Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 87  All

Author Topic: RMM54: Hunger Games Mafia - Game Over!  (Read 211943 times)

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
Re: RMM54: Hunger Games Mafia - Arena Opening Today!!
« Reply #275 on: March 19, 2020, 09:49:41 am »

Scum just lie, even if it doesn’t seem sensible.  I think.

Or they don’t want town knowing what item they got due to the name.  Or they want someone to counterclaim an item because they are an item cop or something.  Dunno.  They just lie.

ash, I often found disagreeing with you in the past and I think this statement provides some of the reason why. I think scum try to tell the truth as much as they can. I think most people when playing as scum try to create this alternate reality in their heads in which they are Town, and tell the truth based on that reality, except for when doing so is likely to be bad for their team (such as avoiding lynching teammates).
I think ashersky is just projecting the way he plays scum, but yeah you're right, most people try to lie as little as possible as scum.

I think you are both wrong.  Or at least, talking about different things.

"Tell the truth as much as they can" and "lie as little as possible" to me read as if you are talking about game behavior in general.  Re-reading my line, maybe you thought I meant the same, as it isn't clear.  But I was responding (I think) to someone within a discussion about claiming and benefits of the info we get.

I mean that scum lie when specifically put in a position where it is advantageous, such as in claims.

I mean, there's the obvious "I'm not scum" lie that they have to tell.  Then there's the "my role is X" or "my result was X" or "some info I have implies X" lies that they tell.  These types of lies are almost always in response to a request OR as part of an effort to lynch someone.

If the truth serves their purpose, of course they tell the truth.  But if it doesn't, they lie.  And I believe that is the more correct assertion.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 19, 2020, 09:53:11 am »

I mean that scum lie when specifically put in a position where it is advantageous, such as in claims.

I mean, there's the obvious "I'm not scum" lie that they have to tell.  Then there's the "my role is X" or "my result was X" or "some info I have implies X" lies that they tell.  These types of lies are almost always in response to a request OR as part of an effort to lynch someone.

If the truth serves their purpose, of course they tell the truth.  But if it doesn't, they lie.  And I believe that is the more correct assertion.
And I maintain that most people here lie less frequently as scum than they should. They are uncomfortable with lying about their role and thus claim something close to the truth.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #277 on: March 19, 2020, 10:05:24 am »

Shraeye, what's the downside of telling us what Scola actually said in the QT to make you so suspicious?

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 19, 2020, 10:06:32 am »

well right now my gut says that there's a next-to-zero chance that shraeye and scola are scumbuddies, because damn that would be a cold move by shraeye

i do want to hear the gist of what happened, though.
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 19, 2020, 10:12:54 am »

And I maintain that most people here lie less frequently as scum than they should. They are uncomfortable with lying about their role and thus claim something close to the truth.

I think that's particularly true in a closed game in which you don't know what powers are out there that could catch you in a lie.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 19, 2020, 10:16:32 am »

I think that's particularly true in a closed game in which you don't know what powers are out there that could catch you in a lie.

Well, faust's critical take is at least something I can buy into.

And the fear of being caught out in a lie in a closed game shouldn't have so much power over players -- it's just as likely the power catching you  is the lie (from an unknowing third party perspective) and the scum player should be ready to defend that.

Anyway, why is this a topic, other than it is interesting?  I suspect more lying, you two suspect less lying.  Let's see how it goes.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 19, 2020, 10:16:52 am »

well right now my gut says that there's a next-to-zero chance that shraeye and scola are scumbuddies, because damn that would be a cold move by shraeye

shraeye can be pretty cold.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 19, 2020, 10:19:13 am »

The scola wagon is based on nothing other than Shraye’s completely unsubstantiated assertion. That is typically Shraeye, but the follow along looks scummy to me

Vote: LaLight

vote: WCD

She feels more like she's trying to blend in than in the last couple of games I've played with her. And this LaLight vote feels like a very easy vote to place on someone if you want to pretend to be scumhunting.
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 19, 2020, 10:25:12 am »

but, like, a d1 bus of an unsuspected scumbuddy? who is a total noob? and that you are potentially giving up daychat to do?

there's cold and then there's psychopathy lol

she/her

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 19, 2020, 10:26:28 am »

but, like, a d1 bus of an unsuspected scumbuddy? who is a total noob? and that you are potentially giving up daychat to do?

there's cold and then there's psychopathy lol

Are you really expecting scola to be lynched? They got a day pass because of this.

