Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 48  All

Author Topic: Newbie Mafia 9: Grown-up Mafia (Game Over!)  (Read 122716 times)

NotTheRealAlec

• Pawn
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Mafia 9: Grown-up Mafia (Day 1)
« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2016, 05:57:24 pm »

Vote:jakethebaseballgod22

IDontPlayThisGame

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: IDontPlayThisGame
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2016, 06:27:20 pm »

What was that? I couldn't hear you.

1) Chaotic Neutral
2) Face
3) Uninteresting because I can't cast spells

But for mafia answers,
1) SK. It seems fun
2) Vanilla SK
3) I think VT is the most interesting role to be. You have absolutely nothing going for you. No information, no abilities, just whatever you can muster with words and no actions.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2016, 12:42:36 am »

I'm skipping RVS I guess
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

IDontPlayThisGame

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2016, 01:16:01 am »

You could play along and answer LaLight though

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2016, 01:44:20 am »

okay, let's try to build some conversation.

Everyone, answer the following:

1) What is your favorite alignment? (the one you want to be most)
2) What role do you want to be?
3) Being VT is good/bad? Interesting/uninteresting? What would you do if you're VT?

I'll be the first :)

1) I do love to be scum, though I was one only the one time :(
2) I want to be a Jailkeeper, that's interesting role, cause you can Jail either scum or town
3) VT is cool. At first it seems boring, but then you realize you have nothing to fear and less responsibility and sincerely try to find scum.
(1) and (2). Serial killer, because you try and kill everyone.
(3) VT is fine, and it leaves the responsibility with competent people
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

Joseph2302

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 01, 2016, 01:45:20 am »

1) I think at this point in my career, I would much rather be town. Scum can take more work/not be as enjoyable. I feel like I am pretty good as either scum or town, but I don't usually die early, which makes me a better scum in my opinion.

2) I think I would want to be some cool RMM role that is crucial to the survival of town.

3) VT and PR are very different, but at this point, I think I would rather just be a VT.  Of course, my not ever really dying D1 or D2 means that I'm probably better as a PR.

oh and vote: WW.  That guy is still scum
We can kill you D1 or D2 if you like?

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2016, 02:10:14 am »

I kinda want to hang out with you guys.

oh nice, have you taken some drinks?

What, no. Why would you even think that? And in front of minors? Ts, ts.

Also, I only meant Spacey and Haddock :P
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 01, 2016, 02:13:51 am »

1) What is your favorite alignment? (the one you want to be most)
2) What role do you want to be?
3) Being VT is good/bad? Interesting/uninteresting? What would you do if you're VT?

1) Tentatively scum. Though more than one scum game in a row gets exhausting.
2) Deathproof Cop Vigilante?
3) Being VT is okay. Less pressure. Still interesting; sometimes even more so. The crowning achievement of a VT play is to get nightkilled N1.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 01, 2016, 02:18:02 am »

Hi, welcome to the game! (You're the only real newbie, right?)

First, in order to vote, you should bold your request, like this Vote: JakeTheBaseballGod22. Some mods require a space between : and the name.

Second, why don't you tell us a little something about yourself? Prior mafia experience, your alignment, your favorite pet name?

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 01, 2016, 02:39:59 am »

I kinda want to hang out with you guys.

oh nice, have you taken some drinks?

What, no. Why would you even think that? And in front of minors? Ts, ts.

Nothing more than Ginger Lemonade and Hot N/A Gluehwein :P
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 01, 2016, 05:29:54 am »

Vote Count 1.1

Joseph (2): LaLight, Calamitas
LaLight (1): IDon'tPlayThisGame
IDon'tPlayThisGame (1): Joseph
JaketheBaseballGod22 (1): faust

Not Voting (4): JaketheBaseballGod22, NotTheRealAlec, Roadrunner7671, gkrieg13,

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch. Day 1 ends Wednesday 7th December at 2pm forum time.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 07:00:32 am by SpaceAnemone »
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

IDontPlayThisGame

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2016, 11:52:58 am »

Vote Count 1.1

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch. Day 1 ends Wednesday 7th December at 2pm forum time.

