Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 164  All

Author Topic: Mafia XI: Find Yourself in the Courtyard Masquerade -- GAME OVER, TOWN WINS  (Read 318837 times)

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
    • View Profile

I can't believe I got caught just because I like the English language used with a modicum of accuracy...

Scumslip?

"I can't believe I got caught" vs. "I can't believe people suspect me".

I mean, you can argue that you meant the latter, but then it's kind of ironic since you're talking about using language accurately...

Amusing scumslip.  Right up there with Captain_Frisk's 0% chance of flipping town.

...although what's most interesting to me is the way yuma and Dsell immediately tried to change the subject to O.  If in the future one of those three flip scum, we should carefully reevaluate the other two.

This bothers me from Volt. Volt just plain knows better. Shraeye was obviously being sarcastic. I thought it was so obvious it didn't even merit comment. The fact that I was thinking the same way as yuma about something I am actually interested in does matter. I want O to come and face us, unless he knows that his many past scumbuddies will see straight through his play.

PPE: Oops ehunt, looks like you forgot to vote for me!

I said above that I don't intend to vote for you until we hear something of substance from O (whom I'm currently voting for).

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile

let me just reiterate my Vote: ehunt
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile

Yeah I'm not sure what to make of ehunt. This is just weird. It's not exactly scummy, but it's making it hard for me to get any sort of read. I agree with some of what you say though, ehunt, but I'm really confused about where your suspicion of me is coming from. I'm not bothered by a few votes on me but you aren't giving any sort of reason, whereas you are giving detailed reason for everything else you're doing.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile

eHunt it is super anti-town to post once a day, because you don't answer any questions that become directed at you or posts that are directed at you like this one.

An aside did you think I was rude in MIX? What about MVIII?
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

TheMunch

• Swindler
    • View Profile

I guess ehunt is actually done so I will respond.  eHunt actually addresses my point.  I just dont like the idea of squelching people ever.

I don't get it. We disagree about an idea (how much signal-to-noise ratio should there be), therefore you vote for me? I am giving you a pass because you are new, but "we disagree on a theoretical issue" is not in and of itself a reason to vote. "We disagree on a theoretical issue and I think you know that I am right about the theoretical issue but you are intentionally trying to mislead the town into going the wrong way on the theoretical issue" - that would be a reason to vote for me. Is that why you voted for me? If so, you need to say it.

I would say thats pretty much accurate.  I had acknowledged that I agreed with you in theory.  The only information I had was your one post stating that sticking to a one-post-a-day style will be beneficial.  Some people had taken this to mean a much looser interpretation of "ehunt favors lower post counts filled with more content" whereas I took it to mean literally you only wanted people to post once a day.  Now that you have clarified that you meant the former, I am less upset (not that I was actually upset before, even if it seemed that way).  I would agree with the former; I want more content and less people discussing things that dont matter. 

Also I dont care if you agree with this, and having real life time constraints is a thing, but I dont like the self limiting that you are doing.  I would rather see you respond to me posting then keep your word that your machine gun of posts is all you will be saying for today.

If I just blindly type things and one of them gets misperceived as a scumslip, that's really bad for town.
I dont like that you use the word "misperceived."  Feels like you are trying too hard to plant that you are town so that when you make a scumslip it would be a mistake to act on it.  Subtle, but I dont like it.

O

• Jester
    • View Profile

vote:Ehunt

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile

TheMunch

• Swindler
    • View Profile

he lives! unvote

I dont think him showing up only to vote for ehunt without giving a reason is enough to give him the pass on being inactive.  I would personally want to see more if that was my only basis for voting for O.

ehunt

• Torturer
    • View Profile

eHunt it is super anti-town to post once a day, because you don't answer any questions that become directed at you or posts that are directed at you like this one.

You were quite flippant in MIX. "hammerino" in the post where you kill the town doctor e.g. In MVIII you were polite except in the late-game with your exchanges with theorel where you would ignore what he said and just post something you had already said that he had answered three posts ago but in a more sarcastic manner, which was very frustrating. Ironically, you are doing exactly that now to me.

To all: It sounds like this is a majority opinion, that I should post more. I do not have time to answer all questions that are addressed to me. I am happy to move to twice-a-day-post-fests, but I can't commit to more than that. I said before the game started that I won't be able to insta-respond at all times like I used to. If that is not enough, tell me and I will try to find a sub.

