Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #212: Three's Company  (Read 2353 times)

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +493
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #212: Three's Company
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2024, 06:12:46 am »
+2

Withdrawn. Came up with a idea i like more

Logistics
$3 Action-duration

Either now or at the start of your next turn, Look through your discard pile and put two cards from it into your hand; for each one that you can't, +1 Card.

I like the discard pile effect draw effect of mountain village. it doesnt seem like theres any dominon card that mimics it closely on this point. so heres a draw card

On one hand, just +2 cards is usually reserved for 2$ cards (exception arise for strong cards with another effect)
but this card both lets you fetch 2 cards from your discard pile, and lets you choose between this turn and the next like barge.
Maybe this should be 4$ but that just feels too high for me. also, that wouldnt allow me to post it for this competition
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 09:18:55 am by fika monster »
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2024, 10:53:23 am »
+2

Puppet Strings - $3
Treasure/Attack

+$1
Each player (including you) may play a non-Attack Action or Treasure from their hand.
Each player who didn't discards down to 3 cards in hand.

So opponents generate $ by playing copper but can't use it?

Also this helps opponents a lot if they have terminal draw, which will be quite often.

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2024, 11:40:41 am »

Puppet Strings - $3
Treasure/Attack

+$1
Each player (including you) may play a non-Attack Action or Treasure from their hand.

Why not have the discard down to 3 be mandatory?
That way the opponent cant play a smithy for no cost.

You could also have the discard be down to 4

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2024, 12:00:13 pm »
+1

So opponents generate $ by playing copper but can't use it?

Also this helps opponents a lot if they have terminal draw, which will be quite often.
Yes, in many hands, you have a choice of (effectively) discarding a Copper or 2 cards.

I'm aware that it can help the opponent, this is by design. It's a cheap Attack after all, shouldn't be too good.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1445
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2024, 02:06:41 pm »
+2

Puppet Strings - $3
Treasure/Attack

+$1

Why not have the discard down to 3 be mandatory?
That way the opponent cant play a smithy for no cost.

You could also have the discard be down to 4
The card is far more interesting if it allows terminal draw, as you then have to consider running multiple copies.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2024, 02:56:48 pm »
+1

I agree it's more interesting. I also think this effect is very weak in most games, though that may be fine

SignError

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: SignError
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2024, 03:04:42 pm »

I agree it's more interesting. I also think this effect is very weak in most games, though that may be fine

The Attack may be situational, but don’t forget that it’s also a Treasure village for the person who played it, which is comparable to Squire’s first option.  It’s also a lot like Lute from previous contest.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2024, 03:09:08 pm »

Yeah but the attack is not occasionally good and otherwise meh, it's occasionally good and otherwise a gigantic downside. It doesn't really matter whether it's an above rate effect for yourself, you just can't play it in those cases

Ethan

• Bishop
  • Respect: +192
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2024, 07:10:00 am »
+7

Granary -
Project
At the start of your turn, set aside a card from your hand, and put it into your hand at end of turn (after drawing).
« Last Edit: March 09, 2024, 01:06:45 am by Ethan »

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2024, 09:20:18 am »
+10

New entry:

Anchor
Project 3$ cost

When you gain a card, you may put it onto the bottom of your deck.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1683
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2024, 01:10:47 pm »
+2

« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 04:36:28 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2024, 01:51:20 pm »
+1

Given that you want thinning early and extra Buys late, the overpay effect is pretty weird on this particular card.

Tiago

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: tserridge
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2024, 12:14:10 am »

https://shardofhonor.github.io/dominion-card-generator/?title=Corral&description=%2B%242%0A%0AThe%20next%20time%20you%20gain%20a%20Victory%20card%2C%20gain%20a%20Horse.&type=Action%20-%20Duration&credit=&creator=&price=%243&preview=&type2=&color2split=1&boldkeys=&picture-x=0&picture-y=0&picture-zoom=1&traveller=false&trait=false&picture=https%3A%2F%2Fdavisgates.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F12%2Fpage_2.94191206_std.jpg&expansion=&custom-icon=&color0=4&color1=0&size=0

Corral, Action - Duration, $3

+$2

The next time you gain a Victory card, gain a Horse.

I wanted to make a spiker and this is what I got. I feel like maybe it should be +$3 but that compared unfavorably to Stockpile. Opening with 2 of these might be too good, but then they also might collide. This is my first time submitting to a challenge so any feedback is appreciated.

