Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 79  All

Author Topic: RMM26: Mistborn Mafia (Game Over!)  (Read 196960 times)

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
Re: RMM26: Mistborn Mafia (Day 2)
« Reply #925 on: July 13, 2015, 05:34:29 pm »

Uh yeah. I did say some stuff about the game--but I know what you mean. I feel bad, because this level of activity isn't normal for me at all  :(

I think you're townie. I don't think faust's death says much about e's alignment. XP lynch was super last minute; he's difficult for me to read. The confusion about claims/alignments is pretty understandable to me--given the dual meanings of survivor in Mafia and the flavor meaning.

PPE: 1

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: July 13, 2015, 05:36:49 pm »

@Ichi:  Do you think EFHW looks townier than TA based on the way the end of the day yesterday went down?  Or is TA more likely to be town?  Or is that null to you?

Any other thoughts on the very end of the XP lynch?

And what do you think of how people are treating Faust's reads?

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: July 13, 2015, 05:43:54 pm »

Sorry I'm not more invested in this right now - things have been... interesting, in a bad way, over the weekend. I should be able to re-read tonight and maybe provide more opinion than "Interesting."

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: July 13, 2015, 05:54:30 pm »

It's odd. I tend to TA being scummier in that exchange.

Mm. Not especially. XP gets mislynched fairly often. I don't recall a lot of the specifics surrounding his lynch, but it seemed kind of like a good proxy?

Eh. faust's reads are maybe more important since he was the NK. But I don't see any way to tell why exactly he was NK'd. Maybe it's just because he's a strong player and people were afraid of him. Maybe there was PR hunting going on. So yeah, I don't see how basing votes or reads just off of faust's death is the best direction to take today.

PPE: hope everything is well with you and your family chairs.

Hydrad

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hidrad
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: July 13, 2015, 05:55:13 pm »

Hmm so right now its basically TA vs e?

I'm fine with either right now. I guess I lean a bit on the TA side for voting though.
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #930 on: July 13, 2015, 06:07:03 pm »

I'm fine with either right now. I guess I lean a bit on the TA side for voting though.

If we weren't going to lynch TA or e, who would you vote for?

Hydrad

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hidrad
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: July 13, 2015, 06:15:53 pm »

If we weren't going to lynch TA or e, who would you vote for?

I'm still getting a scummy vibe from hockey I guess. Most other people are still close to null for me. Its hard with this many people in the game.
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: July 13, 2015, 09:13:49 pm »

Vote Count 2.4:

2.7 (3): EFHW, hockeysemlan, silverspawn
TwistedArcher (3):  UmbrageOfSnow, 2.7, Seprix
EFHW (1): witherweaver
WW (1): gkrieg13

Not Voting (7): chairs, IG, Ghacob, Hydrad, EgorK, TA, mail-mi

With 15 alive, it takes 8 to lynch.

Day 2 ends on July 17 at 9:00 p.m.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: July 13, 2015, 09:52:58 pm »

we are not that far from deadline.

We have about less than 4 days. Why are you trying to put a sense of urgency to this?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: July 13, 2015, 10:09:10 pm »

Isn't winning more fun than lurking?

Yes!  Things have lightened up, I shall no longer be a lurker (this week)!

I reread e.  Working it up now.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: July 13, 2015, 10:12:17 pm »

We have about less than 4 days. Why are you trying to put a sense of urgency to this?

Because we have less than 4 days. That seems very very short to me.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: July 13, 2015, 10:14:32 pm »

Because we have less than 4 days. That seems very very short to me.

Not trying to look for another reason to lynch you, but less than 4 days isn't rush mode time.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: July 13, 2015, 11:19:31 pm »

Anything in particular I should be rereading?

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: July 13, 2015, 11:21:01 pm »

Anything in particular I should be rereading?

My personal reads would be e, TA, UoS, Ghacob, and Hokey off the top of my head. I'd do it, but I have a lot to do. If I don't fall asleep tonight, I can provide some reads.

Ghacob

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gender
  • J. They/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: July 14, 2015, 12:15:51 am »

I've been stuck in that terrible dillemma where I've gone far too long without posting, but I also don't have any new insights to post about, which I guess is what rereading is good for

I'll do that then
e, TA, UoS, Ghacob, and Hokey
Sounds about right, I'll return at some point
Gender happened.

