Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: More games with fan-made cards (LF, Asper, CookieLord)  (Read 1664 times)

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
More games with fan-made cards (LF, Asper, CookieLord)
« on: June 07, 2015, 02:47:36 am »
+5

LFE=Last Footnote's Enterprise. CRR=Cookielord's Roots & Renewal. ASP=Asper's cards. RSG=my Resurgence expansion. ofm=other fanmade.
Each game had three players which is how I usually play IRL.

Game 1 kingdom: Bandit Camp, Wharf, Hermit, Mountebank, Gardens, Dignitary (LFE), Reparations (CRR), Masquerade, Traveller's Village (ofm), Hunting Grounds
(Traveller's village is kindof a mix between andwilk's Nomadic Village from the Hinterland's contest and the "Forest Village" card someone else posted a couple months ago...)
Traveller's Village
$4 cost - Action
+2 Actions.
You may look through your discard pile and put an action card from it into your hand that is not a Traveller's Village. If you don't, discard a card and +1 card.
(I added the "that is not a Traveller's Village" part after the 1st game we played with this card because the obvious thing to do was play all your traveller's villages from your discard pile first and then get something else.)
Great gardens board, but Reparations became maybe a little too powerful when the Curses and Traveller's Villages ran out. The version of Dignitary I used was similar to the one here, but had my suggestion of "When another player plays an attack card, you may discard this. If you do, +1 card and trash a card." as the reaction. Probably, LF's current version is better, but this one worked pretty well.

Game 2 kingdom: Money Launderer (CRR), Excavation (ofm), Shanty Town, Market Square, Hermit, Ironmonger, Bazaar, Ancestral Crypt (RSG), Harem, Hireling
(Excavation is a slightly modded version of jamespotter's Garderobe from the Dark Ages contest)
Excavation
$2 cost - Action
+1 Action. If the ruins pile is empty: +$1. Otherwise: +$2. Gain a Ruins, putting it into your hand. You may play an Action card from your hand costing less than $3.
I had hoped to get a good match up with Money Launderer (making copper cost $1 more) and Ancestral Crypt (trashes and gains a coin token for each trashed card costing more than $0), but we never got those cards to line up before the game ended. However, Money Launderer did come in handy for me to get rid of coppers at the beginning and get the $2 from the coppers near the game's end. It's a cool card. I got one hireling in play pretty early, and another player got two in play early. The person with two hirelings in play won.

Game 3: Courtyard, Watchtower, Haven, Traveller's Village (ofm), Procession, Magpie, Illusionist (LA), Barrister (LFE), Festival, Necromancer (ASP).
The versions of Barrister and Domain we used were the ones in this post. The version of Necromancer is the one in this post, but I modded Zombie a little. This was the version I used:
Zombie
Cost $4*. Action - Attack
+1 Action. +$1.
Each other player reveals the top 2 cards of his deck, trashes one costing from $3 to $6, and discards the rest. If any cards costing more then $4 are trashed, trash this.
(This is not in the supply.)
Illusionist comes in handy on this board to make Magpie into a Lab even when it didn't reveal a treasure sometimes, or call Gold an action card when revealed by another player's Barrister, or to take Gold from your discard pile with Traveller's Village, or double-play and trash a treasure with Procession. It's a fun card (but I'm biased). Necromancer and Barrister are both fun cards, and Necromancer/Zombie has a possiblity of stealing other players' Domains as well as Barrister. Dispite adding +1 Action to Zombie, we only once had more than one played in the same turn, and my Zombie mod didn't seem too powerful. About half the time, it seemed like a good idea to take something besides Zombie from the trash with Necromancer, and it works well that way. Also, I won this game because I had acquired all three domains. I like Domain as a victory card.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +864
    • View Profile
Re: More games with fan-made cards (LF, Asper, CookieLord)
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 11:15:43 am »
+1

