Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15  All

Author Topic: Annoying and potentially harmful card anti-synergies  (Read 101972 times)

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
Re: Annoying and potentially harmful card anti-synergies
« Reply #300 on: July 13, 2022, 05:16:50 am »
+4

In a game with Warlord winning the Magpie split suddenly becomes a lot less appealing...
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 13, 2022, 02:25:29 pm »
+1

In a game with Warlord winning the Magpie split suddenly becomes a lot less appealing...

Alchemist really hates Warlord too
They/them

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #302 on: July 16, 2022, 09:40:18 am »
+5

Playing a Champion stops your opponent's Old Witches from trashing your Curses.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 24, 2022, 03:18:06 pm »

Rabble no longer topdecks Curses if Charlatan is in the kingdom
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 24, 2022, 03:20:19 pm »

Had a really bad Warlord interaction in a recent game. Peasant game with Highway. I bought a bunch of Highways and put the +buy token on the pile

... And then ended up frequently only able to play two Highways and having a hand full of unplayable Highways, because my opponent managed to get 3 Warlords
They/them

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 27, 2022, 01:46:06 pm »

This one might not even be a negative synergy, but an inverse reverse negative synergy?  Possession and Barbarian.  If your opponent has Barbarians it becomes pretty dangerous to play them, as Barbarian smashes to a curse like 30% of the time.  You won't lose the cards you trash, and if you faux trash good cards, you could get some free lower-cost cards, but if you could easily cause yourself to gain a curse too.
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

vidicate

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: vidicate
  • Something clever goes here
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 27, 2022, 06:14:29 pm »
+4

This one might not even be a negative synergy, but an inverse reverse negative synergy?  Possession and Barbarian.  If your opponent has Barbarians it becomes pretty dangerous to play them, as Barbarian smashes to a curse like 30% of the time.  You won't lose the cards you trash, and if you faux trash good cards, you could get some free lower-cost cards, but if you could easily cause yourself to gain a curse too.
Anyone not possessed still trashes their cards, including the possessor.
WHERE ARE THE TURTLES?!!! …WHERE ARE THEY?!
-----
Felix: Let's see if you guys are as good as they say.
Grif: Prepare to be sorely disappointed.
-----
Who da man? I da man. I always suspected. -Dr. House

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 28, 2022, 04:45:35 pm »

oof. u are right.then it is even better.  as you force them to choose between the 2 coins or trashing their own cards.  Really makes Barbarian a nice possession counter.  More fun than greening your deck to death to spite them.
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 29, 2022, 01:32:40 am »
+3

oof. u are right.then it is even better.  as you force them to choose between the 2 coins or trashing their own cards.  Really makes Barbarian a nice possession counter.  More fun than greening your deck to death to spite them.

That’s just all attack cards, though.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 05, 2022, 12:56:14 am »
+1

populate mint.  When you gain populate you lose all coins used to buy it when Mint is in play.  Still probably worth it usually, but might not wanna get it with plunder or magic lamp in play.  This is a very nasty negtive synergy with like Capitalism say...

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 26, 2022, 07:43:02 am »
+1

If you play a Stockpile after playing Kiln, you gain a Stockpile before you play (and Exile) the first one. This means the Stockpile you gained can't be used to get that Stockpile out of Exile. Not necessarily a bad play, but it limits the number of times you can play Stockpile during a game compared to other gainers.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 28, 2022, 04:20:14 pm »
+7

Turns out that Trail isn't that useful a counter to Skirmisher, if there's more than one Skirmisher in play. This happened to me in a recent game and really confused me at first

My opponent had several Skirmishers in play and bought another Skirmisher, forcing me to discard. One of the cards I discarded was a Trail, so I got to draw another card. But then the server forced me to discard again. It happened that I'd drawn another Trail, so I discarded that, but then I had to discard again, and this time I discarded an Estate. I couldn't figure out what was going on at first, and I thought maybe there was some glitch with the server, but then I realized what was going on

Each Skirmisher that was played had the "discard down to three" effect. Normally that doesn't matter, because once you've discarded to the first Skirmisher, the other Skirmishers can't do anything. But in this case, I had more than three cards after resolving the first Skirmisher, so then when the next Skirmisher was resolved, I had more than 3 cards in hand and thus had to discard again!
They/them

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 16, 2022, 02:49:31 am »
+1

Devils Workshop and Cavalry.  Cavalry don't ride at night.  Only in buy phase.

salvager/trail.  trashing a trail only causes it to be played, and you get a buy from salvaged, but you don't get the 4 coins you were expecting for salvaging trail. Though TBH I'm not sure why you don't get the coins?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 02:50:59 am by Honkeyfresh »

kieranmillar

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: kieranmillar
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 16, 2022, 02:58:57 am »
+5

salvager/trail.  trashing a trail only causes it to be played, and you get a buy from salvaged, but you don't get the 4 coins you were expecting for salvaging trail. Though TBH I'm not sure why you don't get the coins?
Salvaging a Trail definitely gets you 4 coins.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 16, 2022, 09:30:06 pm »

Then it was a glitch. Because me and the other player were discussing it because we didn't get the coins for some reason.  However, the 2 of us played so many games I could never remember which one it was.  It happened to both of us on 2 different turns too.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #315 on: September 17, 2022, 06:53:55 am »
+1

Then it was a glitch. Because me and the other player were discussing it because we didn't get the coins for some reason.  However, the 2 of us played so many games I could never remember which one it was.  It happened to both of us on 2 different turns too.