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: July 14, 2015, 01:05:14 am »

This took way too long.  NOTE:  I have my posts displayed most recent last, so my numbers may be 1 less than yours.

at 105 (1st post) e OMGUS votes XP, who had voted him at 73 for lurking.
174-177 are all jokes
193  "Since when did scum focus so much on pushing "slips".  I don't think Seprix is scummy because of it." 
194  votes Hydrad for buddying
197 realizes he had confused what Hydrad said, but doesn't unvote.
236 (13 hours later) "As mentioned previously, slips are easily enough constructed. We just don't need any more "slips""

13 hours isn't a really long time, but leaving his vote up when it was based on a misunderstanding does distort the game just a bit.  I guess as about as much as an RVS vote would.  I am also having trouble understanding what he is trying to say here.  The statements are both true, but I can't make them fit together.

238 votes XP  "Mentioning his pm as a defense of chairs then voting him? I could totally see 1 scum/1 town here and I think xp is more likely the scum"

This post got some attention because he creates the 1 scum/1 town opposition.  It took me a long time to find it b/c XP voted first, and then qualified his vote based on his pm.  So that doesn't seem like defending.  Maybe 2.7 read them in the wrong order - I've done that once already this game.

Regarding his comment, I find XP's posts a weak justification for a 1:1 narrative, since e didn't mention anything chairs was doing that fit that theory, and XP just seems ambivalent about his vote.  What's the problem with hypothesizing a 1:1 situation?  Scum would like to have the game split into disagreeing factions and two town wagons opposing each other is bonus. (if chairs turns out to be scum, I'll have to make you cookies or something!)

239 joke
250 Seprix asks XP to respond to e's vote and reasoning.  e says: "I am not claiming anything. I am making inferences based on available evidence. And those inferences lead me to think xp is scum. What makes you think that chairs' slip is scummier than xp's?"  e hadn't said he was voting XP for a slip.  I guess he's referring to the breadcrumbing comment, but he hadn't mentioned it at all until now.

254 This is where I really started to think e might be scum.  He explains the 1 scum/1 town reasoning as XP looking for towncred by saying his pm is similar to chairs', which he'll get because e said chairs seemed towny, and by association when chairs flips town.  I get the scum narrative here a bit better than I did before.  'If XP is scum trying to get towncred off of chairs, then chairs must be town, so 1 scum/1 town.' 

But I really don't get what he said next: "Then, accounting for the possibility of scim!chairs I said 1 scum/1 town.  I don't think 2 scum will go around claiming similar PMs. I mean, 2 town is totally possible, but meh."  Why wouldn't scum claim similar PM's?  Scum have been known to do all sorts of things.  Accounting for scum!chairs with the 1:1 theory doesn't make sense to me at all, b/c chairs wasn't acting like XP, and the scum narrative about XP no longer works.  And "meh" re: the 2 town possibility?  No way!  Seeing as town undoubtedly outnumber scum by a large margin (one hopes!), why discard that possibility so casually?

255  He reads XP as claiming a different alignment from chairs, which isn't a surprising inference seeing as XP said he thought chairs' and his own alignments had nothing to do with each other. 

256 Defends Seprix (second time he does this - the first was when he didn't find commenting on the slip to be scummy). "Also, what did Seprix do to get 5 votes? Not have his Mario avatar? That cat one is strange"

259 XP no longer thinks e is scummy and switches his vote from chairs to gkrieg.  He also thinks egorK is towny for "I'm not persuaded yet".  262 e challenges both these statements, and I can see where he is coming from.  XP is not making a lot of sense right here, and his response is to go back to chairs!

265 shouldn't punish lurkers yet, it's the 4th of July.
267 joke
286 faust finds e scummy b/c he is fake.
307 "It is not fake.  It is D1" - personal pet peeve here, I always find "it's Day 1" to be scummy.
339 explains RMM to gkrieg
342 silverspawn voted hockey for saying gkrieg was obv!town, silver had just made case against gkrieg.
343 defends gkrieg as genuinely noobish (second time; first was when XP voted gkrieg)
344 e quotes silvers 342, says "but yeah, I am not going obv!town on gkrieg."
345 faust votes e.
346 e does post count, calls out to lurkers.  Says he won't be around for a day.
347 sarcastic joke/accusation, XP is sending message to partner.
348 spells out why XP's gkrieg vote is scummy, making more sense. Finishes with "Again, nothing concrete, but for D1....?  I like XP"

It looks to me like starting with silverspawn's comment at 342, e got a bit spooked.  He defends himself without having been accused at 344. 345 faust votes him, putting pressure on him.  346 mentions deadline; does post count; makes call out to lurkers - trying to look towny? 347 gets mean 348 hedges his case for the first time.

397 Response to faust:  "I am saying that I don't think gkrieg is scum.  Also, I have been tunneling XP, so that is not necessarily "blending in without contributing a lot."  You could join in the discussion as to why XP is scummy, or do you not want to do that to your partner?" 

Here is the 3rd time he defends gkrieg - b/c partners, or white knighting?  Gets mean again.