I continue to think that it's ridiculous that people would rather vote for me (who is posting less) than vote for people who haven't posted at all.

TheMunch: how would you prefer that I worded that sentence you are upset about?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile

my post 5. the shraeye wagon: I don't get it. His statement about "I got caught" is immediately preceded by a hypothetical sarcastic remark in which he implies he's mafia. It is obviously sarcastic. I don't see how this is still up for debate. I certainly don't see how it merits the number of votes that it got. The person who quoted this out of context (cayvie) almost immediately corrected herself, and yet it has gotten replicated over and over. Morgrim seems to think shraeye made two scumsclips, which I don't understand at all.

Either scum is jumping on his wagon because they are too lazy to read the case, or town is getting drowned out by the noise and doesn't notice factual things (he was being sarcastic and the person who called him out on it has admitted as much). This is yet another reason why I dislike when people post every thought that comes to their minds without considering the implications.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile

Whoops, copy+paste error.

This is my post 2.

There are two primary components to mafia. One is psychological, and the other is mathematical/strategic. The presence of special roles highly accentuates the second aspect of the game. I will abbreviate the mathematical component as "theory."

F.DS is really bad at theory, and towns lose over and over because of it. I have no problem with being bossy on theory issues. For example, it's mathematically completely straightforward that the parity of the total population should be odd. Town does better with n town and m mafia than with n+1 town and m mafia when n + m is odd. You can easily check this with a computer if you don't believe me. Despite this basic fact, town lost MXI exclusively because a vigilante caused an even parity at LyLo, and lost MVIII at least partially for this reason (though town was in bad shape by that point in MVIII). This mistake is akin to something like opening mint/pearl diver. I have no problem being blunt about theory issues.

What?  This is MXI.  Do you mean MIX?  I thought town lost because SK Voltgloss had some weird super-voting power.

This is my post 3, about my "one-post-a-day" technique. While I appreciate yuma coming to my side, actually everyone else's reading of what I said was what I meant; what I meant was that it really would be best if people posted less often but more substantively. The pace of one good post a day works for me; do what works best for you, I guess what it means is just don't fill the forum with noise, which drowns out sound and makes the discussion harder to follow. For instance, jotheonah says in between my post 0 and my post 1a of today that "this should be interesting." How does that help the town? It doesn't give us any more of a read on jotheonah. It just gives us noise.

Your original post really wasn't phrased that way.  It didn't even seem to suggest one big post + other little posts.

If everyone makes fewer posts in an effort to make posts more substantive... what will we all post about?  We need something to discuss, and the conversational posts are what get us those topics.  You might criticize a little post as "noise", but without that noise, you have nothing to criticize!

my post 5. the shraeye wagon: I don't get it. His statement about "I got caught" is immediately preceded by a hypothetical sarcastic remark in which he implies he's mafia. It is obviously sarcastic. I don't see how this is still up for debate. I certainly don't see how it merits the number of votes that it got. The person who quoted this out of context (cayvie) almost immediately corrected herself, and yet it has gotten replicated over and over. Morgrim seems to think shraeye made two scumsclips, which I don't understand at all.

Either scum is jumping on his wagon because they are too lazy to read the case, or town is getting drowned out by the noise and doesn't notice factual things (he was being sarcastic and the person who called him out on it has admitted as much). This is yet another reason why I dislike when people post every thought that comes to their minds without considering the implications.

I'm the first person to quote it, not cayvie.  She quoted it immediately after me though; we posted just about simultaneously.  It's not still up for debate.  Some people aren't following the conversation, but most are on the ball.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile

(And I did read the post where you said that, yes, you meant MIX.  Subsequent point stands -- Volt had super votes, didn't he?)

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile

he lives! unvote

I dont think him showing up only to vote for ehunt without giving a reason is enough to give him the pass on being inactive.  I would personally want to see more if that was my only basis for voting for O.

True, but my reason to vote him was to prevent his first post being a hammer (that is that I would rather have had him at L-1 then another player at L-1 and him threatening to hammer). Now that this is impossible I unvoted, but could certainly see myself voting him in the future. It isn't a free pass.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile

To all: It sounds like this is a majority opinion, that I should post more. I do not have time to answer all questions that are addressed to me. I am happy to move to twice-a-day-post-fests, but I can't commit to more than that. I said before the game started that I won't be able to insta-respond at all times like I used to. If that is not enough, tell me and I will try to find a sub.

