Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #196: If a card is in the kingdom...  (Read 3983 times)

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1445
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #196: If a card is in the kingdom...
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2023, 05:14:22 pm »

Looks like a massively nerfed IGG.

kru5h

• Tactician
  • Respect: +401
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2023, 12:15:03 am »
+1

Yes, I know I'm indecisive.

Path(v7)

The last version was just way too wordy.

EDIT

Path(v8)

Edited to say "from your hand" in response to silverspawn's criticism. Hopefully that works.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 12:35:26 pm by kru5h »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2023, 04:07:54 am »
+1

The problem with this is that you can play cards you don't own, making "exchange" unclear.

I liked v6 -- although it was wordy.

RovingBear

• Scout
  • Respect: +66
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2023, 11:45:42 am »
+7

Trasher with a twist.
Playtested this a couple of time and made for some interesting choices.

Zoyarox

• Steward
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2023, 01:39:46 pm »

New entry, replacing my previous one:

Allows to bring Treasure and even Night cards into play during the Action Phase, as the young hero calls his companion/mentor.

If anyone has a better idea on how to prevent Victory cards from being played this way ("action supply pile" didn't work since the Clashes), feel free to contribute.
Otherwise, FAQ = gives +1 Action (as per the token's ruling, before you play a card with the token on it) and does nothing, is discarded during clean-up.

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +538
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2023, 03:04:16 pm »
+1

Farmer | Action | $4
+2 Cards
You may discard a Farmer or an Estate for +1 card +1 action

In games using this, when a player gains a non-Estate victory card, they gain an Estate

Farmers make more green fill the world. Every province now comes with an estate. Every duchy comes with an estate. Every estate… doesn’t, but then, who buys estates anyway? Maybe you, since  farmers know how to process those estates.

I’m open to feedback — costing it 3 and/or making the benefit be a simply +1 action as it’s basically a super lab when it hits right now since you don’t care to discard estates.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1683
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2023, 09:10:41 pm »
+6

New entry, replacing my previous one:

Allows to bring Treasure and even Night cards into play during the Action Phase, as the young hero calls his companion/mentor.

If anyone has a better idea on how to prevent Victory cards from being played this way ("action supply pile" didn't work since the Clashes), feel free to contribute.
Otherwise, FAQ = gives +1 Action (as per the token's ruling, before you play a card with the token on it) and does nothing, is discarded during clean-up.

I fail to see how this isn't strictly worse than Market Square. It's a conditional +1 Action and lacks the Reaction, and even in games with only Young Hero, the card itself is still worse than Market Square would be.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +493
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2023, 04:18:49 am »
+1

New entry.

Landscaper
6$ action
Gain a Douchy or Silver to your hand.
-
In games using this, Victory cards costing $5 or more are also Action cards with the text that says "You may play an Non-Victory Action card from your hand twice."

A Douchy gainer, that also makes douchies and more expensive victory cards be Throne Rooms.
To nerf this a bit, i made those Victory cards not be able to throne room themselfs. I don't think someone should be able to draw a hand of 4 Douchies and one smithy, and be able to play all your deck. There should still be deck control involved.

Priced $6 as it could otherwise be a ridicoulous 5 2 opener, and it gains douchys.

FAQ:
-If the Victory card is an action card or Treasure card with card text, the original card text activates first. So a Nobles FIRST gives you the choice of 3 cards or 2 actions, then it may throne room an action from your hand.
An farm gives you 2 money first, and then you may throne room.

- If you play distant lands, You put it on the tavern mat, and may then play an action card from your hand. That action card stays in play as normal.

Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

sumrex

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: sumrex84
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2023, 07:15:43 am »
+1

Ghoul 5$ Action-Command
If you have played a Zombie this turn, +3 cards and +1 buy.
Otherwise, Choose 1: Choose 2 face up Zombie cards in the trash. Play them in any order, leaving them there OR Choose 1 face up Zombie cards in the trash. Play it twice, leaving it there.

Setup: Put the 3 Zombies into the trash.

A different take on necromancer which only eats a single zombie this turn, but then can make a long distance to the next graveyard for the next turn. It also technically has a setup, even when it doesnt matter in most games. Because this can only play zombies, robbin the graves will let the ghoul die out, so it can lead to some very interesting decision making. You normally want at least one because the first is a super lost city, but that strategy is as fragile as having crossroads being your only village...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 08:17:49 am by sumrex »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2023, 11:10:51 am »
+1

I think that this is too good. The first one is better than Lost City (Spy plus the flexiblity of other options) and the second one is Barge.
So you can safely add at least 2 copies to any deck.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2023, 11:47:14 am »
+3

New entry.

