Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 164  All

Author Topic: Mafia XI: Find Yourself in the Courtyard Masquerade -- GAME OVER, TOWN WINS  (Read 318834 times)

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XI: Find Yourself in the Courtyard Masquerade -- GAME START, DAY 1
« Reply #300 on: September 16, 2012, 03:33:58 am »

Wait, there are town doublevoters? I didn't know that, I assumed it was a scum role... I guess I was just basing that off joth's BM so I shouldn't draw any conclusions from that.

Anyway, we should know that L-2 is the new L-1 and so on.
i was a double voting jester/town hybrid in rmmii fwiw.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: September 16, 2012, 04:41:52 am »

@cayvie
Nope. Unless you read MIII, you haven't seen me play scum. I seem to be very very skilled at drawing town roles, I must have played more than 10 games after that, always being town.

@Dsell
How can a towny-looking Morgrim "always be obvscum" if morgrim has never been scum? Uh?

I just want to say, much to your surprise I guess, I wholeheartedly oppose the idea of policylynching Morgrim today. In fact, at least for now, I'm opposed to lynching Morgrim at all. Also dislike lynching Dsell or ftl.

Whilst I can sympathize with not burdening Robz with excessive voting, in general voting is very very pro town! If you are a townie who plans on being cautious with your vote, please don't. Mafia wants to avoid picking sides and to vote as little as possible, don't make it easy for them! Active voting either forces mafia to never vote for their own (suspicious) or risk accidentally forming a wagon on their own (great for town). Also, later when we read back in light of new flips, votes are going to be the most informational thing because talk is cheap. So yay voting yay!

I currently have no suspicions (and, quite frankly, I don't see scum horribly slipping very likely). Today we should probably attempt to lynch someone who  a) isn't super important to town (if town) b) would be an informational flip c) is suspected for scummy voting positions. Lets not go after the first guy who gets up to 6 votes because of some pseudo-slip like we usually do, we all know how that would work out.
Also, ftl's point was an excellent one. This forum tends to want lynch active players for slips that weren't really slips. I think "when facing heat, just shut the hell up and it will go away" is a terrible meta for us as a forum, so we should really work on that.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: September 16, 2012, 06:23:59 am »

eHal, why are you asking me to be crazy? Do you enjoy that? If you do, then you are just as blatantly antitown as I was, and therefore deserve to he lynched.
Also, I got a bad read for not wanting to read a bunch of useless fluff every morning (which is highly likely considering the size of this town) and because I thought the Dsell -insert synonym for wagon here- was stupid?
I see your point, the town is huge and 4 people out of 13 to lynch is hardly big enough, but how does it help the town? Simple answer: IT DOESN'T.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: September 16, 2012, 06:27:17 am »

Oh so you weren't softclaiming having information about Dsell then?

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: September 16, 2012, 07:51:05 am »

4. Grujah - Hates Morgrim.

OMG, where did you get this from?
I've never even voted Morgrim aside from that Frisk's silly BMV. (ok, it is true that he was conf townie to me once, but I didn't go against him at all in IX, for example). I just didn't udnerstand his game from before, but aside from that, I like the guy.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: September 16, 2012, 08:18:11 am »

Oh so you weren't softclaiming having information about Dsell then?
No. I know nothing of Dsell.

4. Grujah - Hates Morgrim.

OMG, where did you get this from?
I've never even voted Morgrim aside from that Frisk's silly BMV. (ok, it is true that he was conf townie to me once, but I didn't go against him at all in IX, for example). I just didn't udnerstand his game from before, but aside from that, I like the guy.
Thank you! :)
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 16, 2012, 08:39:18 am »

I don't think Morgrim7's playstyle here is an improvement. FoSsing an entire wagon without really explaining it? It really does seem like he's covering for Dsell. Of course it's absurd to be looking for teams this early.

"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 16, 2012, 08:43:08 am »

Wait, there are town doublevoters? I didn't know that, I assumed it was a scum role... I guess I was just basing that off joth's BM so I shouldn't draw any conclusions from that.

Anyway, we should know that L-2 is the new L-1 and so on.

Remind me you said this when I make the BMV PMs public.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 16, 2012, 09:28:51 am »

FOS Everyone for starting the game on a weekend.  I'm already 150 posts behind.  Haven't read anything - might be able to do so during Sunday Night Football.

Fly Eagles Fly!
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 16, 2012, 09:36:30 am »

Hi all, just wanted to drop in and say I'm not acti-lurking, just doing regular weekend life stuff, and trying to keep up.

I will mention Eevee is the same ole Eevee, Morgrim a very new Morgrim (liking it!), and the rest of you are still unmolded clay.  I noticed talk of cards started and stopped very quickly; I think it's for the best to leave that to subsequent days. 

In my limited forum games experience, D1 lynches are a crapshoot at best, a sad affair at worst.  We can't even figure out our random chances of hitting scum today, since it isn't the normal 2/X where X is the number of players other than myself, what with the closed set up.  So Eevee's vote loud and vote often (I almost typed Volt loud, Volt often!) may or may not be a good policy, but for the record I don't see that suggestion (from him) as scummy.

