Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion: Sorcery  (Read 2158 times)

Tiago

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Tiago84
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
Dominion: Sorcery
« on: May 27, 2024, 02:17:22 am »
+6

Dominion: Sorcery

This is a fan expansion I've been making. The theme is megaturns, and the cards try to support that. It uses the new mechanics Shadow and Spells (explained later). Credit to itIsSometimesMonday for designing some cards, and stars, Survlv, and a bunch of other people for playtesting.

I'd really appreciate feedback, especially on balance, since most of the playtesting so far has been done by beginners. Feel free to criticize me as much as you want - I'd appreciate it.

Thanks to StrangerSon712, MochaMoko, GarveyParvenu, jmclaus, crlundy, Syliara, something_smart, BryGuy, D782802859 for their feedback. Tell me if I missed you here.

Cards with no new mechanics:

Shadow mat

Originally this was the Abyss mat: "at the start of your turn, play all cards here twice." Then, "during your turns, you may play cards from here." That was terrible. Then I saw czzzz's Shadow mat (thanks czzzz!) - https://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21916.0 and thought, that's so much better. So I used it, although I made some changes.

Shadow mat: After playing a card, you may flip a copy of it from here face down, to replay it. At the end of each of your turns, return face down cards whose replayed card is no longer in play to their piles.

You do get VP from Victory cards on your Shadow mat. There are 20 copies of Elf.

Spellcasters

At the start of a game using Spells, each player adds an Invoke to their deck.

Because of the cantrip option, it's just like not having it. Each player also gets a "Prepared" token. Deal out the top one to three Spells (not sure how many is best yet), and those will be the Spells for the whole game. No other ones will be used. When a card tells you to prepare a Spell, move your Prepared token to a Spell. When you play your Invoke, you can choose, instead of the cantrip option, to play the Spell that you've prepared, leaving it there, and removing your Prepared token.

Spells

Events

Thanks for looking at this!

Edit: Removed Enchanted Army, there's now 20 copies of Elf, added on-gain restriction to Grimoire
Edit: replaced Athenaeum with Friendly Village (although kept name & image) becuase it was boring me
Edit: added some Events
Edit: changed Shadow mat wording
Edit: changed image on Reborn Village, Caverns, Athenaeum, Crystal, and Conflagration, changed Thaumaturgy->Thaumaturge, changed Conflagration
Edit: changed Spell returning rules, added Crystallize, Plot, Convene, Telekinesis, Illusions, Simulacra, Wander, Metallurgy
Edit: replaced Genie with a Gold gainer since Genie caused AP (but kept name and image)
Edit: added Projection, removed Illusions, Strategist -> Prophet, Dragon is draw-to-X, Golden Skull -> Beldam, added new Spell version
Edit: changed Underworld wording, changed Trailblazer wording and image (the old one clearly held a waterbottle), changed Dark Ritual
Edit: Telekinesis added once per turn, Beldam added "unused", removed on-gain on Pathway, simplified and changed image on Doppelganger
Edit: renamed cards, made new way of doing Spells permanent, fixed more cards, added Duel, fixed Duel
Edit: added rulebook, renamed Foresight -> Vision
« Last Edit: August 12, 2024, 07:45:45 pm by Tiago »

destinyking

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Sorcery
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2024, 12:11:23 pm »
+1

Haven't checked all the cards but Warlock is way too strong (too cheap for early junking) while Golden Skull (being a $5 card) requires more set up than Warlock to be good?

Tiago

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2024, 12:30:59 pm »
+1

Haven't checked all the cards but Warlock is way too strong (too cheap for early junking) while Golden Skull (being a $5 card) requires more set up than Warlock to be good?

Is Warlock that good? You need to line it up with an Action card. By the time you can do that it's probably around the time a Witch starts cursing, and the difference is that your deck is not progressing much. It hasn't been tested much though, so you could totally be right.

Golden Skull for sure is harder to activate than Warlock, but a Peddler is so much better than a terminal silver. And Warlock actively harms your deck.

StrangerSon712

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2024, 02:38:50 pm »
+2

Fun! The Spells especially. Wizard, Scroll, and Mage seem strong.

There’s 1 copy of each Spell, right?

Tiago

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2024, 02:49:40 pm »
+3

Fun! The Spells especially. Wizard, Scroll, and Mage seem strong.

There’s 1 copy of each Spell, right?

Right now, yes, although I'm wondering if doing it like Loot would be better. I'm leaning towards no so that you can't do things like double Divination.

Mage used to cost $5 and it was much too weak. Hopefully the $3 version is not too bad.

itIsSometimesMonday

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dominionator15
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2024, 10:44:04 pm »
+1

Note to everyone that if a card here looks bad, I prolly made it  :P
Do I Exist? Is it Monday? What is the meaning of life? Why am I doing this? Why am I a village idiot™? Am I a village idiot™? Why am I so inactive on Shuffle iT? Why am I so bad on Shuffle iT?

