Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Allies' split piles & Ally  (Read 455 times)

BryGuy

• Explorer
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
Allies' split piles & Ally
« on: January 03, 2024, 01:30:17 pm »
+1

Context:
We got Allies about two months a ago and have used it about a dozen times. While initially i was excited to get this expansion, my interest after playing has waned.

Split Piles:
How often in games where you have a four-card split pile do you even have the opportunity to buy the fourth card? We have never had a game where the fourth card was available to buy. I even had one game where i used four of the six, while most games had one and maybe 1/3 had none. I wonder if part of the issue is the pile does not scale to player count. I wonder is part of the issue is that four different cards is too much for one pile.

Allies:
The consensus at our house seams to be "unimpressed". We have never used the same Ally, but they were fairly meaningless in all but one game.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1445
    • View Profile
Re: Allies' split piles & Ally
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2024, 01:37:01 pm »
+1

About the split piles, you know that the top card gives you control over the pile, right?
Forts is really the only pile with kickstarting problems due to how weak Tent is but and Townsfolk is often outclassed by a draw engine. But Wizards have trashing, gaining and junking and Clashes have two Lab variants! How can you not want these cards in at least some Kingdoms?

allanfieldhouse

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +374
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2024, 12:50:22 pm »

Definitely sounds like you're not "rotating" the split piles. https://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Rotate

BryGuy

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2024, 01:01:59 pm »

Definitely sounds like you're not "rotating" the split piles. https://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Rotate
Oh we rotate. But one player only uses Big Money strategy and never rotates if they even buy the first card. Me and the other two use the strategy best suited for that game. Maybe we just need more time with Allies.

villafan001

• Steward
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2024, 03:46:02 pm »
+1

Oh we rotate. But one player only uses Big Money strategy and never rotates if they even buy the first card. Me and the other two use the strategy best suited for that game. Maybe we just need more time with Allies.

You only need to play the top card three times between you (assuming you choose to rotate) for the bottom card to become available, so I would be surprised if it wasn't coming up for purchase reasonably often. Most games I play with Allies involve strategising to some degree over when to trigger the rotations to prevent the opponent picking up the "good" card(s).

StrangerSon712

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2024, 10:14:35 pm »
+1

My best guess for the split piles is that you aren’t thinning/drawing fast enough to play your rotator. (You do know that rotating moves more than one card, right?) For the Allies, I agree they aren’t the most impressive but don’t think they have to be. The expansions biggest strengths are its simple cards and split piles anyways.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 10:17:43 pm by StrangerSon712 »

BryGuy

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2024, 11:31:42 am »

You do know that rotating moves more than one card, right?
Ohhh that is the missing information! Sadly the Allies instructions are the only one i can't find.
"To rotate a Supply pile with differently-named cards in it is to move all copies of one card on top of the pile to the bottom, so as to expose the next differently-named card in the pile." <https://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Rotate>
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.