Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 164  All

Author Topic: Mafia XI: Find Yourself in the Courtyard Masquerade -- GAME OVER, TOWN WINS  (Read 320986 times)

TheMunch

• Swindler
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XI: Find Yourself in the Courtyard Masquerade -- GAME START, DAY 1
« Reply #325 on: September 16, 2012, 04:52:17 pm »

Vote: ehunt

I have to say I was initially on board with ehunts idea; with such a large number of players I was smitten with the idea of less clutter more content.  But as people actually started to refute this as being a bad idea it made me reevaluate my initial thoughts.  Maybe its good in theory, bad in practice?  Id rather encourage people to give themselves plenty of opportunities (through posting often) to produce inconsistent ideas which can be evaluated by the group.  There might be more "junk" to sift through but all in all talking is good.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 16, 2012, 05:03:09 pm »

vote: shraeye

No quantifiable reason just yet, but his post gave me a scum vibe.
Maybe because others do too?

I agree that shraeyes post is a bit nitpicky, but I don't think that's scummy.

Regarding ehunt: He said he would be posting only once a day before the game, so I don't think it tells us something about his alignment. However, I also don't like that idea much, since I like pointing out things right when i get too it. Also, if scum players think about their post the whole day, it's much less likely they'll slip.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: September 16, 2012, 06:24:47 pm »

3. To everyone else, I highly recommend the one-thorough-post-a-day strategy. (I know I failed at it myself last night, but I had to correct an error in the voting record, plus there's the genuinely confusing thing). I find that it enormously clarifies my thoughts when I'm not just sniping at everything I disagree with. I also think the noise in here is going to get unbearable (even though it's OK now). I would most like to vote for somebody noisy or for a lurker at the end of the day (I know these are opposites, in a way! By "noise" I mean useless content, not content).

ehunt can defend himself in more depth when he returns, but I'll make a point about this part, which in and of itself is probably only part of the reason he has received votes but not the only reason, in that I feel that some members of the community are misunderstanding it.

It appears that some are interpreting ehunt's post as saying that other players should only post once with a thorough post. I don't see that. I think ehunt is suggesting that others post a large post once a day in addition to anything else that they might write. He suggests this because it helps him "clarify thoughts."

Perhaps I am the one misinterpreting ehunt's suggestion, but keep in mind: it is a suggestion, not a demand.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: September 16, 2012, 06:30:08 pm »

That seems unlikely, since it contradicts what ehunt says ("failed at it" and "not sniping out everything I disagree with").

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: September 16, 2012, 06:32:06 pm »

Announcement: There IS a Quicktopic for spectators and deceased town members to discuss the game. Though basically everybody is already in this game, if you're not and you'd like to discuss it, PM me for the link.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
    • View Profile

eHal, no, the entire post isn't adressed to you. But, you saying that I wasn't crazy enough is kinda suggesting that you want me to be crazier.

shraye, actilurking certainly is a thing. Possible scumslip?
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile

eHal, no, the entire post isn't adressed to you. But, you saying that I wasn't crazy enough is kinda suggesting that you want me to be crazier.

It's not suggesting that at all.  The point was that in all the games I've watched where you were town, you were always crazy.  For once, you are not so crazy.  Do you see what I was getting at now?  That's why I asked if there were games I hadn't followed where you were less crazy.  Apparently you behaved yourself in IX.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile

eHal, no, the entire post isn't adressed to you.

Also, you should quote the posts you respond to, or else it gets very difficult to track context.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile

shraye, actilurking certainly is a thing. Possible scumslip?
Vote: shraeye
Did not like that post. I think you are absolutely wrong in saying acti-lurking isn't a thing. It is, and a scummy as hell one at that. Not saying our differing opinions make you obvscum, but I should do as I say an start voting at some point.
Acti-lurking is an f.ds term in mafia, coined I think in MX.  I didn't make it up; glad you weren't worried about it.