Edit: it used to be +$4.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2024, 10:56:34 pm by Tiago »

Tiago

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2024, 12:39:46 am »

I also can't figure out how to directly post an image. Can anyone help with that?

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2024, 02:21:25 am »

This is obviously too good. Sure, you cannot use it for building but in the endgame it is strong.

BryGuy

• Explorer
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2024, 02:58:38 pm »
+4

I also can't figure out how to directly post an image. Can anyone help with that?
1. On ShardsOfHonor download the image.
2. You may need to find a place to host your image like Imgur.com. For Imgur.com, after you upload your image, click on it and copy the Direct Link (2nd option) as your URL.
3. When making your messge, under the Italic option should give you the "Insert Image" option. Add " width=250" (yes, including that space) after "img" in the first bracket. Put your URL between the two bracket sets.

:)
This is not super obvious and took me a few tries to get. You can also select "Quote" at the top right of a message with an image to see how others have formatted the pictures in their message.
for Horizontal, "img height=250" or "img width=385"is best
for cards, "img width=250" or "img height=385" is best
Best of luck.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2024, 04:03:19 pm by BryGuy »

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1455
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2024, 10:05:33 pm »

24 hours

Tiago

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2024, 10:53:02 pm »

2. You may need to find a place to host your image like Imgur.com. For Imgur.com, after you upload your image, click on it and copy the Direct Link (2nd option) as your URL.
3. When making your messge, under the Italic option should give you the "Insert Image" option. Add " width=250" (yes, including that space) after "img" in the first bracket. Put your URL between the two bracket sets.

This is not super obvious and took me a few tries to get. You can also select "Quote" at the top right of a message with an image to see how others have formatted the pictures in their message.
Best of luck.

Thanks!

This is obviously too good. Sure, you cannot use it for building but in the endgame it is strong.
You're right. I playtested it and it needs to be reduced to +$2.

(possibly invisible image here)

If that image doesn't work, here's a link: https://shardofhonor.github.io/dominion-card-generator/?title=Corral&description=%2B%242%0A%0AThe%20next%20time%20you%20gain%20a%20Victory%20card%2C%20gain%20a%20Horse.&type=Action%20-%20Duration&credit=&creator=&price=%243&preview=&type2=&color2split=1&boldkeys=&picture-x=0&picture-y=0&picture-zoom=1&traveller=false&trait=false&picture=https%3A%2F%2Fdavisgates.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F12%2Fpage_2.94191206_std.jpg&expansion=&custom-icon=&color0=4&color1=0&size=0
« Last Edit: March 09, 2024, 10:55:42 pm by Tiago »

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2024, 05:11:17 am »

You did not copy the direct link. The link you want to insert should end in ".png".
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2024, 07:37:53 am »

Best of luck.

Thanks!

You're right. I playtested it and it needs to be reduced to +$2.

(possibly invisible image here)

If that image doesn't work, here's a link: https://shardofhonor.github.io/dominion-card-generator/?title=Corral&description=%2B%242%0A%0AThe%20next%20time%20you%20gain%20a%20Victory%20card%2C%20gain%20a%20Horse.&type=Action%20-%20Duration&credit=&creator=&price=%243&preview=&type2=&color2split=1&boldkeys=&picture-x=0&picture-y=0&picture-zoom=1&traveller=false&trait=false&picture=https%3A%2F%2Fdavisgates.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F12%2Fpage_2.94191206_std.jpg&expansion=&custom-icon=&color0=4&color1=0&size=0
Nah, this is too weak now. I’d try it as terminal Gold at $3 or $4.

LTaco

• Scout
  • Shuffle iT Username: LTaco
  • Respect: +127
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2024, 09:55:28 am »
+4

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2024, 11:16:29 am »
+2

^ I don't think this works. It's a little similar to this project I just designed

Project -- $3
At the start of your turn, you may receive an amazingly powerful effect to receive another amazingly powerful effect.

Edit: Ooops nvm I can't read. They're differently named cards; this makes it much different. Good design!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 11:19:04 am by silverspawn »

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: willowhelmiam
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2024, 12:16:25 pm »
+2

Stashing
$3 Event
Gain a Silver to the bottom of your deck.

