Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 164  All

Author Topic: Mafia XI: Find Yourself in the Courtyard Masquerade -- GAME OVER, TOWN WINS  (Read 318871 times)

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XI: Find Yourself in the Courtyard Masquerade -- DAY 1, PM MOD FOR SPEC QT
« Reply #1000 on: September 21, 2012, 01:06:37 pm »

So, feel free to explain to me how that makes sense and where he answers why he couldn't state his reasons right when he was asked, but had to wait for ehunt to talk about them.
He realized he never actually stated the reasons, others had posted them, he wanted to wait to see if ehunt gave a proper reply? I mean, you can disagree that that is the right course of action, or whether or not it is scummy, or poor town play, or whatever, but it seems clear enough to me.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XI: Find Yourself in the Courtyard Masquerade -- DAY 1, PM MOD FOR SPEC QT
« Reply #1001 on: September 21, 2012, 01:09:23 pm »

And exactly that is where I don't get it. Why wait until ehunt gives a reply with saying what he's supposed to reply to?

TheMunch

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: September 21, 2012, 01:28:16 pm »

Watno is seeming pretty scummy to me.  If he was scum and me not scum, if I were in his shoes id definitely be looking at the new player being incredibly confusing (which I very well might be guilty of) and try to catch him making a slip.  Then knowing the new player isn't scum, try to pull the trigger.  I dont like it.  Seems like hes fishing for a mistake I cant make.  Vote: watno

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: September 21, 2012, 01:31:02 pm »

Ok eHalcyon, I think I see the problem.  I think we agree more than you lead on initially, so I'll give you an unovte for now and try to explain myself again.  Let me start off by saying, while I like the back and forth, as a new player I cant help but feel it is incredibly dangerous.  I fear explaining the same thing in 3 different ways to try to make you understand is only going to end with me getting caught in an unintentional contradiction that I really would rather not get lynched for.

Discussion is how we move forward though.  It's no more dangerous than anything else.  The alternative is to say nothing at all, for fear of being misconstrued.

Ok the Yuma wagon.  I need to pick a better word than mess.  I'm not gonna say mess at all cause that seemed to be part of the confusion.  My problem wasn't that it just that it grew quickly, or just that it disbanded for what seened like no reason, it was the combination.  I saw a bunch of people jump on him for rolefishing (which as a new player, took me a while to figure out why that was so obvious to everyone else).  But then as he was defending himself (the part where I claimed to have become more suspicious of him) thats when everyone backed off of him for an "honest mistake."  It is the disparity between me finding his defense suspicious and everyone else completely buying it.

That wasn't clear from what you said before, but OK.  Still, if lots of people accept yuma's reasoning, it's almost guaranteed that at least some, if not most, of those people are town.  I don't see how there is an issue over the wagon growing and then disbanding.  It happens all the time, especially on day 1.

I'm not going to talk about O anymore.  I've already conceded it was a noob mistake to let my personal fellings about him as a person and his playstyle affect whether or not I wanted to see him die.

OK, I guess.

When I talk about the value of the ehunt wagon I'm talking about the value of information to be gained by ehunts death if we look at the wagon.  This is when I figured out that I probably agreed with you more than I originally thought.  At the end of your post you argue that you dont think there is any informative lynch from day 1; I think I'm coming to that conclusion slower than you are.  I am literally saying in all 4 cases that I want there to be information to be gained from the wagons that have formed but when I go over each wagon I seem to come to the conclusion that there wasn't as much conclusive with the wagons as I wanted there to be.  This is why yesterday I made the post asking the question (874) if they saw any wagons with the information that would be useful to us on D2.

You're misunderstanding again.  I believe the most valuable information will come from real discussion about player behaviour and the final lynch wagon (both who is on it, and who is not, and their reasons for their choice).  The early wagons that end up disbanded don't provide any info.  Trying to squeeze info from those wagons isn't productive.  There is definitely info from day 1, but your suggestion is not the way to get that info.  The final lynch is the most informative, and there should be reasons for that beyond "the flip should be informative".

FWIW Munch, I personally believe that looking at interactions D1, and then proceeding after an informational lynch, is the best philosophy for D1. I don't buy all the "You have to SCUMHUNT" arguments. The whole point is that without information (ie. Flips), there IS NOTHING to scumhunt. Scum isn't going to jump up and down going "Here I an! Look here! Hey, I'm scum over here!". Thus to me, the value of D1 is associations, and actions against "perceived" scumslips (real or otherwise, we won't know until later with... Wait for it... Alignment flips!).

