Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 67  All

Author Topic: BM27: Bad Idea Mafia- Game Over, Everyone Loses!  (Read 172890 times)

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: SpaceAnemone
  • Correct Horse Battery Staple
    • View Profile
Re: BM27: Bad Idea Mafia (Day One)
« Reply #425 on: November 17, 2019, 07:35:20 am »

Has anyone so far tried to quantify the expected number of other PRs and scum factions out there? Even just crudely using some kind of heuristic for the discarding step?
Congratulations! Your SpaceAnemone evolved into UniverseAnemone!
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

Brightgalrs

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: Brightgalrs
  • pubby smells
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: November 17, 2019, 07:48:58 am »

Has anyone so far tried to quantify the expected number of other PRs and scum factions out there? Even just crudely using some kind of heuristic for the discarding step?
Yes but it's all on my desktop which I won't be infront of until tommorow. And I need to do a little more work on it, and I need to check my work.
But I think Faust's analysis is something to go on:
Important statistics that are never wrong:

We have 11 Townies, 4 Werewolves, 4 Mafia, 2 Aliens and 2 third parties.
Except that we have at least 12 townies.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: November 17, 2019, 08:44:17 am »

Yes but it's all on my desktop which I won't be infront of until tommorow. And I need to do a little more work on it, and I need to check my work.
But I think Faust's analysis is something to go on:
Important statistics that are never wrong:

We have 11 Townies, 4 Werewolves, 4 Mafia, 2 Aliens and 2 third parties.
Except that we have at least 12 townies.

Except this game doesn't have to be fair.

19 townies, 2 mafia, 1 werewolf, 1 cultist (were they even in the setup?)
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Brightgalrs

• Pawn
  • pubby smells
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: November 17, 2019, 08:59:58 am »

Except this game doesn't have to be fair.

19 townies, 2 mafia, 1 werewolf, 1 cultist (were they even in the setup?)
We're talking about the expected number of each role, a probability concept. There's like billions of ways this game could be set up, still millions if you only consider alignment. Looking at the expected value is better than nothing.

It looks like Faust took the proportions of each alignment in the full list and multiplied it out over 46, the roles we all picked from.
So there are 84/146 town roles multiply that by 46 gives 26.4 expected town roles. 16 were discarded, leaving 10 or 11 expected townies in this game. Do that for each alignment to get their expected value.
I'm pretty sure this is a correct interpretation. But factoring in that some roles are better than others might change the expected numbers around, making them more accurate. And that's what I've been working on, still a work in progress.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: November 17, 2019, 09:33:26 am »

Look at that, sudgy posted and STILL hasn’t fullclaimed his role. Lynch the scum.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: November 17, 2019, 09:35:41 am »

Look at that, sudgy posted and STILL hasn’t fullclaimed his role. Lynch the scum.

Desperate much? You do realize that...you know what I'm just gonna quote another post I made, I'm going in circles.

Sudgy still hasn’t said which miller he is. Which is further evidence that he’s not a miller (since he risks a counterclaim if he specifies)

Except we all know that if you don't specify it's a normal miller. Ain't that right sudgy?

Also you're scumscumscumscumscumscumscumscumscumscum.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: November 17, 2019, 09:42:28 am »

If that’s the case, he can confirm it.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: November 17, 2019, 09:43:33 am »

Also, let’s just call attention to the manner in which MiX is both coaching and defending sudgy. Something to remember for tomorrow.

He/him

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: November 17, 2019, 09:53:10 am »

Also, let’s just call attention to the manner in which MiX is both coaching and defending sudgy. Something to remember for tomorrow.

Oh so he's your mafia buddy?

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: November 17, 2019, 10:35:17 am »

I find myself once again insulted by how bad people think I am at being scum.

He/him

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: November 17, 2019, 10:36:55 am »

I find myself once again insulted by how bad people think I am at being scum.

And yet we're supposed to expect you're bad at being town?

I mean, yes, you are.

Screw this, you win.

Get your D3 self into D2 and we got a deal.

Vote: sudgy because you can't show me results today.

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
Re: BM27: Bad Idea Mafia
« Reply #436 on: November 17, 2019, 10:38:57 am »

@Bright, I don't think you ever responded to WCD's question here, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you're somewhere on the math/eng/logic side of things? :-)

Last personal question, Bright....what area of study in grad school? Partly I’m curious, and partly because we have some word/journalism/Comm people and some math/eng/logic people and it helps understand them. And of course lots that are neither/both, but oddly we know their work schedules...