4est

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2024, 08:58:50 am »
+4

CONTEST CLOSED

Please check the OP to make sure I have your most updated submission.

I'll have commentary and results posted in the next day or two.

4est

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2024, 11:48:27 pm »
+7

WDC #212: Three's Company

Commentary & Results

Thanks everyone for the submissions, and it was actually really tough to choose a winner between many really great ideas. Let's get to it, OPs are linked, shortlisted entries are bolded.

Wardens by silverspawn
Whew, okay starting off with a mixed pile. A Knights variant, and I actually like the idea of a mixed pile that's not all Attacks. The terminal +1 Card on all of them is a little awkward, and the other issue is, without Village support, most of the "per Warden in play" effects will be tough to get much from. I'd love to see a bit more variance in the baseline effect; the trashing theme is cool and works nicely for a $3 cost, but do they all need to be +1 Card?

Grackle Nest by BryGuy
Treasure-Victory card that can thin Coppers and nab other Treasures into Exile. You can take them out as payload if you want, or leave them for some VP. Rarely will this be worth more than Estate which makes me wonder if that part is worth it? It's also just a bit wordy for my taste.

Stonecutter by D782802859
Moat but with a fun little on-gain. You get in on some of Farrier's fun, but it's immediate instead of next turn. This will be very sad on boards without gainers where there's not a good way to make use of the effect. I like it overall though.

Vase Merchant by grrgrrgrr
A terminal Silver that can draw a card if you play a Village first. And hey, you get a pile of 40 Villages, to make your Vase Merchants a bunch of poor man's Conspirator. The bottom effect of course is the interesting part of the card and now all of a sudden Silver gainers look much better. I'm assuming Silvers retain their Treasure type, correct? It's a fun idea, though the sheer number of Villages makes me a little nervous that it may remove some of the interesting parts of Village splits and pile control that come up in many games with more limited numbers of Villages.

Factory Town by JW
A next-time cantrip Duration that generates Villagers if you buy expensive cards. I actually like this quite a bit more than Taskmaster, since it's much less wordy, it's not a stop card, and it feels a bit fairer to trigger--the Villager is almost as good as an extra Action at the start of turn anyway, though you have to get back around to playing and activating in each turn if you want to keep the same effect.

Silver Saddle by LibraryAdventurer
A Project that lets you return Silvers and Golds for a Lab effect. It's a fun bonus effect to decide between payload vs. draw, and will be especially fun with Silver gainers. I wouldn't mind simplifying to just affect Silvers. Not much else to say, but I like it.

Butler by Augie279
A sort of half-Vassal that plays from top of deck, or from your hand if that fails for a Merchant Camp effect. It's a Copper if you don't have an Action in hand either, but that scenario should be pretty rare outside of the early game. It's nice that there's a little bit of unpredictability a la Vassal or Herald, however I think this will usually be significantly stronger than both Vassal and Merchant Camp since you basically get both of their potential benefits without too much downside. It may be a little strong, but definitely worth testing at $3.

Rebels by czzzz
A terminal sifter with a mandatory discard and Vault effect if you discard Actions. It's a weird one to be sure and I'm not sure what kinds of decks would want this. Discarding down to 3 each time you play it hurts quite a bit, and $1 per Action feels like not quite enough to be worth it. The +Buy seems like it could just be automatic.

Patisserie by NoMoreFun
Baker variant that only gives Coffers if you didn't spend Coffers. Super simple, and feels sufficiently different from Baker and other Peddler variants to be worth existing. It will play a little more like Caravan Guard in a way, but without the Duration downside. I like the decisions they'll create: playing a line of 3  Patisseries will make you want to not spend Coffers this turn, but you gotta spend 'em sometime, right?

Coinery by grep
A terminal Silver gainer that can draw if you have other $3s in hand. The Silver flood helps the draw get more potent as the game goes on. Engines usually won't want the Silvers which limits Coinery's appeal but it should be a solid money-enabler on weaker boards. With the right set up though, the unbounded draw is tempting if you can get a Kingdom with lots of non-terminal $3s.

Scientist by anordinaryman
A cheap Lab with a Contraband penalty. Early and midgame, there's may be enough other good cards available there to not be hurt too much by the restriction and take the extra draw, but eventually it will become a problem. It's smart to keep the Contrband effect just to the first play. The self trash option feels a bit tacked on and unnecessary.

