Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: IRL Dominion setup  (Read 13869 times)

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
IRL Dominion setup
« on: November 28, 2012, 06:33:49 pm »

I've seen a lot of different ways people organize their stuff when playing IRL. I've attached an image of the layout I use when playing. It's interesting because I'm CDO enough that there are lots of things I'm very particular about. I'll share them with you, and maybe you could share yours with me!

All of the components (tokens, mats, etc.) have their own spot. I never put the pirate ship tokens on the right, even if there are not VP tokens there.

When there are VP tokens available in a game, I give each player four ones and make the container of fives available to everybody. To denote 0-4, I just flag down the ones I have, so in the picture I would have 2 VP tokens plus any fives I have. I think this was the intent because there were exactly 16 ones included in my set, which is enough for a 4-player game.

One other thing I always do: I make sure all my cards face the same way when I discard them, and I shuffle so that none get flipped over. That way, when I draw my hand, it's always all face-up.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
Re: IRL Dominion setup
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 08:00:59 pm »

I don't see an attached picture.

I don't tend to be very particular about placing things like tokens and mats, but I almost always arrange things into two rows of 5, with cheapest cards on the left and most expensive on the right (it kinda peeves me that Goko almost does this, but does it in rows, so you can have e.g. $4 cards in the bottom right and top left corners, instead of in a single block)
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 08:17:22 pm »

Not sure what's wrong with the picture, I can see it. Is anyone else having the same trouble?

The picture is just of my play area, not of the way the kingdom/supply is set up.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 08:20:23 pm »

It says there's an attachment. I can't see it.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

DsnowMan

• Bishop
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 08:48:47 pm »

I can see it fine. It's embedded inline, and I can also click to download. Wheeee.

It generally looks like what I do. But I'm only a little OCD, so I'm not going to make a picture.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 08:56:35 pm »

I can see the attachment.  Something wrong on your end, Tables?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 09:02:23 pm »

I can see the paper clip icon indicating an attachment, but there is no way for me to view or download it.  There is a sliver on the right side of the post, just barely visible.  Clicking it allows me to download it.  Maybe there is an issue with the forum layout or something.

TWoos

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 09:13:20 pm »

I couldn't see it either, until I highlighted the post, trying to select it.  Suddenly, the post scrolled left and there it was.  Very odd.

thirtyseven

• Duke
  • Respect: +475
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 09:20:54 pm »

OP and all else interested, I dug up the old thread about this very subject:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=1972.msg31264#msg31264

I can't see the picture attachment either, by the way. I'm on Google Chrome.
I'm only a mid-level player, so I may be wrong...

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 09:25:34 pm »

I am also unable to see attachment.

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +275
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 09:48:59 pm »

I am also unable to see attachment.
Me neither.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 09:53:17 pm »

I couldn't see it either, until I highlighted the post, trying to select it.  Suddenly, the post scrolled left and there it was.  Very odd.

Ah, right.

The attachment used to show up below the main content of the post.  Not sure what has happened since.  Has the forum css been changed?

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 11:00:25 pm »

i can see it fine now
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 11:42:32 pm »

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 11:45:07 pm »

huh. I put anything anywhere. the decks and discards are to the right, and the play area is to the left though.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2012, 02:36:47 am »
+1

huh. I put anything anywhere. the decks and discards are to the right, and the play area is to the left though.
I usually shift my deck and discard locations at least 3 times throughout the game.  :o

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2012, 03:26:28 am »

When there are VP tokens available in a game, I give each player four ones and make the container of fives available to everybody. To denote 0-4, I just flag down the ones I have, so in the picture I would have 2 VP tokens plus any fives I have. I think this was the intent because there were exactly 16 ones included in my set, which is enough for a 4-player game.

If you use VP tokens in the natural way, but always change up to 5's when you can, then you also need a maximum of 16 VP tokens. :)

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2012, 08:02:18 am »

If you use VP tokens in the natural way, but always change up to 5's when you can, then you also need a maximum of 16 VP tokens. :)

Understood. And of course I'm CDO about changing them out whenever I can, but since people rarely score 5 or more VP tokens in one turn, most others are happy to just continue to take ones the whole game. This is a nice way of forcing them to not do that.

Also, the "natural way" I find a little bit of a pain. I don't know of a way to score VP tokens that involves less movement than this, since you're either picking up ones off the table, which can be rough sometimes, or you're doing a lot of reaching to make change every once in a while.

aaron0013

• Explorer
  • Respect: +220
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2012, 08:22:32 am »
+1

For people using Chrome who are unable to see the OP's image, you have to scroll right.  If you can't do that, thy highlighting the post and moving your cursor to the right of the post.  It should scroll.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2012, 08:32:37 am »

For people using Chrome who are unable to see the OP's image, you have to scroll right.  If you can't do that, thy highlighting the post and moving your cursor to the right of the post.  It should scroll.