Also, would you mind adding an avatar pic (just something visually distinct from the other players), and also some kind of searchable text to make it easier for people to read you in isolation without having to go to your user page and in so doing, losing the rest of the context in the thread? Either a "Shuffle iT Username", or a short unique text string that's unlikely to come up in the flow of the thread? Thank you!
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: November 17, 2019, 10:50:03 am »

Space Count

jotheonah (6): faust, mail-mi, sudgy, Joseph2302, DatSwan, SpaceAnemone
sudgy (10): 2.71828....., Glooble, jotheonah, pubby, WestCoastDidds, Eevee, Galzria, EFHW, LaLight, MiX
faust (1): Uncleeurope
LaLight (1): raerae
Not Voting (4): pingpongsam, Shraeye, Archetype, Brightgalrs

So MiX's vote was L-2.

Oh, and Request prod on PPS. I had to update my vote-counting script so it didn't throw an error at encountering someone with zero game posts while trying to count how many posts each player makes for my summary stats at the end!

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: November 17, 2019, 10:51:58 am »

Vote: pps

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: November 17, 2019, 11:01:35 am »

Vote: Joth

I discarded one shot unlynchable because it’s the one town role that looks scummy as shit in my hands.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: November 17, 2019, 11:02:07 am »

Vote: Joth

I discarded one shot unlynchable because it’s the one town role that looks scummy as shit in my hands.

What does that mean?

Vote: joth

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: November 17, 2019, 11:06:00 am »

The case has probably been made but I skimmed this blowed up thread thanks to 23 players. If I am Mafia Dayvig my options are to hope I make it to the end of an extremely long game to force a win or get it out of the way early. Since I can communicate with my partners this an easy setup, in fact, I might even get said partners to pile on my wagon to get there sooner. So scum points to early Joth wagon.

As a twin dayvig my best play is to stay alive and get an informative wagon on me and play scummy af to make it as town loaded as possible and prior to getting fully lynched take a shot at my scummiest off wagon read.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: November 17, 2019, 11:07:22 am »

Look I didn’t study the rolelist but me survive a lynch will appear to be anything but town. Say mafia governor or something. Me staying alive is not going to help town.

Brightgalrs

• Pawn
  • pubby smells
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: November 17, 2019, 11:18:01 am »

@Bright, I don't think you ever responded to WCD's question here, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you're somewhere on the math/eng/logic side of things? :-)

Last personal question, Bright....what area of study in grad school? Partly I’m curious, and partly because we have some word/journalism/Comm people and some math/eng/logic people and it helps understand them. And of course lots that are neither/both, but oddly we know their work schedules...
You're right I missed that. I got my bachelors in industrial engineering but "switched" to computational linguistics for master's. So yeah, math, computers, and engineering, but also softer stuff like syntax and semantics.

Also, would you mind adding an avatar pic (just something visually distinct from the other players), and also some kind of searchable text to make it easier for people to read you in isolation without having to go to your user page and in so doing, losing the rest of the context in the thread? Either a "Shuffle iT Username", or a short unique text string that's unlikely to come up in the flow of the thread? Thank you!
Yeah I can do that.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: November 17, 2019, 12:19:19 pm »

Look I didn’t study the rolelist but me survive a lynch will appear to be anything but town. Say mafia governor or something. Me staying alive is not going to help town.
I agree that Lynchproof is a negative utility role most of the time.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: November 17, 2019, 12:20:39 pm »

I agree that Lynchproof is a negative utility role most of the time.

Not with a flipped scum unlynchable which makes the other unlynchable mafia or town, which means a cop can find out their alignment. But that wasn't public.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: WestCoastDidds
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: November 17, 2019, 04:03:56 pm »

An excellent guess, Space!  Ha!
classic Diddsian meddling
I never got to read what Didds said, but whatever she's saying, she's right.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: November 17, 2019, 04:25:56 pm »

Vote Count 1.5

jothenoah (9): faust, mail-mi, sudgy, Joseph2302, DatSwan, SpaceAnemone, Brightgalrs, pingpongsam, MiX
faust (1): Uncleeurope
sudgy (9): e, Brightgalrs, Glooble, jotheonah, pubby, WestCoastDidds, Eevee, Galzria, EFHW, LaLight
Lalight (1): raerae

Not Voting (2): shraeye, Archetype

With 22 alive, it takes 12 to lynch. Day One ends at 6:00 UTC, 11/22/19.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: November 17, 2019, 04:31:48 pm »

vote: Joth

L-2
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: November 17, 2019, 08:09:14 pm »

You're right I missed that. I got my bachelors in industrial engineering but "switched" to computational linguistics for master's. So yeah, math, computers, and engineering, but also softer stuff like syntax and semantics.

Cool! I'm more on the image analysis & machine learning end of the computer & engineering melting pot.

Yeah I can do that.

Thank you! I like your blueish square :-) Does Pubby appreciate your unique text?
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 67  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 20 queries.