Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 30  All

Author Topic: Secret Hitler I [Round 12]  (Read 73319 times)

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
    • View Profile
Re: Secret Hitler I [Round 1]
« Reply #75 on: January 03, 2016, 06:43:50 pm »

I think I'm going to nominate at the end of today now that everyone has checked in.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2016, 07:15:00 pm »

Once gkrieg has made a nomination, you may start sending vote PMs.

Please place Secret Hitler Round X Vote: [Yes|No] in the subject line.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2016, 07:25:33 pm »

nominate: ADK

ghostofmars

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2016, 04:55:42 am »

Has some sense, but not really sure that's right. If fascist dont chose fascist law when president is liberal, than they either have to wait for their own turn and hope to draw 3 fascicsts or only make fascist-fascist teams which can easily be seen through.
Maybe veryearly, sure, enact a liberal one, but later, no way.
As far as I understood the main strategy for the fascists is to get Hitler elected. Every fascist chancellor that sacrifices himself to get a fascist law enacted is one potential fascist president less. So I can see one chancellor doing that to get the third fascist law and maybe in extreme cases two if they fall really behind in terms of enacted laws. But I doubt we see that before 2-3 liberal laws are enacted.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2016, 06:37:05 am »

What do people think about revealing the drawn cards. I think it is in our best interest that the president and the chancellor claim what cards they drew so that we can card count. Obviously, either of them could lie, but perhaps one can deduce a fascist from that...

I think, that like in mafia, bad guys want as few info shared as possible to increase confusion, the good guys want as much info as they can gather, so we definitely should share as much stuff as we can.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2016, 07:24:45 am »

So ADK, huh? I looked back on his posts, and this seems bad:

I don't think I would vote for a government with Archetype on it right now, just based on this post. How is math scummy?

If gkrieg nominates me I'll vote yes, otherwise I guess I'll have to wait until I see what tables is doing.

First, it is bad reasoning because Arch was only making a joke. But what's more, if ADK's top priority really was stopping Arch from getting into the government, he would vote yes for any of gkrieg's suggestions that do not include Arch.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 04, 2016, 11:12:45 am »

Waiting on votes from gkrieg and Grujah.

(This would be public information in an IRL game, as you'd be able to see whose hands aren't out for voting.)
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 04, 2016, 11:17:19 am »

Question: Do we want to claim votes? Then Grujah's decision will be more informed and we can learn more form it. I assume gkrieg will vote yes.

I voted No.

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 04, 2016, 11:33:54 am »

Question: Do we want to claim votes? Then Grujah's decision will be more informed and we can learn more form it. I assume gkrieg will vote yes.

I voted No.

I just voted. I had forgotten to do so. All votes will be revealed at the end of the voting.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 04, 2016, 11:35:42 am »

A bit late for that, alas.

gkrieg, ADK, Grujah, and Hydrad vote yes.  I'm on mobile so not typing out the nos.

By 5-4, no government is formed.  Archetype is now the Presidential candidate.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 04, 2016, 11:39:55 am »

Interesting.

I have a definite preference that the next government proposal should be successful. No need to nominate me; I will vote yes unless Tables or ADK are picked.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 04, 2016, 11:40:15 am »

Grujah, Hydrad, why did you vote yes?

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 04, 2016, 11:45:47 am »

Why did so many people vote no?

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 04, 2016, 11:48:04 am »

Why did so many people vote no?

I stated my reasons. Arch and Tables are no surprise.

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 04, 2016, 11:51:09 am »

Interesting.

I have a definite preference that the next government proposal should be successful. No need to nominate me; I will vote yes unless Tables or ADK are picked.

Is this because you don't want Tables to be President?

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 04, 2016, 12:13:31 pm »

Interesting.

Is this because you don't want Tables to be President?

Yes.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 04, 2016, 12:17:01 pm »

:( No love for me? Well I'd like to hear Arch's thoughts on everything since he's up next to nominate.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 04, 2016, 01:07:48 pm »

So ADK, huh? I looked back on his posts, and this seems bad:

I don't think I would vote for a government with Archetype on it right now, just based on this post. How is math scummy?

If gkrieg nominates me I'll vote yes, otherwise I guess I'll have to wait until I see what tables is doing.

First, it is bad reasoning because Arch was only making a joke. But what's more, if ADK's top priority really was stopping Arch from getting into the government, he would vote yes for any of gkrieg's suggestions that do not include Arch.

