Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fan Card Mechanics Week 69: Foreign Market  (Read 754 times)

Alki

• Swindler
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
Fan Card Mechanics Week 69: Foreign Market
« on: July 22, 2023, 09:39:51 am »
+1

For this contest, I want you to make use of a "Foreign Market" mechanic, which adds 3 unused kingdom-Card piles into the game, but they are not part of the supply.

There are this rules for the Foreign Market:
- The Foreign Market is divided in 3 classes: Class 1, Class 2 and Class 3 (you may abbreviate them with C1, C2, and C3)
   - C1 cards are worth $0-$2 (e.g. Cellar)
   - C2 cards are worth $3-$4 (e.g. Village)
   - C3 cards are worth $5-$7 (e.g. Witch)
- Each Foreign Market pile consists of a kingdom pile which is not used in the kingdom.
- (Kingdom)Cards which add a Foreign Market to the setup have the type "Import".
- As already told, they are additional piles. They are not part of the supply and can't be gained, played or interacted by other cards than by "Imports" (or landscapes).

A simple example could be this card:

Your task is to create a card or a landscape around the Foreign Market. I'm interested in seeing original ways to get, play or interact in any other way with those additional piles.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2023, 09:45:21 am by Alki »

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: willowhelmiam
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Card Mechanics Week 69: Foreign Market
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2023, 01:26:34 pm »

World-traveling merchant crew
Ally - Import

During your buy phase, if your Journey token is face down, then you may buy from the Foreign Market, and you may not buy from the supply. At the start of your buy phase, you may spend 2 favors to flip your Journey token (it starts face up).

BryGuy

• Explorer
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2023, 10:54:51 am »

Ally - Import

During your buy phase, if your Journey token is face down, then you may buy from the Foreign Market, and you may not buy from the supply. At the start of your buy phase, you may spend 2 favors to flip your Journey token (it starts face up).
You may need a mechanism to flip the Journey token over, like when you buy a card from the Foreign Market. It may prove useful to use a unique token instead of the overused Journey token. :)

BryGuy

• Explorer
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2023, 11:36:32 am »
+1

Trading Docks • $4 • Action - Duration
Trash a card from your Hand. Play any Treasures from your Hand. You may buy up to two cards from the Foreign Market using the played Treasures.
At the start of your next turn, +1 Buy.
Interesting mechanic :)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2023, 06:07:14 pm by BryGuy »

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2023, 01:54:38 pm »

Ally - Import

You may need a mechanism to flip the Journey token over, like when you buy a card from the Foreign Market. It may prove useful to use a unique token instead of the overused Journey token. :)

That's the "At the start of your buy phase" clause at the end of the thing.

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +493
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2023, 05:54:03 pm »

For this contest, I want you to make use of a "Foreign Market" mechanic, which adds 3 unused kingdom-Card piles into the game, but they are not part of the supply.

- The Foreign Market is divided in 3 classes: Class 1, Class 2 and Class 3 (you may abbreviate them with C1, C2, and C3)
- Each Foreign Market pile consists of a kingdom pile which is not used in the kingdom.
- (Kingdom)Cards which add a Foreign Market to the setup have the type "Import".
- As already told, they are additional piles. They are not part of the supply and can't be gained, played or interacted by other cards than by "Imports" (or landscapes).

Your task is to create a card or a landscape around the Foreign Market. I'm interested in seeing original ways to get, play or interact in any other way with those additional piles.

If i understood correctly then you cant buy these during your buy phase as well? You can only buy them if the import card specefies it
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2023, 06:55:50 am »

After playing a Liason, you may spend favors to play a card from the Foreign markets, 1 favor per $1 it costs, leaving it there.

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2023, 10:24:47 am »

When's judging?

Alki

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2023, 03:46:28 am »

24 hours warning

Alki

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2023, 03:47:05 am »
+1

If i understood correctly then you cant buy these during your buy phase as well? You can only buy them if the import card specefies it

Exactly

Alki

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2023, 07:50:00 am »

3rd: Trading Docks

Basically a Black Market, referring to the Foreign Market. Well yeah, there are some extras like the trashing and the extra buy, but in it's core nothing what makes me very excited. Which doesn't mean it's bad, but a little bit to basic for me.

Now it's more complicated:

World-traveling merchant crew:
Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of the Journey-Token. But in this case I really like it. It feels right from a thematic point of view, you're going on a journey to get some excotic stuff, but while this you're not able to get any cards from your "home"-kingdom. When playing you have to "plan" your trip, so you don't waste to many buy (phases) in the limited "three-pile kingdom", but depending from what's there it adds something to your game and planning when to get thoose cards if you want them.

League of Explorers
Ahh, nice - something which doesn't just say "you may buy them when xy". :)
The Foreign Market as a choice between different effects you can add to a Liason, if you have the favors to play it. There is not that much I have to say here. Simple, straight, but it adds something you can work on.

My winner for this one is
League of Explorers
fika monster

Beacause it's Command-Mechanic is more likely to be used multiple times in a game, instead of one or two buy phases. And it's sonething else than "just buying" them. This being said, I like the other ally and it's implementation of the Journey-Token very much, so it was a very close one.

Finally, I'm a bit surprised there wasn't more which cared about the different classes. I may excpected something like, I don't know, maybe a trait which says "When you gain this gain a C1, when discard this other than during  Clean-Up, gain a C2, when you trash this, gain a C3" or so. But well. Still interesting to see different approaches to deal with this. :)

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2023, 11:20:26 am »
+1

Fika, new mechanic?

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2023, 03:55:24 am »

Let me think! i won both this and Weekly design contest, and i dont think i can handle both. Mind if i just suggest something that someone else can judge?

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2023, 04:01:28 am »

I thought i checked this daily, but appearently i didnt. I think i need a schedule for when i look at this contest, because it feels random to me when it updates. which dates should i look at it? each friday, saturday, sunday?

I pass this on to the next person because i cant think of a fan mechanic. sorry
Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.016 seconds with 20 queries.