Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #230: Orange is the new Brown  (Read 1422 times)

Snorka

• Thief
  • he/him or they/them- no preference
  • Respect: +101
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #230: Orange is the new Brown
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2024, 06:40:04 pm »

This looks incredibly weak. Negative draw (it is basically -3 Cards) for payload is rarely worth it. Even if you set aside Copper and Silver or whatever and they play some copies, it seems weaker than Secret Cave.
The cards(almost always Action cards) are set aside from play, not from your hand. It's not negative draw.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1587
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2024, 06:41:34 pm »

This looks incredibly weak. Negative draw (it is basically -3 Cards) for payload is rarely worth it. Even if you set aside Copper and Silver or whatever and they play some copies, it seems weaker than Secret Cave.
The cards(almost always Action cards) are set aside from play, not from your hand. It's not negative draw.
Sorry, I misread. Then it is potentially decent.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1724
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2024, 06:53:53 pm »
+1

What happens to the set aside cards when this card leaves play?

Snorka

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2024, 07:32:50 pm »

What happens to the set aside cards when this card leaves play?
Good point. I'm updating!

LTaco

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LTaco
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2024, 12:02:18 pm »
+2

I have a few notes on this: You should only be allowed to set aside cards that don't have an effect any more. To that effect it should either be non-Duration cards or (Action?) cards you would discard from play this turn. Secondly, You should specify that it needs to be a copy of a set-aside card that the other player plays. The way it is worded right now, the effect never happens. Thirdly, you could clean up the wording a little, taking inspiration from Monkey: "Set aside up to 2 [...] cards [...]. Until your next turn, when the player to your right plays a copy of one of the set-aside cards, add a token here. At the start of your next turn, remove them for +$1 each and discard the set-aside cards." Lastly, I question whether the generic tokens on the card are necessary when paying out Coffers straight away would accomplish the same thing.

grrgrrgrr

• Duke
  • Respect: +488
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2024, 01:06:46 pm »

48 hours left

Sorry. I am quite busy.

grrgrrgrr

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2024, 01:11:32 pm »
+2

Remaster
Action - Duration ($5)

Add 2 tokens here. While any remain, at the start of each of your turns, add a token here.
After you play an Action card, you may remove 1 or more tokens from this to trash a card from your hand and gain a card costing $1 more per token removed.

FAQ:
- This gets 2 tokens on it when you play it, and passively gets 1 more each turn as long as it doesn't run out.
- If it runs out of tokens, discard it from play at the end of the turn.
- You can use the tokens on it right after playing it (as it itself is an Action).

Love this prompt, you can interpet it in quite a few ways it seems. Here's my shot at it.

Remaster is a little bit like Butcher; it's a $5 Remodeler that you can use as a standard Remodel if you want. But it can also build over multiple turns like Butcher. Where it differs is its Duration nature, the fact that each Remaster has is its own tokens (as opposed to the pool of Coffers shared by all Butchers), and the fact that Remaster can trash multiple cards in one turn and even cards that aren't yet in your hand when you play it.

Looking forward to how this contest unfolds!

One question: does "costing $1 more per token" mean "costing EXACTLY $1 more per token" or "costing UP TO $1 more per token"?

Snorka

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2024, 05:46:03 pm »

I have a few notes on this: You should only be allowed to set aside cards that don't have an effect any more. To that effect it should either be non-Duration cards or (Action?) cards you would discard from play this turn. Secondly, You should specify that it needs to be a copy of a set-aside card that the other player plays. The way it is worded right now, the effect never happens. Thirdly, you could clean up the wording a little, taking inspiration from Monkey: "Set aside up to 2 [...] cards [...]. Until your next turn, when the player to your right plays a copy of one of the set-aside cards, add a token here. At the start of your next turn, remove them for +$1 each and discard the set-aside cards." Lastly, I question whether the generic tokens on the card are necessary when paying out Coffers straight away would accomplish the same thing.
Thank you for the feedback. I've edited the card to work technically, but it's pushing the limits of wordiness here and honestly not that good. So if I come up with a better idea before the contest is over I'll retract Investor Cruise.