If the game is small enough, has anyone gotten lynched during RVS? Like, people accidentally sent too many votes that person's way?

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 01, 2016, 11:55:35 am »

Vote Count 1.1

If the game is small enough, has anyone gotten lynched during RVS? Like, people accidentally sent too many votes that person's way?

I don't know such games though i've read one where Seprix was secret doublevoter, so everyone thought it was l-1 and the guy was suddenly lynched

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2016, 12:01:07 pm »

Wow it's dead silent in here.

Let's talk setup for a bit. As far as I can see, there are no viable fakeclaims for scum. This means any claimed PR is either IC'd (this means that they are confirmed town) or counterclaimed (i.e. somebody else claims the role, or a role that cannot coexist with the claimed one).

This means that anyone who claims immediately basically changes their role from whatever they had to Innocent Child. Some roles I think are so weak that this tradeoff is good.

Weak Visitor is a role that offers information only at a great cost, i.e. dying. It also can appear together with Investigation Immune. That interaction is actually not clarified in the setup post. So What happens if a Weak Visitor targets someone who is investigation immune?

Anyway I think the cost is not worth it, and the Weak Visitors should claim.

The Motion Detector is similarly weak. The problem is that their results are ambiguous, and they might even out the other PR. So for claiming here.

Both also have the advantage that they always appear together with stronger roles, so the mafia will have to choose whether to let the other PR live longer or to keep an IC around.

I'm on the fence about Babysitter. I think claiming may be good because targeting them for a kill is dangerous for the mafia. But things are risky there.

Other opinions?

PPE: 2 (meaning 2 posts since I started typing this)

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 01, 2016, 12:16:53 pm »

Let's talk setup for a bit. As far as I can see, there are no viable fakeclaims for scum. This means any claimed PR is either IC'd (this means that they are confirmed town) or counterclaimed (i.e. somebody else claims the role, or a role that cannot coexist with the claimed one).

This means that anyone who claims immediately basically changes their role from whatever they had to Innocent Child. Some roles I think are so weak that this tradeoff is good.

Weak Visitor is a role that offers information only at a great cost, i.e. dying. It also can appear together with Investigation Immune. That interaction is actually not clarified in the setup post. So What happens if a Weak Visitor targets someone who is investigation immune?

The Motion Detector is similarly weak. The problem is that their results are ambiguous, and they might even out the other PR. So for claiming here.

Both also have the advantage that they always appear together with stronger roles, so the mafia will have to choose whether to let the other PR live longer or to keep an IC around.

I'm on the fence about Babysitter. I think claiming may be good because targeting them for a kill is dangerous for the mafia. But things are risky there.

Other opinions?

This is interesting.  I hadn't actually looked in depth at the setup post yet because I had never played a game of this setup, and didn't read it before signing up because I subbed in at the last second.  I think that the setup is kind of swingy.  There are certain setups that are much better for town, like the one with Watcher/JK/RB.  But then there are other setups that seem very scum favored like Doctor/weak visitor/Role cop. 

Anyway, for the things that faust was actually talking about.  I could see the value in the weak visitor claiming.  They have to preclaim who they are going to target at night anyway right?  Otherwise it doesn't really give us that much information.

Motion Detector isn't super weak in this setup, because you will have at most 6 people with motion.  Ok, maybe that is actually terrible.  Claim would be there.

Babysitter I don't think should claim.  If they are a newb, I would definitely kill them N1, because I would have confidence that they were targeting scum and that you could get a free kill (the person they were targeting).  So I think they should stay quiet, or if they do ever claim, they need to be quiet about their reads.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2016, 12:24:41 pm »

Other opinions?

