Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fan Card Mechanics Week 70: Turn Counter  (Read 684 times)

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: willowhelmiam
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
Fan Card Mechanics Week 70: Turn Counter
« on: August 09, 2023, 06:08:11 am »
+1

Design a card(-shaped object) that cares about what turn number it is. It's like the classic Seasons mechanic, but broader!

BryGuy

• Explorer
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Card Mechanics Week 70: Turn Counter
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2023, 10:47:18 am »

Bamboo • $5 • Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
you may choose one: If two Supply piles are empty, +1 Card; or after turn-3, you may trash a card from your Hand.
You may choose one: If a Supply pile is empty or after turn-6, +1 Action; or after turn-9, +1 Buy.
:) After reviewing all of the village-like cards, at full power this is could cost $7. I priced it lower since it takes a while for all effects to become active.

previous:
Bamboo • $4 • Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
If a Supply pile is empty, +1 Card.
After turn-3, you may trash a card from your Hand.
After turn-5, +1 Action.
After turn-7, +1 Buy.
:) After reviewing all of the village-like cards, at full power this is should easily cost $6. I priced it lower since it takes a while for all effects to become active.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 11:59:21 am by BryGuy »

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2023, 11:56:32 am »

Bamboo • $4 • Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
After turn-5, +1 Action.
After turn-7, +1 Buy.
:) After reviewing all of the village-like cards, at full power this is should easily cost $6. I priced it lower since it takes a while for all effects to become active.

Does "after" include on that turn?

BryGuy

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2023, 12:24:09 pm »

Bamboo • $4 • Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
After turn-5, +1 Action.
After turn-7, +1 Buy.

Does "after" include on that turn?
That is a good question. I can see how that may be slightly confusing. While that is what i intended, my words may not have been carefully crafted. i'm thinking to avoid confusion that it should not be effective on that turn.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1445
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2023, 02:46:08 pm »

This is obviously overpowered. A non-mandatory cantrip trasher would likely be OK or too good at $4 and, ignoring the situation in which you draw this at T3, this is always at least as good.

Besides the power level the card does too much.

Alki

• Swindler
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2023, 05:38:53 pm »
+1

Spilt pile: Stock Document + Plutocrat

Stock Document • $3 • Treasure
Turn 1-10: +$0
Turn 11-14: +$1
After Turn 14: +$4
-
After Turn X: When this card is on top of a supply pile, trash it.

Plutocrat • $6 • Victory
0%
Worth 2% more for every turn after turn 13.
-

What about a pile, which trashes itself turn after turn? Of course, you have to build the deck uo in the right order before the game like you du with the castles. And to spice things up a bit, you have a split pile. First a stock, which is quite worthless at the beginning, but gives you +$4 in late game. And a Victory card which gets stronger the longer the game takes. Yes, maybe the are some things to tweak, costs or when the turn effects are getting activated (I see, it would thematically make more sense when the Plutocrat gets his value after the Stock Documents go high, or the Stock Document shouldn't bo $0 foor 10 turns). But I think you get the point. :)

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2023, 10:22:21 am »

24-hour warning

BryGuy

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2023, 10:22:14 am »

-

Plutocrat • $6 • Victory
0%
-

What about a pile, which trashes itself turn after turn? Of course, you have to build the deck uo in the right order before the game like you du with the castles. And to spice things up a bit, you have a split pile. First a stock, which is quite worthless at the beginning, but gives you +$4 in late game. And a Victory card which gets stronger the longer the game takes. Yes, maybe the are some things to tweak, costs or when the turn effects are getting activated (I see, it would thematically make more sense when the Plutocrat gets his value after the Stock Documents go high, or the Stock Document shouldn't bo $0 foor 10 turns). But I think you get the point. :)

I like this concept, but there are several things you could do to make it better.  :) Remove the reference to zero - no need to state a Treasure is wroth $0 or a Victory is worth 0VP. Each card need not have different wording, if the wording is better constructed. Stock Document is not likely to be bought if it is a dead card for so long. Plutocrat is much too swingy. Here is how i would do this concept:
Stock Note/Plutocrat
Randomizer
This pile starts with one plus one per player of each card (max 5). All copies of Stock Note are on top.

Stock Note
$3 Treasure
After turn-4: +$1
After turn-13: +$2
Even turns: +1 Buy
-
After turn-3, when this card is on top of a supply pile, trash it.

Plutocrat
$6 Victory
Worth the smaller of either: 5VP; or 1VP plus 1VP more for each set of two turns after turn-9.
-
After turn-9, when this card is on top of a supply pile, trash it.

FAQ:
What is Stock Note worth:
After turn-04: $1
After turn-13: $3

What is Plutocrat worth:
After turn-00: 1VP
After turn-11: 2VP
After turn 13: 3VP
After turn-15: 4VP
After turn-17: 5VP
 :)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2023, 10:36:50 am by BryGuy »

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2023, 11:47:50 am »

Bamboo: I like the concept, but I think the old version was way too strong, and the new version is way too weak.

Stock Document + Plutocrat: The pile trashing itself basically means the game's not gonna last to the point where the cards are useful, and even if it does, you still have dead card(s) in your deck.

Both of these seem like poor executions of reasonable concepts, but I think I'll give the edge to the split pile.

Winner: Alki

Alki

• Swindler
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2023, 03:03:22 am »

-

Plutocrat • $6 • Victory
0%
-

I like this concept, but there are several things you could do to make it better.  :) Remove the reference to zero - no need to state a Treasure is wroth $0 or a Victory is worth 0VP. Each card need not have different wording, if the wording is better constructed. Stock Document is not likely to be bought if it is a dead card for so long. Plutocrat is much too swingy. Here is how i would do this concept:
Stock Note/Plutocrat
Randomizer
This pile starts with one plus one per player of each card (max 5). All copies of Stock Note are on top.

Stock Note
$3 Treasure
After turn-4: +$1
After turn-13: +$2
-
After turn-3, when this card is on top of a supply pile, trash it.

Plutocrat
$6 Victory
Worth the smaller of either: 5VP; or 1VP plus 1VP more for each set of two turns after turn-9.
-
After turn-9, when this card is on top of a supply pile, trash it.

FAQ:
What is Stock Note worth:
After turn-04: $1
After turn-13: $3

What is Plutocrat worth:
After turn-00: 1VP
After turn-11: 2VP
After turn 13: 3VP
After turn-15: 4VP
After turn-17: 5VP
 :)

Yeah, as already said, there is some space to improve with when to do the effects come in play and so. And yes I see, maybe they shouldn't be dead cards for such a long time, or shouln't be at all. :)
In geeneral, you're corrected caards seem to me more useable. I just liked the idea of the Plutocrat which could become stronger than a Province if you manage the game to become a very long one.

Bamboo: I like the concept, but I think the old version was way too strong, and the new version is way too weak.

Stock Document + Plutocrat: The pile trashing itself basically means the game's not gonna last to the point where the cards are useful, and even if it does, you still have dead card(s) in your deck.

Both of these seem like poor executions of reasonable concepts, but I think I'll give the edge to the split pile.

Winner: Alki

Thx. New Contest is already online.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2023, 03:04:29 am by Alki »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.832 seconds with 20 queries.