It seems you are a stickler for semantics, and read peeved at my comment.  No idea why.  Your last line sounds especially hostile for such a thing.
Ashersky gets the closest to my point, but still I have no clue what exactly acti-lurking means.  If anybody can show me a legitimate dictionary with the word actilurking in it, I will not only eat my hat, but I will eat any hat that somebody mails to me.  I have no idea what you mean by actilurking, and will need that to be defined.  When it is properly defined, I will begin to call it by a more reasonable name.  Interesting side note: "acti-lurking" has no results in Google, and "actilurking" has exactly 1.  Also, Morgrim is correct, me not liking the dumb phrase "acti-lurking" is a scumtell.  I can't believe I got caught just because I like the English language used with a modicum of accuracy...

Also, unvote.  RVS is over.
No, it's not. Vote: Voltgloss

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile

I can't believe I got caught just because I like the English language used with a modicum of accuracy...

Scumslip?

"I can't believe I got caught" vs. "I can't believe people suspect me".

I mean, you can argue that you meant the latter, but then it's kind of ironic since you're talking about using language accurately...

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile

Ashersky gets the closest to my point, but still I have no clue what exactly acti-lurking means.  If anybody can show me a legitimate dictionary with the word actilurking in it, I will not only eat my hat, but I will eat any hat that somebody mails to me.  I have no idea what you mean by actilurking, and will need that to be defined.  When it is properly defined, I will begin to call it by a more reasonable name.  Interesting side note: "acti-lurking" has no results in Google, and "actilurking" has exactly 1.  Also, Morgrim is correct, me not liking the dumb phrase "acti-lurking" is a scumtell. I can't believe I got caught just because I like the English language used with a modicum of accuracy...

...really?
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile

I, um, wow.

I'm not normally one to put too much credence in scumslips, but dang.
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile

I guess it's more sarcastic on a reread.

Still, that's not an argument.

she/her

TheMunch

• Swindler
    • View Profile

As a new player I have no clue what actilurking is and if not for people adamantly telling me its a thing I wouldn't have thought it was a thing.  Instead of talking about scumslips can we just define the term and move forward?

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 16, 2012, 08:23:52 pm »

there's no such thing as useless content.
yes, yes there is.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 16, 2012, 08:24:17 pm »

there's no such thing as useless content.
yes, yes there is.
I guess I should say useless "content"
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile

I guess it's more sarcastic on a reread.
*dingdingding*

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 16, 2012, 08:29:15 pm »

Also,
Hi all, just wanted to drop in and say I'm not acti-lurking, just doing regular weekend life stuff, and trying to keep up.

I will mention Eevee is the same ole Eevee, Morgrim a very new Morgrim (liking it!), and the rest of you are still unmolded clay.  I noticed talk of cards started and stopped very quickly; I think it's for the best to leave that to subsequent days. 
Good, I was really worried you were "acti-lurking."  Oh wait, no I wasn't, because that isn't a word.  In more serious news, "talk of cards" never actually started; ehunt said "it's not a good thing to broadcast, don't do it."  End of discussion.  I suppose if I take "stopped very quickly" to mean instantly, you are right.  Otherwise, you do not know what it means to start talking about things.

Acti-lurking is an f.ds term in mafia, coined I think in MX.  I didn't make it up; glad you weren't worried about it.

It seems you are a stickler for semantics, and read peeved at my comment.  No idea why.  Your last line sounds especially hostile for such a thing.
A) I haven't seen "acti-lurking" as a phrase before either.  You coined it in the last freaking game.  I bet you are a alsdnkflasduvza.  (What you don't know what that means? I bet you're scum!)
B) the concept of Active Lurking has been around since forever.  I'm probably the first to mention it.  The phrase "Active Lurking" works just as well or better than "acti-lurking". I had actually thought "acti-lurking" was a typo of "anti-lurking" the first time I read it.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile

If this were a betting game, I would put some money down on O doing the same thing he did in MX, that is waiting to post until

GOD DAMNIT GUYS WHAT THE HELL

I wanted to actively lurk until

a) I got to L-1
b) Someone else got to L-1 and I could hammer in my first post.

