Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 164  All

Author Topic: Mafia XI: Find Yourself in the Courtyard Masquerade -- GAME OVER, TOWN WINS  (Read 318865 times)

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XI: Find Yourself in the Courtyard Masquerade -- DAY 1, PM MOD FOR SPEC QT
« Reply #1025 on: September 21, 2012, 01:59:24 pm »

We seem to like easy wagons. Too bad easy wagons suck.

CF is pretty town atm.
Then start a better one, or I'm going to ragevote you for playstyle.

Why do you think CF is town? Explain.

Ehunt's play is quite different from the norm and he's been town every other time. I've already suggested Ehunt.

I think CF is town because I don't honestly believe scum CF would propose such a wholly stupid idea. He's not really an attention grabber as scum- I should know, I was scum with him MVIII and MIX.
Thank you.

I personally think ehunt's change in behavior could stem from a concious attempt to behave differently in a big game, thinking it was for the best (see: the whole one-post-a-day debacle). I take it you don't find that a likely possibility?

His theories about the town not sharing information - is that a change from his past self?

I appreciate your help here, I haven't played with ehunt before.

he's quite different from town-ehunt in my MVI aswell, which was still quite large.

Ehunt is usually active and has a calm cool head (except when he's drunk or about to be lynched), and consistent meta. This game breaks all of that.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XI: Find Yourself in the Courtyard Masquerade -- DAY 1, PM MOD FOR SPEC QT
« Reply #1026 on: September 21, 2012, 02:02:43 pm »

he's quite different from town-ehunt in my MVI aswell, which was still quite large.

Ehunt is usually active and has a calm cool head (except when he's drunk or about to be lynched), and consistent meta. This game breaks all of that.

Huh, he hasn't seemed that different to me.  But the "usually active" thing doesn't really make a difference to me.  He said he would post less before he received his role.  Has he been particularly jumpy this game?

OK, fine, I'll re-read ehunt too.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: September 21, 2012, 02:46:22 pm »

Huh, he hasn't seemed that different to me.  But the "usually active" thing doesn't really make a difference to me.  He said he would post less before he received his role.  Has he been particularly jumpy this game?

OK, fine, I'll re-read ehunt too.
I agree with O on both counts here. I find Frisk towny, and ehunt at the very least quite different.
If I havent said it yet, I support the soft deadline idea. And I too will be trying to reread this thing to form better opinions.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: September 21, 2012, 03:13:13 pm »

The contention on CF (pushed by... Voltaire?) is that he hasn't contributed anything at all and has just laid low all game.  So it's worth reading back to check on that, I guess.

I'll re-read sometime over the weekend, I think.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: September 21, 2012, 03:18:26 pm »

The contention on CF (pushed by... Voltaire?) is that he hasn't contributed anything at all and has just laid low all game.  So it's worth reading back to check on that, I guess.

I'll re-read sometime over the weekend, I think.
Yup, that's my argument. I'll proudly own this (hopeful) wagon. Others are voting for him based on his dayvig idea.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: September 21, 2012, 03:26:55 pm »

Thanks, O, for your content on page 41.  Opinions and explanations like those are much better than short 1 sentence summaries of situations.  That's the town-help that I've been hoping to see from you.  Unvote

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XI: Find Yourself in the Courtyard Masquerade -- GAME START, DAY 1
« Reply #1031 on: September 21, 2012, 03:33:37 pm »

Vote Count 1.16

shraeye (3) -- Axxle, ftl
ehunt (1) -- Eevee
Glooble (1) -- yuma
TheMunch (1) -- Captain_Frisk
Grujah (2) -- Glooble, Morgrim7
Voltaire (1) -- Insomniac
Captain_Frisk (3) -- Watno, Voltaire, Cuzz
eHalcyon (1) -- Voltgloss
Young Nick (1) -- cayvie
cayvie (1) -- Young Nick
Watno (2) -- TheMunch, jotheonah

Not Voting (9) -- Dsell, Galzria, ashersky, Grujah, ibgtennis, O, eHalcyon, ehunt, shraeye

