Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 66  All

Author Topic: Mafia Game Index  (Read 145326 times)

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Game Index
« Reply #300 on: January 11, 2013, 07:10:20 pm »

BMVII isn't over until Morgrim says so.
Vote: Watno

Oh heavens man, please, please, PLEASE let BM-VII be over

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 12, 2013, 10:16:10 pm »

Might be getting in line for a normal Mafia game. Have a cool idea for a game, but already have 2 in the queue.

If people are fine with me running that many games, I'll sign up for a spot. But if people who haven't modded before want to cut me in line, they of course can. Especially if this would start when any of my other games are running.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 12, 2013, 10:24:36 pm »

Meh. Might as well sign up.

MXXV: Archetype

Will have the name/spoilers when I get all the kinks worked out.

Let's just say that players with power roles may end up having their powers taken...

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 15, 2013, 07:26:43 pm »

Okay, so we're down to one RMM game, and Volt's should be good to go soon.  I am next in that queue, and that game is about ready, so I can open sign-ups in a week or so.

Whenever shraeye gets around to play Major Arcana II, we should be down to one mafia game, and we can start the newbie game up.

Robz, you should be getting ready for sign ups in a week or two.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 15, 2013, 07:28:09 pm »

Yep I'll be ready. Just trying to slow the pace of new games a bit. Seems like people are a tad fatigued.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 15, 2013, 07:29:42 pm »

Yep I'll be ready. Just trying to slow the pace of new games a bit. Seems like people are a tad fatigued.

Right.  I think sign-ups in a week or two will get people back to craving PMs.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 15, 2013, 07:44:06 pm »

Erm......
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 15, 2013, 07:44:41 pm »

Erm......

I believe you have your own category, by your own request.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 15, 2013, 08:12:05 pm »

It was sitting waiting for role madness games to end so there were not too many wacky and crazy games going at once. This is why i had the discussion in this thread with Volt and he kindly said he would wait.

Is nobody else reading all the comments about people not having time to read one mafia game because they are in another thats taking up all their time, or not having time to play all of the current games they are in?!

Is nobody else seeing people sign up for blitz games and then be too busy elsewhere to post in them more than a few times?! Whats the point of signing up for a BLITZ game if you're too busy?!

Is nobody else seeing that the bastard games used to be fun, now they are just souless and empty because people don't seem to care? The last game i was in was great fun (dsells) but 75% of the people signed up and didnt bother beause their time is marginalised and its the first to go? Remember the first bastard games? How much fun they were?

Even the normal games now are absolutely crazy rules wise (which isnt a bad thing really, but crazy games take so much more effort)

Is nobody else seeing the increased level of upset these days as people get frustrated with roles and other peples actions? Ushed further by the so many mods trying to make their game unique and special. We lost Frisk, we possibly lost Insomniac and Galz today as well.

Do people actually ENJOY these games anymore or are they just playing them out of obligation? Because i've been reading threads and QTs and it seems like they dont as much as they used too. So so much moaning and snapping and shouting.

I tried to warn you all about this months ago, and I was hoping it was just me being wrong, but guess not. I tried to suggest an actual system and got largely ignored, as did other people recently, and everyone nodded thier heads sagely and then went on doing exactly the same thing.

On the other hand, we got a load of cool new people about (hey guys!), but that seems to have just meant bigger games

Its got such heavy atmosphere round here i have often found myself playing Dominion instead......on GOKO!

Nevermind, my game isnt full anyways, possibly because i dont send out pms to all forum players (i think i personally asked one person, possibly two) or writing in other game threads pleading  for people to join in, or changing the rules frequently to try to appease or interest more people.  And after this rant i doubt anyone will still want to play it, heh.

Just remember guys, this is for entertainment its not supposed to e work.

/Ozle rant over

Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 15, 2013, 08:45:15 pm »

I think the fact we have 20 non mafia games going is also a factor. I do agree it has been busy lately, but sometimes mods get too excited and open more games at once, it happens. I'm sure it will slow down, cant find our limits unless we test them.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 15, 2013, 09:42:13 pm »

1. I am perfectly ok with having a system in place. I'll vote: Ozle to be in charge of it, or ash, or Galz... or whomever.