Zzing15

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2024, 01:10:10 am »
+1

Pretty cool overall. I don’t think I’m qualified to give too much advice on card balance but, I imagine some of these cards could lead to pretty fast games.

Tiago

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2024, 07:08:11 pm »
+1

I've added some Events. I'll add a few more every week, so check back for updates!

Tiago

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2024, 06:24:39 pm »

I've added 12 Events and a new, less chaotic and random way to play with Spells. I've also changed a lot of the cards. At the bottom is a list of edits. Feedback appreciated.

BryGuy

• Duke
  • Respect: +225
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2024, 10:41:36 pm »
+1

:)                                                  :)
I sincerely offer my thoughts:
* Doppelganger: Instead of "... to gain a copy of it." it might be more clear to state "... to gain a copy of the revealed card."
* Athenaeum: It may be problematic to have other players play an action on their turn. It would be less problematic to just give them something simple, like a Villager or Coffer.
* Genie: Gold for $4 is quite nice, but the draw-back is slight. Maybe instead of just Silver and Gold you could do any non-Copper Treasure?
* Arcanist: seams like a $4 at least.
* Warlock: seams like a $4 at least.
* Burgh: This could cost $3.
* Chalice: interesting
* Reborn Village: interesting
* Beldam: Instead of "If you have 3 or more Actions, each ..." it might be more clear to state "If you have 3 or more Actions in play, each ..."
* Pathway: interesting
* Trailblazer: $1 seams very week for a card that cost $5. I'd up that to $2. I'd put the +Buy at the top of the card for both conditions. Instead of "... you have in play ..." it might be more clear to state "... you have in play (including this) ..."
* Prophet: interesting
* Dragon: interesting
* Sanctum: interesting
* Underworld: The above the line text could simply be "Put your Deck into your Discard. Put two cards from your Discard into your Hand."
* Conflagration: interesting
* Enchanted Forest: interesting

« Last Edit: June 17, 2024, 11:16:09 pm by BryGuy »

Tiago

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2024, 11:21:32 pm »
+1

Doppelganger: you gain a copy of the card you reacted to gaining, but I'll add "the gained card" next time I print to make that clearer. Although gaining a copy of a revealed card could be interesting, maybe I'll try that.
Athenaeum: it is problematic and makes games take forever (at least with beginners). Sadly Villagers and Coffers are not in this expansion. I do love the simplicity of it, Village but everyone gets another Action. I could do each other player draws and discards a card if it turns out to be too much of a problem.
Genie: good idea. I'll change that next time I print.
Arcanist, Warlock: is there a problem with opening with 2 of them? If there isn't a clear issue I'd rather keep it as I have too many expensive cards already.
Burgh: In fact, it did cost until a few weeks ago! I decided it was too easy to spam and I like it better at .
Beldam: it counts Actions, like the things you get from Village, not Actions in play. Everyone gets confused by that and I haven't figured out how to fix it yet. Maybe it should count Actions in play, that might be better.
Trailblazer: well it's a Smithy primarily, and if you're drawing with it the later ones might produce $5 or $6 even. It's not at all thoroughly tested so I'll try it. +Buy at the top seems cleaner; next time I print I'll change that.
Underworld: yes, I didn't know about the errata saying you didn't need "look through your discard pile" when I made it. Changing that right now!

Thanks! I really appreciate this.

Tiago

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2024, 11:36:58 pm »

Updated Trailblazer and Underworld with your suggestions. They look so much better now!

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1548
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2024, 09:46:41 am »
+2

If there is a Souk and you have less than 3 cards in your hand, you can play this endlessly, and generate an unlimited amount of $. There are some other (multi card/landscape) combos that can get you there, but this one is the most straightforward.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

D782802859

• Explorer
  • Respect: +421
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2024, 09:50:21 am »
+1

Beldam could specify unused actions like Diadem does for clarity.
Pathway and Trailblazer both seem fairly insane, Pathway could probably do without the on-gain and Trailblazer without the +Buy (or shift the +Buy to the deck empty mode).
Thaumaturge seems extremely underpowered for its cost relative to the other spell-gainers.
Wander should be "to gain", and "unused actions" could help with clarity like on Beldam.
Really cool set!

Tiago

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2024, 09:58:20 am »
+1

Should have seen this. Once per turn should fix it.

Pathway and Trailblazer both seem fairly insane, Pathway could probably do without the on-gain and Trailblazer without the +Buy (or shift the +Buy to the deck empty mode).
Thaumaturge seems extremely underpowered for its cost relative to the other spell-gainers.
Wander should be "to gain", and "unused actions" could help with clarity like on Beldam.
Really cool set!

