Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  All

Author Topic: What I've learnt from Adventures online...  (Read 57073 times)

vsiewnar

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +296
    • View Profile
Re: What I've learnt from Adventures online...
« Reply #150 on: May 11, 2016, 10:30:22 am »
+2

You can still trash your Hermit to Madman even after buying only an Event.

Your opponent's Warrior can trash your Wharf if their Ferry token is on it.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 10:31:35 am by vsiewnar »

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 11, 2016, 12:24:49 pm »
+2

CRAZY bug.
Just played this game: http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160510/log.0.1462901128150.txt
My Spy discarded my opponent's Champion! Did those MF...people actually implement Champion as being the top card of your deck when it's not your turn instead of being in play??

He never played it; it was actually the top card of his deck.

Duh. For some reason I was sure he had been playing with it for several turns.
Well, there's a simple test. If he had played champion then the spy would have no effect on him. Champion blocks attacks.  8)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 11, 2016, 03:09:04 pm »
+3

You can play Coppers, then buy Bonfires to trash them, then (assuming you still have $6) buy Grand Market, because your Coppers are no longer in play.

(I had just figured I wouldn't buy one that turn because getting rid of the Coppers was better.  This was a nice surprise.)

There was actually a bug where you couldn't buy GM if you trashed coppers with Bonfire. Luckily, I found it before release.

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 11, 2016, 04:34:43 pm »
+1

Quest is a good counter to Haunted Woods if you have a spare buy.
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 11, 2016, 05:00:58 pm »
+1

Quest is neat for Tunnel activation.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 12, 2016, 03:03:33 am »
+1

Better yet, Scouting Party and Quest with Tunnel on the board.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 12, 2016, 06:31:55 pm »
+3

MF has released a new version that fixes some of the bugs y'all've been seeing.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 13, 2016, 01:02:41 pm »
+3

Did anyone play with three or more events yet? The more matches I play, the more suspicious I get that they deviated from full random about this one.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 13, 2016, 02:58:23 pm »

Did anyone play with three or more events yet? The more matches I play, the more suspicious I get that they deviated from full random about this one.
I think that is according to rules:
Quote from: Adventures Rules
For normal play we recommend using at most two Events per game; skip any further Events.
http://riograndegames.com/getFile.php?id=1907

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 13, 2016, 03:00:43 pm »
+3

For normal play we recommend using at most two Events per game; skip any further Events.

It's recommended, but not a rule - just like the 3-5 Alchemy "rule". I am very sure MF doesn't know this as I have never ever seen a 3 event game.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #160 on: May 13, 2016, 03:20:32 pm »

It's recommended, but not a rule - just like the 3-5 Alchemy "rule". I am very sure MF doesn't know this as I have never ever seen a 3 event game.

It's a good recommendation though, unlike the 3-5 Alchemy "rule".
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 13, 2016, 03:55:55 pm »

It's a good recommendation though, unlike the 3-5 Alchemy "rule".

Good one? It's certainly a few magnitudes better than the Alchemy rule, but I don't think the fun decreases very much with a third Event in the Kingdom every 20(?) or so games. A bit more often with Empires, but still.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 13, 2016, 04:15:45 pm »
+3

Please no 3 Event Kingdoms. It's hard enough to think on some boards dealing with a 12-card Kingdom.

Even some 10-card kingdoms are pretty complex.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #163 on: May 13, 2016, 04:20:16 pm »
+6

I'm not fond of having Kingdoms with more than 2 Events/Landmarks. It causes way too much AP.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 04:36:57 pm by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 13, 2016, 04:39:17 pm »
+3

I'm not very fond of Kingdoms that include the card Governor, but that doesn't mean the official standard random kingdom selection should fulfill my or anyone elses wishes.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 13, 2016, 04:44:50 pm »
+5

I'm not very fond of Kingdoms that include the card Governor, but that doesn't mean the official standard random kingdom selection should fulfill my or anyone elses wishes.

Well, you can play however you want, but personally I don't want to play games against randoms taking absurd amounts of time to make decisions. I prefer Pro mode to be at 2 Events maximum.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 13, 2016, 04:52:40 pm »

Well, you can play however you want, but personally I don't want to play games against randoms taking absurd amounts of time to make decisions. I prefer Pro mode to be at 2 Events maximum.