This seems like a big leap in logic. ADK said he wouldn't vote for a government with Arch on, that doesn't mean his top priority is stopping Arch getting into governement or that he would vote yes to any proposal not including Arch. Now obviously ADK can clarify if that's what he meant or not but this leap of reasoning just rubs me the wrong way.

A bit late for that, alas.

gkrieg, ADK, Grujah, and Hydrad vote yes.  I'm on mobile so not typing out the nos.

By 5-4, no government is formed.  Archetype is now the Presidential candidate.

4 Yes votes, that's rather surprising. gkrieg and ADK voting yes is unsurprising. Grujah and Hydrad is a little more surprising. Got a good reason to trust this team, either of you? Or well more generally, why did you vote yes?
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 04, 2016, 02:39:16 pm »

Grujah, Hydrad, why did you vote yes?

I did not really like this government, I'd prefer one where chancellor cannot be president soon.
However, much like ADK I didn't really like Archetype's "comment", so he is the one I trust the least, so I would have to shoot down that government, and would be forced to vote Tables. I'd rather not put myself in situation where I am force to vote yes.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 04, 2016, 04:21:51 pm »

Remember that you aren't forced to vote for my mission, it can be voted down to get a random card from the deck. That's not a good thing, as we've already established, but it's not quite as terrible as being forced to vote yes or instantly lose as in Resistance.

And right now, I don't find Arch's comment suspicious. Maybe there's something in it I'm missing, but it seemed rather tongue in cheek (heck it started with a vote for his suspicion, that seems like a pretty clear indicator to me), and well everything else that followed was just first post nonsense. But it got people talking and discussing suspicions, and honestly that's probably a good thing. I'm not saying I trust Arch either, just that I find it odd to jump on him based on what was effectively a RVS first post.

However something else I feel is worth pointing out is, I think that a lot like in Resistance, in this game it's more important to find one or two people that you trust, rather than aiming to scumhunt. Obviously, the latter is important, but unless you can nail Hitler, it's much more important to find one or two people you feel confident having as President and/or Chancellor. So rather than looking for who you are most suspicious of, it's better to look for who you think you can trust the most.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Hydrad

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hidrad
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 04, 2016, 04:30:59 pm »

I voted yes because uh. I dunno we don't have any info yet and I figured that would give us some info.
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 04, 2016, 04:35:58 pm »

I voted yes because uh. I dunno we don't have any info yet and I figured that would give us some info.

Based on this post I would be more likely to vote for a team with hydrad on it
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 04, 2016, 04:59:55 pm »

However something else I feel is worth pointing out is, I think that a lot like in Resistance, in this game it's more important to find one or two people that you trust, rather than aiming to scumhunt. Obviously, the latter is important, but unless you can nail Hitler, it's much more important to find one or two people you feel confident having as President and/or Chancellor. So rather than looking for who you are most suspicious of, it's better to look for who you think you can trust the most.

It is also important, especially as it is 5v4, to have at least one fascist pegged down so that if a liberal gets a bullet, it has a decent target. Liberal president trying to kill "this very liberal guy cuz it might be Hitler" and missing brings us to 4-4 which is really bad, so it is, I think, wiser to shoot a more probably regular fascist than a maybe Hitler.

Also, I am getting much better at spelling fascist, few post earlier I had like 2/10 accuracy, I am at least at 6/10 now :D

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 04, 2016, 05:30:21 pm »

I find ghostofmars towny, so I'd be likely to invite him to be my Chancellor.

Based on the votes, I am not too suspicious of Hydrad for voting Yes since, based on how he's played Mafia, something I expect him to do to 'gain more information'. I don't like the reasoning for Grujah's vote because I don't see what was so scummy about my initial post and it seems sort of like a cop out. But anyway...

What do people think about giving the Chancellor a choice, rather than forcing a specific type policy? Obviously forcing a liberal policy near the end of the game would be the best move, but I've read that forcing players early game to make that commitment is a valid way to detect individuals. Also, I think all Presidents should not try to get fascist policies passed so that they get a power...that should be a side affect and not the goal.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 04, 2016, 06:38:40 pm »

I find ghostofmars towny, so I'd be likely to invite him to be my Chancellor.

I agree that ghost seems towny.

I also agree that "giving a choice" is a good idea. At least early, before 3 liberal policies or so.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 30  All

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 16 queries.