Look at interactions and try to find odd, scummy behaviour.  There is plenty to scumhunt in how people respond and react.  Absolutely I agree that "the value of D1 is associations, and actions against "perceived" scumslips (real or otherwise, we won't know until later with... Wait for it... Alignment flips!)."

But my point is that we will get all that anyway.  People vote based on associations, actions and reactions, and that gives us info.  The most important info is the one on the LYNCH.  If you decide to lynch to try to eke out info from early RVS wagons, you are giving up the info on the lynch wagon in exchange for weak info on an early stalled wagon.

In the end, I absolutely think an "informative" lynch is the best lynch to pursue D1. And I don't accept the argument that "but if everybody says it was for information, it's no longer informational", because the same can be said about any meathod "But if people were just voting him because he seemed scummy, or did scummy thing X, then there's nothing to analyze!". A lynch (and reveal) is going to do what it does, no matter how you come about the target. For me, I like lurkers, and informational lynches.

This is equivocation.  Pursuing an "informative" lynch is a clinical reason.  Pursuing a lynch because you think someone was scummy is a useful reason to analyse.  "I think this was scummy" gives us associations, reactions, all those things you list as useful to analyse.  "I think this will be informative" gives us none of that and neuters the lynch wagon.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: September 21, 2012, 01:33:02 pm »

On this Watno thing... I'm confused about it.  I was grilling Munchy pretty hard, but Watno seems way more aggressive.  I don't know, I can't really be objective about myself.

TheMunch

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: September 21, 2012, 01:35:46 pm »

On this Watno thing... I'm confused about it.  I was grilling Munchy pretty hard, but Watno seems way more aggressive.  I don't know, I can't really be objective about myself.

Yeah I would say that is the difference between you and him in the last few posts and the reason why I voted for watno.  You were grilling me and had reasons to be doing so and hence why I was trying really hard to be clear with you.  But watno just seemed like he wanted to catch me make a slip so he could pull the trigger.  I dont like that.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: September 21, 2012, 01:40:52 pm »

This watno-munch back and forth is like ten levels of abstraction away from actual content. I hope no one minds if I butt in and change the subject.

I'm up for going along with the soft deadline, after yuma clarified the idea for me. It forces an actual event to take place in this game and gives us something tangible to talk about. I think everyone should try to weigh in on this.

I also think that Captain_Frisk's idea is a not so good idea. He's backed off it for the most part, but even suggesting it in the first place seems fishy to me. It's like he doesn't want to be held accountable for his behavior on D1, or that he isn't following closely enough to decide his vote himself. Scum doesn't have to pay much attention on D1 since they don't have to scumhunt.

Vote: Captain_Frisk

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: September 21, 2012, 01:42:20 pm »

We seem to like easy wagons. Too bad easy wagons suck.

CF is pretty town atm.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: September 21, 2012, 01:43:43 pm »

CF is pretty town atm.
Then start a better one, or I'm going to ragevote you for playstyle.

Why do you think CF is town? Explain.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: September 21, 2012, 01:43:57 pm »

I am for the soft deadline too, seems like a good idea to me.

O, I'm curious about why you think C_F seems town.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: September 21, 2012, 01:44:13 pm »

CF is pretty town atm.

You'll get used to him...
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: September 21, 2012, 01:44:25 pm »

This watno-munch back and forth is like ten levels of abstraction away from actual content. I hope no one minds if I butt in and change the subject.

I'm up for going along with the soft deadline, after yuma clarified the idea for me. It forces an actual event to take place in this game and gives us something tangible to talk about. I think everyone should try to weigh in on this.

I also think that Captain_Frisk's idea is a not so good idea. He's backed off it for the most part, but even suggesting it in the first place seems fishy to me. It's like he doesn't want to be held accountable for his behavior on D1, or that he isn't following closely enough to decide his vote himself. Scum doesn't have to pay much attention on D1 since they don't have to scumhunt.

Vote: Captain_Frisk

You would be accountable for how you ranked people.  That's something.  I think it's a bad idea, but not necessarily scum-bad.