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +402
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2024, 10:51:48 pm »

Remaster
Action - Duration ($5)

Add 2 tokens here. While any remain, at the start of each of your turns, add a token here.
After you play an Action card, you may remove 1 or more tokens from this to trash a card from your hand and gain a card costing $1 more per token removed.

FAQ:
- This gets 2 tokens on it when you play it, and passively gets 1 more each turn as long as it doesn't run out.
- If it runs out of tokens, discard it from play at the end of the turn.
- You can use the tokens on it right after playing it (as it itself is an Action).

Love this prompt, you can interpet it in quite a few ways it seems. Here's my shot at it.

Remaster is a little bit like Butcher; it's a $5 Remodeler that you can use as a standard Remodel if you want. But it can also build over multiple turns like Butcher. Where it differs is its Duration nature, the fact that each Remaster has is its own tokens (as opposed to the pool of Coffers shared by all Butchers), and the fact that Remaster can trash multiple cards in one turn and even cards that aren't yet in your hand when you play it.

Looking forward to how this contest unfolds!

One question: does "costing $1 more per token" mean "costing EXACTLY $1 more per token" or "costing UP TO $1 more per token"?

Sorry, that’s supposed to be exactly $1 per token removed, mainly to avoid mowing through the Province pile once you get your first one or two.
I’ll update the post.
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

Snorka

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2024, 12:19:05 pm »
+1

Most of the cards you discard will be during Clean-up. But not all of them!

infangthief

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +719
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2024, 12:31:16 pm »

Most of the cards you discard will be during Clean-up. But not all of them!

What does "than any other player" refer to? More tokens on this Treasure Cruise than on any other single player's Treasure Cruises? Or should I somehow be able to distinguish the tokens which I put on my Treasure Cruise as opposed to the tokens which each other player put on my Treasure Cruise? Or something else?

Snorka

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2024, 03:20:33 pm »
+1

What does "than any other player" refer to? More tokens on this Treasure Cruise than on any other single player's Treasure Cruises? Or should I somehow be able to distinguish the tokens which I put on my Treasure Cruise as opposed to the tokens which each other player put on my Treasure Cruise? Or something else?

Each player has a separate pile of tokens on each Treasure Cruise, like how Sinister Plot works.

grrgrrgrr

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2024, 01:27:23 pm »

Contest closed!
Results will come up shortly.

grrgrrgrr

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2024, 05:31:34 pm »
+3

First of all, I'm really surprised by the amount of likes the OP has; seems this contest is well received by the community. And lots of good submissions too! But there can only be one winner. So let the judging begin!

Extorter by Gamer3000
A variation on Quartermaster! It can be a faster and gain more expensive cards. But it is dependent on the opponent's drawing capabilities. When the opposing player has a well functioning engine, they will make it wiff completely, but when they wiff, you can potentially nab a province with it. It looks very unreliable, but getting 8 tokens while having multiple copies in play is a huge swing. Looks pretty annoying to play with and play against. It also doesn't help that I'm not a fan of Jester.

Apocalypticist by infangthief
A variation on Distant Lands. It is quite a bit cheaper, but in exchange, you are forced to predict how many turns there are left; and you really don't want the prediction to be too low. It is cool to have a card that rewards you for being able to make these kinds of predictions. On the flipside, Distand Lands isn't that great, so having a worse version can be iffy. But the $3 pricepoint makes it great with Ironworks and Groom, and generally less of an opportunity cost to use.

Sidenote: Don't think a 20 token cap makes much sense. 10 is probably enough.

Finalist

Burden Beasts (and Elephant) by BryGuy
First of all, I think the scaling to multiple opponents is terrible; better to make the card only accumulate tokens when the opponent on the left (or right) is gaining a card. Also, it is not at all clear from the text that it will discard from play if it lacks any tokens on clean-up.