Post as much or as little as you want. Just don't tell other people how much to post.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

ehunt

• Torturer
    • View Profile

vote: Dsell as promised, although it's a stretch to argue that this post is substance. O, I would like you to please make a post explaining why you are voting for me.

ehunt

• Torturer
    • View Profile

Post as much or as little as you want. Just don't tell other people how much to post.

I'm going to continue to call you out for noisemaking, if that's what you mean. It's anti-town. But I no longer recommend that others follow my one-a-day strategy; I see that it doesn't work once you come under pressure.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile

You were quite flippant in MIX. "hammerino" in the post where you kill the town doctor e.g. In MVIII you were polite except in the late-game with your exchanges with theorel where you would ignore what he said and just post something you had already said that he had answered three posts ago but in a more sarcastic manner, which was very frustrating. Ironically, you are doing exactly that now to me.

I continue to think that it's ridiculous that people would rather vote for me (who is posting less) than vote for people who haven't posted at all.

TheMunch: how would you prefer that I worded that sentence you are upset about?

Actually in MIX I hammered you for game reasons, I wanted people to know that I knew I was hammering you because its a scummy slot to be in, so I wanted to use it to WIFOM my way out but I got shot anyway.

I'm not saying you need to post more only that I don't think limiting yourself is extremely useful it'd be nice if when you did get a chance you took the time to respond. And I already talked about M8 but I really had theorel blinders on and didn't think he was addressing my case (I still don't). I have not voted for you I'm on a lurker, also I don't feel like I'm being sarcastic to you but that I am asking you valid questions.

PPE: That said you aren't following your own restriction very well so I probably have 0 qualms with you.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile

vote: Dsell as promised, although it's a stretch to argue that this post is substance. O, I would like you to please make a post explaining why you are voting for me.

I was scared for a minute when he voted for you that you wouldn't deliver on your promise!

Oh and ehunt, I would like you to please make a post explaining why you are voting for me.

O

• Jester
    • View Profile

Ok,
Policy lynch for your bad Meta.

ehunt

• Torturer
    • View Profile

I was scared for a minute when he voted for you that you wouldn't deliver on your promise!

Oh and ehunt, I would like you to please make a post explaining why you are voting for me.

I already did. You Morgrim-hunted, then when called out on it, said it was RVS, exactly like Frisk when he was scum in MIX. I unvoted you because the double-vote I thought made you "hated" which I thought was more likely to be townie than scum, but when that theory was disproven I said I'd revote for you once we heard from O, which is what I just did. None of these claims are new.

ehunt

• Torturer
    • View Profile

Ok,
Policy lynch for your bad Meta.

by "meta" you mean post less frequently? If that meta is bad - how is your meta better? you haven't posted at all except this one and the otherwise empty post voting for me.

TheMunch

• Swindler
    • View Profile

ehunt:  To fix your sentence I would have not said anything about how whether or not people notice a scumslip, either correctly or incorrectly implicating you as scum, has any baring on what is or isn't good for town.  For example if you had said "I would be disappointed if things I say are perceived as scumslips entirely as a result of my blindly typing them"  I would probably have been happier.  You making a scumslip falls on you, not the town unless we KNOW you are town.  We dont know you are town.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 02:48:01 pm by TheMunch »

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile

I already did. You Morgrim-hunted, then when called out on it, said it was RVS, exactly like Frisk when he was scum in MIX. I unvoted you because the double-vote I thought made you "hated" which I thought was more likely to be townie than scum, but when that theory was disproven I said I'd revote for you once we heard from O, which is what I just did. None of these claims are new.

RVS...I do not think it means what you think it means...

It's a stage that includes random and joke voting. Did you really think I was trying to get someone policy lynched on the first pages of a 25-player game before that person had posted anything? Sheesh. I unvoted like...the next page.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile

TheMunch! No editing posts!

He/him

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile

RVS...I do not think it means what you think it means...

It's a stage that includes random and joke voting. Did you really think I was trying to get someone policy lynched on the first pages of a 25-player game before that person had posted anything? Sheesh. I unvoted like...the next page.

Oh hey did I say I unvoted the next page? I meant the VERY SAME PAGE. Yikes.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 164  All

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 16 queries.