Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 87  All

Author Topic: RMM54: Hunger Games Mafia - Game Over!  (Read 211905 times)

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
Re: RMM54: Hunger Games Mafia - Day 2
« Reply #1450 on: April 01, 2020, 02:42:58 am »

Are you trying to suggest that under the standard definition of scummy you can only apply it when you're certain someone is scum?

I'm trying to suggest that under the standard definition of scummy that you provided, it can only be applied when you can be certain that the action you are applying it to is more likely to be taken by scum.

And I am also suggesting that it is impossible to be certain of that due to human nature, historical record, etc.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: April 01, 2020, 02:44:19 am »

I happen to think your action was taken by you with a non-town alignment.
I just wish to know why you think that, if you don't also think it's more likely that I would take that action as scum.

It seems to me that you are comfortable talking about who is scum or town in terms of opinions, but when it comes to the likelihood of of an action being taken from town or scum, opinions are bad and only hard, undisputable facts (which are of course impossible to come by) are relevant. I can't say I get that, but at least I feel I understood something about your approach.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: April 01, 2020, 02:47:14 am »

Like, it seems to me that from ashersky's perspective.

- "I think X is town" is a useful statement even though you cannot be certain of it.
- "I think X is more likely to do Y as scum" is not a useful statement becuase you cannot be certain of it.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: April 01, 2020, 02:53:04 am »

I happen to think your action was taken by you with a non-town alignment.
I just wish to know why you think that, if you don't also think it's more likely that I would take that action as scum.

It seems to me that you are comfortable talking about who is scum or town in terms of opinions, but when it comes to the likelihood of of an action being taken from town or scum, opinions are bad and only hard, undisputable facts (which are of course impossible to come by) are relevant. I can't say I get that, but at least I feel I understood something about your approach.

I guess.

Whether or not a player is "towny" or "scummy" is subjective; it is based on the observer's opinions and experiences.  Saying "X is town" is different than saying "X is towny."  One is a verifiable fact and the other is an opinion.

When it comes to taking an action, for example "lying as town," I think I tend to apply the adjectives "towny" or "scummy" in a less subjective manner.  That is, I feel like we should be able to objectively agree that it is one or the other.  People's opinions vary, though, and we end up not agreeing, which is fine.  Some will say it is towny, others will say scummy.  Opinions aren't bad, per se, but I'd like them to be consistent.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: April 01, 2020, 02:54:24 am »

Like, it seems to me that from ashersky's perspective.

- "I think X is town" is a useful statement even though you cannot be certain of it.
- "I think X is more likely to do Y as scum" is not a useful statement becuase you cannot be certain of it.

The second statement is not the same as "I think Y is more likely to be done by scum."  The second statement is about a player, which makes it useful.

Scola not voting for two flipped mafia players is scummy.
Not voting for two flipped mafia players is scummy.

Those two are not equal (to me).

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #1455 on: April 01, 2020, 02:54:33 am »

can we talk about the game please
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: April 01, 2020, 02:58:48 am »

Are you trying to suggest that under the standard definition of scummy you can only apply it when you're certain someone is scum?

I'm trying to suggest that under the standard definition of scummy that you provided, it can only be applied when you can be certain that the action you are applying it to is more likely to be taken by scum.

And I am also suggesting that it is impossible to be certain of that due to human nature, historical record, etc.

I mean, obviously it's subjective.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: April 01, 2020, 03:06:29 am »

When it comes to taking an action, for example "lying as town," I think I tend to apply the adjectives "towny" or "scummy" in a less subjective manner.  That is, I feel like we should be able to objectively agree that it is one or the other.  People's opinions vary, though, and we end up not agreeing, which is fine.  Some will say it is towny, others will say scummy.  Opinions aren't bad, per se, but I'd like them to be consistent.

I don't think "Is lying as Town scummy?" is a question that makes any sense. Lying as Town may or may not be pro-Town and lying may or may not be scummy.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: April 01, 2020, 03:11:45 am »

Yeah. I think there's a fair bit of Someone Is Wrong On The Internet Syndrome going around. Not pro-Town but not necessarily scummy.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: April 01, 2020, 03:21:02 am »

Sure!  Vote for faust.  I believe he was assigned a non-town alignment.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: April 01, 2020, 03:37:02 am »

Request prod on Lekkit

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #1461 on: April 01, 2020, 06:47:52 am »

Here's what I would like to know: Glooble, why did you bring this up if you weren't going to vote for faust or major a case on him?

Because it seems like information town should have.

Also, maybe when I made the post I was thinking I was going to vote for faust, but I haven’t been able to.

The district QTs engender a kind of manufactured solidarity and trust that makes voting for your neighbor feel like a betrayal. It’s something a scum player could manipulate easily and I think that has me on my guard. Basically I keep second guessing myself on whether faust feels townie to me because he is and my gut reads are good or whether faust feels townie because he’s manipulating me.

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #1462 on: April 01, 2020, 06:50:09 am »

That being said I’m aware that time is running out and I need to vote somewhere. Discussion about lynching faust dominating the conversation while no one actually voted for him isn’t helpful either.