The main problem that this card is essentially "For the rest of the game, gain an Elephant at the start of your turn." This is because (in 2P), you can only remove one token per turn and accumulating is very easy, as gaining stuff is generally the only means of progress and Burden Beasts itself unlocks the possibility to gain multiple cards in a turn. This, in conjunction with the fact that Elephants are way stronger than Horses and the card has a non-terminal on-play effect, makes the card vastly overtuned and not very interesting.

Metropolis
$4
Action - Duration
+1 Card and +2 Actions.
This turn, when you gain a card costing $5 or $6, you may add a token here. At the start of your turn, you may remove a token from this to trash a card from your hand for +1 Card. Repeat as desired.
Metropolis by JW
When I first saw the submission, I read past the "you may" part and thought, man, this is going to be cumbersome. But luckily, this wasn't going to be the case. I expect this to be somewhat slow and frustrating to use if this is the only trasher in the game, because if you don't his $5 after using this, you will feel very sad. And even then, it also kinda needs to appear in the start of the shuffle, otherwise you are also in for sad times. Due to this, it will also feel itself being easily outclassed by other trashers (that don't start with a P) and in those cases, it's just an expensive Village.

Bread Basket by MochaMoko
Hey, a cost based TfB card where the cost determines how it stays out and how long the benefit lasts. This is something we haven't seen before and it's an excellent use of the Token mechanic. For removing the Coppers and Estates, it is not the best but that's fine as it works nice as a complementary trasher that chews on the other trasher when the time has come. Speaking of which, its best use will probably be to get rid of a card that has outlasted its use when the game has +Buy or gainers, as it essentially self-ejects. The +1 Coffers, +1 Villager each turn is quite strong as we've seen with Silk Merchant, but likely not overbearingly strong.

EDIT: I misread; it's +1 Coffers OR +1 Villager. A lot weaker but still pretty decent. Makes the submission even better!

Finalist

Shares (and Divident) byOptimal_Inefficiency
One thing that makes this submission loose on the spot is that it has an in-games-using-this part on the non-supply card. This is bad as it makes the rule more hidden. On top of that, non-Supply cards are essentially used in any game; they just fail to have any impact whatsoever if there is no way of gaining them. It is clear why you went for this route, but this should be a sign that your submission is overstuffed. I also don't think this part is necessary at all.

The card itself looks like a twist on Groundskeeper. It is lower-scoring and putting it in play requires terminal space. But once in play, it keeps doing its job unless you remove the last token from it. This undermines part of the challenge that comes with Groundskeeper. But there is more: Exchanging tokens for VP cards is pretty strong as these VP cards net more points and also adds more tokens to other Shares piles. This looks like a pretty nutty package for $3. I haven't even talked about Divident, which is pretty strong as well in the end game.

Ledger by faust
The nerf in comparison to the first entry is good, but the effect still feels pretty obscene. In a game without handsize attacks, you can make sure it doesn't get discarded before producing $5. That is a lot, and on the way, it produces $1 to $4 without bothering your deck with a stop card. And it shouldn't be too hard to make it not wiff before hitting even higher numbers. And even on the turns you fail to have the required amount of cards in hand, you still get the money. Maybe playtesting will prove otherwise, but it feels way off balance.

Remaster by AJL828
A very curious card for the Remodel-variants-whose-names-get-more-uncreative-as-time-goes-on family (like seriously, they called the wackiest one Change!!)

I think the concept is pretty awesome, but I'm skeptical on whether the token-harvest part is a good idea. The use case is that it first trashes early game stuff, ideally by staying in play (it can perform the Remake/Upgrade trick by spending a single token). Then it gathers a whole lot of tokens that in the end game can be used to convert Golds (or even $5 costs) into Provinces. Although it only accumulates one token per turn, this feels pretty unbalanced. On the flipside, if you forego the token part, this may be too clunky or uninteresting. I was in awe the first time I saw this, but I got skeptical afterwards.

