Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fan Card Mechanics Week 63: Sweet Dreams  (Read 990 times)

czzzz

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +250
    • View Profile
Fan Card Mechanics Week 63: Sweet Dreams
« on: April 13, 2023, 04:25:00 am »
+4

I would like to use Rush_Clasic's Dream mechanic for this week.

The idea is they trigger at the end of each player's Night phase, before Clean-Up, rewarding players for meeting some kind of requirement during their turn. Although if you have an idea for a Dream that's more of a nightmare and punishes players for doing things, you can do that too.

I think it's a great concept, here's a few mock-ups borrowing ideas from the original post:

Since they can be pretty simple, I thought it might be fun to attach them to a card, Heirloom style, for our contest. When a card with a Dream banner is included in the Kingdom, its Dream is included and affects each player's turns.

So your task this week is to design a Dream and a card that is attached to it.

I tend to judge based on uniqueness, ingenuity, clarity, balance...and if I think it's fun. ;) In this case I'm hoping you can make a Dream and a card that are cool individually, but also maybe have some kind of interesting interaction.
I'm expecting to close the contest in about 6 days and then take a day to judge, but I'll give a 24 hour notice. Have fun!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 02:54:07 pm by czzzz »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Card Mechanics Week 63: Sweet Dreams
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2023, 10:57:58 pm »
+1

Village Idiot
Action - $2
+3 Actions
________
Dream: Glory

Glory
Dream
You may set aside a card from your hand per Action you have. Put the set aside cards in your hand at end of turn

« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 11:05:06 pm by NoMoreFun »

BryGuy

• Explorer
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2023, 11:48:21 pm »
+1

Lady Justice
$5 Action
+1 Buy; Trash up to two cards from your Hand. If they both cost less than $2, gain a Silver to your Hand; otherwise gain a Silver per card trashed.
-
Dream: Counter Balance

Counter Balance
Dream
If you gained three Treasure cards this turn, choose one: gain an Action or Night card costing up to $5; or gain two Action or Night cards costing up to $4; or gain two Horses.
Lady Justice is my replacement for Trading Post, a poorly rated card. Lady Justice can help you get most of the way to completing Counter Balance's goal, but some extra effort is needed.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 11:24:03 am by BryGuy »

czzzz

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2023, 12:21:15 pm »

I was hoping to give the 24 hour warning now, but I hesitate to judge only two submissions, heh.   :-[
So I guess...
48 Hour Warning

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +582
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2023, 01:00:03 pm »
+1

Bewitching Village - $5
Action - Attack
+1 Card
+2 Actions
If you have no duplicates in play, +1 Card and each other player gains a Curse.
Dream: Nightly Prayer
Nightly Prayer
Dream
If you have no duplicates in play, trash up to 2 cards costing $0 from your hand.

Edit: Added pictures, changed Nightly prayer to be more generous, but can't trash starting junk. Now it really is just an effective way to get rid of Coppers and curses.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 06:51:24 pm by Xen3k »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1445
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2023, 01:39:41 pm »
+1

The Secret Histories tell us that trashing a version of Hovel was the correct choice even with 4 Coppers. So here there exists the danger of a simple „buy no stuff, trash 2 Estates“ opening.

Xen3k

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2023, 02:49:02 pm »

The Secret Histories tell us that trashing a version of Hovel was the correct choice even with 4 Coppers. So here there exists the danger of a simple „buy no stuff, trash 2 Estates“ opening.

True.  :-\
I'll think of an edit to make it less automatic. Thanks.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2023, 10:18:30 am »
+3

My Submission:

Desert • Dream
Gain a non-Victory card costing up to $1 per differently named card you have in play.
Confectioner • Action • $4
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may discard a card for +$2.

When you gain this, ignore any further gaining this turn.

