Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 62  All

Author Topic: [D&D 4e] Chapter 1: Rescue at Rivenroar  (Read 129345 times)

WinterSpartan

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
[D&D 4e] Chapter 1: Rescue at Rivenroar
« on: June 06, 2013, 07:26:22 am »

Character Sheets:

Beleren - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5dX5gcSM5hHdk0zYnFaaUplVkk/edit?usp=sharing
Derath - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5dX5gcSM5hHWWx2OWk5UjJXRmM/edit?usp=sharing
Hroksull - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5dX5gcSM5hHMjJrclFnRUt3OUE/edit?usp=sharing
Merik - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5dX5gcSM5hHOGY5eW9aSHU4LUU/edit?usp=sharing
Veonis - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5dX5gcSM5hHUjctcV9aRTVPV2M/edit?usp=sharing

Current Status

Party Level 2 (XP 1070/2250)

Merik: HP 29/42, Surges 11/11, 1 Action Point, Earthsoul (+1 Fort)
AC 20, Fort 15, Reflex 15, Will 14

Veonis: HP 24/30, Surges 8/8, 1 Action Point
AC 19, Fort 12, Reflex 14, Will 16

Hroksull: HP 36/36, Surges 8/8, 1 Action Point
AC 16, Fort 16, Reflex 14, Will 14

Derath: HP 24/28, Surges 7/8, 1 Action Point
AC 17, Fort 15, Reflex 15, Will 17

Beleren: HP 19/27, Surges 6/6, 0 Action Points
AC 16, Fort 15, Reflex 13, Will 18

Initiative order (active parties underlined):

Gnome Skulks
Merik, Hroksull, Veonis, Derath, Beleren
Panthers

Gnome Skulk
31-39 hp
Ac 16, Fort 14, Reflex 14, Will 12

Panther
50-55 hp
AC 18, Fort 16, Reflex 18, Will 15

The remaining gnome has taken 24 damage (bloodied!)
The panther has taken 29 damage (bloodied!) and has -2 AC until the end of Veonis's turn.

For one reason or another, your travels have brought you here, to the Antler & Thistle tavern near the town gate of Brindol. It's convenient for travelers, the food is decent, and the beer is good. As you step into the common room, you notice a few scattered patrons enjoying a drink or a meal, as well as three in the back playing a game of cards. The bartender is looking around the room as he polishes up some mugs. It appears to be a rather slow night; the room could comfortably seat many more patrons. There are two small storerooms in the back, with another door directly between them. A large stone fireplace burns low in the center of the room. The only noteworthy decoration seems to be a large, but old and tattered, banner with a red hand, which hangs behind the bar.

(OOC: I haven't presumed any of you have entered yet; I'll let each of you describe doing so, and what you do when you come in. Feel free to roleplay your characters meeting one another, or beginning to interact with any of the NPCs. They won't take much notice of the humans or the half-elf, but Hroksull's height and Merik's "unique complexion" will stand out.)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 09:59:54 pm by WinterSpartan »

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
    • View Profile
Re: [D&D 4e] Chapter 1: Rescue at Rivenroar
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 09:24:03 am »

Derath is confused. He has been told by the High Priest of his order to investigate the strange happenings in the Vale, so he has packed his traveling stuff and set out to the gate. The orders he had gotten hadn't been were precise, so when leaving the gate, he asked Erathis for her guidance and summoned a Hand of Fate. To his bewilderment, when he asked what direction he should set out in, the hand hadn't pointed out of the city, but back inside, to this tavern next to the Gate.
He doesn't understand how visiting this tavern would help him on mission, but who is he to question the wisdom of the Erathis? So heenters the tavern and orders a cup of watered wine, then sits down at one of the tables.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 10:47:06 am »

When Hroksull pushed the door to the Antlers and Thistle Inn, he did not expect it to swing so freely. The loud report announced his presence, not that Hroksull needed a herald. The inn's patrons stared as he stooped to squeeze his seven-and-a-half-feet-tall frame through the door. He quickly surveyed the room to assess any possible threats.

To his dismay, Hroksull did not see anyone that he felt would be a challenge. This would not be the place to make his first kill. The journey to Brindol disappointed him. Hroksull heard tales from the elders of rampaging monsters and rapacious bandits, but nothing attacked him on the road. He only met other travelers, none of whom posed a threat. In fact, the humans he encountered shied away from him as he traveled. Most of the people in this room similarly averted their gazes and scooted their seats a few inches farther away from him.

The bartender did not show any signs of fear. Unknown to Hroksull, others from his village came here before. Remembering what the village elders taught him about human settlements, Hroksull walked awkwardly to the bar, jostling two tables along the way. Cries of disgust reached his ears as mugs emptied their contents into the laps of their owners.