This worked

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2012, 10:52:56 am »

I've seen a lot of different ways people organize their stuff when playing IRL. I've attached an image of the layout I use when playing. It's interesting because I'm CDO enough that there are lots of things I'm very particular about. I'll share them with you, and maybe you could share yours with me!

You're a collateralized debt obligation? jk

I like to have my draw and discards next to each other (discard just to the right of draw). I try to play actions/durations above or to the left of my deck. And I try to obey the suggested "durations descend" mechanic and keep two levels of play area when there are durations. How much space I have to work with on the table (depending on the number of players) matters, though.

All of the components (tokens, mats, etc.) have their own spot. I never put the pirate ship tokens on the right, even if there are not VP tokens there.

When I play with all three mats (Island, Pirate Ship, NV), they MUST all go in a row next to each other. They are all part of the same picture. I can't imagine splitting them up! I try to keep all mats in (VP mat, too) together in a space to the right of the play area and deck/discard. But it depends on the table space.

What a great idea!! We usually have a banker who trades 5 ones out when necessary, and it's kind of a pain.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2012, 11:08:13 am »
+1

Ah. I don't carry around those mats with me, since it doesn't work well with my storage solution.

...and CDO is just OCD, but with the letters in the correct order  :P

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2012, 02:59:45 pm »
+2

I always have my play area in front of me with my deck to the left and my discard to the right.  That way cards naturally flow from left to right.  Where everything else goes depends on where I'm playing, how much space is available, etc.
Well you *do* need a signature...

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2012, 03:15:36 pm »
+1

For me, the play area doesn't matter.  I'm usually playing on a small table where I don't have the luxury of organizing that.  What I am incredibly particular about is the set-up of the kingdom.

C     P     D     E     C
                                (T)
P     G     S     C     P

K     K     K      K     K
                                (B)
K     K     K      K     K

Victory on top, money underneath, followed by the kingdom cards.  The kingdom cards must be organized from most expensive to least expensive going from upper left to lower right.  If a bane (or any other action related extra pile) is present, it goes to the far right in between the two rows of kingdom cards.  Treasure related extra piles go in the treasure row.  My friends have learned to just let me do the set up and either get the starting decks prepared or hand me stacks.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 04:33:22 pm by shark_bait »
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2012, 03:35:44 pm »
+2

Usually when we're setting up the kingdom, I take the supply cards box, which contains everything except the kingdom cards, and my opponent(s) split up the three boxes full of kingdom cards. With two opponents, they can power through the kingdom cards by the time I'm done putting out the supply piles. With one opponent, he usually takes two kingdom card boxes and I do the third and he ends up waiting on me a bit. I keep the starting decks separated in the supply cards box. Yes, I realize that this means in 2/3 player games I'm not playing with enough copper in the supply, and yes, I realize I could remedy this by taking some extra treasure cards from Intrigue and adding them to the supply; but no, I do not care enough to do this.

Between games, I rarely touch the supply cards box, but if it needs touching I'm always the one to do it. It's very easy to miss that we need VP tokens or Trade Route tokens this game but I'm decent at catching those kind of things. The only danger of messing things up is when my opponent gets 12 kingdom victory cards out in a 2-player game (or puts cards away facing the wrong direction! AAH!)

I have an app that decides the kingdom for me, it's Dominion Shuffle by Joran Jessurun (for Android). I guess it's still getting updates, even though I thought it wasn't. I tried to get an Android App development environment set up on my home computer so I could either tweak that app or write my own, but that didn't work out and their tutorials/forums aren't competent/motivated enough to help me fix whatever is wrong. I'd like the app to put a little reminder at the bottom that VP Tokens will be used, Potions will be used, Curses will be used, etc. I'd also like for it to support veto mode, but alas...

Yeah I only get the curses out when they're needed. Less clutter helps me sleep at night. I know it's wrong, but you know what I always say: "If it feels good, do it." I get them out when Ambassador, Fairgrounds, and Watchtower are present (individually). I've never heard of someone buying a curse to help their Menageries draw, but if I see one log where it works, I'ma totally start doing it. Also, when someone is taking a long time to think about what they're going to buy, it's always fun to say "I can get the curses out if you want"
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 2.306 seconds with 20 queries.