I'm not hedging, it's day one, so stop thinking that.  Just trying to find the best (read: townie) way to do a D1, since we don't seem to have figured it out as a community quite yet. 

Also, Vote: Galzria as RVS and OMGUS from Blitz.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

TheMunch

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 16, 2012, 10:07:26 am »

So maybe I am just incredibly naive but I just dont understand the RVS as a concept.  If the goal during the day is for town people to make good decisions and scum to make "bad" ones then having a RVS stage should, in my mind, only be backed by two kinds of people: lazy town and overeager scum.  Both of these kinds of players are ones I wouldn't want to see around.

Imma interrupt the meta-reads everyone is giving.  How is any of this useful at all?

Talking is good.

I agree with Cayvie here.  For the people that are giving meta information, I could care less how players played in previous games.  Anyone can change their playstyle at any minute and does not come with any value.  But for the people that are giving such meta information, it can give insight into potentially what they care about from other players in other games, giving some kind of insight into their scum/protown leaning.  Not sure; dont have anything conclusive yet but talking is better than RSV.

Vote: ashersky

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 16, 2012, 10:30:47 am »

Rvs is silly, but you have to start the game somehow. It provides a way for town to get their feet wet, become aquainted with other players and eventually start talking about the game itself, which we are so good.

And from my pov talking is good because each time a mafia player posts they have to make a choice 1. Post content 2. Post fluff.  If they continue to post fluff an observent town will notice that and call them out on it. If it is content, each time they post is a time where they might make a mistake: slip, tell a lie, contradict themselves, etc. The more you post the more content there is to analyze later.

I think that is why people have such a hard time reading me. I post less than others, regardless of my alignment, but it is something I am trying to increase in previous game failed, but hopefully can post more in this one.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 16, 2012, 11:27:00 am »

Vote Count 1.4

Dsell (3) -- ehunt, Axxle
igbtennis (2) -- ftl, Insomniac
TheMunch (1) -- Jotheonah
Galzria (1) -- ashersky
ashersky (1) -- TheMunch

Not Voting (18) -- Voltgloss, Eevee, Grujah, Glooble, Young Nick, Voltaire, O, Shraeye, Cuzz, Yuma, igbtennis, Morgrim7, eHalcyon, Watno, Captain_Frisk, Galzria, Dsell, Cayvie

With 25 alive it takes 13 to lynch.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 12:37:03 pm by Robz888 »
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 16, 2012, 01:01:16 pm »

can we get mod-prods on O and igbtennis?

So my post for the day:

1. I was very explicit yesterday that I think speculation about what roles Robz has given out based on our knowledge of the personalities of others is a bad idea. It just gives scum way more information than town. I think I made this argument well and I haven't read an answer*. I am annoyed that this point was ignored. If you are going to continue this practice, you need to answer my arguments first. A couple posts yesterday seemed like straight-up rolefishing. In particular, if the scum is composed primarily of new people (or, if just one scumteam is, if there are multiple scumteams, or if there's a serial killer that's a new person) then thoughts along the lines of "Robz would definitely have given person so-and-so a power role" should not be vocalized. Yes, in theory, a smart mafia would be able to figure all this stuff out, and we all have access to the same information, but in practice, no one is going to read 10 mafia games to do it.

*well, actually, TheMunch defends the practice a little:

"For the people that are giving meta information, I could care less how players played in previous games.  Anyone can change their playstyle at any minute and does not come with any value.  But for the people that are giving such meta information, it can give insight into potentially what they care about from other players in other games, giving some kind of insight into their scum/protown leaning." ( a few posts ago)

Don't agree:

a. the reason people were speculating is because Robz explicitly said he would tailor roles to personalities, not because we want to know how people play.

b. Knowing "what does player x say player x cares about in player y" does not tell me about whether player x is scum, because if player x is scum, player x can just lie.

2. Jotheonah - it took all the restraint in my body not to respond to your post yesterday attacking me, but I'm glad I didn't because axxle made the explanation that I was going to make, but more succinctly. In this case, the "more information" scum has is that they know lots of card names, whereas townies only know their own.

Here's a hypothetical, imagine that Robz's rule was "having an action card means you are non-vanilla." A vanilla townie has no way of knowing this, and neither does a power role townie, because they can only see one card. But if there's a four person scumteam with a roleblocker and a godfather and they are silver, silver, witch, militia, well then, that scumteam's got a pretty good speculation that action cards match up with power roles. So the point is, if a townie's like "hmm, I am the cartographer, wonder why," the scum is like, sweet, good night-target. That's an example of why I said that nobody should share a card name.

3. To everyone else, I highly recommend the one-thorough-post-a-day strategy. (I know I failed at it myself last night, but I had to correct an error in the voting record, plus there's the genuinely confusing thing). I find that it enormously clarifies my thoughts when I'm not just sniping at everything I disagree with. I also think the noise in here is going to get unbearable (even though it's OK now). I would most like to vote for somebody noisy or for a lurker at the end of the day (I know these are opposites, in a way! By "noise" I mean useless content, not content).