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: April 01, 2020, 08:34:01 am »

I lost my reply to all the ash shenanigans...and I don't care. Ash, I had a bunch of things to say, but I'll shorten to this: calling something scummy, for me, is the same as saying I think that person is scum because they did that action. It's shorthand for "in my experience I've seen that X is something scum does more than town on average and thus indicates to me that they are scum". Whatever definition people want to use that is grounded on literal probabilities are foolish.

Now, the game.

Here's what I would like to know: Glooble, why did you bring this up if you weren't going to vote for faust or major a case on him?

Are you faust's buddy?

That being said I’m aware that time is running out and I need to vote somewhere. Discussion about lynching faust dominating the conversation while no one actually voted for him isn’t helpful either.

No one, you say, huh...last time I checked I was in this game.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: WestCoastDidds
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: April 01, 2020, 08:38:46 am »

Good morning! Wow....I like thinking about words and that is a lot more content than I’d have ever expected. Words are slippery and ambiguous, but the only tools we have for playing this game in this medium.

At the end of it all, I feel like I know Ashersky somewhat better, and I also think that it would beyond awesome if we could all actually sit and talk sometime. I’m not sure anyone would feel insulted or misunderstood if we could do this with eye contact and gestures.

Anyway.... the game!

Remember when LaLight got that gift from the heavens? That was cool.

Or how about a vote count? The last one I see is on my page 52, and scolapasta was way out in front.

Deadline is tomorrow at 9pm-ish FT

classic Diddsian meddling
I never got to read what Didds said, but whatever she's saying, she's right.

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: April 01, 2020, 09:07:17 am »

^^ Thanks Jimmmmm. You saved me a lot of typing.

For me, who everyone finds dumber than anyone else, could you break it down like this?

Is lying as town a good thing or a bad thing?
Is doing a bad thing scummy?
Are scummy things anti-town or pro-town?
Anti-town is different from scummy.

Lying as town is anti-town. 

I don't know faust's alignment, and the information here doesn't help me decide what it is.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: April 01, 2020, 09:17:10 am »

Or how about a vote count? The last one I see is on my page 52, and scolapasta was way out in front.

I mean there's also one on 57 where I'm less in front.

So most games have all this debate about word meanings? Or is this just the quarantine making everyone a little extra stir crazy?
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: April 01, 2020, 09:33:42 am »

vote: ashersky.

This is the second day in a row he has cluttered the thread with endless arguments after having already made his point the first time.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: April 01, 2020, 09:49:44 am »

This is the second day in a row he has cluttered the thread with endless arguments after having already made his point the first time.
And this makes him scum why?

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: April 01, 2020, 10:01:15 am »

I mean there's also one on 57 where I'm less in front.

So most games have all this debate about word meanings? Or is this just the quarantine making everyone a little extra stir crazy?

I find these particular debates unusual. There are often questions about why someone said something, but not often at a semantic level and to this extent. Thanks for the tip on a more recent vote count. I’m better once I’ve had coffee....

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #1470 on: April 01, 2020, 10:05:53 am »

Vote Count 2.WCD

scolapasta (3): faust, ADK, WCD
faust (2): MiX, LaLight
Ashersky (2): Cayvie, EFHW

Not Voting (7): Glooble, E!, Jimmm, Ashersky, scolapasta, Lekkit, Shraeye

With 14 alive, takes 8 players to lynch.
Deadline for Day 2 is April 2nd at 9:12pm Forum Time.

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: April 01, 2020, 11:12:45 am »

And this makes him scum why?
Tried and true scum method to impede scum hunting.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: April 01, 2020, 11:16:32 am »

I'm going to go ahead and vote: ashersky

I'm willing to admit I'm not so sure, i.e. the impeding seems a little excessive and *too* obvious.

But I'll also admit, part of my reasoning is self-preservation.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: April 01, 2020, 11:50:03 am »

Because it seems like information town should have.

Also, maybe when I made the post I was thinking I was going to vote for faust, but I haven’t been able to.

The district QTs engender a kind of manufactured solidarity and trust that makes voting for your neighbor feel like a betrayal. It’s something a scum player could manipulate easily and I think that has me on my guard. Basically I keep second guessing myself on whether faust feels townie to me because he is and my gut reads are good or whether faust feels townie because he’s manipulating me.

i really like this post. i definitely find myself having similar thoughts about my district buddy; i get the gut feeling that she's town, and then i second guess whether that's genuine intuition or whether i just really want to have a neighbor i can trust.
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: April 01, 2020, 11:50:51 am »

scolapasta, out of ADK, Shraeye, Jimmm and Ashersky, who would you prefer to lynch today?
Back at you, mate. I know this is getting old, but I'm still waiting for you to share your scumreads.

The sad truth is that I don't have a strong scumread on anyone. There's been bickering going on but not much else. I do think we should look at the people who were not on the Raptor wagon. Maybe not people on the mail-mi wagon, but that leaves us with a very small lynch pool.

And that leaves scolapasta, Jimmm, and Ashersky. If we include the mail-mi people we also have ADK, me and Shraeye.

Out of the first pool, I'd rather not lynch Jimmm. I could go for both scola and Ash. Out of the second group I'd also be willing to go for Shraeye.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 87  All

Page created in 0.57 seconds with 16 queries.