2. I think we are at an ok point with the number of mafia games... that is just me personally. I limit myself. I choose to not play in everything. But that is just me and I wouldn't want to insist that my way of doing things is any better than someone else's

3. I would prefer to see simpler set ups. Especially in the "normal games." Save the crazy ideas for Role Madness and leave normal to be normal. But again that is just one opinion and might not be what everyone else wants.

4. I think a lot of the frustration and "hostility" comes for from our really getting to know each other. It is hard to offend a stranger, but very easy to offend a friend. It is also because as we play more we become better and we become more competitive. But I think it is faulty logic to deduce that this hostility is a result from too many games going on, and if it is I think the better solution is for those players who are prone to such feelings to play less games, rather than mandate there be less games in general. But again, that is my opinion and others might disagree.

5. Something... Oh yes. I don't think many players are joining out of obligation. Maybe some are... I know Galz did for a few, but if anyone can handle that I think he can. Or perhaps there is this sense of obligation. I think smaller games will solve this problem--and again I prefer smaller, simpler games--as some games do struggle to fill up and then players perhaps get a bit guilted into playing so the game can start...

6. something else... I can't remember.... oh yes... I remember. I have said before that I have no problem with sign up threads being open for extended periods of time. This allows me to pick and choose what games I want to be in. Some games I want to be in, some games I don't. But I do want to be in at least one game at any given moment--selfish, yes, but it is what I want--so the more options there are out there, the more likely I am to be in a game that I am interested in.

Those are my thoughts. I would agree to a system, but I don't think fds mafia is quite as bad as you make it out to be. But yes, this is supposed to be fun. And it is, most of the time. I am sorry you don't think it is anymore, but I think most of us are still having a blast.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 15, 2013, 09:57:54 pm »

I mean, we sort of do have a system with ash in charge of it. I think he's doing fine, and there's a natural ebb and flow to how many games are going on at once. I think we just maxed out, it's slowing down now, and we'll pick up again in a week or two. I see no problem (other than some people needing to tilt their play/mod ration more toward playing). And of course no one should feel obligated to sign up. I sign up for all games because I want to play all games. Especially all normal and blitz games; if we ever have this many role madness and bastard games kicking at once again, I will wish I wasn't in all of them.

But largely I think things are fine. And the increased hostility is manifestly a byproduct of us getting better at this game while simultaneously knowing each other better. I used to play mafia with my friends all the time, and the same thing happened. The same think happens with Risk, and Diplomacy, and Settlers of Catan.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 15, 2013, 10:02:23 pm »

I'm trying to include more info in the OP of this thread to help out.  I don't know if everyone uses this thread to track what's out there, though.

I moved Ozle's game up to the top, at least, as that one has been waiting for awhile, along with Shakespeare.

I agree with yuma in that sign-ups being open for awhile is okay, and allows for more people to change their minds and in or out when they want.  I still think 2 regular, 1/2 RMM, 1 BM, and 1 Blitz is the goal for ongoing games.  We'll bleed up and down on that as seen, but it works out.  That's why I'm trying to keep days and nights next to the games.

But take right now, for example.  We have no regular mafia games active (I mean, Major Arcana II is just waiting for shraeye to vote) since DS9 is in night, but we're not pushing to open the next game until MAII ends anyway.  Mafia Noir is just underway and will get the attention it deserves now.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 15, 2013, 10:06:38 pm »

Nevermind, my game isnt full anyways, possibly because i dont send out pms to all forum players (i think i personally asked one person, possibly two) or writing in other game threads pleading  for people to join in, or changing the rules frequently to try to appease or interest more people.  And after this rant i doubt anyone will still want to play it, heh.

>_>

--

I do think a system should be implemented. I know ashersky suggested one a while ago that I liked. Let me go find it...

Here it is!