Was it by any chance game 108054093 against dominationnation on 16-Sep-2022, in which you were the only player who bought Salvager, only trashed a Trail with it once (on your turn 7), and did in fact get +$4?

Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +766
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: September 22, 2022, 10:36:14 am »
+1

Devil's Workshop gets phenomenally better with any horse gainer as it provides a limitless target for Imps (barring, of course the use of Ways, Enchantress, and the like). Further, Cavalry come with a built-in buy and on most boards, functionally cost something like $2 during the buildout phase. That makes it much easier to gain Imps. And as something of a functional equivalent of a Moat; Cavalry work very well with Devil's workshop just gaining whatever village is out.

And then there is the chance to hit early double Dws turns. Going from 5 to 7 cards is a very big increase in odds of getting Cavalry/Village/Imp.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 05, 2022, 03:42:09 pm »

Was it by any chance game 108054093 against dominationnation on 16-Sep-2022, in which you were the only player who bought Salvager, only trashed a Trail with it once (on your turn 7), and did in fact get +$4?

Is this the DSF version of getting doxxed?   ;D
Does it have the chat text too? Because if so we both somehow got that wrong...

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 15, 2022, 11:26:18 pm »
+2

Abundance's Duration effect doesn't play well with cards that let you gain Action cards on an opponent's turn. I had a recent game with Falconer + Abundance, and with one or more Abundances in play I found myself unwilling to use Falconer's Reaction. It would be even worse with cards that can force you to gain Action cards, like Barbarian or Jester, or your opponent buying a Messenger
They/them

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 16, 2022, 03:30:41 pm »

My opponent bought Rogue from the BM on a board with Siren.

I don't think the investment paid off as they were hoping.
My opponent has more loot than me

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 16, 2022, 03:37:33 pm »
+1

Abundance's Duration effect doesn't play well with cards that let you gain Action cards on an opponent's turn. I had a recent game with Falconer + Abundance, and with one or more Abundances in play I found myself unwilling to use Falconer's Reaction. It would be even worse with cards that can force you to gain Action cards, like Barbarian or Jester, or your opponent buying a Messenger

It's doesn't play nice with Cultist or Marauder either.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 17, 2022, 12:50:26 am »

Lich and Journey

Think you can play a Lich without consequences by getting an extra turn? Well if it's Journey, you still don't discard cards from play during Clean-up, so your next turn is going to be a Journey turn. And it's likely to be quite a weak turn with Lich drawing you so many cards.

Never mind, you discard your cards from play during your opponent's Clean-Up phase. The hand you draw won't be as good, but at least you have access to your cards.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 07:38:24 pm by NoMoreFun »

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 17, 2022, 01:50:16 am »
+1

Lich and Journey

Think you can play a Lich without consequences by getting an extra turn? Well if it's Journey, you still don't discard cards from play during Clean-up, so your next turn is going to be a Journey turn. And it's likely to be quite a weak turn with Lich drawing you so many cards.

I think you'd discard during your opponent's Clean-Up phase. That's what it says in the wiki anyways "If you play Lich and buy Journey on the same turn, your cards remain in play, the Journey turn gets skipped, and you'll discard everything from play during the next Clean-up (yours or another player's)." So, I think that when your next regular turn comes around, you'll have already discarded all your cards (barring your opponent skipping a turn from their own Lich)
They/them

allanfieldhouse

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +374
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 17, 2022, 09:18:06 am »
+2

It's doesn't play nice with Cultist or Marauder either.

Just the buff Cultist needed! "Oh, were you saving up your Abundances? Here, have a ruin!"

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 17, 2022, 07:37:04 pm »
+1

Lich and Journey

I think you'd discard during your opponent's Clean-Up phase. That's what it says in the wiki anyways "If you play Lich and buy Journey on the same turn, your cards remain in play, the Journey turn gets skipped, and you'll discard everything from play during the next Clean-up (yours or another player's)." So, I think that when your next regular turn comes around, you'll have already discarded all your cards (barring your opponent skipping a turn from their own Lich)

That might be the case - in the game it happened to me on the game actually ended during my opponent's turn. I just saw my crappy hand and a bunch of cards in play.

Still an anti-synergy if you play so many cards that you draw junk or even fewer than 5 cards.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15  All

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 21 queries.