With 25 alive it takes 13 to lynch. Day 1 deadline is Saturday, September 29th at 1:00 PM (EDT)
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: September 21, 2012, 03:47:54 pm »

Watno kinda reminds me of myself, when I have a subtle idea that I am having trouble getting across, and the more I try to explain it, the more frustrated I get, and the less sense I make to others.
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: September 21, 2012, 03:50:13 pm »

I'm setting aside time tomorrow for an enormous reread, which unfortunately will take most of the day it seems.  My comments on currently building situations are as follows:
Munch-watno. 
I'm glad that watno is pursuing ideas, but he's definitely got the wrong target.  TheMunch is at times unclear in his posts, but seems to be playing fairly perceptively and I really like his explanation of the informational lynch idea.  I think that while sometimes he comes up with an idea that is explained poorly, he tends to re-explain in different words.  I treat these words more like clarifications that he adds as he realizes he hasn't been as clear as he could from the start.  Others seem to think he's hedging/changing his ideas.  But when I read his posts as a whole, it becomes more clear that he's playing quite town-like and keeps getting caught up in storms of misunderstanding.

Munch-eHalcyon.  I've gotta be honest, I didn't understand some of the questions and exchanges happening here at first.  And then as more blocky posts were exchanged between them with 6 seperate arguments each in its own section, I just started skimming them or skipping completely.  I'll look at this harder on reread to make sure I know what's going on but it didn't seem immediately useful at first glance.

yuma's soft-deadline suggestion.  I like it.  The mad scramble at deadline that occured in MIX just left me with a bad taste in my mouth.  I was trying to outspokenly defend ehunt and in my haste kept tripping/flipping words up and making slips and contradictions.  O and others jumped at that saying "aha! next target!" until ehunt died and they realized that I was probably town.  So mafia killed me.  Sorry new players, I'm going to sum this up in a non-past-game-referencing way.  When things get frantic at deadlines, it's sooo hard to keep things straight, and make reasonable decisions on voting.  It will be 6 times as hard with 25 players (that is our total, right?)  It will just be a clustercuss of ideas being screamed around and nobody has a chance of convincing people of anything or reading it as it's going on.  On reread during night, we will find that every participant in the discussion was either tunnelling the shit out of an idea, or trying to keep up with multiple conversations and contradicted like crazy.  Basically making anyone who joins in a suuuper easy lynch target.  So that's a reasonable suggestion to avoid franticness.

CF and his dayvig idea.  I like this as well.  it replaces the info that lynch wagons have with a forced ranking of every other player (I assume one won't be allowed to put themselves on the list).  This would actually be harder for scum to manipulate I think, as there are more town voices, and it's not as easy to push the wrong direction as a regular lynch might.  Here's some super cool information we could get: some people here are outspoken about their lynch targets.  An enterprising scum may rank misguided people higher trying to cause that problem, but once that scum dies, we will really gain a lot of information as we look not only at their list, but also the suspects of each person on their list.  The major problem with this idea is that everybody would have to be on board for it to work.  And some people seem very opposed to it.

I've gotta catch a bus; I'll probably save my next post for the long reread unless something really jumps out at me as demanding a response.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: September 21, 2012, 03:57:26 pm »

People ok with soft deadline, sorry if I missed anyone

1. yuma
2. glooble
3. ftl
4. voltaire
5. frisk
6. ehunt
7. cuzz
8. dsell
9. eevee
10. shraeye

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
    • View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: September 21, 2012, 03:58:30 pm »

You missed me.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: September 21, 2012, 03:58:41 pm »

why do we keep calling Frisk's idea a dayvig idea? Did someone claim dayvig?
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: September 21, 2012, 04:00:54 pm »

Galz (I think) pointed out that it is functionally equivalent of handing over dayvig powers to someone voluntarily.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: September 21, 2012, 04:01:31 pm »

CF and his dayvig idea.  I like this as well.  it replaces the info that lynch wagons have with a forced ranking of every other player (I assume one won't be allowed to put themselves on the list).  This would actually be harder for scum to manipulate I think, as there are more town voices, and it's not as easy to push the wrong direction as a regular lynch might.  Here's some super cool information we could get: some people here are outspoken about their lynch targets.  An enterprising scum may rank misguided people higher trying to cause that problem, but once that scum dies, we will really gain a lot of information as we look not only at their list, but also the suspects of each person on their list.  The major problem with this idea is that everybody would have to be on board for it to work.  And some people seem very opposed to it.