I'd also argue that it's more important for scum to pay attention, for myriad reasons.  Keeping the heat off of themselves, keeping the heat off of buddies.  Poking at others to try to stir up a mislynch.  Also possibly real scumhunting, if there are multiple scum teams -- very possible in such a big setup.

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: September 21, 2012, 01:45:57 pm »

CF is pretty town atm.

Ehunt's play is quite different from the norm and he's been town every other time. I've already suggested Ehunt.

I think CF is town because I don't honestly believe scum CF would propose such a wholly stupid idea. He's not really an attention grabber as scum- I should know, I was scum with him MVIII and MIX.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: September 21, 2012, 01:47:26 pm »

I would like to repeat that I think Frisk is a good lynch, but not because of his dayvig idea. He's contributed virtually nothing to the discussion and has taken almost no opinions. He's not helping out the town. This doesn't make him scum, but his meta makes it scream obvscum to me. It's exactly how I've seen him play as scum. That's why I have my vote on him.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: September 21, 2012, 01:48:19 pm »

I would like to repeat that I think Frisk is a good lynch, but not because of his dayvig idea. He's contributed virtually nothing to the discussion and has taken almost no opinions. He's not helping out the town. This doesn't make him scum, but his meta makes it scream obvscum to me. It's exactly how I've seen him play as scum. That's why I have my vote on him.

I suppose I'll re-read CF's posts sometime soon.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: September 21, 2012, 01:49:01 pm »

I actually really like TheMunch's read on watno. I'm all for sheeping that sauce.

Vote: watno
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: September 21, 2012, 01:49:08 pm »

...and not ehunt? interesting..

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: September 21, 2012, 01:49:43 pm »

CF is pretty town atm.

Ehunt's play is quite different from the norm and he's been town every other time. I've already suggested Ehunt.

I think CF is town because I don't honestly believe scum CF would propose such a wholly stupid idea. He's not really an attention grabber as scum- I should know, I was scum with him MVIII and MIX.
Thank you.

I personally think ehunt's change in behavior could stem from a concious attempt to behave differently in a big game, thinking it was for the best (see: the whole one-post-a-day debacle). I take it you don't find that a likely possibility?

His theories about the town not sharing information - is that a change from his past self?

I appreciate your help here, I haven't played with ehunt before.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: September 21, 2012, 01:50:24 pm »

I did promise elsewhere that my next trip as scum would be amazing, but O is right, not scum this time around.

Guys, we're @ 1012 posts now, and we're not even 1/2 through day 1.  We have to do something to actually move the game forward.  I think its time to bite the bullet and do a full read.  Anyone want to over/under on how long its going to take?
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Cuzz

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: September 21, 2012, 01:51:12 pm »

I agree with this too. I didn't want to bring it up in my vote because I was afraid it would be interpreted as advocating policy lynch (which it's not) and I'll tear my hair out if we start talking about that again.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: September 21, 2012, 01:52:34 pm »

I did promise elsewhere that my next trip as scum would be amazing, but O is right, not scum this time around.

Guys, we're @ 1012 posts now, and we're not even 1/2 through day 1.  We have to do something to actually move the game forward.  I think its time to bite the bullet and do a full read.  Anyone want to over/under on how long its going to take?
It took me 2-3 days off-and-on at work, I think. Good luck.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: September 21, 2012, 01:53:58 pm »

...and not ehunt? interesting..

Well, could you expand on this?  I thought the main issue with ehunt was his early decision to post one big post a day.  I don't have an issue with that at all.  I understood it to mean "one post per IRL day" and I said I would do something similar.  This was long before role PMs were sent out. 

Overall, his play hasn't seemed that different to me.  I only played one game with him though, and I don't think I really followed any others.

So in your opinion, how is ehunt behaving now, and how does he usually behave?

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: September 21, 2012, 01:54:23 pm »

Well, i guess voting is a way to answer a question. I agree the exchange between me and Munch took longer than it needed to, but I don't think just ignoring my question not being answered would have been better.

Cuzz

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: September 21, 2012, 01:56:21 pm »

Do you think the soft deadline would move the game forward?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: September 21, 2012, 01:56:38 pm »

I think the game is moving forward just fine right now.  It should move forward a little more when Volt posts his case on me.

Why not offer your opinion on the recent events involving Watno, TheMunch and myself?
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 164  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.