Landscaper
6$ action
-
In games using this, Victory cards costing $5 or more are also Action cards with the text that says "You may play an Non-Victory Action card from your hand twice."

A Douchy gainer, that also makes douchies and more expensive victory cards be Throne Rooms.
To nerf this a bit, i made those Victory cards not be able to throne room themselfs. I don't think someone should be able to draw a hand of 4 Douchies and one smithy, and be able to play all your deck. There should still be deck control involved.

Priced $6 as it could otherwise be a ridicoulous 5 2 opener, and it gains douchys.

FAQ:
-If the Victory card is an action card or Treasure card with card text, the original card text activates first. So a Nobles FIRST gives you the choice of 3 cards or 2 actions, then it may throne room an action from your hand.

- If you play distant lands, You put it on the tavern mat, and may then play an action card from your hand. That action card stays in play as normal.

Just an FYI, the word is spelled "Duchy," not "Douchy."
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2023, 11:48:22 am »

I think that this is too good. The first one is better than Lost City (Spy plus the flexiblity of other options) and the second one is Barge.
So you can safely add at least 2 copies to any deck.

Uh, how is the first one better than Lost City? Spy isn't even good, and the only way it can give you +2 Actions is by trashing an Action from your hand.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2023, 12:52:31 pm »
+2

Ghoul gives you the option to play a Zombie twice and a Thrones Zombie Spy is strictly better than Lost City.
So you can safely rund two copies given that that first copy you play each turn is always at least a Lost City+ and the second copy you play each turn is a this turn Barge.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 12:54:12 pm by segura »

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +494
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2023, 01:15:59 pm »

It's been nine days since the contest was posted, should someone call a 24 hour warning?
they/them

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: willowhelmiam
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2023, 01:32:21 pm »

24 hour warning

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2023, 02:06:06 pm »

Ghoul gives you the option to play a Zombie twice and a Thrones Zombie Spy is strictly better than Lost City.
So you can safely rund two copies given that that first copy you play each turn is always at least a Lost City+ and the second copy you play each turn is a this turn Barge.

Oh, right, I didn't see the Throne option.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2023, 05:15:22 am »
+2

Ghoul 5$ Action-Command
If you have played a Zombie this turn, +3 cards and +1 buy.
Otherwise, Choose 1: Choose 2 face up Zombie cards in the trash. Play them in any order, leaving them there OR Choose 1 face up Zombie cards in the trash. Play it twice, leaving it there.

Setup: Put the 3 Zombies into the trash.

A different take on necromancer which only eats a single zombie this turn, but then can make a long distance to the next graveyard for the next turn. It also technically has a setup, even when it doesnt matter in most games. Because this can only play zombies, robbin the graves will let the ghoul die out, so it can lead to some very interesting decision making. You normally want at least one because the first is a super lost city, but that strategy is as fragile as having crossroads being your only village...
Regardless of power level, you should cut down the wording. Here's a suggestion:

Otherwise, do this twice: Play a Zombie from the trash, leaving it there.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2023, 08:19:34 am »
+5

Occult Library - $4
Action

Discard a card. Draw until you have 6 cards in hand.
-
In games using this, when the player to your left ends their Action phase, you may play an Action from your hand.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2023, 06:31:51 pm »
+1

Occult Library - $4
Action

Discard a card. Draw until you have 6 cards in hand.
-
In games using this, when the player to your left ends their Action phase, you may play an Action from your hand.

I play Possession.
My left player plays their turn for me.
It's Action phase is over.
I play Possession.
My left player plays their turn for me.
It's Action phase is over.
I play Occult Library to draw another Possession.

I think some trick is needed to stop this evil loop.
(not infinite in itself, but still boring)

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2023, 09:28:54 pm »

Contest Closed

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2023, 11:19:58 pm »
+1

Hostile Village
https://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21770.msg903968#msg903968

It's like Shaman or Ambassador without the built-in thinning. Boo.

