Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fan Card Mechanics week 76: What was yours is now mine  (Read 437 times)

J410

• Scout
  • Shuffle iT Username: J410
  • Smile! =J
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
Fan Card Mechanics week 76: What was yours is now mine
« on: October 25, 2023, 03:31:06 pm »
+1

For this week we have a new card type: Souvenir
Souvenirs function mostly like a project/artifact hybrid. When you buy it, put your cube on it and add a coin token to the card. When another player buys the Souvenir, your cube is gone, but they will have to pay an extra $1 per coin token on it (the card could also, like artifacts, physically move from player to player, but I don't like moving cards with tokens on them). Since the coin tokens stay on the card, it will get more expensive with every purchase.

FAQ: Can I pay more to add more tokens? No (unless instructed otherwise), but you can buy the souvenir while you already have it to add a coin token.

So your task for this week is to Design a Souvenir card.
Combining it with other (fan) mechanics is all fine.

Judging criteria:
 - How fun do is it to play with? Am I excited to see it on the table?
 - Simplicity: Don't make an unnecessarily convoluted card. This sometimes means less words, but more words is fine if I can easily remember it.
 - Balance: Less of an issue since the card goes up in cost, but the initial cost should make sense. What impact does it have on the opening? (a $4-cost souvenir might be bought by the first playing hitting $4 and then not be taken through the entire opening phase)
 - Does it use the mechanic in an interesting way? I like to be surprised by your ingenuity.

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: willowhelmiam
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Card Mechanics week 76: What was yours is now mine
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2023, 01:37:56 am »

Tablets
$6 Souvenir
When you play a copper, if you have an even number of coppers in play, +$1.

BryGuy

• Explorer
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2023, 08:33:45 am »

.            :)
Harvest Tools • $4+ • Souvenir
At the start of your turn, you may discard two cards for +1VP and +1 Card.
After your Buy phase you may trash a card from your Hand and this costs $1 less, but not less than $2.
This enables an ability after the Buy phase, but it lowers the cost allowing others to more easily come take it away. If you are able to keep this to your Start phase, this has  another nice ability.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2023, 08:36:59 am by BryGuy »

J410

• Scout
  • Smile! =J
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2023, 04:17:45 am »

I thought I had started it in the weekend, but a was a few days earlier. Anyways, here is your 24 hour warning. I still hope for a few more entries, no matter the quality.

J410

• Scout
  • Smile! =J
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2023, 08:58:45 am »
+1

Judging:
Tablets
$6 Souvenir
When you play a copper, if you have an even number of coppers in play, +$1.
Great for copper strategists. Simple, and probably of decent value for money decks or engines without trashing. In those cases, it's like mixing a gold into your deck without adding an extra card (with the risk of it being worth less or someone taking it away), so the price seems about right. 7/10
Harvest Tools • $4+ • Souvenir
At the start of your turn, you may discard two cards for +1VP and +1 Card.
After your Buy phase you may trash a card from your Hand and this costs $1 less, but not less than $2.
This either has a mediocre ability, or a strong trashing option that will likely make it go around the table for a some turns. I would recommend giving this card a clearer focus by removing either the sifting, trashing or VP-generation. Even though I have concerns that it might stall games too much, I really like the way it can reduce its own cost. That is probably a direction more souvenirs should go in. 9/10

Winner: Harvest Tools by BryGuy
Runner-up: Tablets by Will(ow|iam)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.846 seconds with 20 queries.