of what its total hitpoints are.

If that proves insufficient after a few combats, I'm more than willing to reevaluate. I could also put the minimum and maximum hitpoints you can calculate from that up front; maybe I'll do that.

Also, can't you only change manifestations once per day?]

The lieutenant in charge of the company nods and calls an order. One man hurries over to Derath, Veonis, and Beleren, and begins to inspect Bel's wounds. "Hmmm... it looks like you've been staunching the worst of the bleeding, that should help."
Rolled 1d20+9 : 1 + 9, total 10

The lieutenant then approaches Merik. "What happened here? Are there any more hobgoblins in the immediate area?"

WinterSpartan

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 25, 2013, 09:58:34 pm »

[Taking a bit of a liberty here, but assuming Veonis still wants to help...]

The company medic is having some trouble, so Veonis begins murmuring a healing incantation under his breath.

Rolled 1d20+8 : 14 + 8, total 22

[The reason that's at +8 - we've had two rolls below the 15 necessary for healing but at the 10 required to make future checks easier]

WinterSpartan

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 25, 2013, 09:58:59 pm »

With the three of them working together, Beleren regains consciousness.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 26, 2013, 12:34:27 am »

Hroksull smiles briefly at the human's question. These humans weren't all afraid of him.

He helpfully replies, "I see no hobgoblins now." Pointing a nearby building, he says, "I could climb up there and look." He starts to lumber toward the building.
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 26, 2013, 12:37:32 am »

I will note that when I put the "bloodied" status on a monster, it means it's lost more than half its hitpoints. That should give you a decent idea of what its total hitpoints are.

((Just so you're aware, I'm not good at going back to see what's been done in the past. At least not enough to make it a habit. So I won't know how much damage has been dealt. That isn't a reason to change things; I'll just gauge as best as I can whether the villains are low or not.))
A man has no signature

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 26, 2013, 02:04:32 am »

[I will note that when I put the "bloodied" status on a monster, it means it's lost more than half its hitpoints. That should give you a decent idea of what its total hitpoints are.

If that proves insufficient after a few combats, I'm more than willing to reevaluate. I could also put the minimum and maximum hitpoints you can calculate from that up front; maybe I'll do that.

Also, can't you only change manifestations once per day?]
[That'll be fine, and I can change my manifestation whenever I take a short or extended rest.  It's that other feat that will let me do it as a minor action once per day]

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 26, 2013, 02:10:43 am »

The lieutenant then approaches Merik. "What happened here? Are there any more hobgoblins in the immediate area?"
"These hobgoblins seem to have been running amok in the city burning things left and right, we were only able to save some of the people in that bar over there.

I think we found where all the fire bombs were coming from. I think they've been... um... rendered unusable now. I'd imagine there are some goblins still around, it'd take more than a dozen or so to cause this much damage. Haven't seen them myself though."

WinterSpartan

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 26, 2013, 07:24:12 am »

"These hobgoblins seem to have been running amok in the city burning things left and right, we were only able to save some of the people in that bar over there.

I think we found where all the fire bombs were coming from. I think they've been... um... rendered unusable now. I'd imagine there are some goblins still around, it'd take more than a dozen or so to cause this much damage. Haven't seen them myself though."

"There were certainly more than a dozen. Just over an hour ago, they suddenly attacked two of the city gates. With an ogre in each strike force, they were able to break into the city. Most of the guards are fighting the main body of hobgoblins, but when some scattered - presumably to attack specific objectives - we were sent to hunt them down. If this group is dead, I'll continue my sweep through the city and return to the column." He pauses and scans the skyline, where there is already noticeably less smoke. "I think we've stopped them... but so many good men and innocent bystanders have died tonight."

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 26, 2013, 09:11:11 am »

"So the worst is over for now? Do you have any idea where they came from, or what they were targeting?"

WinterSpartan

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 26, 2013, 09:36:19 pm »

"Right now, your guess is as good as mine." He frowns. "I would recommend talking to one of the city councilors tomorrow once this has subsided. Councilor Troyas would probably be your best bet; he's new on the council and easier to get access to. He'll know what's going on, and could tell you how you might be able to help us."

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 27, 2013, 10:09:11 am »

Upon hearing the lieutenant's assessment that the danger is over for now, Hroksull turned around and rejoined the others.

Reverting back to the tongue common among humans, he said, "I would like to meet Troyas too. I do not like seeing this town hurt like this. You seem good people."

An idea struck him. "You want I keep watch for nighttime attack? I sleep a bit and then walk around at night."

Hroksull turned to the other survivors of the tavern attack. "You fight bravely. Maybe I join you? Name is Hroksull."
A man has no signature

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 27, 2013, 10:34:56 am »

"Join us?  In truth, I haven't yet met any of these brave souls; it would seem, though, that divine circumstance brought us together this evening.

I can't speak for any others but I, Derath, would be glad to have you by my side as I root out this scourge."

Then remembering that Hroksull isn't a native speaker, he reiterates the message using simpler language. "My name is Derath. You can join."
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 62  All

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.