1. no more than 2 "regular" mafia games going at once, never to be on the same day as each other
2. no more than 2 "RMM" mafia games going at once, never to be on the same day as each other
3. no more than 1 "bastard" mafia game going at once (not as good on this point)
4. no more than 1 of any other type of game going at once (blitz, etc.)

...Except I think there should only be 1 RMM game going on at a time. The line between it and a BM game can be fuzzy at times.

I also think that bankable times are the way of the future (barring Blitz games, etc). I think the reason they haven't worked is because of the amount of games that are going on, wasting some of the banked time.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 15, 2013, 10:07:59 pm »

>_>

That was a jab at me, too, Arch.  You are not alone in the cone of Ozle-imposed shame.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: January 15, 2013, 10:11:46 pm »

>_>

That was a jab at me, too, Arch.  You are not alone in the cone of Ozle-imposed shame.
I thought so. With the "writing in other game threads pleading for people to join in"

I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but I'll probably just keep any open for sign ups games in my sig from now on instead of publicly announcing.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 15, 2013, 10:13:01 pm »

>_>

I thought so. With the "writing in other game threads pleading for people to join in"

I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but I'll probably just keep any open for sign ups games in my sig from now on instead of publicly announcing.

And the rule-changes thing.  You know, Blitzes and all that.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 15, 2013, 10:17:19 pm »

>_>

And the rule-changes thing.  You know, Blitzes and all that.
I wouldn't call that rulechanging, more like updating, which all players knew was going to happen.

Mine wasn't exactly rule-changing either, just themed...in a way. Nothing was changed, eHalc can verify if people request.

sparky5856

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 15, 2013, 10:44:42 pm »

I feel like I should chime in since I'm partially responsible for the "hostility" debate.

Part of the hostility does come from the fact that mafia IS treated like an obligation and not like a game, imo. I was obligated to sign up for the Star Trek game, and it was too much for me. The whole point of a game is for entertainment, but because we invest so much effort into these games, it very often feels like more than that. If this is considered by everyone, then everything should flow more smoothly.

The obligation also has to do with the scummy reputation lurkers have had. If you're lurking (i.e. if you're not obligated to the game), you're scummy and you should get lynched. They then get pressured to play more.... really, investing more time into the game.

I agree with simpler setups and fewer games, that makes things less crazy. I would also be against disclosing setup information, as that took an ugly turn with MA mafia II. (In the end, that turn was very hard to foresee, and the only way to amend that is to discuss about it.) Mafia w/ massclaims doesn't feel like normal mafia. At the first forum that I played mafia in, you couldn't roleclaim. That mafia I enjoyed.

I made my outburst without realizing any of this, that's why I feel like I should provide input, because now players are leaving partially because of it. I ultimately agree that amends are necessary.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 15, 2013, 10:54:19 pm »

I was obligated to sign up for the Star Trek game, and it was too much for me.

You were not obligated! That is bull and a lame excuse for your outburst.

here is your sign up quote:

MOVE OUT OF THE WAY PEOPLE THE LURKER IS SIGNING UP

/in

I know very little about Star Trek but I have a feeling this will be good.

In that thread there is nothing pressuring you specifically to sign up. You are a free agent. You can sign up for what you want to. No one is going to make you feel bad for not doing so. You choose to sign up. You. So don't pass this onto someone else...

as for lurking. Sure we don't like lurkers, but that is because lurking is a strategy that people use. But again, no one is forcing you to play. So if you don't have time don't play.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: January 15, 2013, 11:46:39 pm »

we possibly lost Insomniac and Galz today as well.

Wait, what?  I don't follow all games.  What in the world did I miss?

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 15, 2013, 11:47:53 pm »

The Blitz game.

sparky5856

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 15, 2013, 11:49:12 pm »

sparky, I know you want to play my cool Star Trek game.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 15, 2013, 11:57:12 pm »

But they've both been active elsewhere, so hopefully that means they're both ok.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 16, 2013, 12:01:37 am »

+1 yuma's and robz's longer posts, agreeeeed.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 66  All

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 16 queries.