It would actually be easy for scum to manipulate.  Say they wait for most others to put out their lists.  They notice that townie Bob seems moderately suspicious to many people.  Now scum can push at a Bob lynch while not stepping out of line.

With that information available, they can also tailor their "suspicions" to match the town consensus.  Again, no need to offer their own opinions.

They'll also see who is most trusted and therefore most important to NK.

There are merits to doing it, but I don't think they outweigh the drawbacks.  The exercise would be more fruitful after day 1 anyway.  I don't have enough info to rank everyone.

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: September 21, 2012, 04:01:50 pm »

Galz (I think) pointed out that it is functionally equivalent of handing over dayvig powers to someone voluntarily.

except dayvig doesn't end a day.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: September 21, 2012, 04:02:17 pm »

2 hours and 10 minutes, and thats alot of skimming at the end.

PPE - AND 21 new posts.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: September 21, 2012, 04:02:40 pm »

I don't really get how it's like that. One person doesn't have all the power.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: September 21, 2012, 04:03:00 pm »

except dayvig doesn't end a day.
Well it's not perfect obviously.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: September 21, 2012, 04:03:33 pm »

I don't really get how it's like that. One person doesn't have all the power.
Then we can just call if "CF's idea" if you'd like.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: September 21, 2012, 04:06:04 pm »

I'm not hung up on it, but I do want to know why Galz (and everyone else) is equating with a dayvig. It still kinda seems like I'm missing something.

He/him

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: September 21, 2012, 04:07:07 pm »

I'm not hung up on it, but I do want to know why Galz (and everyone else) is equating with a dayvig. It still kinda seems like I'm missing something.

you didn't pick up when we start doing things like calling wharf a moat followed by a worker village and a smithy next turn that we like making analogies?

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: September 21, 2012, 04:08:13 pm »

@joth:

Ok - so we all agree that no lynch is bad right - but plurality is hard.

How about this.  We rank everyone from 1 to 20 whatever, in order of who you would be willing to give your vote to.  Whoever gets the most points decides who lynch, and the rest of us go along with it?

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: September 21, 2012, 04:10:28 pm »

Thanks Cuzz, I definitely misread that the first time and thought we were talking about something totally different!

I thought the proposal was to average the lists and then all agree to vote for the person who averaged the most scummy. That seems like a much better idea than agreeing to sheep the person who averages the most townie.

He/him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: September 21, 2012, 04:10:58 pm »

I was thinking "give your vote to" meant "vote for"

He/him

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: September 21, 2012, 04:19:01 pm »

@Young_Nick
Here's my summary of notes that I took after this reread.  The serious amount of time it took to reread is the primary reason for staying away.  The weekend start meant I was behind from the getgo, and each time you say "meh - i'll read it later" it gets even longer.

Dsell RVS's Morgrim
Lots of people jump on him for it:
Additional Vote is identified
igbtennis wagon started for lurking
we had a mini shraeye wagon for a scum slip
cayvie let us know that she'll be unvoting off of wagons
yuma thought this was strange - and a wagon started on him for it
we dicked around for a while - O started picking up votes for not participating
eevee confirms presence of cult
we goofed off for a while
the munch called O a bad person
we had a discussion of being civil
shraeye called a bunch of people idiots
young nick arrives on the scene after VLA.  Surprisingly nobody mentioned this at all except for RobZ's intro post
We goofed around some more.  I suggested an alternative way to break the majority rule.  Nobody was interested
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 164  All

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 16 queries.