Thank you for playing with our cards and sharing your experiences here! :) You already mentioned a couple months ago you would play with cards from different fanmade expansions so it's cool you stuck to it. Obviously, I'm particularly interested in your experiences with my own cards.
It's great you liked Money Launderer, although a bit sad you didn't get to benefit from its Copper cost increase. This is the most marginal function of the card and frankly, I've never effectively used it in a single game so far. I guess you need to go for mass ML + some trash-for-benefit card to really make that thing work (you know, where you turn Coppers into Golds and whatnot).
As for Reparations, would you say it was just very powerful on this particular board, or a little overpowered in general? Did you and your friends like the card?
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 11:13:44 pm »

We did like Reparations. It just seemed slightly overpowered when there gets to be two piles empty. That's probably uncommon enough that being slightly underpowered before any piles are gone makes up for it. We've only played the one game with it so far, and it was a gardens board when piles are more likely to run out. It's probably fine. I wouldn't change it unless it still seems to want a change after further testing.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 02:38:30 am »
+2

Another fun game with some fan-made cards:

Kingdom: Haunted Woods, Archaeologist, Haggler, Troglodyte Caves, Arsonist, Young Witch, Gear, Tunnel, Tavern, Amulet, bane: Coin of the Realm.
Event: Travelling Fair.
It was a 2-player game.

Between Arsonist and Young Witch, the curses ran out quickly. Then each of us trashed our Young witch with Arsonist to give out ruins. Amulet, Arsonist, and Troglodyte's on-gain effect combined to provide decently strong trashing, although my opponent preferred to use Trog's on-gain effect for gaining cards. Tavern and Gear also helped to line up junk cards with trashing cards. Because the trashing was strong enough, Haunted Woods was not as strong an attack as I thought it might be on this board, but of course the next turn +3 cards effect is the main attraction for that card.
My opponent used Coin of the Realm's village effect often. I bought only one with a $2 hand, used it to block one curse, and then it sat on my tavern mat for the rest of the game.
The first four cards I bought were Arsonist, Silver, Young Witch and Tunnel, followed quickly by an Amulet and a few Taverns, and I won with a 5-3 province split.

Fan cards used:
Troglodyte Caves
$5 - Action
+1 Card, +1 Action.
Discard any number of cards. +1 Card per card discarded.
-
When you gain this, you may choose a card you have in play costing less than this. Gain a copy of it or trash it.
by ChocophileBenj (I modded it slightly, but don't remember what the difference between this and the original is).
It's cellar with +1 Card and a useful on-gain effect. This is the 2nd time I've played with this card, and I like it.

Archaeologist
$5 - Action - Duration
+1 Card, +1 Action.
Now and next turn: Put the top card of the Ruins pile on the bottom, then gain the effect of the top ruins.
-
While this card is in play, when you gain a ruins or a copper, put it in your hand and play it on your turn.
I've cheated with this card by having an associated 'in games using this' rule that doesn't fit on the card: Add one extra Ruins card to the ruins pile. When there is only one ruins left, no more ruins can be gained and it counts as an empty supply pile, but the last ruins card remains for Archaeologist's effect. That didn't matter this game anyway because the ruins didn't run out.
It's loosely based on a card of the same name by Aidan Millow.

Arsonist
$4 - Action - Attack
Trash a card from your hand. If it is an… Action card, each other player gains a Ruins; Treasure card, gain a Spoils from the Spoils pile; Victory card, each other player gains a Curse.
by GwinnR (pretty sure the only change I made was making it cost $4 instead of $5.  EDIT: Oh yeah, I also changed the name. Originally it was called Incendiarist.).
I've played with this one a few times, and I've come to the conclusion that it's a great idea for an attack card.

Tavern
Cost $3 - Action
+2 Actions, +2 Cards.
Put a card from your hand on top of your deck. Put a card from your hand on the bottom of your deck.
by NoMoreFun
A nice $3-cost village.

Arsonist, Troglodyte Caves, and the original version of Archaeologist were from LastFootnote's fan card contests which is where I got my first list of fan-made cards I wanted to try out.
Planning on starting a thread with a list of fan-made card which aren't mine, but that I've played with at least twice and liked them. I have about 15 cards on this list so far, but most of them are older ones from the fan card contests, so I was thinking I'd wait to post the list until I had more recent fan made cards on it.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 02:40:46 am by LibraryAdventurer »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 21 queries.