I had a little trouble deciding what to submit for this one, so I decided to take the contest name literally. Dessert gives you a "treat" at the end of every turn, whether you want it or not. Confectioner is a strong $4, even with it's on-gain effect. That effect interacts with Dessert in two ways: first, if you want to avoid Confectioner's penalty and gain it as one of multiple cards, using Dessert's gaining ability ensures that it's the last thing you do on a given turn; alternatively, you can use Confectioner to prevent Dessert from junking you if you don't have enough different cards in play.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

czzzz

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2023, 12:55:41 pm »
+1

NoMoreFun
Village Idiot

There’s not much to say about it but that doesn’t mean there’s something wrong with it.  It’s well-priced and does what it intends to do, you know? In a set without a Village or with lots of terminal actions, this would be welcome even if it takes some work to use.
Glory
   Surplus Actions let you save cards, nice. Villages are in even higher demand than normal when this is in the set, haha. There might be times where it’s even worth it not to play something, knowing you can set up something bigger next turn.
VI + Glory
   Whereas in a normal set you’d only pick up VI as you needed it, with Glory you can get away with more of them (although you likely still wouldn’t wanna totally flood your deck with them).

I like em. Scores very high for clarity and balance. They work well individually and of course work well together, and I like the theme of a VI dreaming of Glory, haha.

BryGuy
Lady Justice

Chooses between thinning and Silver gaining, based on the cost of the trashed cards. Aside from the odd Action card you’re done with, the Silver gaining is usually just gonna kick in for Estate trashing, which is a shame since the gaining Silvers to your hand is maybe the more unique part and takes advantage of the +1 Buy. But who doesn’t love a thinner?
Counter  Balance
  Probably need a gainer and some buys to pull it off optimally, and you might not be able to trigger it at all in other sets. But if you manage to, you’ve got cool gaining options available to you! It’s enough of a reward that I think you’d try to take advantage of it even if it takes some work, in sets where it’s possible.
LJ + CB
   Well now even if you’re done thinning, LJ can mill Silvers within your hand to reach the CB threshold. Effective.

I think LJ stands alone okay, although CB is pretty dependent. That’s fine. It’s interesting to have Silver milling be the optimal strategy for your cards, so that scores some uniqueness points, haha.

Xen3k
Bewitching Village

At first I was like “Lost City plus cursing?! How is that $5?” but of course only your first BV in a turn can do it (the rest of the time operating as the plain $3 Village), and that’s only if the conditions are met (like if you drew it early in your turn). So it looks good, and I’m always a sucker for variety-rewarding cards anyways, haha.
Nightly Prayer
   You’d make sure to buy some $ producing stuff before you start using it, but after that you can get rid of Coppers and Curses pretty darn effectively if you build your deck for this, and/or sacrifice playing some cards.
BV + NP
   Interestingly, although the conditions are identical in text, they’re in different phases and it takes more to trigger NP than BV’s condition. The other connection between them is that NP can act as cleanup for victims of BV’s attack if they work for it, softening the attack somewhat.

These felt like realistic but cool cards. Great stuff!

emtzalex
Confectioner

OK so you won’t gain it with the average gainer since it would shut down your turn, but otherwise you just buy it last and you can avoid that restriction. Play-wise, I’d say it’s a pretty powerful cantrip, especially early game (where most of your deck is junk) and late game (where you have more Victory to discard). In any case, it’s optional discard on a cantrip, so it never really hurts to have a bunch of them.
Dessert
   A Dream that will be junking you early on, but can reward you for variety later on. Surprisingly brutal in practice, hahaha, I love that.
Confectioner + Dessert
   Well you took care of the combo analysis for me, lol. I agree with your comments.

As the only Dream submission that can harm you, that scores high on uniqueness. These operate great individually and combine well too. Great cards

Thanks to everyone that submitted! I appreciate your time and creativity. :)

RESULTS

Runners-up: emtzalex, NoMoreFun
Winner: Xen3k

*Bonus*
Since we were kinda low on submissions, I thought I’d throw a couple of my own in; try to pad it a little bit, lol. They’re silly, but whatever

Xen3k

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2023, 10:10:57 am »
+1

Thanks for judging czzzz! This was fun! I will try and have something up later in the day.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 20 queries.