Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fan Wiki option?  (Read 4539 times)

DooWopDJ

• Golem
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
Fan Wiki option?
« on: January 06, 2019, 01:04:10 pm »
+2

Would there be any interest in building a Fan Card Wiki?  I am curious what other people have created and seeing how similar other cards are, but without a Wiki it is not an easy task

Violet CLM

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +448
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Wiki option?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 05:26:57 pm »
+1

I don't think the wiki model is a great match. Too text-focused, whereas I think you'd want easy comment forms, and version histories for different texts/prices/whatever, and easy ways to link cards to other cards, and create alternate versions of cards, and define lists/decks, and maybe even something to help with printing.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 05:32:55 pm »
+4

I would be interested in a fan card repository, but probably not a wiki. Something where you can submit and to some extent edit the fan cards and add info (e.g. tags, maybe some way to mark an "expansion" or related cards), and allow for comments and suggestions.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 07:00:20 pm »
+1

I like this idea, but don't know the best way to do it. I don't know that a wiki format would be that bad for it, but there's probably something better.

Neirai the Forgiven

• Explorer
  • Respect: +134
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 10:05:23 am »
+1

I've been tempted to do something like this, with a built-in randomizer driven by a rules engine.
I've had a few thoughts on how to do it, but the question is cost (mostly time cost). I'm not sure how much use it would get.

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 05:56:49 pm »

Someone could make a fan card page on the wiki. That could be a short term solution.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 08:28:24 pm »

Nerai the forgiven it would certainly be cool with the fan based expansions with a randomizer on a wiki. But only if you could pick and choose what fan based expansions you want randomized. Antiquities is the only fan based expansion I’ve really liked besides my own, most of the others haven’t really caught my eye yet.

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 05:56:27 pm »

It would be great, if there was something like the Create A Card section on playagricola.com. But this would require a lot of work.

herw

• Golem
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2019, 02:24:34 am »

It would be great, if there was something like the Create A Card section on playagricola.com. But this would require a lot of work.
That doesn't look very professional. It is better to use a template for creating a card.

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 01:58:36 pm »

That doesn't look very professional. It is better to use a template for creating a card.
What do you mean with that? We already have a Dominion card generator which is superior to the Agricola card generator and it already has a template. A ranking system and the possibility to add comments to cards is a strength of playagricola, we could also use for a potential Dominion fan card portal.

DooWopDJ

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2019, 02:10:02 pm »

Yes, Violet CLM is much easier to use.  I suspect it would be possible to buy a forum to allow registered users to post into an Online forum.  And maybe someway of the form to parse the Violet CLM URL into the independent fields.  I have designed about 30.  And will eventually find a place where I can post them in Wiki forum. But hoping someone with better Wiki technical experience to implement something.

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2019, 02:33:46 pm »

Yes, Violet CLM is much easier to use.

Honestly, the only advantage of Violet CLM’s generator is that you don’t have to click on „Preview“, but you have to manually type „Action“ and select the correct template.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5349
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2019, 03:28:49 pm »

Yes, Violet CLM is much easier to use.

Honestly, the only advantage of Violet CLM’s generator is that you don’t have to click on „Preview“, but you have to manually type „Action“ and select the correct template.

Except that this way it allows for arbitrary types, even arbitrary colors. Picking only from given templates would be very limiting in comparison.

Violet CLM

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +448
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2019, 05:53:17 pm »
+3

My expectation has always been that if people expect to want to make the same sort of card over and over, they can just use dedicated bookmarks in lieu of templates, e.g. Treasure, Landmark.

herw

• Golem
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2019, 12:33:50 am »

My expectation has always been that if people expect to want to make the same sort of card over and over, they can just use dedicated bookmarks in lieu of templates, e.g. Treasure, Landmark.
There is generally a problem: if you want to print your cards (professionally), you have to test the given colours (of banners f.i.) and the dimensions of the card (how many pixel width is best) etc.. So (for me) it is the best to have a special template which is optimal for a professional printer shop.
If you only want to present your ideas here, a card image generator i quick and useful.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 12:35:13 am by herw »

Shard of Honor

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: Shard of Honor
  • Respect: +199
    • View Profile
    • Fan Card Creator
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2019, 04:42:50 am »
+4

There is generally a problem: if you want to print your cards (professionally), you have to test the given colours (of banners f.i.) and the dimensions of the card (how many pixel width is best) etc.. So (for me) it is the best to have a special template which is optimal for a professional printer shop.
If you only want to present your ideas here, a card image generator i quick and useful.

I think the intention of the card generator was not to produce printable cards but quick mock-ups. And that it solves fine.
For printing, there are at first the differences of text and number positioning in every browser and operating system and of course it operates in RGB coloring. A template in CMYK will always produce better results with printers. You can also see, that the colors in the online implementation are slightly different from the printed cards, as they are optimized for screen color compositions instead of printed physical color pigments.

Back to the fan-card-wiki:
At first: Great idea, but I am also not sure if the wiki idea is suited best (but I have no experience in building wikis).
For a custom implementation, I would say the most important features are searchability and filtering for different types, attack types, authors, fan expansions, cost, and so on.
The card image could be uploaded as a file. So every one can still use the template of their choice.
Integration of the generator would be nice, to reduce double entry. The difference here is, that the generator is currently implemented only in javascript and running locally in the browser. A fan-card-wiki needs some server with a database to store all the information.
Additional features could be comments and versioning of the cards. Or simply have referenceable URLs and keep the discussion here as it is.
Yeah. And a custom implementation still has to solve the login and potentially spam issues...

So much for my thoughts. This got longer than expected.
Edit: Removed some typos. Shouldn't write such long texts on my phone...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 03:05:15 am by Shard of Honor »
You might want to check out my own fan-card creations, built with this.

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2019, 04:34:47 pm »

I feel, that a wiki would not be the right system, because the idea of a wiki is, that everyone can edit pages. What I really would like is just a platform where you can create cards and other people can comment and rate them.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2019, 02:43:39 am »
+2

I feel, that a wiki would not be the right system, because the idea of a wiki is, that everyone can edit pages. What I really would like is just a platform where you can create cards and other people can comment and rate them.

Here's one for you: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?board=11.0
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

DooWopDJ

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2019, 11:03:12 am »

My initial interest in a Wiki was a way to compare all of the available Fan Cards that have been created.  I have designed about 50 different card types (and I am confident that I have not repeated other previously created cards).  While a wiki is usually 'public', I think they can be setup in a way were only approved users can add entries (as to avoid 1 and one entries) or other malicious activities.  The closest option I can think of is just allowing a 'tabular' format similar to >>>
http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/List_of_cards

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1353
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2019, 02:12:58 pm »

honestly a public trello is probably the easiest way to do this but i don't know if there's like, "moderation" tools in trello or if one bad actor could wreck the board.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.512 seconds with 21 queries.