This is interesting.  I hadn't actually looked in depth at the setup post yet because I had never played a game of this setup, and didn't read it before signing up because I subbed in at the last second.  I think that the setup is kind of swingy.  There are certain setups that are much better for town, like the one with Watcher/JK/RB.  But then there are other setups that seem very scum favored like Doctor/weak visitor/Role cop. 

Anyway, for the things that faust was actually talking about.  I could see the value in the weak visitor claiming.  They have to preclaim who they are going to target at night anyway right?  Otherwise it doesn't really give us that much information.

Motion Detector isn't super weak in this setup, because you will have at most 6 people with motion.  Ok, maybe that is actually terrible.  Claim would be there.

Babysitter I don't think should claim.  If they are a newb, I would definitely kill them N1, because I would have confidence that they were targeting scum and that you could get a free kill (the person they were targeting).  So I think they should stay quiet, or if they do ever claim, they need to be quiet about their reads.

Incredible. I wrote a big post regarding faust's one, then my phone deleted it, i got angry and saw, that you answered with the same words i had. If there's babysitter, don't claim!

IDontPlayThisGame

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2016, 12:25:43 pm »

Do we really want to start claiming this early on D1? I think it's a bit premature. We still haven't gotten real posts from people.

PPE: 1

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 01, 2016, 12:34:05 pm »

Do we really want to start claiming this early on D1? I think it's a bit premature. We still haven't gotten real posts from people.

there are some roles mentioned above who would serve better as Innocent Children (Confirmed town) than their actual roles.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 01, 2016, 12:49:15 pm »

so, having 5 mins of free time I want to do a list of players experience from vet to newb.

1,2) Faust/Gkrieg
3) Roadrunner
4) Joseph
5) Calamitas
6,7) Me/Jake
8) IDPTG
9) NotTheRealAlec

Okay, so, actually, we have a not vet-aligned nor news-aligned game. This is good.
AFAIK, RR and Jake are VLA (possibly Alec with them) so this game won't be so active (we need to wait for them either way).

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 01, 2016, 12:56:50 pm »

Well, if you can put forward reasons against it, I'm happy to read them.

Joseph2302

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2016, 01:36:16 pm »

so, having 5 mins of free time I want to do a list of players experience from vet to newb.

1,2) Faust/Gkrieg
3) Roadrunner
4) Joseph
5) Calamitas
6,7) Me/Jake
8) IDPTG
9) NotTheRealAlec

Okay, so, actually, we have a not vet-aligned nor news-aligned game. This is good.
AFAIK, RR and Jake are VLA (possibly Alec with them) so this game won't be so active (we need to wait for them either way).
I'd put myself at 3) on this list, and RR at 4. I've been playing for 2 years on here.

Joseph2302

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 01, 2016, 01:37:30 pm »

Depends on the board.

Although seriously, it depends on which roles we have.
Some roles are good, others less so.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 01, 2016, 01:41:19 pm »

1,2) Faust/Gkrieg
3) Roadrunner
4) Joseph
5) Calamitas
6,7) Me/Jake
8) IDPTG
9) NotTheRealAlec

I'd put myself at 3) on this list, and RR at 4. I've been playing for 2 years on here.

oh, sorry. I've seen many games with RR, less so with you. Sorry again :)

Joseph2302

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2016, 01:49:45 pm »

1,2) Faust/Gkrieg
3) Roadrunner
4) Joseph
5) Calamitas
6,7) Me/Jake
8) IDPTG
9) NotTheRealAlec

oh, sorry. I've seen many games with RR, less so with you. Sorry again :)
I used to play more, but then I got a real life

Calamitas

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Calamitas
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2016, 02:23:15 pm »

Claims are awful. Every PR is an IC that becomes an IC as soon as they want to. No need to rush there and get killed, doing it whenever they actually appear to get lynched is the way to go.
Not sure what to think about faust Because of that proposal.
Oh, i just don't like mafia games.

Town (5/9): M85, RMM35, M87, NM9, M90RMM38, M92, M91, M102,
Scum (3/3): M84, M88, M100

MVPs (1): M84
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 48  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 16 queries.