Let's give him this opportunity to reach his goal...
so vote: O

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile

Ashersky gets the closest to my point, but still I have no clue what exactly acti-lurking means.  If anybody can show me a legitimate dictionary with the word actilurking in it, I will not only eat my hat, but I will eat any hat that somebody mails to me.  I have no idea what you mean by actilurking, and will need that to be defined.  When it is properly defined, I will begin to call it by a more reasonable name.  Interesting side note: "acti-lurking" has no results in Google, and "actilurking" has exactly 1.  Also, Morgrim is correct, me not liking the dumb phrase "acti-lurking" is a scumtell. I can't believe I got caught just because I like the English language used with a modicum of accuracy...

...really?
That'll teach me to read the entire thread before posting.

sparky in IX anyone?

Vote: shraeye

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile

Shraeye is just being sarcastic...

Actually I was thinking the same thing as yuma. O, just come out of hiding. Don't make us force you out, you scum.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XI: Find Yourself in the Courtyard Masquerade -- DAY 1, PM MOD FOR SPE
« Reply #346 on: September 16, 2012, 08:48:48 pm »

Shraeye is just being sarcastic...

Actually I was thinking the same thing as yuma. O, just come out of hiding. Don't make us force you out, you scum.

it isn't so much to force him out as it is to get him to l1 instead of someone else and let him be the hammer.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile

Ashersky gets the closest to my point, but still I have no clue what exactly acti-lurking means.  If anybody can show me a legitimate dictionary with the word actilurking in it, I will not only eat my hat, but I will eat any hat that somebody mails to me.  I have no idea what you mean by actilurking, and will need that to be defined.  When it is properly defined, I will begin to call it by a more reasonable name.  Interesting side note: "acti-lurking" has no results in Google, and "actilurking" has exactly 1.  Also, Morgrim is correct, me not liking the dumb phrase "acti-lurking" is a scumtell.  I can't believe I got caught just because I like the English language used with a modicum of accuracy...

"Actilurking" or "acti-lurking" is a blend (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blend) of Active and Lurking, not quite a portmanteau as I don't think "acti" is a morpheme.  In the same was that "smog" and "brunch" have entered our lexicon, so has "actilurking" on f.ds.  I suppose I will continue to use quotation marks around it to ensure that you know it's a made-up word, though.

I'd note that in languages other than English (such as Japanese), the use of blends in actively encouraged.  Take "karaoke" for example.

Wikipedia of course not being a "legitimate dictionary," I won't be sending you my hat.  Feel free to have a Vote: shraeye for now, though, based on:

...really?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile

Post counts subtracting one for the "in"

1. Ftl - 13
2. Voltgloss - 13
3. Eevee - 11
4. Grujah - 14
5. Insomniac - 13
6. Glooble - 3
7. Dsell - 12
8. Jotheonah - 30
9. Young Nick - 8
10. Voltaire - 4
11. Axxle - 15
12. O - 0
13. Cayvie - 30
14. Shraeye - 9
15. Cuzz - 3
16. Yuma - 11
17. igbtennis - -1  -- He deleted his in posts?
18. TheMunch - 4
19. Morgrim7 - 10
20. EHalcyon - 16
21. Watno - 4
22. Galzria - 26
23. Captain_Frisk - 6
24. ehunt - 5
25. ashersky - 6
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile

I intend to start having far more content tomorrow, but what the hell is going on with O, and igbtennis, O has only his in post, and igbtennis deleted his in post and his pre twin claim...

ROBZ PLEASE PROD IGBTENNIS, OR CONFIRM HE IS (NOT) IN THIS GAME
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 164  All

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 16 queries.