Not only did Hroksull fail to find adversity on his travels, but prey was equally sparse. His stomach grumbled in protest when the savory aroma of baked bread and roasted meat greeted him. He gravelly said, "Food?"

The bartender looked Hroksull up and down. The goliath's imposing size was made even more terrifying by the cacophony of tattoos winding across his hairless head, but the bartender had seen worse. His concern with Hroksull was not his size but money. "Sure, buddy," he drawled nonchalantly. "Do you have the money to pay for it all?"

The words shot across the bar far more quickly than Hroksull expected. The elders taught him the language of the humans, but he never held actual conversations. He expected humans to speak their words just as slowly as Hroksull did. The exchange surprised him, and he reeled back, knocking his elbow into the man sitting at the bar so hard that the human tumbled to the floor. Instinctively, Hroksull started to lean down to pick up the deposed human, but the look on the human's face told Hroksull that his help would not be welcomed.

Instead, Hroksull mulled over the bartender's quick speech. He identified the word, "money." Hroksull reached into his pouch and pulled out 20 gold coins. The elders explained to him that those outside the village cherished this metal and would willingly give away goods in exchange for some of the metal. They also explained that there were other metals, but they had been in the village for so long, they couldn't remember which metals were more valuable. In broken Common, Hroksull said, "Have 20 gold coins. Give you…" He wondered how much he could offer and still get food. It seemed like there was a lot of food here, and it smelled more succulent than anything he had growing up. "Give you 5?"
A man has no signature

WinterSpartan

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 05:21:12 pm »

The bartender's eyes widen a bit. "You're lucky I'm honest, friend," he says. "Most places they'd just have taken all 5." He pushes all but 1 of the gold pieces back to Hroksull, then pulls eight smaller silver coins from a pouch at his waist and adds those to the stack. "Now, just two of these - maybe three - should get you a meal most anywhere in these parts. If anyone tries to get more than that from you, they're cheating you."

As Hroksull tries to digest this information, he's presented with something much more familiar (and easy to digest). "Sit yourself down, enjoy your meal, and stay awhile. If you need anything else, you just let me know."

Derath - like everyone else in the tavern - can't help but notice the imposing entrance of the seven-foot goliath. Is this what you wanted me to wait for, my Lady? he wonders.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 05:39:00 pm by WinterSpartan »

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 05:35:30 pm »

[OOC I've just written stuff and was about to post but Winter ruined it for me now, will have to change a bit .:P How much can you eat for 1GP anyway?]

WinterSpartan

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 05:36:35 pm »

[OOC I've just written stuff and was about to post but Winter ruined it for me now, will have to change a bit .:P How much can you eat for 1GP anyway?]

(OOC) 1GP = 10 silver pieces (SP); 2SP will buy you a decent meal.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 05:38:31 pm by WinterSpartan »

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 05:38:31 pm »

[OOC, I'll consider that order of this introductory posts is chronological. My character would be most interested in the Genesi, but I'll assume he didn't "make an entrance" yet]

This was supposed to be easy. You're supposed to go out, find an adventure, slay the dragon, save the princess and get your well-earn piece of fame. Yet, since he has left his home, the closest that he has got to an "adventure", or a "job" even was tavern owners asking him to "magically" clear the floors or move some stock. Ugh, parlor magic. Bel refused, of course. And it has been almost two weeks already.

He came to new tavern today Antler & Thistle, early. He took a table at the far end. He always does so, so that he could listen to rumors and news and so. As usual, nothing of interest. Town gossip and dirty jokes. And this tavern did look promising, being near the gates and all. He has already finished his meal and been ordering, well, ice water (after few nights, he found that beer dampens his senses too much)  and reviewing his notes (while trying to listen for anything important going on).
Gi
Tavern became awfully quite when a giant figure walked in. He looked like standard-issue brute: big, strong, dumb and slow. Bel wouldn't give much attention to him, hadn't he bumped quite a few people and made a mess. Bel hasn't been in a bar fight yet, but he could see one coming. He slightly opened his robe and summoned his familiar. The dragonling was obviously annoyed, as he was sure Bel was summoning him to for some trivialities again (and he was right). Bel ordered him to fly up and behind this huge character and "be ready if trouble happens". 'Yeah, sure.', Ashe said 'You should get yourself an owl and stop bothering me with this meaningless tasks.' Reluctantly, Ashe did what his master asked of him.