Puppet Strings by faust
A Treasure-Attack that forces players to play a card from their hand (which may or may not be helpful to them) or discard down to 3. I like cards that let you play Actions outside of the Action phase, and it's interesting that this one does it for both the player and opponent. Giving out free plays of terminal draw and gainers isn't ideal, but Puppet Strings puts a limit on what players can really accomplish on someone else's turn, especially in the face of multiple attacks. A weird card to be sure, but it's an intriguing one.

Judge by J410
An Ironmonger variant with Village, Smithy, or +1 Card, +$1 options. To be honest, this feels too weak. None of the options are mindblowing for a $3 cost, and the unreliability makes it hard to trust Judge in most decks (similar to why Tribute from Intrigue 1e was a tough sell). Flipping Curses is especially bad, at least with Ironmonger you still get a cantrip and can discard the Curse. Consider tinkering with the type benefits (the Treasure option could be +$2 couldn't it?) or granting it another base effect.

Granary by Ethan
I was hoping we'd see some $3 Projects, I always liked these--they're little utility cards that are never gamebreaking but typically nice to have. Granary continues in that realm, with a little Haven effect that lets you hold onto a card between hands. The turn after you get it reduces your handsize initially at the start of your turn which hurts a bit, but every turn after that, you can always as a baseline just set aside the card you set aside last time. This does run the risk of this just becoming, "I spend $3 to Exile an Estate for this game." I wonder about making you set aside at the start of your Buy phase instead, which would let you save things you didn't get to play, though that might get a bit too powerful for $3.

Anchor by fika monster
Another Project, this one lets you bottom deck anything you gain for the rest of the game, sort of like-an-every turn Bury. While bottom-decking isn't as nice as top-decking, this is still a solid utility power for turn-setup and playing your gains sooner, totally worth spending $3 on for most boards. It has some similarities to Star Chart, another $3 Project that you pretty much always pick up at some point, but the utility here make this one feel much more engaging and and the flavor makes it more memorable, you get the tactile feeling of "anchoring" your gain at the bottom of the deck, similar to Bury, I love it. My only concern is this getting too strong with multiple gains--a simple "Once per turn" clause should fix it easily. Very nicely done!

Bribe by Gubump
A Treasure that does the Favors option of Broker, and can give you more Favors as an Overpay. Obviously a $3 non-terminal trasher will get bought regardless, but this one has a very wide range of desirability depending on what the Ally is. If it's something you want a ton of Favors for, the Overpay could come into play and/or buying multiple copies, but if it's something you don't really care about, the Overpay may not get used at all. I do like that the on-play further encourages you to get more for the Overpay effect.

Coral by Tiago
Welcome to the forums! Coral is a next time Duration that's a terminal Silver on play and gains a Horse when gaining a Victory card. The easiest comparison is Search, another next time terminal Silver that which costs less and gains a Loot vs. a Horse. Yes, this isn't a one-shot, but it usually takes awhile to activate, still comparable. I think +$3 is a nice middle ground to test out for a $3-cost. You could also try upping duration effect to gaining 2 Horses.

Ark by LTaco
A Project that grants the start of turn ability of trashing three differently named cards in exchange for a powerful draw to X (usually will be a whopping +6 Cards after trashing). The trash requirement will be tricky to pull off in many cases since you need more than just Copper-Estate, and you have to have the junk in your hand at the start of turn. Apart from obvious interactions like Curses, Shelters, Heirlooms, Ruins, Fortress, Trail, etc. Ark will tempt players to potentially trash better cards things like Silvers or Actions alongside junk to activate it. My biggest worry is that on boards where it's tough to activate, it just kinda sits there.

Stashing by Will(ow|iam)
The only Event submission! I was actually expecting a lot more Events. In games with Stashing, Silvers you buy can go on the bottom of your deck instead. Nice in the opening for ensuring you hit $5 on turn 3, and there's a few other tricks you can pull. Delve still feels like the more interesting "Silver does a different thing this game" Event, but I think this is still different enough to have a place on many boards. 

Honorable Mentions: Stonecutter by D782802859, Silver Saddle by LibraryAdventurer, Puppet Strings by faust, Coinery by grep

Runner Up: Patisserie by NoMoreFun

WINNER: Anchor by fika monster

Congrats to fika monster and thanks everyone for participating!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 2.37 seconds with 21 queries.