Auxiliairies by LTaco
Auxiliairies is a terminal "one-shot Silver" like Search. It even costs $4 and its Duration part is always a couple of turns away; nothing you can do about that. But it enhances the 3rd, 4th and 5th quite significantly. In some games, these are the only turns in which more than one terminal can be played! It will be very board dependent whether this is worth the opportunity cost and this is not worth gaining in the lategame, but that also makes the card interesting. It's hard to see how balanced this is, but it is certainly original.

Sidenote: I think this should have "non-Duration" in its text.

Finalist

Mission by Udzu
You know that Mission already exists, right?

Anyway, this looks like the card of the inferiority complexes. It works very much like a Chapel; it trashes a lot of stuff and you can do virtually nothing on the turn played thanks to the debt it gives. And while +1 card per trash is nice, it also makes the card near-garantueed to miss the shuffle, making it harder to get multiple trashes. You can also put much debt on it, but then it becomes an inferior Donate. Granted, Chapel and Donate are both extremely strong, so it isn't inherently bad to have a card that is almost completely inferior to them (especially when Silver Mine exists). But that does give it a hard time to make it to the finals.

Plot by 4est
This is a pretty decent way of turning an overtuned Project into a not-so-overtuned card. It compares extremely poorly Expedition: Expedition immediately yields 2 cards while this can only do this if i has accumulated tokens for 2 turns, i.e. the 3rd turn after playing! For that reason, this probably should've been priced at $2 or it should already accumulate a token on play (probably the latter). I lowkey agree that this should have the return-this-to-its-pile effect.

Mirror Goblin
$4 - Action - Attack
Gain a Horse or a card costing up to $3.
Each other player reveals the top card of their deck and, if it's an Action or Treasure costing at least $3, they discard it.
-
When you gain this, Exile it and gain a Cursed Mirror.
Mirror goblin (and Cursed Mirror) by LibraryAdventurer
This is kinda all over the place mechanically, and not in a particularly good way. It'd be more logical if the Cursed Mirror was the Supply card, because now, you can immediately free the Mirror Goblin while you gain it.

On top of that, Mirror Goblin does not stay in Exile when you play it from there. This means that adding tokens for Cursed Mirror becomes meaningless pretty fast. And when that happens, Cursed Mirror is just a junk card. This makes Mirror Goblin, an already underwhelming Workshop variant, particularly unappealing.

EDIT: The Cursed Mirror says "leaving it there", which I missed. Although it makes the submission a lot better (both effective and quality wise), it also makes it even more confusing why Mirror Goblin is the gainable card as opposed to Cursed Mirror (and why Mirror Goblin would go to Exile of all things). Also, in the presence of spammable cards costing $2 or $3, Cursed Mirror seems a little too good at draining those piles.

Choir
+2 Cards
Place 1 token here.
During your Action phases, you may remove a token from here to play an Action card from your hand that you have a copy of in play.
$5 Action Duration
Choir by stechaffle
I initially wrote this off as something that could've been a Reserve card. But Reserve cards leave play, and this not leaving play is extremely instrumental for the card's viability. This makes me really like the submission! It still feels a tad hard to use, but then again, Lab is a little bit too easy to use and the ability to somehow transfer the +1 action to next turn is a neat upside.

Finalist

Banker
Action/Duration - $3
+$2
At the end of your buy phase, pay your remaining $ to put 1 token per $ paid on this. At the start of your next turn, remove all tokens for +$1 per token. +1 Buy if you removed any.
Banker by NoMoreFun
This is a decent way of enabling money transfer between turns in a non-broken way. The +1 Buy next turn is very much warranted to give it some extra juice. That being said, early or midgame phase, you'd rather spend as much money as possible on each turn and the terminal space this card uses can really sting. And Pageant handles excess money much better in my opinion. So this is still pretty decent, but a tad weak overall.

