Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion by Skype thread!  (Read 5797 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Dominion by Skype thread!
« on: August 17, 2012, 09:37:01 pm »
+2

Could it work well enough?  The reasons I'd be interested in the prospect personally is:
1. To avoid double paying for expansions that I want to play with my friends and family IRL
2. Still play highly skilled players that can give me a run for my money
3. Test fan cards and variants with little to no limitation coming from a software implementation
4. My family resents when I play computer games, but would discourage less or even encourage a more social, tactile way of playing the game online.

What seems to be immediate issues is messing with the camera, knowing what's going on, and managing a cloned board state with the paper cards on both ends of the line.

One thing is, if the voice quality is good, and skype usually is, you can communicate everything verbally.  Everything in the isotropic log can just be said, and then you have an exact accounting of the game.  That seems helpful.
Another thing is, you don't need to see the tableau with the camera, so that's nice.  Just look at your tableau.  The camera doesn't need to show your face either, it can just point at the discard pile (or not, iso style, I'm down for whichever), and the deck, and the play area.   
Another issue is the kingdom piles.  You have to remove a card from the kingdom pile each time one is purchased so you know when it is empty.  If you declare treasures to be infinite, that helps some.  They basically are if you play Intrigue rules.  You can also just decide for most or all piles to be ones that probably won't run out, and just let them drain normally on both sides of the line, then count the number of copies remaining on both sides of the line and make sure more than ten remain if you get the feeling an unusually large number of Outposts are being purchased
Of course, if you are a point tracker/game state tracker kind of person, like I am, you can actually take this as an opportunity to track the game, by removing your opponent's purchases from the pile and putting them face up in a row, and there's the contents of your opponent's deck and discard pile.  You can then count your copy of the supply pile and those cards and surmise how many copies you yourself have of any particular card.

If no one has any experience with this to the tune of "no, it doesn't work, it's terrible, you always get a miscount of the number of cards in the trash pile, and then the game falls apart", then I would be interested in giving this a shot with any interested party.  Preferably a 10+ ranked player, but I'm probably a begger that can't be a chooser.  I have Base/Hinterlands, so you'd need one of those sets to try this out with me.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 10:11:10 pm by popsofctown »

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2467
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone ever attempted playing Dominion by Skype?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 10:04:26 pm »

I tried playing Scrabble via Skype once. It was very, very difficult to pull off.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4389
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 10:10:44 pm »

I've played on isotropic with a skype call before. That was quite nice.

With the actual cards, man, that seems like a lot of work, when I could just do something else with my friends who are away. Or play with my friends who are here.

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +275
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 11:10:37 pm »

I guess I might be willing to try if the time was right. PM me about it!

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 11:28:14 pm »

A friend of mine, the one that introduced me to Dominion, told me the only thing Dominion isn't good for is playing over Skype or Email. Reason: "brb gotta go to the restroom" -> Opponent gives himself rigged hand or opponent just keeps deck outside the video screen, says he has to brb, turns off microphone, and grabs the deck to give himself the best hand possible for this turn, and probably next. Then he says brb again. Also works a lot with dogs getting in your way so you have to brb to put them away or whatever "oh what... he got out of the krate -_-' brb"

No end to the tricks I can come up with in about 3 minutes for a skype game of Dominion.
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9191
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 11:35:15 pm »
+1

Well, there's something called the Honour System. :P

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 11:38:33 pm »
+2

Honor System if you are American :P

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 01:07:59 am »

Honor System if you are American :P
Honor System if you are an American Boy Scout :P
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

Schlippy

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 04:08:30 am »

Aren't there thousands of online randomizer sites? I don't see riggin' up your deck or shuffling badly a problem with these.
I do upload some Dominion videos on youtube now. :)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 12:11:39 pm »
+3

I'm not talking about playing a tournament with a cash prize.  If you cheat in a friendly game of dominion with no rating or prize, dude, you have some upsetting psychological compulsions and I guess I'm glad I could help you sate them.

@Schlippy.  I'm talking about playing with paper cards.  Can't really use an online randomizer..

P.S.  By the by, my family successfully skyped in one player to a Settlers of Catan game.  If you can do that, well..

@WW - Not sure how much trouble it will be, that's why I want to try it out.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 12:18:14 pm by popsofctown »

Schlippy

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 01:51:03 pm »

@Schlippy.  I'm talking about playing with paper cards.  Can't really use an online randomizer.
I know, but you could type in your deck into an online randomizer that gives entries one by one, send the link to the other player and voila, you have a non-rigged deck and do not need to shuffle anymore.
But thinking about it, it might be a bad idea. ^^

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 03:06:01 pm »

Then you know your deck order

Schlippy

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 03:49:08 pm »

Only if you click through it. But yeah, it probably isn't that much better than just shuffling yourself.

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2012, 04:59:42 pm »

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 09:47:20 am by () | (_) ^/ »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 05:26:40 pm »
+1

Young Nick and I tried this out.  It worked best on pure audio.  Was not as good as isotropic or playing in person, but we were able to play fully legal games at roughly the same speed.

sherwinpr

• Spy
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 08:57:41 am »

I've played two player games of Arkham Horror over Skype (actually Google Talk's voice chat, but it's the same principle).  We didn't even use video.  Now this game may lend itself a bit better, because it's co-op, but it's a much more complicated game (not in depth, but in complexity of game state, and also requires you to dig out a lot of specific bits, find certain cards, etc.) than Dominion, and it worked really fine.

I think there wouldn't be a problem doing this, you just need to realize that it's going to be slow (unless the two players have very good rapport at managing the game flow). 

Maybe you can use some counters on each of the stacks to represent the cards purchased off them, so you can verify game state quickly.  But I think putting 2 d20s on the Silver will actually slow things down.  Wait, put every card on it's own scale!  Or not...

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +275
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2012, 11:25:20 am »

pops said it best. It's not quite as good as Iso or IRL, but at pure audio, the game moves quickly and you have a pretty good sense of game state. Whenever your opponent buys something (and they must make it loud and clear) you just remove that card and set it aside in their "stack." Keep their stack face down, but it still allows you to accurately count how many cards are left in piles. We got this mixed up once or twice (thinking there were two Gardens left when there was only one, for example), but by our third game all was going relatively smoothly. 

Personman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
    • My Friendfeed
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2012, 09:35:20 pm »

I've played Magic over Skype, with moderate success. Dominion seems much easier, I'm glad you guys made it work!
My youtube channel. Isoptropic games with commentary!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2012, 08:56:18 pm »

The more you play Dominion by voice, the easier it gets.  I'm starting to wonder if the disorientation from playing this way should be thought of as a lower quality of format, or just an adjustment period to a new way of playing.

If we play it as a slight variant (isotropic is a slight variant yknow, the top card of your discard is hidden) by changing treasure plays to "I play X coins worth of treasure", gameplay is pretty darn smooth.

If anyone else is interested in trying Skypinion, shoot me a pm. 

(does anyone know someone who has a gamer trapped inside their heart but is blind?  Because it occurs to me that I think a blind person could genuinely play dominion by voice.  Braille cards ofc.)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.764 seconds with 22 queries.