Big effect: 10/10.
Fun effect: 0/10.
Fun card: 0/10.
total: 10/30

Mimic
https://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21770.msg903968#msg903968

Big effect: 5/10. I feel like the token will often end up on a card nobody's playing anyway.
Fun effect: 6/10. It can encourage more varied decks.
Fun card: 4/10. The decision of what card to hit can be interesting, whether to try to hit a village or a payload card. However, it can be a brutal unmoatable attack on e.g. boards with only one village or only one draw card. The only defense is to have a mimic at the start of your own turn. That's luck-based.

total: 15/30

Manor
https://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21770.msg903969#msg903969

Big effect: 10/10. Starting with 3 necropolises is a big deal, especially with a guaranteed smithy on the board.
Fun effect: 6/10. Similar problem to Champion, where it's almost removing the limited number of actions per turn as a mechanic from the game.
Fun card: 4/10. Too strong. Basically strictly better than lab, and doesn't encourage building your deck differently (e.g. Seer, Hunter, Hunting Party) to take advantage of it.

Total: 20/30.

torch
https://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21770.msg903979#msg903979
Fun effect: 2/10. Devastating like Frigate or Warlord
Fun card: 3/10. There are 2 possible decks you can try to build: Get a torch soon enough, or don't play a lot of action cards. Really monolithic. See also: Rebuild.

15/30.

Wereshop
https://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21770.msg903981#msg903981

Big effect: 7/10. Not too much different than just having a Way. Credit because Ways are fun.
Fun effect: 4/10. Part of the fun of some Ways is that they're always available (e.g. Ox, Sheep, Otter). The rotating makes those less impactful.
Fun card: 5/10. What if Knights was a Workshop instead of an attack?
16/30.

White Elephant
https://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21770.msg903984#msg903984

Big effect: 3/10.
Fun effect: 5/10. Minor Duchy buff and estate nerf I guess?
Fun card: 7/10. I actually like the concept of a payload card that's sometimes incidentally a junker, particularly when the junking is at the end of the game. Incentivizes delaying greening.

15/30.

Printing Press
https://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21770.msg903991#msg903991

Big effect: 7/10.
Fun effect: 6/10. Makes opening silver mean stuff's more likely to miss the shuffle, but it also changes the order I want to gain deck control vs. payload in an interesting way.
Fun card: 6/10. Weak when you can afford it, strong when you're kinda choking on green. Timing when to gain it is an interesting decision, but I feel like the answer is too-often to not gain it.

19/30.

Maze and Minotaur
https://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21770.msg904012#msg904012

Big effect: 1/10. Removing one card from every pile one time doesn't make the game end much faster. See: Populate.
Fun effect: 0/10. Just doesn't do a lot.
Fun card: 6/10. A border guard that might turn into experiment, but you don't know when. Okay.

6/30.

Fine Art/Art Dealer
https://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21770.msg904020#msg904020

Big effect: 2/10.
Fun effect: 2/10. Everyone has Fair for free. Whoopee.
Fun card: 4/10. Fine art is a fine but uninteresting open and weak in the mid-late game. The second part of Art Dealer seems fun and reasonable but there's no reason for it to be on the bottom of a split pile.
8/10.

Nomad Village
https://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21770.msg904025#msg904025
Big effect: 6/10.
Fun effect: 5/10.
Fun card: 4/10. Really swingy. Higher highs and lower lows than Vassal or Herald.
15/30.

Magistrate
https://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21770.msg904030#msg904030
Big effect: 6/10. Does nothing but nerf its own attack on a lot of boards
Fun effect: 4/10. Just plain nerfs a bunch of cards.
Fun card: 7/10. "Workshop, others discard to 3 then draw 1" is fine.

17/30

Impoverished Village
https://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21770.msg904031#msg904031
Big effect: 8/10. The penalty's worth playing around, but usually won't proc a lot.
Fun effect: 7/10.
Fun card: 4/10. This being the only village basically means I'm gaining a copper every turn.

19/30.

Goldsmith
https://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21770.msg904034#msg904034
Big effect: 10/10. The card's on-play effect warps the board, as does the in-games-using-this effect.
Fun effect: 10/10. Engines are built fast, and silvers come with coppers.
Fun card: 3/10. Massive payload injection, if you can afford the draw. Probably way too strong in money density. It's like "+$2, gain a gold and a silver."

23/30.

Forbidden Forest
Big effect: 8/10. A lot like shepherd
Fun effect: 3/10. It feels bad to gain it and the curse is blocked, and worse to fill your deck with green and still get cursed. A lot like shepherd duds.
Fun card: 4/10. Interesting twist on duchy, and viable alt-VP in general is cool.

15/30.

Path(v8)
Big effect: 10/10. Basically a Way, that will probably be used often.
Fun effect: 6/10. Kinda turns every card into a mini-Band of Misfits. It also makes it useless to gain cheap cards because you can always swap them. Path itself being around kinda does the Villa thing of changing the build order, but it being +3 actions means you basically never worry about running out of +actions.
Fun card: 4/10. Reasonable $2.
20/30.