Treasure Cruise by Snorka
This Smithy variation is potentially even worse than Smithy as it stays out for a turn. Getting 3 spoils is sweet but your deck may not even be able to handle the new stop cards, and the fact that you may leave out your Treasure Cruise for nothing is just painful (though the +3 cards definitely helps you winning the race). It also sounds absolutely awful to resolve this card in real life.

This gives us the following runnder-ups:

4. Choir by Steffaffle
3. Apocalypticist by infangthief
2. Auxiliairies by LTacot

And the winner is:

1. Bread Basket by MochaMoko

Congrats to MochaMoka for winning this contest and thanks to all participants for their submissions!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2024, 06:56:44 pm by grrgrrgrr »

JW

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1855
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2024, 05:52:42 pm »
+1

It looks like you evaluated Bread Basket as if it gave Coffers and Villagers each turn that you remove a token, but it’s a choice of one or the other.

grrgrrgrr

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2024, 06:09:27 pm »
+1

It looks like you evaluated Bread Basket as if it gave Coffers and Villagers each turn that you remove a token, but it’s a choice of one or the other.

I see. Thanks for pointing out! Doesn't change the placements.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1724
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2024, 06:21:35 pm »
+2

This is kinda all over the place mechanically, and not in a particularly good way. It'd be more logical if the Cursed Mirror was the Supply card, because now, you can immediately free the Mirror Goblin while you gain it.

On top of that, Mirror Goblin does not stay in Exile when you play it from there. This means that adding tokens for Cursed Mirror becomes meaningless pretty fast. And when that happens, Cursed Mirror is just a junk card. This makes Mirror Goblin, an already underwhelming Workshop variant, particularly unappealing.
I'm thinking most of the time at least, you wouldn't want to discard the Mirror Goblin from Exile because it's stronger when it plays itself automatically without taking up as much terminal space. And Mirror Goblin does stay in Exile when you play it from there because Cursed Mirror says "leaving it there". Did you miss that?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2024, 06:22:58 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

grrgrrgrr

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2024, 06:46:38 pm »
+1

I'm thinking most of the time at least, you wouldn't want to discard the Mirror Goblin from Exile because it's stronger when it plays itself automatically without taking up as much terminal space. And Mirror Goblin does stay in Exile when you play it from there because Cursed Mirror says "leaving it there". Did you miss that?

Holycrap, you're right. I missed that. Sorry for that. It indeed renders this feedback invalid, but I still wouldn't add this submission to the shortlist.

MochaMoko

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MochaMoko
  • Respect: +155
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2024, 10:49:12 pm »
+1

Thanks for the judging! This was a cooler prompt than I initially expected. My first reaction was "wow how am I supposed to make a simple card that doesn't go over 7 lines" -- but I came up with three ideas this week, which is three more than I usually do. I'm not going to make card images for them, but let me share them here. They also don't beat Bread Basket imo.

Outhouse
⑤ Night - Duration
Spend any number of
Actions, Buys, and/or 〇 to
put that many tokens here.
At the start of your turns,
you may remove some to gain
a card to your hand costing
up to ② per token removed.
Silversmith
④ Action - Duration
+②
Until you discard this, when
you gain or play a Silver:
Add a token here, then you
may discard this to gain an
Action costing up to ② per
token you had here.

Wacky gainers, with lots of potential as payload. How many Silvers can that deck of yours handle?

I'll have the next one up soon.

infangthief

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +719
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2024, 02:50:07 am »

Good contest, thanks grrgrrgrr.

Apocalypticist by infangthief
Sidenote: Don't think a 20 token cap makes much sense. 10 is probably enough.
There are situations in which a player may be forced into having an Apocalypticist early in the game (eg via Swindler or the Inherited trait). If that happens I think it is more fun if you get to make a long-range guess.

Udzu

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2024, 04:58:56 am »

You know that Mission already exists, right?

Oops. I expect I missed that because of the completely different meaning of Mission.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.