Then, the giant thing at the bar, it spoke. 'Food', Goliath said said. 'Of course' Bel though. But when Bel saw that the brute didn't even realize the concept and worth of money, Bel barely contained himself from bursting into laughter.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 05:48:44 pm »

The honesty of the bartender pleases Derath greatly. Most would have taken advantage of that beast's ignorance, and broken the laws of hospitality Erathis had decreed. And after he has loudly demonstrated his naivity, surely some of those who had heard it will try. His parents sure would have done that, and Brok would have done it as well. But he's not Brok anymore, and those thieves aren't his parents. Now he is Derath, reborn as child of Erathis and her humble servant.

But surely this creature is a sign from the goddess, why else would her hand have guided him this way. It hasn't been to a city before, that's obvious to him, so it must have come from outside. Maybe it knows what's going on in the Vale.

So he approaches the beast, though its belching greatly disturbs him, and says: Be greeted in the name of Erathis. What leads you into this city?

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 06:28:55 pm »

Hroksull nodded sheepishly at the bartender and performed some calculations in his head. "Yellow metal wanted more than grey metal," he muttered. "Elder Hurn did know better about human money than Elder Thaquina." He pocketed the money that was returned to him. He paused briefly and then retrieved one of the gold coins. He planted it on top of the bar with a thick finger and slid it to the bartender. "You have fed me. Now I feed you and yours. Thank you for explaining that."

He greedily ate his meal, aware that people were moving away from him but not aware of why. He basked in the warmth that the food gave him and thought about where he should go next. He left on his pilgrimage to find adversity, and he instead found hospitality amid a sea of fear and trepidation. A voice caught his attention, saying, "Be greeted in the name of Erathis. What leads you into this city?" Hroksull continued mopping the last of his soup with bread. He caught the bartender looking pointedly at him. When Hroksull met the bartender's gaze, the human's eyes shifted to the origin of the voice.

"Oh!" exclaimed Hroksull. He had been so used to humans talking around him that it startled him to be addressed directly by one. How luck had found him. He traveled for days without any company, and now two humans had politely talked with him. Trying to remember the manners that the elders taught him, he spoke slowly and deliberately, taking care to use the correct word in Common and not in Giant. "Kord calls for us to prove ourselves. I have spent 17 summers learning to fight so that I may take this journey. I have heard cities are good for companionship. No man should walk the earth alone." He pondered this and ruefully added, "But I did walk alone and found nothing to challenge me. If this keeps up, I will die alone."
A man has no signature

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 07:47:42 pm »

[Do I recognize that Hroskull is Goliath? If I do, what do I know about them?]

"Well, cry me a river" Bel thought. But this "journey" quite a lot like an "adventure", so he continued to listen.

WinterSpartan

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 11:11:16 pm »

[Do I recognize that Hroskull is Goliath? If I do, what do I know about them?]

"Well, cry me a river" Bel thought. But this "journey" quite a lot like an "adventure", so he continued to listen.

Nature check for you:
Rolled 1d20 : 11, total 11

WinterSpartan

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 11:13:43 pm »

Beleren recognizes that Hroskull is a Goliath, but doesn't know much more than that. Just that they're big (which has recently become rather obvious, as Hroskull's a good few inches past seven feet tall) and live in the mountains and desert to the south.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 12:07:54 am »

"Ugh, the big city."  Merik thinks as he walks in with a bit of a scowl on his face.  "I didn't think I'd have to come back here." But cities were usually the best place to find work, and Merik sure could use some.

Merik pauses for a second upon seeing the Goliath at the bar, but makes for it upon seeing that the giant appears to be pleasantly talking to a priest nearby.

"Bitter Black, and put a bit of cinnamon in it." It was Merik's drink of choice. He couldn't get enough of the bitter ale mixed with the heat of the spices. And Kord knows that he needs a little alcohol in him before he tries to negotiate prices with anyone interested in hiring him. Merik puts some coin on the table, stares at the torn banner, and casually listens in on the conversation next to him.

History for the banner
Rolled 1d20+9 : 12 + 9, total 21
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Gveoniz

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 12:46:09 am »

[I was quite sick earlier, I will post mine as soon as possible.]

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 04:39:26 am »

[Do I recognize what Merik is/what do I know about Genasi? I guess Arcana Check?]

« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 06:53:59 am by Grujah »

Gveoniz

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2013, 06:15:11 am »

[OOC: I think Veonis is the last one to enter the tavern? And he has zero coins in the pdf, is it true of it is just an error?]

Veonis has spent all day on the road, He is glad to find a tavern and takes some rest at last. He sits down at one of the table, and looks around to see if there are any interesting person. A tough person chatting with a priest, and a man with strange complexion, He think he have seen similar men before, in his long journey after leaving his tutor, but seldom.

[Do Veonis knows what Hroskull and Merik are?]

