Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fan Card Mechanics Week 89: Workers  (Read 150 times)

BryGuy

• Explorer
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
Fan Card Mechanics Week 89: Workers
« on: April 24, 2024, 08:40:07 am »
+2

This week's challenge is to use D782802859's Worker. You will design a Worker and a Kingdom card that would bring that Worker into the Kingdom. Below is a brief explanation.
:)
Workers are Supply piles of cards with five cards in them each. When you buy a copy of a Worker, it goes in front of you face-down. The backs are different. At any point during your Action phase, you can over-turn a Worker to receive the effect on the card. You can only over-turn a worker once per turn and you can only have one worker at a time. During your Cleanup phase, you return all face-up Workers to their pile.
Below are some Worker examples.

My main judging criteria is whether I would be excited to see the design in a Kingdom. Important factors:
* balance: is it useful, but not overpowered (both in general and in a variety of Kingdoms)
* playability: it is fun to play and works with more than one type of deck
* simplicity: this doesn't always mean fewer words; a card with lots of text that, once you understand it, can be easily and intuitively be played is better than one with four lines of text that is difficult to understand
* topicality: designs something within the specifications presented

Have fun! I look forward to seeing your entries.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 02:03:22 pm by BryGuy »

Tiago

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: tserridge
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Card Mechanics Week 89: Workers
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2024, 10:18:26 am »
+3

How can you buy them if they're not in the Supply? For my submission, I'm using a rule where the Worker is unbuyable/ungainable and you can only get it through its Kingdom card.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 10:20:13 am by Tiago »

czzzz

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +251
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2024, 10:57:46 pm »
+2

Tongs $2+ Treasure
Put up to 3 cards from your discard pile into your hand. Put that many cards from your hand onto your deck.
You may trash a card from your hand for +$1.
-
Overpay: Per $2 overpaid, take a Striker.

Striker $2* Worker
+3 Cards
Reveal your hand and put each revealed Victory card onto your deck in any order.
(This is not in the Supply.)

Strikers are DoubleLab, how nice! Oh, wait, you do need to make sure there's no Victory cards in your hand after, otherwise you have to Bureaucrat all of them.

Tongs are effective at grabbing things from your discard pile and putting them into your hand and onto your deck. Doesn't increase handsize but does give some control and weak trashing on the cheap. Overpay on Tongs to get some Big Ol Horses that really like Tongs

Tiago

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2024, 12:18:11 am »
+1

Striker feels a bit unrelated to Tongs. And honestly all the effects feel unrelated. Also Striker is a one-shot so it might be too weak. If Tongs provided a way to get a Striker repeatedly it would be fine, but as it is it feels like Tongs would be a better card without the Worker.

Zoyarox

• Steward
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2024, 12:02:07 pm »
+3

Bonus Worker:

czzzz

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +251
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2024, 08:56:48 pm »
+1

Striker feels a bit unrelated to Tongs. And honestly all the effects feel unrelated.
Tongs was made to support Striker. Striker cares about hand/top of deck, so Tongs lets you control some of that. Originally it was just going to be a Sextant/Navigator type effect but I wanted to think up something a little different.
The thematic idea for Striker is that he's a Smithy but sometimes he screws up, haha. And Tongs let you hold stuff, they're something a smithy would use. To me it all connects but yeah sorry if it's tenuous haha

Also Striker is a one-shot so it might be too weak. If Tongs provided a way to get a Striker repeatedly it would be fine
Assuming you have prepared the top of your deck, it's a DoubleHorse that you get to fire at the moment of your choosing, which is why it's one shot. You're right, you won't really be able to build your deck around Striker, but maybe he can get you a nice little spike, idk. I'll buy things for a spike sometimes even if that card isn't my whole strategy. Hostelry gets you a Horse for each Copper you discard on-gain, which is very similar to an overpay of $1 per Horse; so that's what I'm attempting to use for scaling/balancing.

but as it is it feels like Tongs would be a better card without the Worker.
To me they're symbiotic, but no one has to share my opinion haha. I do like Tongs even without the connection to Worker though, could be fun
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 08:58:19 pm by czzzz »

Tiago

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2024, 11:32:24 pm »

Striker feels a bit unrelated to Tongs. And honestly all the effects feel unrelated.
Tongs was made to support Striker. Striker cares about hand/top of deck, so Tongs lets you control some of that. Originally it was just going to be a Sextant/Navigator type effect but I wanted to think up something a little different.
The thematic idea for Striker is that he's a Smithy but sometimes he screws up, haha. And Tongs let you hold stuff, they're something a smithy would use. To me it all connects but yeah sorry if it's tenuous haha

Also Striker is a one-shot so it might be too weak. If Tongs provided a way to get a Striker repeatedly it would be fine
Assuming you have prepared the top of your deck, it's a DoubleHorse that you get to fire at the moment of your choosing, which is why it's one shot. You're right, you won't really be able to build your deck around Striker, but maybe he can get you a nice little spike, idk. I'll buy things for a spike sometimes even if that card isn't my whole strategy. Hostelry gets you a Horse for each Copper you discard on-gain, which is very similar to an overpay of $1 per Horse; so that's what I'm attempting to use for scaling/balancing.

but as it is it feels like Tongs would be a better card without the Worker.
To me they're symbiotic, but no one has to share my opinion haha. I do like Tongs even without the connection to Worker though, could be fun

Somehow I forgot that you don't need to spend an Action to use a Worker. I don't think it's too weak then; double Horses are very good. How does Tongs support Striker? I see that they both look at the top of your deck, but I don't understand how that helps. If you play a Striker (which you can only do in your Action phase, so it prevents playing Tongs then Striker), you get a bunch of Victory cards on your deck, then Tongs lets you put cards from your discard/hand onto your deck. Am I missing something?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.282 seconds with 21 queries.