As far as the genuinely confusing thing is concerned... speculation on it is probably unhealthy for town. Suffice it to say though that my case against DSell wasn't overwhelming and I think the genuinely confusing thing makes him look townier. So unvote.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 16, 2012, 02:40:43 pm »

there's no such thing as useless content.

He/him

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: September 16, 2012, 03:07:35 pm »

For clarity, I'm pretty sure ehunt's "generally confusing thing" is referencing the invisible/extra/mystery vote on DSell, right?  It was frustrating that he never actually named it in his post and just called it "the GCT."  I don't think that a secret vote on DSell is any indication of towniness one way or the other.  Totally neutral read on DSell because of that.  I agree that wild speculation on why it was there or what it means is not useful.  Here's what we townies take away from it: there is something unusual that can happen with votes, now we know about it and can account for it (hopefully).

Also,
Hi all, just wanted to drop in and say I'm not acti-lurking, just doing regular weekend life stuff, and trying to keep up.

I will mention Eevee is the same ole Eevee, Morgrim a very new Morgrim (liking it!), and the rest of you are still unmolded clay.  I noticed talk of cards started and stopped very quickly; I think it's for the best to leave that to subsequent days. 
Good, I was really worried you were "acti-lurking."  Oh wait, no I wasn't, because that isn't a word.  In more serious news, "talk of cards" never actually started; ehunt said "it's not a good thing to broadcast, don't do it."  End of discussion.  I suppose if I take "stopped very quickly" to mean instantly, you are right.  Otherwise, you do not know what it means to start talking about things.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: September 16, 2012, 03:31:10 pm »

Hmm.

vote: shraeye
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: September 16, 2012, 03:31:41 pm »

eHal, why are you asking me to be crazy? Do you enjoy that? If you do, then you are just as blatantly antitown as I was, and therefore deserve to he lynched.
Also, I got a bad read for not wanting to read a bunch of useless fluff every morning (which is highly likely considering the size of this town) and because I thought the Dsell -insert synonym for wagon here- was stupid?
I see your point, the town is huge and 4 people out of 13 to lynch is hardly big enough, but how does it help the town? Simple answer: IT DOESN'T.

Is this entire post addressed to me? I think you're responding to things I didn't say. Not sure because I don't fully remember what I posted, and I'm on phone right now so I don't want to check.

I'll say that I never asked you to be crazy. I said it was unusual that you weren't.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: September 16, 2012, 03:44:37 pm »

Vote: shraeye
Did not like that post. I think you are absolutely wrong in saying acti-lurking isn't a thing. It is, and a scummy as hell one at that. Not saying our differing opinions make you obvscum, but I should do as I say an start voting at some point.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: September 16, 2012, 03:46:55 pm »

Also,

Good, I was really worried you were "acti-lurking."  Oh wait, no I wasn't, because that isn't a word.  In more serious news, "talk of cards" never actually started; ehunt said "it's not a good thing to broadcast, don't do it."  End of discussion.  I suppose if I take "stopped very quickly" to mean instantly, you are right.  Otherwise, you do not know what it means to start talking about things.

Acti-lurking is an f.ds term in mafia, coined I think in MX.  I didn't make it up; glad you weren't worried about it.

It seems you are a stickler for semantics, and read peeved at my comment.  No idea why.  Your last line sounds especially hostile for such a thing.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: September 16, 2012, 03:47:52 pm »

Also, unvote.  RVS is over.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: September 16, 2012, 03:59:33 pm »

Also, unvote.  RVS is over.

who knew it was so easy to end RVS? ashersky says it and IT IS SO.

He/him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 16, 2012, 04:03:30 pm »

Also, ftl's point was an excellent one. This forum tends to want lynch active players for slips that weren't really slips. I think "when facing heat, just shut the hell up and it will go away" is a terrible meta for us as a forum, so we should really work on that.

I agree on the point of don't let people disappear their way out of arguments. However, slips are very often real and should be followed up on.

On that note, Vote: ehunt. I still think he seems to know an awful lot about how much info the scum team has and I don't like the way he's trying to boss the town around.

He/him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 16, 2012, 04:06:13 pm »

ehunt doesn't seem to want the town to talk about anything at all. We shouldn't talk about Robz, or speculate about the setup, or talk about card names, and, on the off chance that we do think of something to talk about, we should only post once a day, according to ehunt. He goes out of his way to set this up as "the right way to play."

Really, it just opens up a great place for him and his scumbuddies to hide by saying very little and claiming it's pro-town.

He/him

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #324 on: September 16, 2012, 04:28:53 pm »

vote: shraeye

No quantifiable reason just yet, but his post gave me a scum vibe.

I think I will try a vote early, vote often strategy this game.

FOS: ehunt for all the reasons jo said, but especially the "one post a day" comment. That's a strategy that's way better for scum than for town, if everyone followed it.

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 164  All

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 16 queries.