401 EFHW votes 2.7

407 lists the XP posts that he finds scummy.  He doesn't really make a case, because he doesn't explain why they seem scummy to him, but obviously a lot of us agreed with him about XP's scumminess.  Doesn't mention the 1 scum/1 town theory.  This part concerned me: "Then the breadcrumbing post.  "maybe I should do some breadcrumbing."  XP is obviously excited about his role and excited to be playing.  This might actually go either way, now that I think about it.  For now, I will say he is excited about being scum."  Again he seems too casually ok with reading XP as scum and dismisses the town alternative.

411 Denies tunnel vision b/c his mind is open.
432 "It means that I have an open mind to the matter.  Right now I think XP is the scummiest player.  I will post accordingly.  I will let you know when that changes."
434 mentions deadline again.

This sequence feels like he might be buddying UoS:
479  Anything is a feasible lynch right now; Quotes OP re: plurality lynch;  Likes TA's post; Going to reread UoS
481 reassures UoS: "I sometimes skim when trying to catch up.  I don't think it is you in general."
485 strong town read on UoS with reasons
487 defends UoS from TA. 

Here, e gets mean again, and I guess I'm missing something b/c it seems like an overreaction to me:
516 silver votes Seprix "Seprix, nothing you say makes sense. I have to vote for you now."  518 IG votes seprix 519 Seprix: Man, you guys suck. :(" 520 silver explains how Seprix looks scummy. 521 Seprix posts silver's earlier case on Hockey, "...And then everyone voted for Hockey." 522 Seprix: "I also read this as Hockey talking to Kraig for some stupid f***ing reason." 523 2.7: "I can't explain why you think that this is Hockey talking to gkrieg.  But like you said yourself, you believe it for whatever reason you do.  Apparently a stupid one." 524 Seprix: "Worst part is, I can't explain it either. I honestly don't even know what's going on anymore." 525 2.7 "He built a case, people liked it, and voted.  Thats what you do."

at 477 chairs said "I like XP > Kriegermeister, and whoever SS votes for over anything else because he's making a lot of sense to me."  528 e quotes him, "This sounds like town!chairs to me"

569 reads list, consistent with his posts.
573 explains to gkrieg why majority lynch is preferable to plurality.
599 TA votes e, doesn't really say why.  Also finds seprix and especially UoS scummy. 
600 e explains what he meant by 50/50
601 "And TA just realized how scummy his seprix vote was"
604 "Then why are you not voting UoS? This makes no sense unless you are trying to just go with the popular wagon. Which is scummy. Vote: TA"
606 "Quote fail. But seriously. TA is voting me. Awesome. Good for him. Switched to the "useful" wagon. Realizes it was a bad idea, then switches back to me. Scummy. I would call it scummy of he was switching back and forth like that on anyone."  He had a good point about TA's switch, so adding onto it with sarcasm reads defensive to me.
651 "Oh, and can we review that "case" on me? I looked for one, but just found a bunch of gut reads from people. "
707 Defends Seprix, but will vote him to save himself.  Wants TA lynched b/c of voting history.

708  "I still have yet to hear from anyone on my wagon why I am such a great lynch. I expect that there are plenty of town on the wagon because of that. Scum wouldn't just gut read a case as much as town."  This doesn't make sense to me.  Scum are more likely to claim gut reads b/c they are trying to get innocent town lynched.  I think he is trying to seem towny, maybe ingratiate himself to the people on his wagon.

730  votes XP.  cheers on the quicklynch of XP.  Not surprising, since he is at risk and had said XP is scummy all game.

736 /sheepvote EFHW for questioning the quick buildup of the XP wagon and for voting a non-viable wagon.
737 I think he is prodding IG here.
738 tells gkrieg to vote for XP.
740 Gives a vote count. Mentions deadline again.  "I won't be around much longer unfortunately, which means I won't get to make a defense against faust's stance on me when he finally puts it out there.  As far as I can tell he doesn't like my case on XP.  Probably a bit more to it than that."  joke I don't get: "Guess, what, these claims work really well late in the day with this lynch system.  Don't worry everyone, we will be sure to have 4 claimed cops by D3."  renews vote on XP.

743 reposts list of scummy XP posts. Joke: "Sure, some of these things go either way.  Town, scum, flip a coin.  I did, and it landed on XP being scum.  Nothing since I made this case has changed my mind.  That last post I just quoted makes me even more convinced."

744 "Have to run now.  There is a chance I will be back the last 15 minutes or so before deadline, but can't be certain."  He didn't make it back,  deadline came an hour early.