But then he look into his pocket, it is near empty again. "I guess I still need to do some work tonight then" he sighs. He walked towards the bartender. "Do this tavern need any entertain work? I know how to play some music. If the patrons are happy, I believe everyone here can have a better outcome."

WinterSpartan

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2013, 07:07:34 am »

Though Merik's never seen the banner before, he's sharp enough to put two and two together. The Red Hand's attacks nearly destroyed Brindol a century ago; several trophies from those attacks are housed in a museum of sorts, called the Hall of Great Valor, but private families kept trophies of their own. This banner would seem to be one such spoil of war, taken by the bartender's great-grandfather perhaps.

[Do I recognize what Merik is/what do I know about Genasi? I guess Arcana Check?]
Rolled 1d20+6 : 11 + 6, total 17

[OOC: I think Veonis is the last one to enter the tavern? And he has zero coins in the pdf, is it true of it is just an error?]
[OOC: Sadly, it is not an error. You had a ridiculous amount of gear you needed to start with, and that used all of your starting cash.]

[Do Veonis knows what Hroskull and Merik are?]
Nature check:
Rolled 1d20+4 : 19 + 4, total 23

Arcana check:
Rolled 1d20+6 : 2 + 6, total 8

WinterSpartan

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2013, 07:16:42 am »

The bartender looks at Veonis and shrugs. "Need's a bit of a strong word, but if you want to play, be my guest. Maybe you'll get some tips. If you're good, supper'll be on the house."

Veonis is quite familiar with goliaths and their habits; in his travels, he's even met a few. Reclusive, nomadic, and fond of a challenge they may be, but he's found that they can make fine companions. He has no idea what the other strange creature might be, though...

Beleren, on the other hand, instantly recognizes Merik as a genasi, though he's surprised to see one here since he knows they're from the Elemental Chaos. He knows about the five elements they may manifest - earth, air, fire, thunder, and water - and that some are tied to multiple elements. This genasi, at least for now, is an earthsoul, so Beleren would expect him to be cautious and slow to speak. (Beleren may very well be WRONG, in this particular instance, since Merik has another element, but that's not apparent to the eye).
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 07:17:43 am by WinterSpartan »

Gveoniz

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2013, 07:48:49 am »

"Thank you," said Veonis to the bartender, then he take out his flute, walked to a proper position and started playing.  "Hopefully I can have a good performance." he talks to himself. Then he starts concentrate on his own music.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2013, 08:38:54 am »

[OOC: Not sure if Hroksull's Passive Perception would notice the dragonling lurking above. Not sure if it was trying to be sneaky or not. If he does notice it, he'll keep staring at it and keep his hands near his weapons. He's not hot-headed enough to attack anything weird, but he's not very subtle when staring down potential danger.]
A man has no signature

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2013, 09:43:18 am »

[nature check to find out how much i know about goliaths:
Rolled 1d20+4 : 11 + 4, total 15
]

He didn't meet anything challenging on the way through the wilderness? That beast was either not easy to impress, or Erathis had protected him on his way here so he could meet him.
"I have heard stories of Goblins, Orc, and even worse roaming the wilderness. Hasn't anything attacked you on your journey?" he asks.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2013, 10:53:38 am »

Hroksull's face fell at the human's question. Shaking his head ruefully, he replied, "No. There is nothing that dares approach my village. The elders have already hunted them all. I hoped to find something here. I wonder if I angered Kord somehow."

Realization struck the goliath, and he remembered what he was taught before embarking on his pilgrimage. "My name is Hroksull. It is...." He fumbled over the translation, "pleasant to meet your acquaintance." His brows furrowed as he rebuked himself for not getting the right word. He hoped that the human wouldn't notice, but the flummoxed look on his face belied his nervousness.
A man has no signature

WinterSpartan

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2013, 05:08:17 pm »

[nature check to find out how much i know about goliaths: This dice roll may have been tampered with!
Rolled 1d20+4 : 11 + 4, total 15]

(OOC: About the same as Beleren.)

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2013, 05:44:48 pm »

Bel has almost forgotten about the hulking giant once he saw a Genasi enter. Whoah. He shifted all of his attention to the humanoid elemental when it struck him.

All that magical, inborn potential and he.. seems.. to be fighthing.. with.. a sword. Why, in Correlon's name? Why waste your powers so? Terrible.
And then the damn bard started singing. Even worse.

[Perception to see if I hear what Hroskul and Derath are talking about?
'd20' is not a valid dice string!
]

[OOC: We should have chosen easier names, I keep confusing it. Too many Aeriths, too few Bobs].

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2013, 05:45:04 pm »

Rolled 1d20 : 13, total 13
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 62  All

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 16 queries.