I don't think shraeye is cold to his teammates, I felt more warmth when I was scum with him.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: March 19, 2020, 10:30:28 am »

Are you really expecting scola to be lynched? They got a day pass because of this.

I don't think shraeye is cold to his teammates, I felt more warmth when I was scum with him.

honestly? yes, i do think there's a realistic chance that scola gets lynched.

if scola wasn't a total noob and i wasn't a lil sentimental, i'd probably be on the wagon right now.

weird to say that he got a day pass because of this tbh. it's not like a voice boomed from the heavens saying "THOU SHALT NOT LYNCH SCOLAPASTA D1" or anything, just some people expressed cold feet.

she/her

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 19, 2020, 10:31:25 am »

I'm giving him a day pass because of this, was what I meant.

And he's being lynched today over my dead body. Dayvig me, I'm ready now.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 19, 2020, 10:32:59 am »

whoa, okay.

she/her

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 19, 2020, 10:34:37 am »

whoa, okay.

I've been the newbie that was lynched day 1, it ruins the current game and the next as there's nothing to read them over. It's a waste and new people are easier to read anyway, especially if they're scum.

And yeah that was a little over the top, that's how I roll.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 19, 2020, 10:37:32 am »

whoa, okay.

I've been the newbie that was lynched day 1, it ruins the current game and the next as there's nothing to read them over. It's a waste and new people are easier to read anyway, especially if they're scum.

well, you've moved from null to townie in my reads now.

she/her

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 19, 2020, 10:44:11 am »

I must've been when I said "I'm scum. You?" /s

I honestly am not sure what it could've been. The only thing is that I haven't been willing to share much in the QT, just like I haven't here (I'm in the don't round claim camp, though if everyone else does, then it's a moot point).

I do think it's best to lay low* right now even with my district partner until I learn more. I'm not sure why that would be suspicious, but I'm especially surprised by the definitiveness of the accusation. (is that just shraeye's style?)

* feel free to convince me otherwise why it's worth trusting my randomly selected district partner over anyone else

So, either, shraeye feels very strongly that not trusting your district partner makes you scum, or shraeye is scum themselves.

vote: shraeye
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 19, 2020, 10:48:01 am »

I feel like shraeye is being shraeye, which is loud, mysterious, and overconfident. I'd like a little more substantial case from him before I vote for the newbie day 1.

In other words, vote: Faust
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 19, 2020, 10:48:18 am »

I feel like shraeye is being shraeye, which is loud, mysterious, and overconfident. I'd like a little more substantial case from him before I vote for the newbie day 1.

That should say, in other news.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 19, 2020, 10:56:03 am »

Bleh, I hate shraeye's move now.

Scola, if you had to vote for anyone else, who would it be?

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 19, 2020, 10:57:36 am »

Anyone other than shraeye?
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 19, 2020, 10:58:53 am »

Anyone other than shraeye?

Yes.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 19, 2020, 11:03:37 am »

faust feels a lil bit townie to me. whatcha got?

she/her

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 19, 2020, 11:06:34 am »

So, either, shraeye feels very strongly that not trusting your district partner makes you scum, or shraeye is scum themselves.
These are not the only options here.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: WestCoastDidds
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 19, 2020, 11:08:13 am »

whoa, okay.

Not often that I straight up agree with MiX, but I do here. There is no time that I get lynched that it doesn’t hurt my feelings. (But I’m tender like that and so that feeling isn’t new to me because, you know, life.) Anyway, I have been playing codenames with Scola, I think he’d like mafia and suggested that he play with us, so I’m not going to participate in getting him lynched on D1 before he gets to figure out how awesome this game and our community are.

classic Diddsian meddling
I never got to read what Didds said, but whatever she's saying, she's right.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: WestCoastDidds
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 19, 2020, 11:10:02 am »

The scola wagon is based on nothing other than Shraye’s completely unsubstantiated assertion. That is typically Shraeye, but the follow along looks scummy to me

Vote: LaLight

vote: WCD

She feels more like she's trying to blend in than in the last couple of games I've played with her. And this LaLight vote feels like a very easy vote to place on someone if you want to pretend to be scumhunting.

LaLight’s move was also a very easy way to pretend to be scumhunting, especially since it was based on nothing but Shraeye’s pronouncement.
classic Diddsian meddling
I never got to read what Didds said, but whatever she's saying, she's right.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 87  All

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 16 queries.