750 EFHW revotes e.  767 gkrieg votes e, making it a tie.

DAY 2
851 faust nk doesn't equal e scum.  WIFOM.  Scum killed him b/c he was towny.
871 sheeps UoS voting TA, citing voting history
912 Can't let game fall behind; TA super scummy; TA not voting him b/c will look bad when flip happens.  Kind of a surprising thing to say, since it brings attention to his target flipping town the night before.
913 "Basically, implying that I am scum but not voting for me just because of appearances is scummy.
If you actually think there is a case for me being scum, let me hear it. But you don't, because scum!TA knows I am town"
914 Hi to mail-mi.

So, almost all of this case is based on how you read him.  His votes have not been particularly scummy.  There's no one he seems obviously partnered with.  But to me, 2.7 reads as 1. overly defensive and 2. overly cavalier about deciding XP must be scum. Also, his arguments several times didn't make sense to me, when usually I find him pretty coherent.  I also feel like he overdid trying to look towny.  Finally, I think he is doing a lot of white knighting - his consistent defenses of certain people makes me wonder if he picked ahead of time who would be his townreads, and who would be his scumreads.

EgorK

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: July 14, 2015, 03:08:08 am »

I'm still trying to make sense out of XP flip and can't. Not lore-wise (though people who read books more recently can probably help here?), not play-wise.

EFHV, thanks for e reread. I hope to contribute someone's reread myself before D2 is over

hockeysemlan

• Steward
  • If you're in Gothenburg: Meet me in the Dungeon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: July 14, 2015, 03:16:53 am »

I've been stuck in that terrible dillemma where I've gone far too long without posting, but I also don't have any new insights to post about, which I guess is what rereading is good for

I'll do that then
e, TA, UoS, Ghacob, and Hokey
Sounds about right, I'll return at some point

This. I can't say anything more than "lynch e", so well.. that's what I say. I really think that is the best idea, right now.

Upon EFHWs reread his playstyle is very similar to scum!e in hearthstone, especially the whiteknighting bit. I think this is the most solide lynch we're going to get.
No win is caused by luck. Not a single one. Losses on the other hand...

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: July 14, 2015, 04:39:43 am »

All, this is to let you know that I am beginning a big trip tomorrow and will not be in one place for more than ten days for the next six weeks.  I should always have Internet access every day and this game is my priority.

Just wanted you all to know.  Thanks for your understanding.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: July 14, 2015, 09:11:00 am »

vote: e.

EFHW's reread feels pretty convincing to me.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #945 on: July 14, 2015, 11:14:22 am »

EFHW: Thanks!  That must have been a lot of work, but now we can finally see where you're coming from.

I don't agree because your basic points about not liking e's logic don't apply for me: I understand and agree with e on most of the places you didn't understand what e was getting at (with the exception of the 1-scum-1-town thing, which is what the case on e boils down to from where I'm sitting, which I don't find nearly enough, but now can see why you do.)

The Hockey and Geekrig wagons that half-started did stand out as terrible to me too, and XP looked pretty scummy to me.  Rather than argue individual points though, you and TA are thinking a lot of this from a meta POV:

Could you or TA suggest a scum game of e's that you think goes with what you're getting at?  And e, could you suggest a town game of yours I could look at?

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: July 14, 2015, 01:00:13 pm »

EFHW: Thanks!  That must have been a lot of work, but now we can finally see where you're coming from.

I don't agree because your basic points about not liking e's logic don't apply for me: I understand and agree with e on most of the places you didn't understand what e was getting at (with the exception of the 1-scum-1-town thing, which is what the case on e boils down to from where I'm sitting, which I don't find nearly enough, but now can see why you do.)

The Hockey and Geekrig wagons that half-started did stand out as terrible to me too, and XP looked pretty scummy to me.  Rather than argue individual points though, you and TA are thinking a lot of this from a meta POV:

Could you or TA suggest a scum game of e's that you think goes with what you're getting at?  And e, could you suggest a town game of yours I could look at?

what, where have i done this? i think i have definitely pointed out individual points d1 rather than making this a meta argument. please point out where i did this

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: July 14, 2015, 01:01:42 pm »

what, where have i done this? i think i have definitely pointed out individual points d1 rather than making this a meta argument. please point out where i did this

also efhw just made an entire post based on individual points, not on meta. i don't know what you're getting at here.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: July 14, 2015, 02:01:44 pm »

Sweet Donald X.  What the hell kind of reaction is that?

EFHW's post was super helpful, and there's nothing wrong with meta.  Referencing a specific post or not is independent of whether or not something is a meta argument.

I recall your case being "e is acting towny in a way that feels like scum!e".  And you were incredibly unhelpful in actually laying it out with specifics on Day 1, btw.  But I really can't see why you're acting like I'm criticizing EFHW?

Or why you'd have that reaction if I were?

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: July 14, 2015, 02:03:40 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 79  All

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 17 queries.