Beldam and Wander I will fix right now.
Thaumaturge's main strength is that if you see a Spell that both players really want (Energize with no Villages for example) you can immediately get it. I'll try it as a cantrip though.
Pathway is overpowered, I will try it without the on-gain.
How is Trailblazer insane? And how does removing +Buy fix that? Possibly I just don't see it generate as much as it could since none of my playtesters draw their deck consistently.

D782802859

• Explorer
  • Respect: +421
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2024, 10:17:24 am »
+1

Trailblazer's +3 Cards +1 Buy is a pretty strong baseline effect, and it also being payload seems pretty high power, it's basically every part of an engine except a village. It could play as weaker than it looks though.

BryGuy

• Duke
  • Respect: +225
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2024, 12:51:34 pm »
+1

Athenaeum: it is problematic and makes games take forever (at least with beginners). Sadly Villagers and Coffers are not in this expansion. I do love the simplicity of it, Village but everyone gets another Action. I could do each other player draws and discards a card if it turns out to be too much of a problem.
Arcanist, Warlock: is there a problem with opening with 2 of them? If there isn't a clear issue I'd rather keep it as I have too many expensive cards already.

Thanks! I really appreciate this.
i am glad to be of assistance.
Arcanist: to keep at $3, i'd remove "Silver or" and change "+2 Cards" to either "+1 Action" or "+1 Card"
Warlock: to keep at $3, i'd either change "+$2" to either "+1 Card" or "Discard a treasure for +$2."
As they are, i'd suspect players would readily gain one before many other $3-cost cards and if they can get enough actions, then get many more.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2024, 12:53:43 pm by BryGuy »

Tiago

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2024, 03:20:05 pm »
+1

Really cool set!

Fixed Pathway and Beldam. Thanks, this is really helpful.

i am glad to be of assistance.
Arcanist: to keep at $3, i'd remove "Silver or" and change "+2 Cards" to either "+1 Action" or "+1 Card"
Warlock: to keep at $3, i'd either change "+$2" to either "+1 Card" or "Discard a treasure for +$2."
As they are, i'd suspect players would readily gain one before many other $3-cost cards and if they can get enough actions, then get many more.

I don't think they need to be nerfed. With just +1 Action or +1 Card on Arcanist, it's worse than a cantrip, i.e. you get it just for the attack. And the attack is actually really weak because they can play everything else first. So I think Arcanist is way weaker than both Enchantress and Stowaway.
Warlock's a terminal silver, it's only good if you're Cursing. And cursing with Warlock has a built-in cost, so we don't need to punish people for buying it.

Udzu

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +186
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2024, 04:32:14 am »
+1

I'm somewhat confused about how Spells currently work. My best guesses are:

1. If the Kingdom contains any card that mentions preparing Spells, then Invoke will be added to the starting decks and 3 random Spells will be included (not in the Supply).
2. Preparing a Spell requires playing an Action that tells you to do so and involves moving a token to the Spell.
3. Casting the Spell requires (..no idea..) and probably involves removing the token and performing the Spell action.

Tiago

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2024, 10:05:57 am »
+1

I'm somewhat confused about how Spells currently work. My best guesses are:

1. If the Kingdom contains any card that mentions preparing Spells, then Invoke will be added to the starting decks and 3 random Spells will be included (not in the Supply).
2. Preparing a Spell requires playing an Action that tells you to do so and involves moving a token to the Spell.
3. Casting the Spell requires (..no idea..) and probably involves removing the token and performing the Spell action.

Sorry, I can see that I didn't explain it well.
1. Yes
2. Preparing a Spell involves having a Supply card tell you to "prepare a Spell," which means you put your token on one of the Spells. Right now, Wizard, Wraith, Mage, Crystal, Thaumaturge, and Scroll all let you prepare Spells, and that's what shows you to add Spells to the game. (So yes.)
3. You cast a Spell by playing the Invoke that you started with and choosing the second option, which plays the Spell that you've prepared, leaving it there, and you take your token off.
Does this help? (I'll fix the OP as well.)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2024, 10:10:40 am by Tiago »

Ritzy

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2024, 04:51:51 pm »
+1

Ah gotcha! I misread what Invoke did (and didn't think hard enough about its name) so didn't spot that. Thanks for the explanation.

Udzu

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +186
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2024, 05:07:40 am »
+1

Another question: is Enchantment supposed to be recursive? I.e. if you buy and gain a Duchy, can you trigger it to gain a Smithy, and then trigger it off that gain to also gain a Village, etc?

Tiago

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2024, 10:19:31 am »
+1

Another question: is Enchantment supposed to be recursive? I.e. if you buy and gain a Duchy, can you trigger it to gain a Smithy, and then trigger it off that gain to also gain a Village, etc?

Yes, that's what makes it good. It looks innocent but is one of the craziest Spells.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.