Goblin
https://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21770.msg904045#msg904045
FYI the flavor of this card is antisemitic trope. Something to be aware of. Anyway,

Big effect: 7/10.
Fun effect: 6/10. Definitely a buff to gold. Might as well have separate kingdom card for what gold is with this around (like a reverse harem/farm) but this interacts with gold-gainers so it's fine.
Fun card: 9/10. I like how it incentivizes trashing coppers before estates in a unique way.

22/30.

Young Hero
https://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21770.msg904046#msg904046
Fun effect: 7/10. Swingy.
Fun card: 3/10. Swingy.
20/30.

Landscape
https://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21770.msg904047#msg904047
Fun effect: 7/10. Duchy into weaker throne room is a fun effect. Province into weaker throne room gives the first player to green too much of a lead.
Fun card: 4/10.
21/30.

Ghoul
https://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21770.msg904052#msg904052
Big effect: 0/10. The zombies being in the trash barely affects anything.
Fun effect: 0/10.
Fun card: 2/10. A lost city that turns into a super smithy for $5. That's really strong and not that fun.

2/30.

Occult Library
https://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21770.msg904071#msg904071
Fun effect: 4/10. Basically everybody gets barracks that doesn't care about +actions. Also lol @ black cat.
Fun card: 6/20. I like it.

20/30.

Winner: Goldsmith
Runners up: Goblin, Landscape

Snorka

• Baron
  • he/him or they/them- no preference
  • Respect: +65
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2023, 12:47:24 am »
+2

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2023, 12:58:00 am »
+3

<judging>
You judge a bit harshly, and I think have weird/possibly mistaken views on some of these. For instance:
- I think you're greatly underestimating Printing Press.
- Torch is hardly comparable to Rebuild when on its own, it's only a trasher. Rebuild is a complete strong strategy on its own. And I think you're overestimating the difference Torch will have in a game.
- The "in games using this" effect of Fine Art/Art Dealer is definitely more interesting than just "everyone has fair for free" when you have to have three copies of a Treasure in play. (I just now noticed that entry and I like the idea, especially Art Dealer.)
- There's no way Nomad Village has higher highs and lower lows than Herald. It doesn't look that swingy to me.
- You're kindof contradicting yourself about Impoverished Village. You say it won't proc* a lot, but then say you'll probably be gaining a Copper every turn. It isn't like there's very often more than one village on a board. (Unrelated: What is "proc" short for anyway?)

Also, you missed Farmer. (edit: and Snorka's card...)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 01:02:36 am by LibraryAdventurer »

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2023, 04:32:58 am »

overall i liked the judging, and think you did a good job. (im also happy you liked my card of course).

But if you dont mind a feedback on your critique:

a Positive first: i like the formalized "big, fun effect, fun card" aspect of your judgement. Im probably gonna use that form

- I like numbers but having 3 numbers for the aspects seems too much. getting a 2/10 is managable but 4/30 feels really bad i think.
-It also gets too granular, as judging cards is already subjective, and several parts of a card feeds into each other. the sum of the whole can be bigger then the parts.

- Your language is too harsh and i think it could do with some removed "whopees" and such. Adding some kind words or fluff can help people take your critisism to heart better.

- A single word description for a card does not feel great and doesnt help the person improve.

Judging cards is a big task, so regardless im happy with the judging you made.

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2023, 04:44:04 am »
+2

After contest edit:
EDIT 2:

Removed gain to hand. Can now play Action victory cards in hand, so if you got a douchy or something, you may get a throne room opportunity but it costs essentially 2 Cad draw (Cause you gotta have a victory card that meets the criteria in hand. And you gotta draw the victory card you gained.

Card text when played is now "gain a victory card costing less then this to your hand"
It can still gain douchies, but can now gain any other victory card costing less then landscaper. You cant gain 6$ victory cards unless you dont some trickery i dont know about.  Being able to gain farms to your hand felt overpowerd, and landscaper isnt strong enough to warrant a 7$ price, so it stayed at 6$

You can in a pinch use landscaper to empty a victory card pile, or maybe gain a garden to your hand to exile it.

The effect is now active on 4 to 6$ victory cards, meaning that a province or Colony cant be Throne rooms. Gardens and other 4 cost cards can now be throne rooms, giving them extra spice. 

New entry.

Landscaper
6$ action
-

FAQ:

« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 05:13:00 am by fika monster »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 2.505 seconds with 22 queries.