I do realize we both can play however we want, but I thought I made it clear that I'm talking about standard random. I don't see how your point should trump the official rules, you should have bribed Donald before releasing Adventures if it's that important to you.

Also, I've never played with three events ever, and I don't necessarily think it's more fun than the way it is now. I have no personal stakes in here, I just wanted to point out that it is (probably) not according to the rules.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 13, 2016, 04:56:14 pm »
+3

I do realize we both can play however we want, but I thought I made it clear that I'm talking about standard random. I don't see how your point should trump the official rules, you should have bribed Donald before releasing Adventures if it's that important to you.

Also, I've never played with three events ever, and I don't necessarily think it's more fun than the way it is now. I have no personal stakes in here, I just wanted to point out that it is (probably) not according to the rules.

The rules stipulate no way to randomize kingdoms at all. Full random with a maximum of two Events/Landmarks is great.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 13, 2016, 04:59:22 pm »

I can't really make a good comment on this because I'm not sure how the rulebook could have made a compromise recommending an 'official' format when technically Dominion doesn't have a lot of 'official' games that have to follow every rule to a T. I read the ruling as "you can do whatever you want, but you should probably limit it to 2," but I have the experience of mostly testing Adventures with a hard limit of 2, so I can understand someone thinking it's the other way around.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 13, 2016, 05:11:41 pm »

The rules stipulate no way to randomize kingdoms at all. Full random with a maximum of two Events/Landmarks is great.

I read instructions on how to randomize in the rulebook. That what the randomizers are for, no? I also read something by Donald who said that Dominion is designed to be played with random boards. Of course I can house-rule whatever I want, but that beside the point.

I don't dispute that random +two Events/Landmarks is great. Full random with zero Events is also great. I also had fun Kingdoms with 1 Event. I don't actually know how it is with three or more, but I've yet to hear a valid argument why Making Fun or any randomizer app should not include the possibility when you play FULL RANDOM.

I can't really make a good comment on this because I'm not sure how the rulebook could have made a compromise recommending an 'official' format when technically Dominion doesn't have a lot of 'official' games that have to follow every rule to a T. I read the ruling as "you can do whatever you want, but you should probably limit it to 2," but I have the experience of mostly testing Adventures with a hard limit of 2, so I can understand someone thinking it's the other way around.

Hmm, I think it's pretty easy. The rulebook also states that there should be ten Kingdom cards unless otherwise specified, I don't see why you couldn't make the same limitations for events if they were intended.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 13, 2016, 05:19:24 pm »
+1

I don't agree about full random, but there should be an option to custom make a board with more than 2 Events.

Argument as to why more than 2 is a bad idea: Too much going on at once... Unless you're a super genius who can take these additional variables into consideration. Me personally, that's just too much thinking and not fun at all.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 13, 2016, 05:23:59 pm »
+5

I don't agree about full random, but there should be an option to custom make a board with more than 2 Events.

Argument as to why more than 2 is a bad idea: Too much going on at once... Unless you're a super genius who can take these additional variables into consideration. Me personally, that's just too much thinking and not fun at all.

I do agree with this: an option to include more Events (at least in casual games) should be available.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 17, 2016, 02:56:01 pm »
+2

Ball causes you to gain cards, and activating the bonus on Port requires you to buy cards.

Expedition is a terrible idea when there's a discard attack on the board.  That ought to have been incredibly obvious though.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Max

• Baron
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 17, 2016, 03:40:25 pm »
+3

Ball causes you to gain cards, and activating the bonus on Port requires you to buy cards.

Expedition is a terrible idea when there's a discard attack on the board.  That ought to have been incredibly obvious though.

The second is a "not necessarily". Like the extra card from Margrave every attack. You get the best three of seven. This isn't edge casing either, if you don't want silver then it's getting you a possibly better hand plus a bit of cycling.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 18, 2016, 06:33:25 pm »
+4

Pathfinding/Cultist is just stupid.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  All

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 21 queries.