Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fan Card Mechanics Week 84: Multi-part mat  (Read 479 times)

BryGuy

• Explorer
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
Fan Card Mechanics Week 84: Multi-part mat
« on: February 23, 2024, 09:56:25 am »
+1

Fan Card Mechanics Week 84: Multi-part mat
:)
Howdy All,

This week's mechanic is a multi-part mat. Your objective is to design a mat that has two or three parts. My thought was the winner would use that mat for the next contest where we would design a card that would work well with this week's winning mat. An example could be something like:

"Nuts: Directly after playing an Action card, you may remove a token from here for +1 Action and +1 Buy. At the start of your turn if you have three tokens here, you may move one token to Banana.
Banana: After trashing a card, you may remove a token here for +1 Card."

My main judging criteria is whether I would be excited to see the design in a Kingdom. Important factors:
* balance: is the mat useful, but not overpowered (both in general and in a variety of Kingdoms)
* playability: the mat is fun to play and works with more than one type of deck
* simplicity: this doesn't always mean fewer words; a mat with lots of text that, once you understand it, can be easily and intuitively be played is better than one with four lines of text that is difficult to understand
* topicality: designs something within the specifications presented

Since entries seam to be in short supply as of late, I'll run the contest for a minimum of a seven days, but long enough to garner four entries. Then i'll provide a deadline notice.
Have fun! I look forward to seeing your entries.
So i have been giving the winner of the last contest some time to get another contest together, but it has been several weeks now.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 09:57:52 am by BryGuy »

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: willowhelmiam
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Card Mechanics Week 84: Multi-part mat
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2024, 01:56:57 pm »
+1

Ups and Downs mat

5VP if you have more Ups than Downs at the end of the game.

czzzz

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +252
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2024, 04:57:26 pm »
+1

Seeds...they don't do much. But sow (shuffle?) them and you get Trees! You could always cut them down, but you're no Woodcutter. Let them live and you'll see the Fruits of your labor, something to feed the Horses.

Seeds mat
When you shuffle, +1 Fruits for each Trees you have. All your Seeds become Trees.
During your Buy phase, you may remove Trees for +$1, +1 Buy each;
and remove Fruits to gain a Horse onto your deck for each.

Notes:
  • Seed promotion happens after Fruit generation, to further delay it, but if it's too slow then they could promote before -- lmk
  • Is "All Seeds become Trees" fine? Or is "Move all Seeds to Trees" clearer? I really don't wanna do "+1 Trees per Seeds you have, remove all your Seeds" but if that's the only way to make it clear, I can change it to that
  • I know, "gain a Horse"-token isn't the most inspired, but I liked the theme of it
  • Disregard the mockup wording. No reason for it to be "At the start of your Buy phase". And sorry if the mat's ugly lol
  • Cards using the Seeds mat would probably mostly give Seeds, but could give Trees or Fruits too. Some could care about the amount of Fruits or Trees, giving you more decisions about when to use them (which Fruits kinda needs to be interesting)

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1445
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2024, 09:44:30 am »
+2

I don’t think that letting a contest run potentially forever is a decent rule.

J410

• Scout
  • Shuffle iT Username: J410
  • Smile! =J
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2024, 09:47:38 am »
+2

An idea from some other game. Ideally this should be a main mechanic from an expansion so that multiple cards (that are extra likely to come up together) make use of it and indirectly interact with in other.

Reputation mat
It has 5 spaces, each with a number of VP depicted on them (in the following order: -3, -1, 0, 1, 3). Cards can have the instruction to gain or lose one (or more) reputation. When such cards exist in the kingdom, each player takes a reputation mat and puts a reputation marker (use a coin token) at 0VP.
Rules:
  • At the end of the game, each reputation marker is worth the VP amount depicted on the space it occupies for its owner.
  • When you gain a reputation, move your marker one space to the right. If you can't, +1 Card.
  • When you lose a reputation, move your marker one space to the left. If you can't, gain a curse.

Notes:
I'm fine with cards handing out additional reputation markers. The rules are written in such a way that it works out.
The might be other configurations of the reputation track that turn out to fit more card designs, but I wanted to keep the number of spaces low.

BryGuy

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2024, 09:01:48 am »

.          :)
55-hour Notice
:)                  :)
Please get your entries in to be judged.

Tiago

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: tserridge
  • Respect: +125
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2024, 12:38:54 am »
+2

I know Scheme is already a card, if anyone can think of something better I'll change it.

grumpo

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2024, 02:29:13 pm »
+2

Hopefully this isn't too late for the submission window! I'm a big fan of Way of the Chameleon and how it makes cards interact and behave in unpredictable ways. I made three separate mats but they would really be three segments of the same mat.

My thinking here is in a game using this, you would replace the three starting estates with these three "Estate" cards, which each interact with the mat in different ways. It's flavor-wise meant to riff on the power struggle in pre-Revolution France between clergy, nobility, and peasantry, and those different factions can exert their influence on other cards. That said, there's a balancing act because the faction that stockpiles the most power over the course of the game earns the most points. Not sure if these cards need to give more tokens to make them impactful, but anyway here's the concept!

czzzz

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +252
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2024, 03:59:49 pm »

Not sure if these cards need to give more tokens to make them impactful
If they do give more tokens, I assume you'd lower the VP to counting every two tokens rounded down, or something? I could see that, if you want them to get played/used more for the token power rather than trashing one or two, and stacking VP on one.
I think it's a cool concept though!

Does the -1 VP go into the negatives? The wording seems to imply that -- I think that's fine but I thought I'd just ask if that's what you intended
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 04:01:48 pm by czzzz »

BryGuy

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2024, 04:14:44 pm »

Contest Closed
:)                  :)
I plan to post results in less than 24-hours.

BryGuy

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2024, 04:24:23 pm »
+1

Thank you all for your submissions.

Winner: Seeds mat by czzzz

Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.089 seconds with 21 queries.